• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jimmy Kimmel - Politically Correct Thanksgiving Pageant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Henkka

Banned
You're at least happy with using people of color as a shield right now, though.

Hmm, I don't think so. I wasn't making a blanket statement, some people of colour obviously do find it offensive. I understanding using a group of people as a shield as claiming they're all on your side, or that you represent them.

Terrible skit, but some of the responses in here are predictably ridiculous.

We should be able to mock any sacred belief, whether it be conservative (nationalism, Christianity, family values) or progressive (identity, diversity, globalism).

Conservatives and Christians aren't having their rights taken away, getting tear-gassed, or murdered.

By all means, demonstrate your lack of empathy for all to see. But just because you have the right to do something, doesn't mean it's not as asshole thing to do.

Watched for about a minute. Quite boring, dont know if it was because of the kids or the "on-cue" ish laughter.

Apart from mean tweets this may have been the first Kimmel thing I've seen (not from the US, from the UK). PC culture feels mildly complicated in that some people say all these words that used to be acceptable are now frowned upon...which sort of makes sense because to an extent people are a product of their times but its still their responsibility to be educated.

Then you have people who seem to just be desperate to make jokes at other people's expense for no reason than...it being anti PC?

I dont know. I dont really get why you would expressly want to, but I guess thats more because of my mental health issues (so yes, I am more sensitive about it because it is not a joke) and having gone to an international school you get to know people rather than their ethnicity.

Its not like PC is recent anyway, as I understand it. :/

Lowmelody

Terrible skit, but some of the responses in here are predictably ridiculous.

We should be able to mock any sacred belief, whether it be conservative (nationalism, Christianity, family values) or progressive (identity, diversity, globalism).

Diversity and identity are sacred beliefs to be mocked? You're broken, utterly.

Mahadev

Explain to us then how PC is "shit", go on, enlighten all of us.

And if I remember correctly there are far better Carlin clips about political correctness. The general idea is that it's intentions that matter not fucking words. Furthermore you can't change people's ideas through censorship especially in the information era, you only push people to the far end of the political spectrum when you try to shut them up.

And keeping up with the Carlin theme he has also explained how moral policing (iirc he was usually talking about religious people) is usually done by certain kinds of people who want to feel good about themselves by pretending to capture the moral high ground. He never had much respect for these people and I don't blame him.

legacyzero

Banned
This thread is 100% a perfect read.

uljlejkl5.gif

It's like someone made a skit about off-topic NeoGaf

I wanna see one made by H3H3

KAJCag.gif

nkarafo

Yeah, alt right fuckers downvote the fuck of anything related to feminism and up vote alt right-like anti-pc bullshit. Who knew?
The whole world is "alt right fuckers"... Who knew?

I'm not alt right, i voted left (in Greece) and i downvoted that terrible children feminist video because it's terrible.

MUnited83

For you.
The whole world is "alt right fuckers"... Who knew?

The whole world upvoted and downvoted those videos?

Dunno where you are getting your info but it doesn't seem reliable. I'm pretty sure that majority of the world population hasn't seen either of those videos.

MUnited83

For you.
And where do you get your info?

Or maybe let me ask you, did you saw the video i posted? You believe only "alt-right" people would dislike it? Did you actually like it?

I saw the video you posted, and I guarantee you that the vast majority of downvotes came exactly from those kind of people.

Although it's fucking hilarious people complaining about Political Correctness getting triggered at little girls yelling profanities. The irony is delicious.

Alienfan

And if I remember correctly there are far better Carlin clips about political correctness. The general idea is that it's intentions that matter not fucking words. Furthermore you can't change people's ideas through censorship especially in the information era, you only push people to the far end of the political spectrum when you try to shut them up.

And keeping up with the Carlin theme he has also explained how moral policing (iirc he was usually talking about religious people) is usually done by certain kinds of people who want to feel good about themselves by pretending to capture the moral high ground. He never had much respect for these people and I don't blame him.

That's one small aspect of PC culture. I disagree Language is one of the most powerful social constructs in the history of civilization, just calling them "words" is quite simplistic. "Politically correct" language is able to shape how a culture views different groups of people by making dehumanizing language taboo and socially frowned upon. It's this dehumanizing language that so easily allows people to throw all basic empathy for others, ignoring their concerns and treating them as secondary citizens Language can quite easily manipulate others and change their perspectives of other groups or ideas(we're even seeing this in the thread. People calling PC dumb without actually thinking for themselves.). This is simply because our language is not restricted to just a word's denotation, but its connotation and the context it's used in.

For example if I continued to call white people a particularl word and get others to follow my lead, to the point where most of society are calling them that, everyone will associate that word with white people, right? Now let's say I also start using that word as a synonym for stupid. And everyone else uses it this way too. Suddenly you're associating this word with stupid. But at the same time you also associate it with white person. Your subconscious connects all of these ideas together. Now all white people are stupid. You didn't even have to consciously make a connection. The language did it all for you.

