• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hardcore dancing... what the hell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scribble

I thought this was going to be about dancehall music. Lol. But speaking of that, unless you're one of those hardcore dancehall types from Jamaica who follows the girl up and down and left and right and in spirals and diagonally left and diagonally right and diagonally down and pentagonally, then grinding is pretty boring. Just bumping up and down and in and out isn't fun IMO. I like dancing that's spontaneous and adrenaline filled, but actually dancing unlike this.

lil smoke

Banned
Scribble said:
I thought this was going to be about dancehall music. Lol. But speaking of that, unless you're one of those hardcore dancehall types from Jamaica who follows the girl up and down and left and right and in spirals and diagonally left and diagonally right and diagonally down and pentagonally, then grinding is pretty boring. Just bumping up and down and in and out isn't fun IMO. I like dancing that's spontaneous and adrenaline filled, but actually dancing unlike this.
:lol It's only good when the girl has a nice ass and you pump your thing up her buttcrack.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
Exclusive footage of hardcore dancing from the 40s!!!!

LindiHurricaneKick-1.gif

While this dance is particularly ugly I don't think it is unlike many others. It is just fueled by screaming and hardline speed repetition. It just doesn't look like fun, but I am sure it is very cathartic. I think jumpstyle looks like fun and even hardstyle looks sorta fun.

Ceres

Banned
The worst are the ones who spin around kicking the air like they're doing roundhouse kicks or something. A guy kicked me at a show doing that once when they had the entire front half of the fucking venue to do this stupid shit in.

Pit's are fun when they are strong, the pit's at local venues are always lame, It's like 6 people barely moving into each other. The best pit was at the Origin show it was me, my friend and two other guys just pounding into each other during one of the local sets. I never feel energized enough to mosh usually, sometimes when I'm drinking.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
K0NY said:
I am not comparing hardcore dancing to a video of people in a dance studio performing choreography. No. I just said that the description to which I replied could just as easily characterize Krumping or breaking battles or any number of competative dances. They are born from people wanting to let out some aggression in public while their favorite music plays. As long as everyone is a willing participant I don't see a problem with it.

I've been to plenty of shows where this is the norm. I wouldn't call it the pinnacle of the scene or the culture, but it can be good to blow of some stress, but I fucking retired at 23. Now whenever I go, I stay the fuck away from the center or any large fat men (protip: those fuckers always start shit and force a pit even if it's not in the front or center.

But the part about the willing participants you know is a problem man. No matter what, someone gets pissed because things spill over and balloon out. It's usually that fat fuck again who hits some dude's chick with his hulking mass and then that's when the boots turn to faces.

Oh god, these are such suburban "punk" fucks that I grew up with. Look at the spacing between everyone... it screams "I'm badass, but please don't hurt me... hey when's your mom picking us up again?"

Seriously: what the fuck is this ninja kick shit? Every kid is doing it.

ryan13ts

vatstep said:
One of the funniest things ever. I used to go to shows back in the day with some friends that would actually do this shit. I would just stand somewhere else while they danced like idiots.

Ditto here. At one show I went to a few years back, there were a group of these assholes trying to hardcore dance in this extremely enclosed space (the venue itself was pretty small). To make a funny/long story short, these idiots basically ended up beating the shit of each other unintentionally, and one guy who walked out of the little pit had a swollen eye and busted lip from being punched repeatedly :lol

I pretty much stay 50 ft. away from any hardcore dancing bullshit at any show I go to as a rule of thumb now.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
I don't know what the fuck that shit was the OP posted, must be a new thing. When I was younger (like 10 years ago) you just run around in a circle and get pushed by people on the sides. If someone fell they got picked up right away. I went to dozens of hardcore shows and there was never a problem. Also there was never a name for it (like "dancing" or "moshing"), we just "went in the pit."

Jeff-DSA

dorj3t.gif

Absolutely ridiculous.

We're so hardcore that we put 5 feet of space around us! Moshing can be fun if people keep the elbows down and the hands open, but this crap is just for straight up screwtards.

agrajag

Banned
Jeff-DSA said:
dorj3t.gif

Absolutely ridiculous.

We're so hardcore that we put 5 feet of space around us! Moshing can be fun if people keep the elbows down and the hands open, but this crap is just for straight up screwtards.

Yep, this is what I was saying. There are people who just want to mosh and push each other around and whatever. And then you have these fucktards who insist on being there, and you can't have a normal mosh because someone is then going to be kicked or elbowed in the face. And then fights break out. I've seen it too many times.

msv

agrajag said:
See, that's exactly what I'm talking about. I see kids doing that at every concert here. That's why I stopped going.

Of course the huge, burly death metal dudes all despise them and beat the shit out of them if they even get near.:lol
Doesn't anyone just knock them aside or start a real moshpit or something? Never seen people acting like that in a concert, they don't get the chance, mostly way too crowded for that stuff.

What's with the people at the sides not dancing btw? They look like they're looking at the lame-dance, but why?

agrajag

Banned
msv said:
Doesn't anyone just knock them aside or start a real moshpit or something? Never seen people acting like that in a concert, they don't get the chance, mostly way too crowded for that stuff.

What's with the people at the sides not dancing btw? They look like they're looking at the lame-dance, but why?

The problem is, these emo kids far outnumber metalheads at shows nowadays. At METAL shows! And a lot of metalheads just want to enjoy their show and bang their heads and do windmills with their hair and start chants and throw the horns in the air. You know. They don't want to mosh.

What kind of shows do you go to? If it's a local or even a touring band that's signed to an indy label, you're not going to get a packed venue. Depends on location as well.

And the people in that video are probably just trying to make sure they don't get hit.

msv

Time's a changin a guess. Never been to metal concerts or anything, the mosh-pits I've been at were at either rap, hip-hop, hardcore or hardstyle parties. But how could you resist going in there and just slamming everying aside? Well I guess I can understand if you're the only one slamming them and they're all trying to spaz on you together. Still, you could knock out most of those kids with one punch each. That would be awesome, just walking in there, block their spazzy crap, KNOCKOUT, then on to the next.

agrajag said:
See, that's exactly what I'm talking about. I see kids doing that at every concert here. That's why I stopped going.

Of course the huge, burly death metal dudes all despise them and beat the shit out of them if they even get near.:lol

I've never seen shit like that. When kids did it when I went to shows, it was more like jumping in place and kicking out, but they were kicking forward so as long as no one suddenly ran into them, they wouldn't kick anyone. It was more like gymast kicks except not as graceful.

hokahey

agrajag said:
Moshing has been around as long as there's been heavy music. It's pretty much chaotic running around/pushing to heavy music, no structure at all. I wouldn't consider it dancing at all. It's usually in good fun and kicking and punching are frowned upon.

Slam dancing (what you people are calling hardcore dancing) is more structured and involves punching and doing karate kicks in the air (of course with an increased number of people and level of excitement, people are bound to be kicked and punched in the face), jumping, even doing crazy acrobatic stunts (I've seen people flipping in the air and whatnot). There are certain movements that they follow, and it's supposed to be done to a beat. They get most excited during slow breakdowns in songs.

The above are really two different cultures, and when they clash bad things happen. People get hurt.

This man knows what he's talking about.

Then the jocks show up and ruin it for everyone.

bitq

It's sad because a lot of the music is pretty sophisticated. Multiple time signatures, keys, clashing rhythms. Too bad there's so much distortion and screaming it just sounds like a bunch of chain saws.

Zeke said:
I used to jump in pits all the time when I went to shows good fuckin times. One of last times I caught an elbow to the nose and started bleeding every where. I had to go to the bathroom wash up then jump back in. The shows I went to no one did any of that "hardcore" shit and people were cool enough to help you up if you fell. Punk shows always had the best pits.
I've only had great experiences at metal show pits, but thats because we had (I think they're gone now) some awesome show organizers around my parts that would get awesome bands in awesome little venues that would draw the best crowds, where all the hardcore kids got laughed out and if you didn't wanna be in the pit/front row mash up no one forced you. Really cool people, everyone would help everyone up, and I even got my wallet returned to me after a show!
Also...walls of death are so fucking rad.

Timber

M3wThr33 said:
I just laugh when people call anything else hardcore.
you do realise that hardcore punk was around and was called hardcore long before the music you're talking about existed, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom