• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Epic Mickey |OT|

GhaleonQ

Being an animation elitist, I can't wait to see if he ACTUALLY used complex knowledge to assemble his Disney world. There have been other Warner Brothers and Disney games that have been based on animated shorts before, so simple references won't impress me.

That's immaterial to the actual quality, but it seems like every other trailer and interview's about the supra-game content.

Willy105 said:
Mickey's Epic Adventure does not sound better at all. Sounds like a kids game for Game Boy Color.

Sure does, but it at least doesn't sound as lazy as Epic Mickey.

Amir0x said:
And anyway, his idea of creativity is "Mickey's Epic Adventure"? That's probably the least creative name of all time

Mickey's Epic Adventure: Legend of the Heroes, then.

Apenheul said:
After reading this OT I checked out the local store (The Netherlands) and got the game. The voice acting is all Dutch and there's no way to switch to English but.. for once I actually like the dub. The narrator sounds like the guy who did the Vila Volta ride in the Efteling (theme park).

The graphics are awesome, not because of the tech but because of the painted textures, colors used, and deformed geometry. It's like Sly Raccoon but better. Gameplay wise it starts quite linear and I haven't seen much of the 'playstyle matters' thing so far, only once was I given the choice between getting a treasure and saving a gremlin. Difficulty is decent, and it does contain interesting platform elements but Mickey's jump physics take some getting used to. So far I'm pleasantly surprised.

You have GOT to be kidding me. I normally do like the Dutch Mickey Mouse voice acting, but I don't want it in my game. Well, I'll cancel my pre-order then and buy the UK version. Goddammit.

JADS

Holy shit at the
Clock Tower Boss
. I am having a blast so far, although I still haven't got used to jumping in the game. It’s not that the controls are dodgy or anything, Mickey's jumps physics are just a bit different than I am normally used to.

Edit:

Pizza Luigi said:
You have GOT to be kidding me. I normally do like the Dutch Mickey Mouse voice acting, but I don't want it in my game. Well, I'll cancel my pre-order then and buy the UK version. Goddammit.

Nah, you can force English, French or Dutch. Depends on your console setting.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Ohh will wait for impressions before deciding to get this or not, man just pre-ordered DCKR then this pops back on my Radar, I am hoping it is good ..I love platformers

ohh now do I get sonic Colours as well?

(also need to get SMG2 do not kill me gaf)

The platform love :D

Damn so I will need to get (I am in UK)
Kirby
DCKR
SC
SMG2
EPIC MICKEY (dependant on reviews)

but all in all looks like a great deal of love and detail has gone into crafting this game...
my wallet is evil it must be punished :p

Poyunch

Pizza Luigi said:
Well Mickey Mouse doesn't have any lines of dialogue so it shouldn't be much of a problem.

WillyFive

Prince of Space said:
Sure does, but it at least doesn't sound as lazy as Epic Mickey.

Lazy? How does Epic Mickey sound lazy? It's simple, not lazy.

Lazy would be......

Mickey's Epic Adventure: Legend of the Heroes, then.

:lol

What are the heroes? What's the legend? It is too specific, too long, and too generic to be memorable.

ROFL's Tragic Kingdom name is very good, although still very dark. Sounds gothic, the Tim Burton kind!

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Amir0x said:
It was the biggest non-Alan Wake disappointment of the year, in my book. Here's my write up, but in short it was the easiest game I ever purchased with actual money: literally for babies, the only Nintendo game I can think of that fits that criteria.

Of course, your mileage may vary... depending on how much you want your games to coddle you. I just want Epic Mickey to erase my memory of it.
I really hope Epic Mickey doesn't backfire on a lot of people...

Willy105 said:
Lazy? How does Epic Mickey sound lazy? It's simple, not lazy.

Lazy would be......

:lol

What are the heroes? What's the legend? It is too specific, too long, and too generic to be memorable.

*whoosh*

Anyway, I understand the logic behind the name -- I just think it could be better. Still excited for the game.

WillyFive

Prince of Space said:

So you were being sarcastic? Then in that case, I'm sorry. It happens all the time here. There's just no way for me to tell who's serious and not, since everybody here has a different opinion, usually polar opposites.

