• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 4 - The Floodgates Have Opened...

amar212

Dead Man said:
Grid PS3? Really? I have that, and don't recall the mountain on there. Too bad the servers were already shut down for that one.

It was part of the DLC.

They were using TOCA Race Driver 3 track-model - model itself was awesome. Heavy piss-filter and stupid physics ruined the experience though. Cockpit lap:
http://youtu.be/3imxcqZPyio

I still can't comprehend how Isamu can defend physics like this :D

Orignal TRD3 Bathurst (model reused for GRID's above):
http://youtu.be/Lwfq5AEnTmY

Casualized (translates as: widened for purpose of enjoyment for casual players who abandon any racing game in matter of weeks after purchase forgetting about it instantly, while dedicated population of players feels cheated and bitter for months after release while playing online) version of Bathurst for Shift 2:
http://youtu.be/3pDXuCKmfvA

Mascot said:
Dan must be living in a bubble if he doesn't realise by now that more tracks above everything else is what the franchise needs, and it shouldn't take an inferior product like Shift 2 to pave the way and show how it should be done.

Forza 4 is still my most anticipated game of 2011 but the lack of track variety will continue to be an albatross around its neck.

I have to agree about this one.

Tracks in particular are problematic issue in games of this generation. We get hundreds of cars and only approx. 30 tracks per game. I know many people do not find it problematic, but trust me - if you spend more than 6 moths on some game in online multiplayer - tracks is the only thing you need.

Both Forza 3 and GT5 are good examples for that: both games have dozens on tracks on paper, but there are only maybe 15 tracks that are usable in long-term. I really hate that trend, because when I look things the opposite way, I would gladly pay full-price for the game with just 20-30 cars, but with 100+ tracks and online options.

Two different examples form the past that showcases the focus to tracks: F355 Challenge and TOCA Race Driver 3.

Original F355 Challenge had only one car, but back at the PS2 time it had 10 tracks with 14 variants. It was winning formula, because all tracks were perfect.

TOCA Race Driver 3 (also known as Supercars V8 Race Driver and DTM Race Driver) - probably the ultimate console racer of all time content-wise. 38 real life tracks with total of almost 70 variations, additional rally and kart tracks, ovals etc. Game had full lineup for both FIA GT, DTM and V8 Supercars tracks. It was glorious.

All racing games of this generations are so bad track-wise. Instead of going to give us battlefields they are feeding us with same soldiers over and over. I have soldiers, hundreds of them. Now give me damn battlefields so I can wage my battles. Thank you in advance.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Loved the comparison shots, this is so exciting and knowing that I really like how the game looks in motion just pumps me up even more.

Omg two more months..

adelante

Quoting for new page (and because it's a nicely put together comparison!)
shinnn said:
6022208286_7f2b1b68f3_b.jpg

2011080813370301hdp1.jpg

6021656631_bac41e2be2_b.jpg

2011080814064103tfis.jpg

6022216824_5eb0c2640b_b.jpg

2011080814271806geeq.jpg

6021663683_3e9859fc9a_b.jpg

2011080814202405vdov.jpg

The new trees are looking really good. FM3 vs Real-life: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oL211NyHR0

bj00rn_

Banned
op_ivy said:
Lets get the location of Ronin's amazing car chase scene, Villefranche-sur-Mer, South of France

ronin_villefranche.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPI5-TSdC9w

That's odd.. I was in Villefranche and Nice a couple of weeks ago, and I swear those scenes at the end are from Nice, I was walking in those streets and recognized them.. I think.. Unless Nice doesn't start until the second hill behind the marina, they are next door to each other afterall. Anyway, who cares... yeah, Villefranche, would like a house there, pretty nice village.. And Villefrance - Nice ( and perhaps the road to Monaco) would indeed be a nice location for a track.

Love those comparison pics.

Comparison pics are great, good work.

Any guesses at what we may see at Gamescom? I'm not holding out for much but I hope I'm surprised. I too share the concerns of many on the amount of locations, all tracks with the game should be included in the career also, big waste otherwise.

Dead Man

amar212 said:
It was part of the DLC.

They were using TOCA Race Driver 3 track-model - model itself was awesome. Heavy piss-filter and stupid physics ruined the experience though. Cockpit lap:
http://youtu.be/3imxcqZPyio

I still can't comprehend how Isamu can defend physics like this :D

Orignal TRD3 Bathurst (model reused for GRID's above):
http://youtu.be/Lwfq5AEnTmY

Casualized (translates as: widened for purpose of enjoyment for casual players who abandon any racing game in matter of weeks after purchase forgetting about it instantly, while dedicated population of players feels cheated and bitter for months after release while playing online) version of Bathurst for Shift 2:
http://youtu.be/3pDXuCKmfvA

Tracks in particular are problematic issue in games of this generation. We get hundreds of cars and only approx. 30 tracks per game. I know many people do not find it problematic, but trust me - if you spend more than 6 moths on some game in online multiplayer - tracks is the only thing you need.

