• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 XMB in detail

dyls

_1745.jpg

Am I the only person left with a SD TV? Oh wait, about 3/4 of the non-GAF world still has one. This interface will be all but invisible in standard def. Speaking of which, why do I see no setting for 480i?

IGN said:
you can chose from 480p, 1080i, 720p, 1080p and "custom."

Do you have to have component or better to have a PS3, because that would suck for me. (S-video, baby.)

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
dyls said:
_1745.jpg

Am I the only person left with a SD TV? Oh wait, about 3/4 of the non-GAF world still has one. This interface will be all but invisible in standard def. Speaking of which, why do I see no setting for 480i? Do you have to have component or better to have a PS3, because that would suck for me. (S-video, baby.)
I assume that 480i will work by default if you are not using an HDTV. We don't know how that will work, but it obviously will. The system ships with composite and the inclusion of component input on a television does not necessarily imply that it is HD.

The interface will also adjust itself for your display. Sony isn't stupid enough to use such a small font for SDTV output as nobody could read it.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
SnakeXs said:
Why would ripping CDs (especially in an age where so few OWN CDs) be a big deal when you can network to your PC/plug in a 3rd party mp3 player?

Because millions of people still buy CDs. Not to need my computer anymore is great. I don't have to use the Sony PSP software to transfer my music anymore after 11/17/06.

It's BIG news for me.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
SolidSnakex said:
It's not a big deal because everyone expected we'd be able to do that.

Damn I guess I was the only one out of the loop. :embarrsed:
Not to start a console war, but can the 360 do this?

Flo_Evans

mckmas8808 said:
Damn I guess I was the only one out of the loop. :embarrsed:
Not to start a console war, but can the 360 do this?

yes of course 360 can do it. :p

edit: Bluetooth headsets! **** YEAH! (I guess I need one now)

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Hopefully custom resolution will accomodate full resolution of a lot of current HDTV panels that are 1366x768. Sony has quite a few of those themselves.

dark10x

kaching said:
Hopefully custom resolution will accomodate full resolution of a lot of current HDTV panels that are 1366x768. Sony has quite a few of those themselves.
That will only be possible if VGA is used, however. HDMI will not accept 1366x768.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
dark10x said:
That will only be possible if VGA is used, however. HDMI will not accept 1366x768.
Interesting, didn't know that. Do you know why? Component should accept that resolution, shouldn't it?

dark10x

kaching said:
Interesting, didn't know that. Do you know why? Component should accept that resolution, shouldn't it?
I don't believe it will either. Those inputs use HDTV standards as a base (720p/1080i/1080p). If you feed a 1024x768 image through HDMI or component, for instance, you will see a smaller 4:3 window rendered at 1080i.

jarosh

man this stuff is really intriguing. so many possibilites. i'm really diggin all the multimedia functionalities. sounds like the ultimate living room media center machine.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
the time and date stuff really is a nice touch. making the screen brighter during the day when the sun is up, and darker when the sun is down. that kinda explains why we have been seeing black and gold menus, i thought they were two different theme colors at first.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Jim said:
A ~20 minute video of the XMB/PS3 in action.
http://www.psmpodcast.com/?p=17

Wow, cool, didn't see that before.

Looks like it'll support the old eyetoy from day one.

Also, quite funny that the background colour/brightness is tuned according to how the sun rises and sets each given day :p

When he was talking about the "Register Bluetooth Device" option he almost confirmed generic headset support, but not quite IMO..his words were kind of careful there. It'll be interesting to see if that is actually the case.

edit - aw, he completely skipped over "Install Package File". Come to think of it, it's worth considering that both that and "Other System Install" may be debug functionality only, and not related to Linux or stuff like that..it's a possibility.

Safe Bet

Banned
jarosh said:
...i'm really diggin all the multimedia functionalities. sounds like the ultimate living room media center machine.
May - I want a pure game machine not a multi-media device you ****ing bastards!

November - This shit is awesome! You better step up your game Microsoft!

:D

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
gofreak said:
When he was talking about the "Register Bluetooth Device" option he almost confirmed generic headset support, but not quite IMO..his words were kind of careful there. It'll be interesting to see if that is actually the case.
really? i didnt think he was really hesitant or careful about his words there...atleast to me.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Bad_Boy said:
really? i didnt think he was really hesitant or careful about his words there...atleast to me.

This is what he said:

"whether it be your controller or other Bluetooth devices like headset like you use for your cellphone"

That to me isn't quite unambiguous enough in that he may be referring to an official one that is 'like' the ones you can use with cellphones.

Then again, Sony hasn't announced one amongst their peripherals yet, so maybe it's the same as the HDD - they're not providing one because you can use any one. That'd be awesome, but we'll see.

edit - here's the english version of that "Playstation Network" screenshot posted earlier:

psnnp5.jpg

He doesn't go into detail, refers to announcements 'in two weeks' (which is probably tomorrow - this was probably done a couple of weeks ago)

gofreak said:
This is what he said:

"whether it be your controller or other Bluetooth devices like headset like you use for your cellphone"

That to me isn't quite unambiguous enough in that he may be referring to an official one that is 'like' the ones you can use with cellphones.

Then again, Sony hasn't announced one amongst their peripherals yet, so maybe it's the same as the HDD - they're not providing one because you can use any one. That'd be awesome, but we'll see.

IMO, they wouldn't put the cost of Bluetooth in there (both chipset & licensing) unless they intend to leverage the wealth of devices out there.

Of course, that would cut down on the potential of simultaneous online players as both the headset and the controller would take up the 7 available bluetooth connections. Which would limit you to 3 simulataneous users on the same PS3. (+1 without a headset)

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
gofreak said:

I think you're just letting all the skeptics around here get to you. ;)

It's just a manner of speaking - it didn't sound like he was trying to be intentionally ambiguous, just trying to be brief in explaining that'll work with Bluetooth headsets w/o belaboring the point.

jarosh

Safe Bet said:
May - I want a pure game machine not a multi-media device you ****ing bastards!

November - This shit is awesome! You better step up your game Microsoft!

:D
wtf is your problem. these kinds of generalizations make me ****ing sick and they make you look like a complete fanboy tool. find a post where i complained about multimedia crap or blu-ray or whatever in the ps3. i'm not a blinded f*cking fanboy.

Safe Bet

Banned
jarosh said:
wtf is your problem. these kinds of generalizations make me ****ing sick and they make you look like a complete fanboy tool. find a post where i complained about multimedia crap or blu-ray or whatever in the ps3. i'm not a blinded f*cking fanboy.
I was merely using your excitement over the new features to help show how badly some journalists underestimated the market.

I apologize if you think I meant to offend/attack you in anyway.

Safe Bet

jarosh

Safe Bet said:
I was merely using your excitement over the new features to help show how badly some journalists underestimated the market.

Safe Bet
alright, okay. i might have overreacted a little there anyway. apology accepted.

Raistlin

kaching said:

While there nothing technically preventing component from accepting nearly any resolution ... it has to do with video processor in the TV. The processor can only handle a certain set of resolutions, so it basically throws out the rest.

This really isn't a big deal, since basically all video components that output via component are standardized to 480i/p, 720p, 1080i/p.

When it comes to VGA, it generally comes down to the specific makie/model as to what of the following it will accept (or some combination thereof):

* the same resolutions as the component input

* Some set of standard PC resolutions - with more recent TV's including widescreen support

* 1:1 resoluton at its native resolution (applicable for fixed pixel displays only)

* mode where it will display at incoming signal's native res ... and fill in all unused pixels black (applicable for fixed pixel displays only)

Kangu

Banned
Safe Bet said:

Safe Bet

INTERNET: SERIOS BUSYNEZZ

EGM92

OT but still on the subject of the PS3, what time is Gamers Day tomorrow?? I need to take an extended lunch break then.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
gofreak said:
This is what he said:

Yeah to me it's like he was using the cellphone headset as an example of what you can use. I guess we will find out soon.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
EGM92 said:
OT but still on the subject of the PS3, what time is Gamers Day tomorrow?? I need to take an extended lunch break then.
It's all day. Probably starts around 9-10 am PST.

Bad_Boy said:
wow, i didnt even see jim's post. sorry about that.

it`s okay, I just saw yours now and it`s the first time I see that video podcast,
thanks bro

Genji II is on my to buy list now, despite the bad players playing I see the extension of Genji I over hear with the coolness of real time character change (not sarcasme) I like the choice of characters being able to be swapped for your needs

jiggle

Insane Metal said:
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/740/740005p1.html

One of the cool things about multimedia playback is that the PS3 can play back external files. By connecting a PSP to the PS3 via USB, the music, movies and images that are on the Memory Stick loaded into the PSP become accessible from the video, music and photo menus on the PS3. It's unclear if this is the case when the two systems are communicating via Wi-Fi.

Nice. Won't be needing the memory card reader thing, from the premium pack, for photo viewing :D
Hope it's not wifi only :(

T-21:32:40 :D

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
some more pictures...
ps3bluetoothdd0.jpg

ps3_14_1161119322.jpg

ps3_18_1161117776.jpg

ps3_11_1161118130.jpg

ps3_12_1161118483.jpg

ps3_13_1161118736.jpg

ps3_09_1161119057.jpg

ps3_06_1161120058.jpg

of the system itself
ps3_05_1161120431.jpg

ps3_10_1161117497.jpg

ps3_02_1161117249.jpg

ps3_04_1161120933.jpg

ps3_03_1161116680.jpg

credit to Sephiroth_VII @ e-mpire.
if people keep complaining about the text size in the XMB...i dunno what else to tell ya besides....GLASSES/CONTACTS!

Oni Jazar

Anyone know if we can access the 60Gb HD like a network drive? I'd love to be able to drop music and vids on there from a PC.

Also I really wish they would have shown the music player and movie player. Those functions on the PSP are lacking.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Uncle said:
Are there any more resolutions available (with different cables perhaps) than those in the picture?
480p
720p
1080i
1080p
custom res.

those are the settings that show up in the main display menu.

Custom Res = VGA?

HDMI and Component are only capable of 720p and 1080i/p, right? So I guess if there is a VGA cable, then we can set it to 1360x768. Hopefully that's the case, I'd like to get every pixel that my TV is capable of.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Uncle said:
Custom res? You can actually set it yourself? Awesome, if so.
Not really sure to be honest, but I expect it to have some resolutions preset for those odd looking 768p resolutions and such. Somebody on another forum mentioned it could be other resolutions for 1600x1200 monitors to upscale 1080p to fill every pixel. Guess we will find out for sure one of these days.
typo said:
My face is melting off because of these pictures!
is that good or bad? :lol

edit:
I just noticed...
ps3_18_1161117776.jpg

anybody see some different icons there for users menu and the friends menu? or is it just me?

Top Bottom