Anyway, I understand the logic behind the name -- I just think it could be better. Still excited for the game.

If they dropped the 'Disney' from it, it would be. Makes it seem too branded. Disney does this with DisneyDVD's, DisneyBlu-Ray, DisneyDigitalCopy....

Willy105 said:
So you were being sarcastic? Then in that case, I'm sorry. It happens all the time here. There's just no way for me to tell who's serious and not, since everybody here has a different opinion, usually polar opposites.
No worries. Like you said, comes with the territory. :lol And you're right, "simple" is probably a better descriptor than "lazy."

JADS said:
Holy shit at the
Clock Tower Boss
. I am having a blast so far, although I still haven't got used to jumping in the game. It’s not that the controls are dodgy or anything, Mickey's jumps physics are just a bit different than I am normally used to.

I noticed them from the first videos. I guess they didn't fix it.

That said, good to know you're having a great time. Please update more!

Hey all,

We just finished with a multi-site conference call with Warren Spector, and I've got a nice rich paraphrased transcription of sorts of the conversation.

Click here to check it out (there are two parts)!

Apologies for the hasty formatting; I just figured people cared more about the content. :)

Hope you like it... I really love the way he answers some of these things.

Amir0x

Banned
The_Technomancer said:
I really hope Epic Mickey doesn't backfire on a lot of people...
I mean, I don't think it will. I'm really curious to see how the 2D levels are, considering they were apparently outsourced or something. only thing that made me nervous.

legend166

Got this pre-ordered from ozgameshop.com for the ridiculously low price of $40. Means I probably won't get it until early December, but still very excited.

Amir0x

Banned
ROFL said:
The 2d levels weren't outsourced

False

The 2D levels inspired by cartoons such as Steamboat Willie and Clock Cleaners? Junction Point literally designed those levels on paper, sent those sketches to a firm in Bulgaria, said firm built the actual level, and then sent it back to Junction Point for critique and follow-up revisions. And again, the storyboard-style cutscenes were conceptualized internally, and then actually created/animated by an external firm.

Arde5643

othersteve said:
Hey all,

We just finished with a multi-site conference call with Warren Spector, and I've got a nice rich paraphrased transcription of sorts of the conversation.

Click here to check it out (there are two parts)!

Apologies for the hasty formatting; I just figured people cared more about the content. :)

Hope you like it... I really love the way he answers some of these things.
Love it - very thorough and informative - thanks dude.

My hype meter is off the charts as a Disney fanboy, never been to DL but I adore WDW.

If Splash Mountain makes an appearance I will cream my pants.

'Pretty good sure as you're born'

ROFL

Hail Britannia
Amir0x said:

"initial geometry of a level would be created internally. Then the level is sent off to an external firm for texture passes, and lighting"

The outsourcing companies did art and animation only. All design, testing etc was done internally. At least that's how it was being done when I was there.

JADS

Cow Mengde said:
I noticed them from the first videos. I guess they didn't fix it.

That said, good to know you're having a great time. Please update more!

My only major gripe so far is the stupid camera controls in the 3D parts. The camera is really wonky sometimes during platforming and combat. You can focus the camera behind Mickey by using the C-button on the nunchuck. That however doesn't work all the time and can be quite distracting during combat. Thank God Mickey can jump in first person otherwise certain parts would have been a leap of fate. I like the atmosphere, the paint mechanics and the world itself though. It has a certain surreal feeling to it, kinda like a Tim Burton movie.

Amir0x

Banned
ROFL said:
"initial geometry of a level would be created internally. Then the level is sent off to an external firm for texture passes, and lighting"

The outsourcing companies did art and animation only. All design, testing etc was done internally. At least that's how it was being done when I was there.

That's fine, you're only arguing about the LEVEL of outsourcing, not the fact that outsourcing was actually done for the 2D levels - which is absolutely true.

ROFL

Hail Britannia
Amir0x said:
That's fine, you're only arguing about the LEVEL of outsourcing, not the fact that outsourcing was actually done for the 2D levels - which is absolutely true.

