• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGS: Ground Zeroes trailer in "ENGLISH" UP!

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I just don't get it. Every game that comes out from Japan in the U.S. still sounds like this. It's not 1997 anymore. Why does Troy Baker sound great in Bioshock Infinite, but sounds like he's acting in a Saturday morning cartoon in this?
Two reasons:

- Voice directors who can tell actors what to correct when they're not doing a good job, and can explain better what the scene is about and how they're supposed to sound like accordingly.

- Situation under which voices are recorded. Ever since first Uncharted, ND has been recording actors' voices together with their motion capture, on an improvised stage, where all the actors on the scene would actually talk to each other, walk around and gesticulate, etc. It's natural for people to sound good under these conditions, (and Baker sounded flat out amazing in TLOU). As opposed to that, voices for every high budget Japanese games made so far (that I know of) have been recorded in soundbooth where there would be one actor reading his lines, then the next day comes the next actor etc, and then the sound editor composes that into a dialogue. As you can imagine, combined with sub-par voice directors, hilarity ensues.

People will never realize that hayter was bad
He was 'bad' in a good way. Intentionally campy, for a reason.

Igo

I was really hoping the terrible voice acting in that initial hospital reveal was just a result of an early pre-production read specifically for that trailer, and not a sign of things to come. This is might actually be worse.

What the fuck was Kiefer thinking with that "A slice of American pie on communist soil, and out of US jurisdiction." line. So fucking awful.

I actually like the way Kiefer's voice sounds for Snake, but god damn if the delivery on "kept you waiting, huh?" isn't weird.

kept you waiting HUH

Mellahan

Concerned about dinosaur erection.
I seriously don't mind Kiefer if they're trying, in the English version at least, to differentiate the voices of BB and Solid Snake.

Alcoholica

Neo Member
Throwing in Hayter won't fix anything. "You remember that grizzly bastard you love? Well here he is!" won't amount to much in the long run.

Oh no, it would. With so many of the original actors returning its going to sound awful without david in the dialogue. I think baker sounds fantastic as ocelot from the small snippet we've heard but keifer just doesn't make it feel like home.

Vire

It's just amazing how these lavish, beautiful looking cutscenes are marred with such piss poor amateur voice direction.

They go through all this effort with lighting, different angles, cinematography and yet the voice acting sounds like something out of a 1997 video game. Not all of it can be put on the actors either, with lines that force them read "mother base".

cackhyena

I only noticed for the first time that all that rain is falling and nothing splatters on the ground, really. No drops jumping up off the ground, hardly.

Demon Ice

Banned
Ugh Christ the voice acting is absolutely terrible. Sutherland is awful as Big Boss. It looked and felt so unnatural when Boss's lips moved and Sutherland's bored, monotonous, phoned in performance played.

What the hell were they thinking not using Hayter?

The voice for the bad guy with the big hat and messed up face is pretty fucking bad too. Does not match the look of his character at all, and it sounds awkward to me.

I might actually play this in Japanese with English subtitles if I'm given the option. And I NEVER do that.

I'm not really mad about Hayter being replaced after Peace Walker. His Snake voice has gotten consistently worse.

Also, this isn't Solid Snake, guys, it's Big Boss. Hayter would have been kept if he had the range to do an older man's voice but he clearly doesn't. Also, quite honestly the idea of Big Boss sounding exactly his son just with more gravel in his throat, especially at the age he is, is fucking stupid.

I'll wait before I make a final judgement on Kiefer's acting. I really liked what I heard from the trailer linked above though.

Savitar

Not feeling the voices either.

With Snake, it comes off as wrong. I'm open to a potential voice change if it has to be done but that voice......yeah, doesn't work. At least if you go by that.

Skullface's VA didn't sound so hot either.

Granted only little to sample from but first impression isn't the best.

DMiz

I actually... didn't find that too terrible re: Sutherland? Granted, I'm not enamored with Hayter having to play the voice of Snake. I'm giving it a pass until we get a chance to hear more lines. (I didn't bother to stick around listening to Skull Face - that might sour me a bit more towards everything else).

is it true that kojima pratically fired the script translator from MGS1 for trying to make the lines sound better in english that just a straight up translation?

I think you're referring to this particular interview, where Jeremy himself details his relationship with Kojima:

Hardcore Gaming 101 Interview

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
I'm not really mad about Hayter being replaced after Peace Walker. His Snake voice has gotten consistently worse.

Also, this isn't Solid Snake, guys, it's Big Boss. Hayter would have been kept if he had the range to do an older man's voice but he clearly doesn't. Also, quite honestly the idea of Big Boss sounding exactly his son just with more gravel in his throat, especially at the age he is, is fucking stupid.

I'll wait before I make a final judgement on Kiefer's acting. I really liked what I heard from the trailer linked above though.

Tell that to Japan, they're using the same actor.

Bio-Frost

Also seems like people keep forgetting they used Hayter when they dubbed the MGS2 graphic novel for the legacy collection. His voice there was no where near as bad as peace walker. This had to of been done something this or last year. He can still do a good snake voice, pry VO director telling him to sound like he did in Peace Walker.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ioeH7uj8eo

With Blu Ray on both systems next gen do you think KP will have the Japanese VO on the same disc this time?

And I never got the Hayter hate. There are enough bad performances in recent MGS games from actors who normally do great work that I think its pretty clear its a director problem and not a talent one.

