• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wiimote has a Mic + VOIP

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Iron chef Wii = 1st day purchase!

Chairman.gif

Neo Child

Banned
Here is my take (I also posted this at Wii-X2):

Now, these domains are very interesting and of course a brilliant source for speculation. Heres our take:
Wii Karaoke, we reported yesterday that the Wii would have a built in Microphone, and of course due to its build would be the perfect Karaoke Mic. And this trademark proves it.

Wii Cooking, hmm, well that isn't too hard to imagine. This could either be the recently announced Cooking Mama for Wii under a new name, or it could be Nintendo's own brand. The latter is more likely.

Wii Music, shown at E3 as Wii Orchestra and Wii Drums, could be launched along side Wii Sports on launch day of the Wii to promote the new controller. Again quite obvious.

Now the last domain is very interesting - Wii Magazine. Yesterday we reported that alongside the fact that the Wii would very have it's own Microphone built in, and also phonebook/addresses, the "Wii-Channel.com" trademark was also reported as an 'interactive channel' hence the name. The 'Wii Magazine' could very well be an interactive online magazine (provided by Wii Connect24) that will be alongside the Wii Channel.

Take these as you will folk but Nintendo is really pushing the Wii system and it's functionality with the hardware and software.

Wii Magazine might also be a brand new official magazine for the console. Nintendo Power still exists, but Nintendo's trying to market Wii to a different audience, so just bundling it in with the current magazine when they insist on not even referring to the console as "the Nintendo Wii" might hurt their plans a bit. Wouldn't kill them to have two seperate magazines, even if there's a lot of overlap.

WiiKaraoke seems remarkably telling, though. That even implies that guesses were right, and the mic will be on the top edge. (That's certainly a game you'd want to make remote-only, there's no reason for a nunchaku for that.)

jacomar

Neo Member
To use the nmic you would always have to stop playing and that does not make sense in most games that maybe could use a mic. It think it would make more sense if it was an atachment you plug where the nunchaku goes and sell it along the karaoke game.

Neo Child

Banned
DefectiveReject said:
nintendo's obviously just stopping others from registering Wii domains, and is covering all bases.

Ha, at the exact time I saw that I was typing out the same thing to a mate.

DefectiveReject said:
nintendo's obviously just stopping others from registering Wii domains, and is covering all bases.

Exactly my thoughts, but then a few of those we could speculate, like the karaoke and cooking ones.

wiilove.com doesn't work for me :p

dock

I don't think Nintendo would register www.wiikaraoke.com unless they had some sort of microphone lined up for the Wii in future. Considering the form factor of the wand is perfect, and that karaoke is a killer app in Japan and even Europe (singstar ftwii), I'll be very surprised if a mic doesn't show up in the Wiimote.

Not sure about the address book and VOIP system though. Sounds great but perhaps hoping for too much.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
I think those are going to be specially designed website that can be accessed easily through the Wii Opera browser. Which means a mic (at least as an accessory) is still a definite possibility.

Nintendo should get on the karaoke thing like gangbusters.

Wii Karaoke with an American Idol type of online mode ... a lot of non-gamers would probably look at buying the system just for that.

More software like this and more party games, that's really what Nintendo needs to make the Wii a success I feel.

The Mario/Zelda fanbase is always going to be there for them, that's really as big of a deal to be honest.

The Wii controller should have both a built-in mic and a microphone/headset jack for added convienance.

Accessories = too confusing for non-gamers.

Top Bottom