• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XII Zodiac Age trailer (2017, PS4 REMASTER!!!!!!)

Dennis

Banned
Of all the remasters this was the one I wanted the most.

Unlike FFVII I don't think we needed a remake anyway so this remaster is exactly what I want - the nternational zodiac job system but with updated graphics.

I am in so very hard for the PC version though maybe that won't be until 2018.

Of all the modern FF games (FFVII onwards) - FFXII is the best. I really thought they brought the franchise a needed step forward.

I wouldn't mind an updated FFVIII either though.

It says 2017, and there's no reason for it not to be a worldwide release. Not long to go!

Yeah I think with how Japan has been with this current gen they are gonna do worldwide releases now. That's what they're doing with XV now hell they had the release date announcement in the US for that game.

OmegaDL50

Instead of HD Collections last gen we get HD Remasters this gen

I wouldn't call that exciting, but I'm not against games that do need Remasters, like FF XII Zodiac.

Considering how most of the Remasters don't take away from new games being made, I really don't think it's a problem anyways.

Case in point BluePoint Games handled the Nathan Drake Collection which means Naughty Dog could concentrate on their own stuff.

Just like how FFX / X-2 HD Remaster was handled by Virtuous and not in-house at Square-Enix, and the same goes for Silicon Studio Thailand for the recent FF9 re-release too.

While it does pad the library somewhat. I'd rather have these remasters exist than not.

I see them often in my daily Expert dungeon.

Also to reiterate another point:

judgemagisters.png

FFXIV-Judge02.jpg
Garlean Empire felt like a mix of FF VI Magitek and FF XII Judges.

It was the main story element or aesthetic that kept me interested and motivated.

OmegaDL50

Yeah I think with how Japan has been with this current gen they are gonna do worldwide releases now. That's what they're doing with XV now hell they had the release date announcement in the US for that game.

Shame not all Japanese game studios aim for the goal of simultaneous worldwide release.

Atlus for example could take note, but that is a subject for another time.

hmm, textures look really bad.

Considering how compressed they were in the original PS2 releases. The Remastered screens are substantial improvement.

tuxfool

Banned
Considering how compressed they were in the original PS2 releases. The Remastered screens are substantial improvement.

Only if you played on a ps2. The environment textures in some of the screens look improved but we haven't seen enough to really judge.

skelekey

I've been waiting ages for this announcement. I will be downloading this day one. Now if they can fix the draw system in FFVIII so that it doesn't take forever and remaster that, then that would be great. That's all I want.

hollomat

Banned
I'm really hoping this comes out for vita as well. The ffx remaster on vita worked so well and is probably my favorite vita game so far. But if not vita, hopefully for PC.

Can i assume this isn't coming this year just because they don't want it to clash with their other big title?

edit: there are people who think this game's dub is bad?
back when this game came out, i thought "finally, dubs will be like this now!!"

ff13 proved me wrong, however.

Son Of D

Can i assume this isn't coming this year just because they don't want it to clash with their other big title?

Pretty much. Announcing it in June and releasing in July or August would be too short a time. September and October are too close to XV. World of FF is still due for this year. And a remaster of a 10 year old game would get overshadowed big time by the big end of year releases. SE will probably release this in Feb or March which should be quieter times to release a smaller title like this.

Plus as I mentioned it gets it out in FF's 30th anniversary year so could be listed as part of the celebration.

edit: there are people who think this game's dub is bad?
back when this game came out, i thought "finally, dubs will be like this now!!"

ff13 proved me wrong, however.
could be... I'd wager if it could have released in June or July, it may have been -- good summer game that 'wets the appetite' for a similarly 'open world/real time/use of AI' FF XIV. But anything too much in the fall (or the holiday shopping/marketing season) could definitely be a factor

plus if there's a big gap in first-half 2017 this helps plug that.

Arkeband

Banned
Are you guys smoking the dope

FF12 is a hybrid ATB game
FF14 is a standard MMO hotbar masher

You could argue the art style is similar sometimes but that's about it

You wouldn't compare WoW to FF12

TriAceJP

Turbo mode is the real story here. I remember using the cheat to run like 10x speed. Love that it's included.

Cool thing about the turbo mode is that unlike using a similar feature in an emulator, the music stays at the correct speed.

Not even slightly. I never hear anyone make the argument for XenoBlade but FFXII uses a similar system, and a better one to boot.

People be cray cray.

FF12 isn't ATB at all. In FF12, you wait for attacks to happen and magic takes time to be cast much like an mmo. It was a deliberate design decision to be as similar to an MMO as possible because Matsuno loved FF11.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
The weakest FF finally gets a remaster. I don't understand why this game gets so much love. The story and characters are pathetic.

I wouldn't say it's the weakest... It's not Japan's favorite for sure (that title belongs to FFVII/FFX) but it's GAF's favorite.

It's not my favorite though, maybe a bit lower than FFV.

The weakest belongs to FFII.

yami4ct

The weakest FF finally gets a remaster. I don't understand why this game gets so much love. The story and characters are pathetic.

It's not everyone's thing, but I wouldn't personally call it the worst. It's probably in the top half for me. It's in the top of the bottom half at the worst. I certainly prefer it to FF7, FF8, and FF2.

Super happy this has been announced but 20-fucking-17 for a damn remaster? Really?

Where would they fit it in at this point? With FFXV coming in September, I'm not sure where you fit another mainline FF, even a remaster. They would've have to have done it the first half of this year to fit it in. I suspect it'll be early 2017 for FFXII HD and later half for FF7R.

I was thinking they were going to put a FF7R demo in FFXV, but FFXII HD coming puts a potential alternate opportunity.

TriAceJP

You've played X, have you not?

If you say those characters and story aren't pathetic, well...

The draw of XII isn't the story, though. Not by a stretch.

OmegaDL50

Only if you played on a ps2. The environment textures in some of the screens look improved but we haven't seen enough to really judge.

Someone a page or two back posted screens of the original PS2 version compared to native upscaled 4K PCSX2 screen alongside the remaster.

The Remaster looked better than the 4K upscaled PCSX2 shot, so take of that as you will.

Logash

What is the difference between the international version and the version that was originally released in the states?

yami4ct

What is the difference between the international version and the version that was originally released in the states?

Some general rebalance in terms of content and quests. Some additional equipment.

Main difference is a complete reworking of the Job Board system. Instead of everyone having the same job board, you pick a class for each character. Each class has a unique job board and you can't change them afterward. No more jack of all trade characters.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Say, did they remove/fix the queue system during battles in the Zodiac version? I suppose not, huh, since it's caused by PS2's hardware capabilities.

Hopefully with a much beefier machine they remove it away, because it seriously downgrades the quality of the battle system quite severely.

Logash

Some general rebalance in terms of content and quests. Some additional equipment.

Main difference is a complete reworking of the Job Board system. Instead of everyone having the same job board, you pick a class for each character. Each class has a unique job board and you can't change them afterward. No more jack of all trade characters.
Weird... Sounds like a bad thing. Is there a reason why they made that change?

SE certainly love taking their time with remasters.
Yeah, though for a game that I've been replaying for years, and I will continue to replay for years, I don't mind waiting however long it takes because it's quality will matter to me for years to come. So if I had the choice to wait until even 2018, and it meant even more stuff, I'd probably take it haha.

yami4ct

Jack of all trades characters are boring. In the IZJS version, everyone has a role. Each class feels and plays uniquely. It's a massive upgrade in my book.

More options is not always a good thing. What makes you think and build strategically are the limitations put on you. If you can do everything, you really don't need as much thought and strategy.

Aeana

It was originally intended to be that way. The person who made the change was the person who designed the systems to begin with: Hiroyuki Ito.
But it also reflects one of the main criticisms people levied at the original release, which was that everybody being able to do everything was boring.

jorgeton

Godisreal.webm

Can't wait. looking forward to the zodiac license board & unique jobs. My biggest complaint with OG FFXII, next to the story Issues in the last third, was that after a certain point all your characters essentially became the same. It got a little boring tbh because there weren't many more good nodes to unlock at higher levels.

And the camera controls are terrible. Pls fix.

But it also reflects one of the main criticisms people levied at the original release, which was that everybody being able to do everything was boring.

Yep. This.

I do wish you could at least respec or switch Jobs though, a la Tactics/FFT.

Not on the fly and perhaps not even in the field. Rather, at a NPC... Maybe even with a gil cost. But the one thing I did like about FF XII's board (and FFT) was trying to master every single skill -- not to use at the same time, but just as general leveling endgame goals.

Gammacide

Wow. It's is going to be tough for me to get better news from this E3. This is easily my favorite FF game so I cannot wait.Thank you SE!

Top Bottom