I mean skullface's voice sounds horribly cheesy in that trailer. Ill try and keep a open mind on Keifer but that lisp isnt helping.

Big Boss is 39 years old at the time of Peace Walker and Ground Zeroes, which makes him only 2-4 years older than Solid Snake in MGS2 who is in the early stages of artificially aging at the time.

co1onel

Ugh, I'm no hayter fanboy, but that performance is absolutely awful by sutherland. I facepalmed on the "kept you waiting huh" line.

Of course it sounds nothing like the snake we know, but its not just that. Its that its really not a good performance. It feels very forced and rushed.

Skullface's voice is also off. I expected him to sound more condescending and aggressive like his JP VA.

Kiefer still sounds like the good ol' Kiefer though. Of course no epic lines like in the E3 trailer, but he still sounds solid.

Derrick01

Banned
While everyone whines about a voice actor for the 7th month in a row we ignore how bad the actual gameplay looks. I guess it's to be expected *sigh*

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Jesus. Even the way BB talks and forms his sentences isn't close to how he talked in MGS3, PO, PW, MG, MG2, 4. What a fucking disgrace to the fans. I'm ashamed to have liked MGS. Richard Doyle is Best Boss.

RK9039

Kiefer's first line: 'Shhee surviveee'

That honestly doesn't sound anything like Japanese Snake's performance, he sounded genuinely surprised in the JP trailer, but Sutherland sounds like he's not bothered at all. It honestly sounds like Robin is carrying, he had the best performance there so at least they didn't mess up with him.

Alcoholica

Neo Member
No I will, I'm just praying that the JP voices are on the disk.

What a shame...

Cant tell you how many times i watched the original trailer last year. If the japenese voices are on the disk im so playing it like that. Its got the soul.

I was really hoping the terrible voice acting in that initial hospital reveal was just a result of an early pre-production read specifically for that trailer, and not a sign of things to come. This is might actually be worse.

What the fuck was Kiefer thinking with that "A slice of American pie on communist soil, and out of US jurisdiction." line. So fucking awful.

he's a clone of Big Boss. they can say they have the exact same vocal cords or some shit.

is it true that kojima pratically fired the script translator from MGS1 for trying to make the lines sound better in english that just a straight up translation?

this is what i heard from the Yovideogames MGS1 lets play from Maximillian and Matt, dont know if actually true

You know, I'd like to know this as well. I'm not saying MGS1 was some Ocsar-worthy ensemble performance, but it sounded more natural I guess. The impression that I've gotten from Kojima, whom I love and Metal Gear is my favorite franchise, is that he wants everything to be translated near-literally and it just doesn't work.

I mean, I love Metal Gear. I just wish they had the equivalent of the 8-4 guys to do translation. I'm sure it sounds and flows really naturally in the native Japanese language, but in English it just sounds so weird and that's not even taking into account the voice actors' performances. I just wish Konami gave them the freedom to just say, OK, that really doesn't sound natural. Let's tweak it a bit and it might sound more natural.

Sorral

Does the Japanese version of the game have English subtitles? This might be the first time I play a MGS game in JP.

Snake's and Skull Face's feel way off.

People will never realize that Hayter was bad

I have never considered him bad. Even if I did, I would still take him to VA snake any day over Kiefer as Kiefer's voice just doesn't feel right in here at all. Kiefer is also Jack Bauer...

Heck, Richard Doyle would fit too.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Also seems like people keep forgetting they used Hayter when they dubbed the MGS2 graphic novel for the legacy collection. His voice there was no where near as bad as peace walker. This had to of been done something this or last year. He can still do a good snake voice, pry VO director telling him to sound like he did in Peace Walker.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ioeH7uj8eo

Much better. I much prefer this Snake.

Derrick01

Banned
you're kidding right?

Before the day gameplay video is half over I've seen tracking marks on enemies and see through walls abilities already. Haven't even got to the slow mo headshots after getting spotted yet. This is as bad as all the other recent "stealth" games so far.

edit: Oh goodie he just did a takedown on a guard right in front of another one but he just watched and waited for Snake to take him down too.

he's a clone of Big Boss. they can say they have the exact same vocal cords or some shit.

Yeah if you don't have any idea of how that even works and how his brothers sound nothing like him, sure.

You realize he would have to be 100% copied to even have a chance of that making sense, which he wasn't because they didn't grow him in a tube or something. Gonna just quote the wiki here: "In 1972, utilizing the latest in Analog Cloning technology and the Super Baby Method, an egg from Dr. Clark's Japanese assistant was fertilized with Big Boss's DNA and transferred to the womb of EVA, who volunteered to be the surrogate mother."

So yeah exact same vocal cords idea doesn't work. Not even in fictional MGS land.

Edit-In fact, Solidus was the perfect clone of the three, so that idea makes even less sense!

ZenTzen

The weird thing is, I thought Kiefer sounded decent in that E3 trailer.

probably because you didnt have the face to associate the voice too, yes we listened to the lines but never actually saw the face say those lines, now putting BBs face with keifers voice, just doesnt really wok

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Keifer's voice is a joke right? Improvement my ass.

At this point I think it's just a scam to throw everyone off but since HK is the George
Lucas of video games I worry ever more.

Only saving grave in MGS5 is when Hayter and Clarke are introduced. Best case scenario is when Solidus makes an appearance but I doubt it seeing how garbage this game is turing out to be. This is trash. Fucking trash.

Top Bottom