And your concern was clearly about how the good gameplay is, not about the art. Right?

Amir0x

Banned
ROFL said:
And your concern was clearly about how the good gameplay is, not about the art. Right?

If, as the article asserts, a Bulgarian company was actually building the levels (that Junction Point designed on paper), then yea... concern about the gameplay.

You're asserting the article is wrong "since that's not how it was done.. when you were there." Who knows when you were there or for how long, but I doubt 1up pulled that from their ass.

In fact, you tried to claim no outsourcing was done until I linked the article, so it already puts your perspective in suspect.

ROFL

Hail Britannia
Amir0x said:
If, as the article asserts, a Bulgarian company was actually building the levels (that Junction Point designed on paper), then yea... concern about the gameplay.

You're asserting the article is wrong "since that's not how it was done.. when you were there." Who knows when you were there or for how long, but I doubt 1up pulled that from their ass.

In fact, you tried to claim no outsourcing was done until I linked the article, so it already puts your perspective in suspect.

lol I did not say "no outsourcing was done".
Some of you geeks are simply astounding, you'll kill yourself to argue a point and trust a website over someone who worked on it. Enjoy the game though. Peace

Amir0x

Banned
ROFL said:
The 2d levels weren't outsourced

Oh, the 2D levels weren't outsourced. Except, of course, when they were outsourced.

Later...

ROFL said:

B-b-but you didn't say there was no outsourcing, you only claimed there was no outsourcing on the very thing that was outsourced!

ROFL, ROFL, ROFL... you need to take a step back, remove the associated pride from working on a game coming out, and just be honest. INSULTING the people who are going to buy the game is even more poor form.

WillyFive

Watching more videos, the classic Rareware feel is overflowing in this game.

There's music here that feels straight out of Donkey Kong 64.

farnham

Banned
Willy105 said:
Watching more videos, the classic Rareware feel is overflowing in this game.

There's music here that feels straight out of Donkey Kong 64.
epic mickey... rare ware ? donkey kong ?

JADS said:
My only major gripe so far is the stupid camera controls in the 3D parts. The camera is really wonky sometimes during platforming and combat. You can focus the camera behind Mickey by using the C-button on the nunchuck. That however doesn't work all the time and can be quite distracting during combat.

Oh yeah, forgot about crummy camera. The floaty jumps and bad camera were there since E3. I was hoping they would borrow the lock-on technique from Zelda.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
just wanted to share this.

sleeping-beauty-1.jpg

mrpeabody

Nice art, but why is every stage in some kind of dingy half-light? It's a Mickey Mouse game, it should be lit like R&C or Sly Cooper.

It's not enough for a game like this to be fun. It has to look fun.

WillyFive

mrpeabody said:
Nice art, but why is every stage in some kind of dingy half-light? It's a Mickey Mouse game, it should be lit like R&C or Sly Cooper.

It's not enough for a game like this to be fun. It has to look fun.

Well, it's part of the story and themes of the game.

In the story, Mickey accidentally ruins the world where Oswald and the rest of the forgotten creatures lived.

It's supposed to look like you made a horrible mess and are now realizing what you made. If it's all bright, happy, and cheerful, it doesn't look too much of a mess.

mrpeabody

Willy105 said:
Well, it's part of the story and themes of the game.

In the story, Mickey accidentally ruins the world where Oswald and the rest of the forgotten creatures lived.

It's supposed to look like you made a horrible mess and are now realizing what you made. If it's all bright, happy, and cheerful, it doesn't look too much of a mess.
I understand that, but you can show "evil" or "ruined" or "nighttime" while still putting out enough light to see what's going on. It's Disney, it's not SWAT or ODST.

The other thing that bothers me is how Mickey gets lost visually. He's dark, the backgrounds are dark, and he blends right in. You can see it in the Dolphin videos and in official footage like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIf-ztxHd6U . The hud is crisp and full of life and the rest of the screen is a big murky mess.

Maybe it'll be different when we play it in person. It doesn't make sense to have such a basic problem in a big-budget game like this, where so much effort has obviously gone into the art direction. But right now, to me, it looks bad.

Top Bottom