Both Forza 3 and GT5 are good examples for that: both games have dozens on tracks on paper, but there are only maybe 15 tracks that are usable in long-term. I really hate that trend, because when I look things the opposite way, I would gladly pay full-price for the game with just 20-30 cars, but with 100+ tracks and online options.

Two different examples form the past that showcases the focus to tracks: F355 Challenge and TOCA Race Driver 3.

Original F355 Challenge had only one car, but back at the PS2 time it had 10 tracks with 14 variants. It was winning formula, because all tracks were perfect.

TOCA Race Driver 3 (also known as Supercars V8 Race Driver and DTM Race Driver) - probably the ultimate console racer of all time content-wise. 38 real life tracks with total of almost 70 variations, additional rally and kart tracks, ovals etc. Game had full lineup for both FIA GT, DTM and V8 Supercars tracks. It was glorious.

All racing games of this generations are so bad track-wise. Instead of going to give us battlefields they are feeding us with same soldiers over and over. I have soldiers, hundreds of them. Now give me damn battlefields so I can wage my battles. Thank you in advance.
Great info, thanks! I never paid attention to the DLC, guess that's why I missed it. The Race Driver version was great, if a bit too fast, that lap time in Grid is ridiculous!

And yeah, a good variety of tracks is at least as important as a good selection of cars. As many real life tracks as possible is important too.

Here's to hoping any and all DLC content will be utilized into the career mode. I rarely (usually only when other people played) went into Arcade mode and online doesn't interest me all that much.

Would be such a waste. The only reason I ordered the LE was because of the mention that cars will be implemented into career mode.

skyfinch said:
You know what would be crazy? If all the adjustments you made in photomode would carry over into the real game.
I always hoped there would be a glitch in forza 3 to do that, like quit out of photomode without reverting back to stock colours, but it never happened :(

eso76

Slayer-33 said:
What I love about the new lighting is how the skies lighting is on the car too, take a look at the cars reflection of the skies lighting, hot.

hdr image based lighting and reflections baby !
among other things it means the different amount of luminosity of different parts of the skydome is taken into account when lighting cars, so that a blue sky's or even lights inside a tunnel's reflection really pop up on cars bodies.
Basically, images used for reflections and lighting contain one more value per pixel besides RGB: luminosity. It's absolutely crucial for creating realistic images

couldn't find a better comparison:

p210408Hdr.jpg

Hey we didn't get any cars yesterday.

edit: oh it was the race cars :p

Im waiting to see if they have the R8 *fingers crossed*
lol

Mascot

Did anything ever happen with what's-his-face, the dude brought in to revamp the sound in FM4? Alex somebody? I thought he was doing a Q&A or something?

Edit: Not Alex, he's the car expert. The other dude, ex-Bizarre.

saladine1

Mascot said:
Did anything ever happen with what's-his-face, the dude brought in to revamp the sound in FM4? Alex somebody? I thought he was doing a Q&A or something?
WTF?
Mascot, I was just thinking about this right now!
In fact, I was recording some PGR4 sounds for some comparison videos when my card shit itself...spooky...
I was trying to record the Radical SR9 and it's distinctive BOV/compressor surge. That thing really sounds amazing!

Anyway, I was hoping that the audio feature would've been put together by now. Nick Wiswell is the guy your thinking of by the way.

saladine1

I have to say. Nick did an awesome job with the sounds in PGR4. I mean,every component was captured near perfectly. The cockpit effects sounded realistic compared to FM. The wastegate chatter/bov's were all captured faithfully(each car had it's own unique sound) as well and not just generically as in FM.
The straight cut gear whine was perfect..near non existent or wrong in FM. Backfire was loud.
Here's another thing. In FM3, when ever you played with the throttle(on/off acceleration), the revs and sounds were completely off, as in it didn't behave as it should. Where in nearly every other game, the reactions are realistic and behaved as they should..
Here's hoping that Nick brought over his experiences with him..

skyfinch

Was playing PGR4 all last week. Amazing everything. Even has world tour and track days.....:p

There's the sound glitch that is annoying, but it's impossible to fix now.

amar212 said:

Agreed. The problem is that both leading competitors know that marketing based on cars is simply more effective. We get bombarded with Car ads already so why not build on that. Look at the GT and Forza threads on here. It's all about people begging for all sorts of cars. Only the same handful want the focus on track variety.

I wish this wasn't the case but the time and resources are being spent on the cars instead of track.

Also, I don't care for any fictional tracks. There are PLENTY of real life courses out there (permanent and temp street courses) that there's no need for someone's imagination. I'll chainsaw a Locust to keep my imagination entertained.

Xun

skyfinch said:
Was playing PGR4 all last week. Amazing everything. Even has world tour and track days.....:p

There's the sound glitch that is annoying, but it's impossible to fix now.
There's also no dynamic shadows, which was caused in an update shortly after the game was released.

It was a mistake that will never get fixed. :(

Such a good game.

R.I.P. Bizarre

OrangeOak

I know that this is Forza 4 thread but I can't miss opportunity to say how much I love PGR4 :D
It looks amazing,sounds amazing and plays amazing,my favorite arcade racer this gen.
I'm happy to see that at least some people from Bizarre are now in T10.

Shaneus

OrangeOak said:
I know that this is Forza 4 thread but I can't miss opportunity to say how much I love PGR4 :D
It looks amazing,sounds amazing and plays amazing,my favorite arcade racer this gen.
I'm happy to see that at least some people from Bizarre are now in T10.
You will not be shut down AT ALL for saying that in this thread. Pretty sure everyone here loves PGR4 to death. Shit, I was playing it last night... that RUF RGT (I think?) that's in B class is so much fucking fun.

Anyone know exactly how many and who from Bizarre made it to Turn 10?

ghibli99

I don't want to get too OT, but PGR4 is worth picking up? I kinda fell off at PGR3.

Edit: WTF, PGR4 was 2007?! Man, that's crazy.

RukusProvider said:
Also, I don't care for any fictional tracks. There are PLENTY of real life courses out there (permanent and temp street courses) that there's no need for someone's imagination.
The thing is though, the fictional tracks just look a lot better. So many real world tracks are flat and boring, especially within Forza's graphics engine.

But I agree, at least for me, having a wealth of tracks is more important than having a wealth of cars.

NullPointer said:
The thing is though, the fictional tracks just look a lot better. So many real world tracks are flat and boring, especially within Forza's graphics engine.

But I agree, at least for me, having a wealth of tracks is more important than having a wealth of cars.
And fantasy tracks don't have expensive licenses with stupid restrictions.

skyfinch

ghibli99 said:
I don't want to get too OT, but PGR4 is worth picking up? I kinda fell off at PGR3.

Bought it at launch and it was well worth the full price. Bikes are a bit difficult to control.

Picked it up again a couple weeks ago for $8. :O

Was waiting for it to appear on Games on Demand, but don't think it'll ever show up. If you like PGR2, the tracks have a similar feel. The city details and graphics will have you in photomode for hours. Just keep in mind that there is the shadow and sound glitch. Sound glitch sounds like static, however, some are saying it only happens if you install the game to your hard drive. Shadow glitch happens if you update the game. Your car's dynamic shadow is gone.

Great game, extremely underrated, and I bet you can find it for even less than $8.

Xanadu

Banned
ghibli99 said:

4 is definitely better than 3, but 4 still isnt on the same level as 2 imo

Shaneus

skyfinch said:
Bought it at launch and it was well worth the full price. Bikes are a bit difficult to control.

Picked it up again a couple weeks ago for $8. :O

Was waiting for it to appear on Games on Demand, but don't think it'll ever show up. If you like PGR2, the tracks have a similar feel. The city details and graphics will have you in photomode for hours. Just keep in mind that there is the shadow and sound glitch. Sound glitch sounds like static, however, some are saying it only happens if you install the game to your hard drive. Shadow glitch happens if you update the game. Your car's dynamic shadow is gone.

Great game, extremely underrated, and I bet you can find it for even less than $8.
I have a feeling that the reason it isn't on GoD is because of the sound glitch. Game running on HDD = glitchy sound.
ghibli99 said:

It really, really, really is. I'm yet to see better environments or weather effects in any console driving game and the driving model is ridiculously fun without seeming too arcadey. The locations chosen are actually interesting and different, too. I'm still trying to work out whether I prefer London, Quebec City or St. Petersburg. Possibly QC as it has some ridiculous elevation changes and great scenery.

You can still get kick arse photomode pics out of it as well. Most of the time, indistinguishable from GT5 and Forza 3 (with the exception that the cars are slightly lower poly).

Bizarre knocked it out of the park completely with that game... the fact I'm still playing regularly to this day is testament to that. If Turn 10 can take a leaf or 10 out of it's book, I'd be over the moon.

ghibli99 said:

I picked it up about a month ago for $1.99 at GameStop. The clerk rang it up, I reached into my pocket and paid him with 6 quarters, 3 dimes and 4 whole nickels lol. Yeah its a crazy low price but Its still a great game without that ridiculous low price factored in.

Back OT- FORZA 4 WOW! Those comparison pics give me a chubby.

Duallusion said:
Love the improvements in lighting department. And trees!

I hope we'll be able to choose "no-damage-AT-ALL"[\B] (or perhaps "mechanical-but-not-visual") option this time. I'm not much of a photographer (or a racing driver, for that matter), but if I wanted to take a nice racing photo mid-race in F3, I had to be really careful not to even slightly bump any other car if I didn't want to have my tail lights or car paint immediately swapped with those (pretty lame but still much better then nothing) "damage textures". That and proper exporting might actually make me take more photos this time around.

Apologies if that no-damage option actually was available in F3 and I've missed it.

You can turn damage completely off in FORZA 3.

Top Bottom