• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canada Cup 2011 | Fighting game tournament | November 5-6

broz0rs

the stream for this tournament and the whole 8.95 ain't got shit on GOMTV's stream/VODs for SC2. FGC way too entitled.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Seriously the expenses for this tournament must have been fucking INSANE.

Also, does anyone know if/when they announced how won the subscriber/8.95 prizes? They said every 100 subscribers would win.

Great Tournament. I missed most of it, but was able to catch the last parts of the team battles.

Also, I don't see what's wrong with complaining about free services.
By complaining about the placements of ads, the broadcasters can provide a better service next time.

I'm sure the tournament organizer, who spent tons of money, would have liked to see people enjoy the stream.

The one mistake he made was trying to win back a little bit of the money, after spending so much money. Most of the time, trying to save a little bit of money, when spending a ton is really not worth it - this case specifically as stream in the FGC have always been free, as far as I know (no premium streams). Sometimes it's just better to go all out! I feel it's similar to the whole DRM and PC piracy thing - don't try to gain a little money by hurting the general fan base. Placements of ads shouldn't have been done unless the broadcaster had done it before. It seems the broadcaster wasn't fully familiar and trying out something like this for a big big tourney, isn't really worth it to save a little bit of money.

I really bad for the tournament organizer as the whole 8.95 thing will be remember, as posted above.

In the end, if archives are available I will watch it, once I return home!

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
bigmit3737 said:
Great Tournament. I missed most of it, but was able to catch the last parts of the team battles.

Also, I don't see what's wrong with complaining about free services.
By complaining about the placements of ads, the broadcasters can provide a better service next time.

I'm sure the tournament organizer, who spent tons of money, would have liked to see people enjoy the stream.

The one mistake he made was trying to win back a little bit of the money, after spending so much money. Most of the time, trying to save a little bit of money, when spending a ton is really not worth it - this case specifically as stream in the FGC have always been free, as far as I know (no premium streams). Sometimes it's just better to go all out! I feel it's similar to the whole DRM and PC piracy thing - don't try to gain a little money by hurting the general fan base. Placements of ads shouldn't have been done unless the broadcaster had done it before. It seems the broadcaster wasn't fully familiar and trying out something like this for a big big tourney, isn't really worth it to save a little bit of money.

I really bad for the tournament organizer as the whole 8.95 thing will be remember, as posted above.

In the end, if archives are available I will watch it, once I return home!

Seriously? He provided a huge cost out of pocket to bring the highest level play we've seen in a tournament yet, and you're saying that he should just eat thousands upon thousands of dollars "for the community", when the community for the most part doesn't want to eat 9 dollars?

Now, I think 9 dollars was probably too high. And I mean that from an economics standpoint. I doubt there was any real substantive data that went into making that figure, and I believe profit would have been higher with a lower price point, but that's a different issue.

The idea that some dude you don't know should just eat a fuckload of money to bring you something for free is ridiculous. If it was your money, and you wanted to do that, awesome. But you shouldn't tell people how to spend their own money, for reals.

gutabo

Mr Jared said:
Long story short, yes. I'm going to make an educated guess and assume that this has something to do with the fact that not everyone is seeing the exact same action at the exact same time. The difference is usually in frames but sometimes thanks to buffers and whatnot, it can become seconds and I think this is where it became a problem. Again, I'd like to get an answer for this tomorrow on the tech end of it.
I'm in Lima, Peru. Lots of people here were watching the stream at their places and we had no ads like you did. Don't know why. Can't complain about quality either since we have to go LQ to be able to watch most streams fluidly. For us it was, more or less, the same experience as most other streams.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
gutabo said:
I'm in Lima, Peru. Lots of people here were watching the stream at their places and we had no ads like you did. Don't know why. Can't complain about quality either since we have to go LQ to be able to watch most streams fluidly. For us it was, more or less, the same experience as most other streams.
Lima, Peru? Did you move there?

Timedog said:
Seriously? He provided a huge cost out of pocket to bring the highest level play we've seen in a tournament yet, and you're saying that he should just eat thousands upon thousands of dollars "for the community", when the community for the most part doesn't want to eat 9 dollars?

Now, I think 9 dollars was probably too high. And I mean that from an economics standpoint. I doubt there was any real substantive data that went into making that figure, and I believe profit would have been higher with a lower price point, but that's a different issue.

The idea that some dude you don't know should just eat a fuckload of money to bring you something for free is ridiculous. If it was your money, and you wanted to do that, awesome. But you shouldn't tell people how to spend their own money, for reals.

It's really funny how people read things as they want to.
You are getting very emotional and you probably haven't even read my post thoroughly.

From an organizer's point of view, when you spend a shit load of money, you want the tournament to have be successful and leave a good mark.
For the amount of money he spent, it seems he got very little back with 8.95 and I assume with the ads. It's wasn't worth it in my opinion, because now people will just talk about 8.95 and how about the ad placements. This tourney was one of the biggest in terms of talent but people will remember the bad parts, the stream ad placements and 8.95.

I'm not telling people how to spend their money...and what is this "for reals"?
Are you trying to add some more force to your statement with "for reals"?

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Usually I agree with just about everything Darry says, and he has some good points in this article, but I think he's speaking a little too soon about this situation.

For one, I doubt they ran ads during matches on purpose as it was most likely an issue regarding some people seeing the stream at a different point in time as others. This is a gross oversight, an issue that someone, somewhere really should've thought about, but I'd be surprised if it was intentional. People were complaining about this on Saturday though too, and people in the know only seemed to find out about it at the very end of the stream tonight, so they do bear the responsibility for not having their ears to the ground and not fixing it.

Second, I think he's crazy if he thinks they actually made money off of this event, but maybe I'm wrong. I think the ads and the pay service were probably more about recouping the crazy cash they must've spent to fly so many people out. Even if they did make a profit, I still think "exploitation" is too strong a term.

Otherwise, he has some good points. I think the overarching thing that caused most of the problems though is: Vesper Arcade or whoever was responsible for the stream just wasn't adequately prepared. I wonder how late into the preperations they decided to do a premium stream.

Also: I didn't even have adblock until tonight. I wonder how many people are the same? I've already turned it off, but how many people that got adblock tonight won't?

Unfortunately, the execution and planning of the stream was way too ham-fisted considering the consequences that not only Vesper Arcade and Canada Cup, but every fighting game streamer in existence, might have to face if things had gone south. And "go south" things did.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
bigmit3737 said:
It's really funny how people read things as they want to.
You are getting very emotional and you probably haven't even read my post thoroughly.

From an organizer's point of view, when you spend a shit load of money, you want the tournament to have be successful and leave a good mark.
For the amount of money he spent, it seems he got very little back with 8.95 and I assume with the ads. It's wasn't worth it in my opinion, because now people will just talk about 8.95 and how about the ad placements. This tourney was one of the biggest in terms of talent but people will remember the bad parts, the stream ad placements and 8.95.

I'm not telling people how to spend their money...and what is this "for reals"?
Are you trying to add some more force to your statement with "for reals"?

Yeah, you were telling other people how they should spend their huge amounts of money.

As for your weird obsession with my use of "for reals", if you would like, I can go through your post and point out every word/phrase that was unnecessary, but then that would have nothing to do with actual substantive argument, for reals.

Lost Fragment said:
Usually I agree with just about everything Darry says, and he has some good points in this article, but I think he's speaking a little too soon about this situation.

For one, I doubt they ran ads during matches on purpose as it was most likely an issue regarding some people seeing the stream at a different point in time as others. This is a gross oversight, an issue that someone, somewhere really should've thought about, but I'd be surprised if it was intentional. People were complaining about this on Saturday though too, and people in the know only seemed to find out about it at the very end of the stream tonight, so they do bear the responsibility for not having their ears to the ground and not fixing it.

Second, I think he's crazy if he thinks they actually made money off of this event, but maybe I'm wrong. I think the ads and the pay service were probably more about recouping the crazy cash they must've spent to fly so many people out. Even if they did make a profit, I still think "exploitation" is too strong a term.

Otherwise, he has some good points. I think the overarching thing that caused most of the problems though is: Vesper Arcade or whoever was responsible for the stream just wasn't adequately prepared. I wonder how late into the preperations they decided to do a premium stream.

Also: I didn't even have adblock until tonight. I wonder how many people are the same? I've already turned it off, but how many people that got adblock tonight won't?

Yeah, I agree. Some of it seems rather knee-jerk, especially some of the wording he used.

I had adblocker installed for this event. I will turn it off when I watch streams in the future, as I have usually embraced the ads at every stream before this one. There were just too many ads this event.

I'm really looking forward to watching the next Frame Trap and Cross Counter Live now. This will still be a very controversial topic in the coming weeks and the near future when other streaming groups may eventually introduce some kind of paid model of there own. It sucks that this will overshadow Wolfkrone's great run and Kazunoko's impressive international debut, but it definitely needs to be addressed and discussed because in some ways it will become part of the future of streaming large Major tournaments.

the 8.95 mainly bit them in the ass due to how poorly they seemed to run it with the breakdowns and shit. If you have something like that it must run like mana flowing from the heavens compared to the free stuff.

What the stream staff should have done was prepare/test more imo before taking such a jump.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
It's probably an issue on Twitch's end. Their software is probably designed to send ads out at the exact moment a streamer says to run an ad, no matter where in the stream the end user is.

Aeris130

Depends, the more power your external hardware is featuring, the less powerful your computer needs to be (processing video can be pretty taxing). Seems whatever setup they used had troubles running both 360p and 720p, to the point where they lowered it. Plus no matter how shitty you have to make your image quality, getting rid of stutter should still be a priority for games like these, so a lack of know-how seemed to be present as well.

When the stream were lagging for everyone everywhere like crazy, and the admin basically went "uuh, guys, all we can do is lower the bitrate. Practice-stage only in mvc3!" you knew you were in for a great experience.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Aeris130 said:
Depends, the more power your external hardware is featuring, the less powerful your computer needs to be (processing video can be pretty taxing). Seems whatever setup they used had troubles running both 360p and 720p, to the point where they lowered it. Plus no matter how shitty you have to make your image quality, getting rid of stutter should still be a priority for games like these, so a lack of know-how seemed to be present as well.

When the stream were lagging for everyone everywhere like crazy, and the admin basically went "uuh, guys, all we can do is lower the bitrate. Practice-stage only in mvc3!" you knew you were in for a great experience.

Oh weird, does twitch.tv not automatically split it the stream into HD and sub-HD? The streamer has to do that themselves?

Aeris130

Don't see how it could be twitch's fault, even if they do. Tons of streams broadcasted in 720p all weekend without any issues.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Aeris130 said:
Don't see how it could be twitch's fault, even if they do. Tons of streams broadcasted in 720p all weekend without any issues.
I'm not implying that it is, I am not knowledgeable enough in the area to imply such a thing, I'm just trying to gain some insight into what causes stream problems. If only because I am one of those whose business is problems.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Its not a twitch issue. All on them. For one, they are using wirecast. Ive been very vocal on wirecast being crap. But they are using a matrox. Those things costfive times the amount anything sp00ky or I use. Plus their internet was more than adequate. Sounds more like inexperience to me. I can go into further details ehen I get home.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Kadey said:
Its not a twitch issue. All on them. For one, they are using wirecast. Ive been very vocal on wirecast being crap. But they are using a matrox. Those things costfive times the amount anything sp00ky or I use. Plus their internet was more than adequate. Sounds more like inexperience to me. I can go into further details ehen I get home.

Home? DID YOU GO TO CANADA CUP???

XenoRaven

Kadey said:
I thought Spooky used Wirecast. It seems to be working ok for him, unless he dropped it for something else.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Kadey said:
Please do.

As far as I'm concerned, CC set a bad precedent, and really proved theyre not ready for this model. That's probably the worst, if not one of the worst major streams I've seen in the past year hands down. 8.95 really, really soured it some more.

Rice-Eater said:
I'm really looking forward to watching the next Frame Trap and Cross Counter Live now. This will still be a very controversial topic in the coming weeks and the near future when other streaming groups may eventually introduce some kind of paid model of there own. It sucks that this will overshadow Wolfkrone's great run and Kazunoko's impressive international debut, but it definitely needs to be addressed and discussed because in some ways it will become part of the future of streaming large Major tournaments.

http://twitter.com/jaredr/status/133453016748670976

Rynge

Neo Member
Ra1den said:
Do you know which parts it is missing?

unfortunately i do not, and i cannot load up the playlist right now due to shitty school internet to tell you what is missing.

USD

Just watched the last half or so of the 5v5. Excellent play all around, some great matches. WolfKrone's play was again fabulous, unfortunate he couldn't get the reset. I don't mind James Chen, but I had to roll my eyes for his comment before the Viper mirror.

I have to say, the tournament itself was pretty damn amazing. There's not much else to say about the stream though.

Ra1den

Rynge said:
unfortunately i do not, and i cannot load up the playlist right now due to shitty school internet to tell you what is missing.

K thanks for the link anyways, I'll check it out...I hope all of Wolfkrone's streamed matches are there at least.

ilMikhail said:
Best part of the tournament was Justin beating FChamp with his magic pixel

I don't understand what was so amazing about this.

Fchamp said fuck it and went for easy chip but made the mistake of doing it point blank.

Jwong hits up forward and everyone wets their panties like it was amazing and clutch.

It was Fchamp's fault for giving up and he got blown up because of his error in judgement that close to winning the tourney.

Omega

Banned
narcosis219 said:

Fchamp said fuck it and went for easy chip but made the mistake of doing it point blank.

Jwong hits up forward and everyone wets their panties like it was amazing and clutch.

It was Fchamp's fault for giving up and he got blown up because of his error in judgement that close to winning the tourney.

He had to take out more than one character with an Akuma that had no health or X-Factor.

Not sure if you know this but there's only been around 3 comebacks in MvC3 tournament history without X-Factor. Obviously when the rare skillful comeback happens everyone is going to get hype about it.

Chavelo

Rob N Banks said:
He had to take out more than one character with an Akuma that had no health or X-Factor.

Not sure if you know this but there's only been around 3 comebacks in MvC3 tournament history without X-Factor. Obviously when the rare skillful comeback happens everyone is going to get hype about it.

Plus...

HE FUCKING JUMPED OVER MAGNETO WHILE HE WAS DOING MAGNETIC TEMPEST. Just... think about that, okay?

Ra1den

narcosis219 said:

Why are you focusing on one little part of the comeback? Look at the entire thing, it was very impressive.

Kimosabae

Banned
I wasn't impressed by the comeback either. Phoenix was dead. Wong should have won that match.

Plus, I'm quite sure Champ was going for Shockwave Hyper, but the Akuma teleport crossed him up and fucked over his input, giving him Tempest, which is why Wong was given the game-winning option of normal jumping over Champ's "desperate" chip attempt in the first place. So... Wong should have lost that match? *shrug*

I think they both understood that, but they knew it was hyping the crowd, so they decided to celebrate it anyway. It was flukey, false hype.

ilMikhail

~Devil Trigger~ said:

He's fine , Its Just a Meme

Rob N Banks said:

Maybe the first one with Akuma , all the akuma's comebacks are something like this : x factor + tatsu + Messatsu

The thing that worries me though is how much of the current FG stream audience have been introduced to adblocker after this event. This PPV model may have been required "experiment" for the growth of the community but it may hurt the people who consistently give stream monsters good content.

Chavelo

Kimosabae said:
I wasn't impressed by the comeback either. Phoenix was dead. Wong should have won that match.

Plus, I'm quite sure Champ was going for Shockwave Hyper, but the Akuma teleport crossed him up and fucked over his input, giving him Tempest, which is why Wong was given the game-winning option of normal jumping over Champ's "desperate" chip attempt in the first place. So... Wong should have lost that match? *shrug*

I think they both understood that, but they knew it was hyping the crowd, so they decided to celebrate it anyway. It was flukey, false hype.
Wait wait wait...

So you're saying... we just got ourselves a real yellow card? WE JUST GOT OURSELVES A REAL YELLOW CARD!

JUSTIN WOOOOONG!!!

Top Bottom