• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for August 2010

markatisu

farnham said:
oh yes i did. forgot about it since its been out for ages in japan. nintendo could have absorbed a lot of damage if they had released wii party in June

But why when in the US most Wii sales come Nov-Jan, you release something people want and it spurs other things to be sold in addition.

Why blow that in June?

watership

2 Minutes Turkish said:
So do we give Reach a real chance of topping MW2s 6 mill first month?

Reach could be the best game ever made and have the best marketing and never reach that number in 1 month. You can't make that sort of money on just one platform, that fast.

Ridley327

markatisu said:
But why when in the US most Wii sales come Nov-Jan, you release something people want and it spurs other things to be sold in addition.

Why blow that in June?
Think of the forum drama!

DMeisterJ

Banned
jvm said:
Also, adding in another post because I don't want it to get missed. This was at the bottom of NPD's spreadsheet. It's new language, I believe.
My emphasis.

Cool.

Quarterly means much more meaningful NPD threads.

zero_suit

Bizzyb said:
Wii is done for. Throw in the towel. Once Kinect and Move drop on the scene it's over. Nintendo better be getting that Wii 2 ready for a 2011 release cause if not they are seriously fucked.

Also Nintendo, 3DS in 2010 or drown

:lol :lol :lol

Wii will finish first by a LARGE margin. Also, Move and Kinect will not be as successful as you think. They're both add-ons and the software is not really compelling.

Wonder what the Mafia II's PS3 numbers were and if the exclusive DLC helped it.

Salami Inferno said:
Pretty calm NPD's. No errors logging in, and no GIF's in 4 pages.

Hardware is pretty much carbon copy of last month.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Spiegel said:
You mean 99$ or less, don't you?

A 19$/29$ pricedrop would do nothing.
I'd love the PSP to drop to 99$. I be able to pick up a Used one for about 60-70$ then. Finally be able to play the few titles I own+ get Ys 7.

But I doubt Sony cares about market share anymore. System is dead outside of Japan, and they probably know it. Even with a drop, they still wouldn't have a shot at recovering any market shares lost. They are probably just going to ride it out and make as much profit as they can. Try again with PSP2 or CellPSP

Penguin

360 is doing well.

Nintendo's problem really is they haven't released compelling software since Super Mario Galaxy 2. I know they released Sin and Punishment in that time, but really nothing else.

I suspect between Disney Guilty Party (if Disney is actually advertising it) and Metroid: Other M that it will get a minor bump this month.

Which will be helped out by Kirby, Wii Party and while most won't think so, I believe NBA Jam will cater to a certain demographic.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Yeah Sony definitely needs a price drop on the PSP. They also need to announce a successor soon, as in before the 3DS launches. Otherwise they're going to get absolutely slaughtered by Nintendo before they can even get out the gate.

Spiegel said:
You mean 99$ or less, don't you?

A 19$/29$ pricedrop would do nothing.

$129 Standalone
$149 Bundles

I think that's the way to go. I imagine that $99 would put them in the red.

Jtyettis said:
Nintendo may have a real problem here. With that said what is this about NPD quarterly what?

Software includes sales of new physical games sold at retail; does not include revenue from used, digital downloads, dlc, rental, subscription, mobile or social network games.
NPD will report on the total market, including these other forms of revenue, on a quarterly basis in the near future.

Sounds like the are moving quarterly but we'll get digital download numbers now

Penguin said:
360 is doing well.

Nintendo's problem really is they haven't released compelling software since Super Mario Galaxy 2. I know they released Sin and Punishment in that time, but really nothing else.

I suspect between Disney Guilty Party (if Disney is actually advertising it) and Metroid: Other M that it will get a minor bump this month.

Which will be helped out by Kirby, Wii Party and while most won't think so, I believe NBA Jam will cater to a certain demographic.
I'm interested to see how Epic Mickey will do...in both sales and reviews.

Might as well re-use.

Mama gem.

npdcomvic1.gif

thcsquad

Snuggler said:
Oh yeah and Guitar Hero. We'll get to see how far the franchise has fallen!

You sure about that?

Also, I wonder how much of the general HW/SW sales decline is just Nintendo. I'm pretty sure both 360 and PS3 are up YOY for hardware. Software I have no idea.

farnham

Banned
markatisu said:

Why blow that in June?
well wii_____ titles usually have legs. they sell over a long period of time. so launching in june wouldnt have had a negative long term effect (wii fit launched in june i think)

also they knew that they only have super mario galaxy 2 for summer. they should have closed the gap a little.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Spiegel said:
This situation is not desperate enough?

They are already screwed, the September NPD numbers will be depressing. Even with amazing games like Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep, Valkyria Chronicles 2, and Phantasy Star Portable 2.

Might as well make some money while cutting the price a little bit to encourage people to buy your final push.

wizword

Banned
Jtyettis said:
Nintendo may have a real problem here. With that said what is this about NPD quarterly what?
They have no problem it still is going to be the best selling console during the winter.

FrankT

Near future. I wonder how near we are talking. Like Sept and October and then no numbers until January?

Ooooh that will hurt.

shwimpy said:
CALL OF DUTY: MODERN WARFARE 2* (360) |Nov-09| 4.20M
CALL OF DUTY: MODERN WARFARE 2* (PS3) |Nov-09| 1.87M

And Halo 3 did 3.3 million in it's first month on half the userbase. Will be interesting come next month. I don't even care about Reach but I'm buying a copy to play co-op with my friends. I have a few buddies doing the same.

jvm

Gamasutra.
NPD is not going quarterly...at least according to that note.

It means, as I read it, that they'll report full market (i.e. retail + everything else) quarterly.

I could be wrong, however.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Hcoregamer00 said:
They are already screwed, the September NPD numbers will be depressing. Even with amazing games like Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep, Valkyria Chronicles 2, and Phantasy Star Portable 2.

Might as well make some money while cutting the price a little bit to encourage people to buy your final push.

KH BBS will top 10. SE is on a streak on the PSP.

Fredescu

Isn't the quarterly thing just saying they will report on DD and DLC etc quarterly?

npd said:
Software includes sales of new physical games sold at retail; does not include revenue from used, digital downloads, dlc, rental, subscription, mobile or social network games.
NPD will report on the total market, including these other forms of revenue, on a quarterly basis in the near future.

Owzers

Infinite Justice said:

Sounds to me like they will do the regular monthly reporting and then every quarter do an expanded market report.

rosjos44

zero_suit said:
Almost, the PS2 is going down!:D

When I think about it the Ps2 being out for what 11 years? and the DS is only 6 years old and the Wii is 4? Considering the Wii and DS sales in that time frame makes the PS2 look good only in total numbers.

Mindlog

Infinite Justice said:

That sounds a little like there will be a more thorough quarterly report to compliment the traditional monthly stuff.

I hope so anyway.

Damnit, I'm last! Here's a bunny eating a flower.

Gravijah

jvm said:

It means, as I read it, that they'll report full market (i.e. retail + everything else) quarterly.

Phew.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Infinite Justice said:

I doubt we'll get the digital numbers as public knowledge. Microsoft and Sony have complete control over that information. I think a single "video game business quarterly revenue" number is all we'll get. Makes for a nice headline but not really the kind of thing that NPD can really make money on.

yankeehater said:
Holy fuck at the 360, next month is going to be a fucking bloodbath.

Nobody is going to buy a 360 just for Reach. Anybody who's buying the system for Halo already got it for Halo 3.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
ZealousD said:
Yeah Sony definitely needs a price drop on the PSP. They also need to announce a successor soon, as in before the 3DS launches. Otherwise they're going to get absolutely slaughtered by Nintendo before they can even get out the gate.
There is little to gain for Sony by dropping the price of the PSP. I don't think they're trying to gain any marketshare with the platform anymore, so there's absolutely no need for any action toward aggressive pricing.

DMeisterJ

Banned
jvm said:

Aww. D:

Jtyettis said:

They should be fine for now. They always do well in the holiday season, and DKCR should give them an additional boost. And they have Zelda early next year. We don't know what they have beyond that, but in fairness we didn't know about DK or Kirby 3 months ago.

Mr. B Natural said:
Mafia II isn't exactly the type of game with legs. 1/4 million on a 60 million dollar budget (and who knows the marketing budget) isn't something to get excited about.
This is doubly true when the competition last month will be nothing compared to the next few months.

If it had a 60 million dollar budget (which I doubt) they are insane. Many games don't even get into the top 10.

jvm said:

but don't they do that now in these reports (barring the dlc, used and digital download stuff obviously), with accessories, etc and detailed stuff that the public doesn't get?

Top Bottom