• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo's H1 profit falls 59 pct, cuts forecast

Road

swerve said:
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/library/events/091030/img/slide/42l.jpg[IMG]

So the fall in the US market was not really *led* by Nintendo, as their market share in America has grown through the first nine months of this year.

So many pics and stats (especially interesting for those curious about PS3/360 ratios this year...

[url]http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/library/events/091030/index.html[/url][/QUOTE]
Thanks.
[img]http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/library/events/091030/img/slide/10l.jpg
22l.jpg

Estimate based no pixels for hardware sales in UK, France, Germany and Spain (75% to 80% of whole Europe, according to Nintendo) in 2009 up to September:

DS: 4.11m
Wii: 2.23m
360: 1.23m
PS3: 1.38m
PSP: 0.79m
PS2: 0.31m

mentalfloss said:
"Units in Tens of Thousands"

FUCK YOU... okay, maybe it's not so bad, but seriously.. TENS of thousands? Who does that?

The Japanese, I guess. I don't know the technical term in English, but where English groups words for numbers into 3 digit groups, Japanese groups it into 4 digit groups. They have a separate word for ten thousand for example, not a combination of "ten" and "thousand", a new separate word for hundred million (not million) etc. If this makes sense...I'm not really good at explaining stuff, and of course this might have nothing to do with this concrete situation :-D

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
mentalfloss said:
"Units in Tens of Thousands"

FUCK YOU... okay, maybe it's not so bad, but seriously.. TENS of thousands? Who does that?

Asians? Ten Thousand (萬) is a discrete unit in Chinese Numbering.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Road said:
Thanks.
*snip*

Estimate based no pixels for hardware sales in UK, France, Germany and Spain (75% to 80% of whole Europe, according to Nintendo) in 2009 up to September:

DS: 4.11m
Wii: 2.23m
360: 1.23m
PS3: 1.38m

PSP: 0.79m
PS2: 0.31m

Interesting given conventional wisdom about these two in Europe after MS's cuts last Autumn. And that's before Slim too.

Deku

Banned
Nintendo's issue is really software.

They really need more of everything. They need to partner with more developers to make games they can't possibly make on time.

Other M, S&P2 are nice. But how about having SE handle a high profile RPG, Namco handle a racer etc?

It's not like there's a shortage of staff, the recession has created a lot of unemployed artists and staff in Japan. They could probably staff 10 studios full of people working on games if they wanted to.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
21 first party worldwide million sellers, 43 third party ones for Wii

Nintendo really needs some good commercials this holiday season. I'm seeing Sony's current fantastic commercial campaign every single time I turn on the tv, no matter the channel seemingly.

Those "Wii would like to play" commercials seemed effective, but I never see them any more and they don't seem to have anything to replace them. Granted, I'm sure NSMBWii will get some type of push. Nintendo really needs to show off the software they've amassed, however. A commercial featuring a diverse array of clips from the likes of Wii Sports Resort, Wii Fit+, Excitebots, Dead Space: Extraction, and Final Fantasy:CCTCB would likely help a great deal in getting those games and the Wii back into the public consciousness.

dolemite

gofreak said:
Interesting given conventional wisdom about these two in Europe after MS's cuts last Autumn. And that's before Slim too.
Yes, but the 2008 to 2009 trend is: Xbox 360 getting bigger and PS3 getting smaller so Sony had to release the Slim to stop the drop.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Stumpokapow said:
no it isn't
YES IT IS D:

It is odd how many titles there are for 2009 though, and this is the last report for 2009 too. Wonder if they will really make it out this year. Only 2 months left. And only 2 titles that are left from the report this time last year, and they were marked 2009 at the time too.

AniHawk

Road said:

NSMB DS is so very close to beating out SMW. Mario Kart Wii sales have kinda slowed. It's only sold 3m this FY so far vs. the 15 million for the previous year. I'm sure a lot of publishers would like to have the problem of a year old game only selling 3m in the first half of the second FY of its release.

Wii Fit Plus numbers indicate a pretty decent October for the US. Overseas shipments might include Australia, but I think it might be a stretch to include Europe (it only came out there recently). So first month sales of Wii Fit Plus might be around the 600k-700k range in the US. I've been seeing commercials for it too, though not as many as the new (and damn good) campaign Sony rolled out.

bttb said:
Finally. It proves what I have been saying nearly a year. On page 5:
This chart is based on market size of U.K., Germany, France and Spain.
It shows a steeper decline than the U.S., as the Pound became much cheaper against the Euro compared to last year. It cut nearly 480 million Euro of sales .
Take that NoE reps who were "Oh your prices have gone up its because Pound has declined against the Yen and we cannot make a profit otherwise". Thing is; was it 480 million Euro of sales they were meant to have (the £ price for titles was higher than € for quite a few years). The scariest thing even increasing the prices has not prevented the decline.

Aniawk said:
but I think it might be a stretch to include Europe (it only came out there recently)
From page 7:
Iwata said:
Next I’d like to talk about Wii Fit Plus that was just launched.
It launched in early October in Japan and the U.S.
It will launch today in the European market and thus we do not yet have actual sales data.

Top Bottom