To prevent society from blindly hating other groups, a historically proven action we can take is to discourage the usage of such language that serves to reinforce negative stereotypes and foster irrational hatred. I do genuinely believe you can change someone's ideas through language.

MUnited83

For you.
Is that what you got from this?

Nevermind, no point continuing this argument.

Got what? That a feminist video got downvoted for not being politically correct, while the Jimmy Kimmel gets upvotes for the same thing?

Don't worry, I got it.

I mean, how fucking blind do you have to be to not see the hipocrisy lmao. Anti-PC jackasses complaining about profanity and bad language when used by feminists its fucking hilarious. It literally shows that they don't give a actual shit about freedom of speech, just the freedom of having their own bullshit spread out.

Guess fucking what tho, only one of the videos has a good message: it's the one with the girls yelling profanities. You know, the one that actual tells you about actual issues. Not the one where they're complaining they can't be fuckwits to minorities no more and making fun of the most disadvantaged.

Is that what you got from this?

Nevermind, no point continuing this argument.
You're right there was more to it.

The Kimmel video used children as props to take issue with the fact that sometimes words can be offensive.

The feminist video used children as props to take issue with rape victim blaming, the wage gap, etc.

Both are cringey to me but only one has a good message

Not

Banned
Great, glad to see targeting people who stand up for disparaged groups, no matter how clumsily, is inching closer to the mainstream

Mahadev

That's one small aspect of PC culture. I disagree Language is one of the most powerful social constructs in the history of civilization, just calling them "words" is quite simplistic. "Politically correct" language is able to shape how a culture views different groups of people by making dehumanizing language taboo and socially frowned upon. It's this dehumanizing language that so easily allows people to throw all basic empathy for others, ignoring their concerns and treating them as secondary citizens Language can quite easily manipulate others and change their perspectives of other groups or ideas(we're even seeing this in the thread. People calling PC dumb without actually thinking for themselves.). This is simply because our language is not restricted to just a word's denotation, but its connotation and the context it's used in.

For example if I continued to call white people a particularl word and get others to follow my lead, to the point where most of society are calling them that, everyone will associate that word with white people, right? Now let's say I also start using that word as a synonym for stupid. And everyone else uses it this way too. Suddenly you're associating this word with stupid. But at the same time you also associate it with white person. Your subconscious connects all of these ideas together. Now all white people are stupid. You didn't even have to consciously make a connection. The language did it all for you.

To prevent society from blindly hating other groups, a historically proven action we can take is to discourage the usage of such language that serves to reinforce negative stereotypes and foster irrational hatred. I do genuinely believe you can change someone's ideas through language.

I call my friends the most vulgar expletives found in the English language and they do the same. Do you know why I don't associate them with those words or why they're not offended by them? Because we have the basic common sense found almost in every human to understand the intentions behind words.

I can use the most politically correct language to create the most hateful speech imaginable, censoring words or obsessing over the tiniest fucking detail in phraseology won't do shit to stop bigotry and discouraging the usage of such language is certainly not a "historically proven action". That is actually a pretty laughable claim especially nowadays that the far-right is rising in Europe that has some pretty strict anti-hate speech laws.

Nudull

Banned
I call my friends the most vulgar expletives found in the English language and they do the same. Do you know why I don't associate them with those words or why they're not offended by them? Because we have the basic common sense found almost in every human to understand the intentions behind words.

I can use the most politically correct language to create the most hateful speech imaginable, censoring words or obsessing over the tiniest fucking detail in phraseology won't do shit to stop bigotry and discouraging the usage of such language is certainly not a "historically proven action". That is actually a pretty laughable claim especially nowadays that the far-right is rising in Europe that has some pretty strict anti-hate speech laws.

Good for you and your friends, pats yourselves on the back. Still doesn't mean everyone functions the same way.

MUnited83

For you.

Why would what you do with your friends matter in this case though? Literally no one is trying to tell you how to talk to your friends. Shit, even use racial slurs if y'all are comfortable with that.
Doesn't mean that it's suddenly okay to yell racial slurs at everyone else you don't know though. It doesn't mean you can talk to everyone the way you talk to your friends.

Oersted

Compare the "like" bar in that video to Kimmels in the OP. Pretty telling tbh

Anti PC crowd is easily triggered. I guess thats news for you.

You have no issues with being called the n-word. Others do, given the history of the word. Get over it.

Mahadev

Why would what you do with your friends matter in this case though? Literally no one is trying to tell you how to talk to your friends. Shit, even use racial slurs if y'all are comfortable with that.
Doesn't mean that it's suddenly okay to yell racial slurs at everyone else you don't know though. It doesn't mean you can talk to everyone the way you talk to your friends.

The point you're somehow missing, even though I was very clear about it, is that its intentions that matter not words and no matter how dumb people are most of the time they understand the intention behind the words. Moral policing only works for the people that do it, the rest of us suffer the consequences of it usually because of over-corrections or pendulums swinging back hard in society.

Furthermore let's not forget itt, because apparently some people deliberately have, that what Kimmel is making fun of isn't people who have a problem with slurs for example, it's the professional moral crusaders who obsess over the most insignificant shit.

I will never understand how jimmy kimmel is a thing.

I mean, nothing against the show, but i just don't understand how someone who started in some stupid thing such as "the man show" ended up kinda becoming someone.

How the fuck does someone who helmed such a piece of shit like The man show even has a career?

Don't forget Win Ben Stein's Money.

Kinyou

Feels a bit cheap to have kids deliver the lines. Own that stuff.

It's all null and void when you're joke piece about political correctness includes the ridiculing of gender identities other than male/female. It is so clear who they are catering to with this. There are so many kids and teens struggling with their body and trying to deal with this and here comes one of the biggest guys in tv entertainment and laughs at them. Oh shut up with your politically correct bullshit you weirdo. Just tell me your normal gender and act accordingly, jesus christ.
I thought it was meant to poke fun at when that actually happened with the royal baby

AUvNzzy.png

but I agree that can also be taken the other way.

I might say fuck you etc as a term of endearment to a friend etc but why on earth would i treat someone i've never met the same way?

I get that sort of thinking but I can't understand why people think using racial slurs or homophobic language freely is so...precious? I get what you mean about intentions behind words and people decrying things to make themselves feel superior (that got mentioned in a Trump thread iirc) but if someone is LGBT etc I wouldn't start making jokes about it and assume they should put up or shut up.

I do have to agree with another poster that if words aee supposedly one of the most powerful social constructs humanity has ever come up with, to say they are just words would to be ironically ignorant of the meaning or intent behind them.

MUnited83

For you.
The point you're somehow missing, even though I was very clear about it, is that its intentions that matter not words and no matter how dumb people are most of the time they understand the intention behind the words. Moral policing only works for the people that do it, the rest of us suffer the consequences of it usually because of over-corrections or pendulums swinging back hard in society.

Words have meanings and common usages, so, once again, if you are not in a an environment of people who understand the thing you meant that goes against the common use of the terms... don't use it? This ain't hard.

Nesotenso

it reminds me a lot of tumblr blogs more than anything else. needed better execution but I have no issue with what they were going for

Acorn

I have to say he seems to be enjoying fitting into the new political reality. Wonder if it fits his beliefs or just good old pandering.

Onemic

There were a few hits where I will say I laughed pretty hard(The check your priviledge was probably the best jab tbh) but there were also some bad misses. Gender identity being racially insensitive probably the worst among them. Also Thanksgiving of all the holidays probably is probably the worst time to make light of these things.

Jobbs

Banned
The only question in my mind is who is worse -- jimmy kimmel or jimmy fallon. I seriously can't decide.

And now girls jumping on trampolines!

I have to say he seems to be enjoying fitting into the new political reality. Wonder if it fits his beliefs or just good old pandering.

probably fits into his beliefs. He's close friends with howard stern and used to do a show called "the man show" which was too dumb, obnoxious, and offensive to even describe

It's a very mild skit that pokes fun at extreme sensitivities that sometimes dominate discourse online and in person. When the girl at the beginning says, "Don't clap - it's insensitive to those that don't have arms" she's not making fun of those wihout arms but rather those that would get upset at that sort of a gesture being considered insensitive. I mean, the closest it gets to genuine mean-spiritedness is the joke about what gender their baby is. And again, it's not making fun of a child that may grow up to identify as a different gender, but the mere fact that the parents don't want to be so presumptuous on behalf of the child to simply tell the natives what sex it is.

I mean, I'm not a fan of Kimmel. Compared to Kimmel, I think Fallon is probably Craig Ferguson-tier. But it's hard for me to see much to be offended by with the skit. Extreme sensitivity kills discourse just as easily as extreme apathy to those around you. The skit is lazy and unfunny, but I don't see anything malicious in it.

I saw this and thought it was such a middle-of-the-road balanced "PC is good but it can be bad" sketch. I don't know how people are seeing it as an extreme anti-PC routine mocking diversity? To me it's more a typical lefty-liberal we're right but we can be silly sometimes sketch.

steamingsarcasm

Neo Member
Heh, props to these cute kids. Had better comedic timing than I was expecting. The sketch was just seriously unfunny and try-hard. It's basically what my uncle would share on facebook calling it "edgy but hilarious!" after his fifth minions meme post. Like even the 'extremely liberal' tv shows that conservatives would clutch their pearls at have more brutal jokes about 'pc culture' and they're actually funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom