• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bonus Round with Jaffe, Gerstmann and Pachter - aw yeah

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Spirit of Jazz said:
People wouldn't moan if a decent system was used (online registration at people pointed out).

Online authentication is the worst idea anyone has ever had.

I don't need some piece of shit spyware phoning home just so I can play a game.

shawnlreed

LiquidMetal14 said:
I have to agree that he looks like he's wearing a bib :lol :lol :lol

Oh God, the bib. :lol :lol

3456653279_c1d1a17407.jpg

I CAN'T UNSEE IT

My first thought on seeing the panel was the Jeff looks like the prototypical man-child that most people think of when they hear the word "gamer."

Good ep though. And I dig Pachter.

Doytch

Pachter's a fucking idiot. If I install something on my desktop and laptop, that's two activations. One reformat/OS upgrade/installation on dual boot partition and I'm out of installations. Then I have to fucking beg some dude in an Indian call center to play my game. Fuck that. How about I just don't buy your shit.

I usually don't get mad at people spewing garbage, but for fucks sake dude, get a clue.

And this is not even considering the fact that DRM does not stop/slow down piracy to any appreciable degree, it just pisses off customers.

DRM doesn't do jack shit to pirates, it's there to prevent games from being resold/traded. It's weird that gaming journalists rarely bring that up.

As for used game sales in general, the other side of the coin needs to be examined in which profit margins for new games are razor thin. You can't blame GS for going into used game sales when their cut of new game sales is so low. The only thing right about Jaffe's statement is that the consumer should always get the best deal.

Doytch said:
Pachter's a fucking idiot. If I install something on my desktop and laptop, that's two activations. One reformat/OS upgrade/installation on dual boot partition and I'm out of installations. Then I have to fucking beg some dude in an Indian call center to play my game. Fuck that. How about I just don't buy your shit.

I usually don't get mad at people spewing garbage, but for fucks sake dude, get a clue.

And this is not even considering the fact that DRM does not stop/slow down piracy to any appreciable degree, it just pisses off customers.

Agreed, I didn't think it was a big deal either until it happened to me. Most legitimate customers don't mind and a lot actually want DRM that actually prevents pirating.

Fuck them for defending spore. Fuck them in the ass.

I'm not buying ANYTHING with DRM in it, and any company that thinks they can force me by limiting my choices can fuck off and die.

Oh yeah, and fuck Onlive, I don't rent games, I buy them.

pakkit

Banned
DRM was a failed experiment on iTunes, there's no need to give it a "fair shake" in the videogame business.

The music industry and the videogame industry are in the same slide, trying to find new ways to keep consumers away from piracy and buying their product. I don't see it getting any easier for either part soon. Still, I think OnLive, if it potentially works, will be a huge break for gaming and finally make the PC a viable platform again. Digital downloads does seem to be the way to go. It's a shame though, I love my boxes.

Balb

watership said:
Looks matter?

Eh, Jax is pretty douchey when it comes to podcasts in general from what I understand. I don't think he takes other peoples' feelings into account when he posts.

Darklord

Banned
$2000 PC, patcher, come on...

On the matter of DRM, it's not only the fact that it has a 3 limit restriction(that you can't revoke) its the fact that if I pirate it I can get a better deal than if I don't. It makes the honest buyers look like pirates. It makes the pirates...just pirate it anyway. Spore is the highest pirated game of ALL time. Jaffe is bitching about Spore selling great, well it lost like 3 million sales. It's ok for them but not gamespot selling used games? I didn't hear gamestop ever selling that many used games on one title.

Jaffe: Used games keep game retailers alive. Used games go and EB, Gamestop, Gametraders, GAME ect go along with it.
I go onto an EB and see "Trade in 2 games get RE5 for free". Thats a NEW game for them, sold and done, all because of used games. People can't go out and buy new game after new game.
Secondly you can do things like GTA or Gears 2 and put simple ways in your games that make people either buy new or keep the game for later use. Also used games make up 20%(as little as 8% but every store gets most of its profits from it) at most of the sales in Game retailers.

Gully State said:
Agreed, I didn't think it was a big deal either until it happened to me. Most legitimate customers don't mind and a lot actually want DRM that actually prevents pirating.

Either way, these publishers have to do something because Demigod having 102,000 pirated copies and when they only sold 18,000 copies is pretty ridiculous.

Now what that solution is I don't know, personally I love steam and think everything on PC should just go to that but we shall see.

Either way, if the status quo continues it truly will be the death of PC gaming.

And I don't think Jaffe has a problem with used sales and rentals per se. I think his problem is more of the fact that that video games do not see a cut of the profit like other industries do.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Interactive Fiction said:
3456982869_f78990c241_o.jpg

Now they can all eat pie !!!

Or have the all you can eat buffet at Red Lobster. Gerstmann's already on his fourth plate. :O

Darklord said:
$2000 PC, patcher, come on...

I almost wonder if Alienware is what killed PC gaming.

Anyway, this was better than the first segment since they all had various opinions but no one was being asked to admit he had lead his company down a blind ally.

I think Jaffe was close to the truth when he said that if GS only sold used games for 1/2 the new price then used games would be a net plus for the publishers. I think the big issue is the high margins that GS has. That limits the benefit to consumers and thus the ability of used sales to reach a market not served by new sales (i.e. anyone that would pay $55 used would have payed $60 for a new one).

That's pretty much what Jaffe said, but you can imagine that if GS sold used games for $55 but bought them for $45 then a lot of people would buy new copies knowing that they could sell them later.

The point is that with high upfront costs an minimal marginal costs, the publishers and devs would like to sell to a broad swath of consumers but discriminate on price just like, say, airlines do. Used games could help them do that but they way it works now doesn't do that at all.

Nice to see Pachter back off the PS3 winner prediction. That was becoming quite untenable.

Why didn't Jaffe STFU about console warz? It was clear he didn't like the discussion but he was the one that kept it going! :lol

Edit: Oh . . . those comments are for the first installment obviously.

Jaffe's got to cutback on the f-bombs. At one point the censoring (beeps) were so heavy I couldn't make out what he was saying. :lol

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
H.Cornerstone said:
Either way, these publishers have to do something because Demigod having 102,000 pirated copies and when they only sold 18,000 copies is pretty ridiculous.

Now what that solution is I don't know, personally I love steam and think everything on PC should just go to that but we shall see.

Either way, if the status quo continues it truly will be the death of PC gaming.

And I don't think Jaffe has a problem with used sales and rentals per se. I think his problem is more of the fact that that video games do not see a cut of the profit like other industries do.
Any PC game of interest [to european pc-centric gamers] gets pirated out the asshole. Anyone with some knowledge will tell you that DRM doesn't change this fact. Steam doesn't change this fact. Hell, WoW is pirated heavily with private pirate servers...

And to imply that this is a recent problem is also false. piracy has been just as present since the floppy. Internet made distribution easier and it grew exponentially and it made it possible to somewhat track it. But there is no desperate need to eliminate piracy since pirates aren't potential consumers. Those who want to play Demigod will buy it, pirates download it because a)they've got OCD when it comes to catching them all b)they wanna try it out. There are very few games that get online servers for online play for pirated copies, you gotta be a blizzard or valve game for that kind of attention.

This is only a problem because people have gotten it into their heads that pirates are costumers who instead of buying choose to pirate. Those exist, but they are in no way the major part of the piracy scene. Just focus on your user-base and sell to them.

Brobzoid said:
Any PC game of interest [to european pc-centric gamers] gets pirated out the asshole. Anyone with some knowledge will tell you that DRM doesn't change this fact. Steam doesn't change this fact. Hell, WoW is pirated heavily with private pirate servers...

And to imply that this is a recent problem is also false. piracy has been just as present since the floppy. Internet made distribution easier and it grew exponentially and it made it possible to somewhat track it. But there is no desperate need to eliminate piracy since pirates aren't potential consumers. Those who want to play Demigod will buy it, pirates download it because a)they've got OCD when it comes to catching them all b)they wanna try it out. There are very few games that get online servers for online play for pirated copies, you gotta be a blizzard or valve game for that kind of attention.

This is only a problem because people have gotten it into their heads that pirates are costumers who instead of buying choose to pirate. Those exist, but they are in no way the major part of the piracy scene. Just focus on your user-base and sell to them.

Whether or not it's a recent or new issue is kind of irrelevant, as PC gaming did not have the competition that they do now from console gaming.

And publishers are not going to be happy with a game being pirated by 5 times the amount of people buying it, so they have to come in on a holiday weekend in order to turn on servers for people who didn't buy the game. Servers and what not cost money and are there for people who bought the game to enjoy, not for people who have just stolen a game.

Pirated games cost the company a lot of money either way, and if it doesn't stop soon, PC gaming will die. Publishers aren't going to want to put up with it, and it will prevent smaller companies like stardock and gas powered games from being successful.

The way XBL has its DRM working is fine with me... If your HDD crashes you can re-download the software whenever you want because the purchase is tied to your account. That's pretty simple I think.

EDIT: wtf @ the bib? :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

NeoUltima

polyh3dron said:
The way PSN and XBL have their DRM working is fine with me... If your HDD crashes you can re-download the software whenever you want because the purchase is tied to your account. That's pretty simple I think.
Well PSN actually limits you to 5 DLs, but it isn't tied to your account, only has to be DL'd on it.

Brobzoid

H.Cornerstone said:
Whether or not it's a recent or new issue is kind of irrelevant, as PC gaming did not have the competition that they do now from console gaming.

And publishers are not going to be happy with a game being pirated by 5 times the amount of people buying it, so they have to come in on a holiday weekend in order to turn on servers for people who didn't buy the game. Servers and what not cost money and are there for people who bought the game to enjoy, not for people who have just stolen a game.

Pirated games cost the company a lot of money either way, and if it doesn't stop soon, PC gaming will die. Publishers aren't going to want to put up with it, and it will prevent smaller companies like stardock and gas powered games from being successful.
It's not too difficult to construct your game in such a fashion that it doesn't overload your servers since pirated copies can't use them, only check.

Smaller publishers like Stardock are doing the right thing and catering to their consumers. They aren't stupid and look at top 50 video game sales and expect those kind of numbers from a PC game. They tailor their budget so they'll be able to recoup it, that is what many publishers/developers these days don't do. Stardock is a successful company and will probably remain as such for a long time. Gas Powered Games, too probably, but I have no intimate knowledge about them or their practices.

SuperSonic1305 said:
Can Keighley shut up when other people are trying to talk? It makes me want to just turn off the video.
Hey! I'm sure Keighley is reading this thread. It's better to tell him to STFU when other people are trying to talk. It makes people want to just turn off the video.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
polyh3dron said:
oh really well NVM then, XBL has the best DRM setup.
You can deactivate the account to get your DL back.

Not to mention share your PSN purchases and split the cost ;)

KevinRo

I couldn't concentrate on their conversation. I just looked at Gerstamnn's socks the whole time. ROLL THAT SHIT DOWN SON

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
I believe the DRM for the VC and WiiWare games on the Wii are the same on XBL. They're tied to your account.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Truespeed said:

You know, this pic is better fitting than you think. I mean the bib and the stay up socks... And what's with those...umm...sandals, loafers, whateverthehell?

Brobzoid

KevinRo said:
I couldn't concentrate on their conversation. I just looked at Gerstamnn's socks the whole time. ROLL THAT SHIT DOWN SON
wtf you roll your socks down? Why not go all out and buy those ankle cut ones?

KevinRo

Brobzoid said:
wtf you roll your socks down? Why not go all out and buy those ankle cut ones?

I do. It's clear he doesn't, thus the advice lol

Does GT video skip for anyone else? wtf this is garbage.

Darklord

Banned
Seriously what's with all the Jeff fashion hate? It's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Nerds on a video game forum, telling off a nerd that he isn't dressed well enough in a panel of nerds at a game developer convention for a video game site.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Darklord said:
Seriously what's with all the Jeff fashion hate? It's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Nerds on a video game forum, telling off a nerd that he isn't dressed well enough in a panel of nerds at a game developer convention for a video game site.

2e2qdcy.jpg

Truespeed

Darklord said:

Ever see that Sesame Street skit where they ask - Which one of these things is not like the other? Well, the answer was pretty obvious. And seriously, dude, if you can't see the humor in that t-shirt he's wearing and how it looks like a bib, to the untrained eye, then you're the one with a personal agenda. We think his shirt is funny - that's all.

Truespeed

Vilix said:
You know, this pic is better fitting than you think. I mean the bib and the stay up socks... And what's with those...umm...sandals, loafers, whateverthehell?

I believe those slippers are from the Dolce&Gabbana spring line. But, I think that baby tray needs food on it. That small tray has super big gulp written all over it.

Darklord

Banned
Truespeed said:
Ever see that Sesame Street skit where they ask - Which one of these things is not like the other? Well, the answer was pretty obvious. And seriously, dude, if you can't see the humor in that t-shirt he's wearing and how it looks like a bib, to the untrained eye, then you're the one with a personal agenda. We think his shirt is funny - that's all.

Nah I find the shirt funny. Just the rest of the hate seems pretty stupid.

But I guess it's the same level as pachter and jaffe

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
I'm sure they're comfortable as hell.

As far as hating on the panel's fashion sense, I don't believe anyone is doing that. That's the best thing about being a nerd. Nerds make fun of other nerds fashion sense because we can and we don't take it personally. Gerstmann is probably reading what I posted and saying "I'm sure you wish you where I could be right now". And he'd be right. Hell, I'd wear a freaking lobster suit if I could be on a videogame panel with those guys. :lol

Top Bottom