• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Binding of Isaac Rebirth GIFs show off dynamic laser weapon combos.

http://bindingofisaac.com/post/82063413793/the-champion-belt
The Champion Belt!
todays rebirth item tease comes in the form of a not so exciting item that im using as a way to talk about a new feature in rebirth that i think is quite amazing, but 1st lets get this belt out of the way.
tumblr_inline_n3p0v6jArH1rq0wgw.jpg

the champion belt is a STORE ITEM, that raises the % chance of champion enemies appearing in rooms but also raises damage. a lot of items will be moved around item pool wise to fit a “store theme”. the store will feature more support items that are obviously very optional and you have more options on what one(s) you choose to use as you play. most players wont scoff at a damage up item for a few pennies.. but there are a lot more to champions in rebirth than there were before.
in the past a champion was just a larger enemy that had double hp and did a full heart of damage, each champion was randomly tinted to make them look special.. but there really wasnt much special about them other than that.
another big goal in rebirth is to push the random factor up higher, and special champions raise that aspect by a shit ton.
tumblr_inline_n3p0z9JfZ81rq0wgw.jpg

binding of isaac: rebirth will feature a large number of custom designed champions each with their own special stats, features, ai and item drops.
here is a good example:
uTr22EG.gif

as you might notice in the gif, there are 2 champions in this room (because im wearing the belt) one is orange and one is solid black. im not going to talk about the orange one.. because its not obvious what hes doing special, but the black one is what i call a “lost champion”. if you pay attention you can see he becomes invisible shortly after entering the room. all of the many new champions each have their own special abilities just like him.
Solid Black = fades in and out of visibility / item drop = red chest
Yellow = double walk/shoot speed / item drop = undisclosed new pickup item
Red = very high hp / item drop = heart
Grey = blows up when killed / items drop = bomb
Green = leaves green creep under itself / item drop = pill
(there are a ton more, but i dont wanna spoil the fun)
TyBs3Gb.gif

(sorry about the frame rate in this gif, i recorded it at 16 fps)
as you might imagine this totally changes how you approach each and every enemy in the game and is quite a fun game changer that pays out when it comes to risk/reward.
aside from those, champions will still feature double hp and do a full heart of damage when they hit you.. but they are much more of a challenge this time.. thats for sure.
next week ill show you my knife!

Novocaine

That's a sweet item. I'm curious about that pot in the bottom gif. I wonder if that's a replacement for the grey blocks?

Duxxy3

Something I keep wondering about with the controller capable versions of the game - what are the devs planning to do with charge weapons? They work great on a keyboard, but are shit on a controller, at least if you need to change charge direction. A charge button seems like the most obvious answer to me.

Novocaine

Something I keep wondering about with the controller capable versions of the game - what are the devs planning to do with charge weapons? They work great on a keyboard, but are shit on a controller, at least if you need to change charge direction. A charge button seems like the most obvious answer to me.

I have never had a problem with charge weapons on a controller. I use the abxy buttons for shooting and just roll from one button to the next.

Duxxy3

I have never had a problem with charge weapons on a controller. I use the abxy buttons for shooting and just roll from one button to the next.

I always drop the charge when switching, at least when switching to opposite buttons (x to b, a to y). That is something that is easily done on keyboard, not so easily on controller. IMO, a charge button (LB or L1) would would make using those items more natural.

I've never had a problem either, and it'd be really weird to have a button that is only used for a small fraction of pickups in the game.

Not to mention Vita already doesn't have enough buttons, would you really want the charge button mapped to like "left half of rear touch panel"?

Duxxy3

I've never had a problem either, and it'd be really weird to have a button that is only used for a small fraction of pickups in the game.

Not to mention Vita already doesn't have enough buttons, would you really want the charge button mapped to like "left half of rear touch panel"?

Well what button is going to be used for pills/cards?

Well what button is going to be used for pills/cards?

Exactly, there aren't enough buttons on Vita for the functions already there. Something is gonna be moved to like the touch screen or touch panel or select. No idea which would be the least weird. Probably the touch screen.

Duxxy3

Exactly, there aren't enough buttons on Vita for the functions already there. Something is gonna be moved to like the touch screen or touch panel or select. No idea which would be the least weird. Probably the touch screen.

I doubt it's gonna be the touch screen. That would mean you've taken your thumb off the fire buttons.

As much as I loathe it, I think your earlier suspicions are correct, and pills/cards will be the back touch (or part of the back touch).

Novocaine

I always drop the charge when switching, at least when switching to opposite buttons (x to b, a to y). That is something that is easily done on keyboard, not so easily on controller. IMO, a charge button (LB or L1) would would make using those items more natural.

I dig that. I just roll from x to a to b on a 360 pad and hold the charge fine though. It never really was a problem for me, feels natural.

Akai__

We should rename this thread to "Binding of Isaac: Rebirth information thread" or something like this.

Game still looks awesome and it's sth. I'm very hyped for.

Also, dat knife tease! :O

http://bindingofisaac.com/post/82762252439/thats-not-a-knife

The most requested item combo in rebirth i get is… moms knife + XYZ. so this week i want to show you my knife… + moms eye…
JlyGjmF.gif

but what happens if you get lokis horns!?
jeRq6Jw.gif

but what if i get triple shot + the tiny planet + my reflection too!?!!?
HFo1LtT.gif

BUT WHAT IF I GET ALL THESE + BRIMSTONE!?!!! well that will have to wait till a later date…
and for those if you screaming OP! you are correct, but keep in mind there are well over 350 items total now and each item has a “weight” or rarity associated with it as well as new more specific item pools.. so getting these combos is very rare.. but still possible. if you can get them you deserve to rip through the game! (and probably win the lotto)

Okay, that new one certainty changes how you approach the game. I wonder how it reacts with some other items, as I can see that really being op in the right situations.

Du2andal

Banned
I tend to roll my eyes when I see yet another indie game going all pixel art but this really does look a ton better than the flash version. I can't wait to check it out.

I tend to roll my eyes when I see yet another indie game going all pixel art but this really does look a ton better than the flash version. I can't wait to check it out.
I tend to roll my eyes when I see yet another big-budget game going all polygons. Can't developers do anything else with 3D?

ampere

Woah holy crap. That looks really cool, it'll be work to get the hang of it though. Like people said, that + mom's knife = win.

Glad you aren't being dismissive of it for that reason. In all fairness, what art style would you suggest they use? Going high res for the same style would just be higher cost without much good reason. It's an indie game scalable to multiple platforms, it makes sense to go with lower res and be stylistic.

Novocaine

I would have been totally okay with a variant on the original art style, if not the same. It's one of the things that made the game catch my eye in the first place. I don't mind the new art style though, just like the original more.

http://bindingofisaac.com/post/84188046989/meet-the-bony

Meet the Bony!

so this weeks enemy tease is actually the 1st enemy in isaac not designed by me.. its was designed by Matt, the lead artist. here is his design doc.
tumblr_inline_n4rtft6Upl1rq0wgw.jpg

i really loved the simplicity of its ai as well as its look, it fits perfectly into the isaac world, looks bold and is a bit of a challenge.. as you can see here.
BmfaPk0.gif

one on one in a large room they arent so bad.. but if you end up fighting more it might be a good idea to call in reinforcements! (if you have the option)
HJWmsi3.gif

next week i hope to start showing the near final look of the game, more effects, details, environmental stuff.. and maybe some larger rooms? who knows!?

Woah holy crap. That looks really cool, it'll be work to get the hang of it though. Like people said, that + mom's knife = win.

Glad you aren't being dismissive of it for that reason. In all fairness, what art style would you suggest they use? Going high res for the same style would just be higher cost without much good reason. It's an indie game scalable to multiple platforms, it makes sense to go with lower res and be stylistic.

Claymation.

Duxxy3

Whatever it takes to make the game run not like shit, I'll take it. I already use a SNES usb controller, so a 16bit version of the game is just the next logical leap.

CassSept

The second-to-last sentence, does that mean that there will be temporary familiars in the game? Notice that the familiar has it's own hp meter. Was any sort of this confirmed before? Maybe summonable via special item or a changed tarrot card? Or a pill?

Can't wait to play this game with actual controller support.

I don't want to fuck with some XPadder app every time I load up a game.

Akai__

I want this game soooooo bad. I can't wait to see Colbalt and all the other BOI players tear it to shreds

I hope the games, becomes a lot more difficult, because at this point, they are running through the game in under 15 minutes (best cases). While that is fun to watch, it's also fun to watch intense moments, when they are struggleing with the game. :p

Also, I really hope, that BOILeR's next season is with Rebirth. I learned a lot, while I was watching those races.

I knew whatever flashed in the item room in the gif was something new.
EXh4p0b.png

Is that a tampon? What the hell would that do..

Good catch. And yeah? WTF? o_O

zulux21

The second-to-last sentence, does that mean that there will be temporary familiars in the game? Notice that the familiar has it's own hp meter. Was any sort of this confirmed before? Maybe summonable via special item or a changed tarrot card? Or a pill?

it could also be related to the co op that the remaking is introducing... as we really don't know how the co op will work at this point.

CassSept

Good catch. And yeah? WTF? o_O

Well there was Mom's Pad in the original game so as gross as that is it isn't really out of place in this game...

Still, eugh.

Harlequin Baby remains the worst, don't google it

My most played Steam game is bound to become my most played Vita game.

Portable BoI... oh snap now I want a Vita :/

it could also be related to the co op that the remaking is introducing... as we really don't know how the co op will work at this point.

Good point.

Akai__

Well there was Mom's Pad in the original game so as gross as that is it isn't really out of place in this game...

Still, eugh.

Harlequin Baby remains the worst, don't google it

I forgot, how disturbing Binding of Isaac actually is, for a second. :lol

Already googled it, some months ago. -.-

I wouldn't be able to do the research behind those things, because I almost puked, when I read about the Harlequin Baby.

ampere

Claymation.

Fair suggestion. That'd probably cost a lot, but it would look awesome, like the advertisements which I assume are clay.

I think they'd run into trouble with the high permutations of shot combinations though, unless they used CG to manipulate the claymation recordings.

That last paragraph. I'm ready for next week.

Yeah, and "near final look of the game" sounds like the game is getting close to completion!! Hype. I've been playing a ton lately trying to get Dark Boy... so hard. Not sure how I got Momma's Boy

I forgot, how disturbing Binding of Isaac actually is, for a second. :lol

Yeah some of the items and enemies are twisted, man. I definitely the creepy setting when I get playing for awhile, it just becomes the norm.

http://bindingofisaac.com/post/84892772304/its-growing
ITS GROWING!
so something i wanted to do in isaac that we couldnt do mostly do to flash “sprites on sceen” limitations were large rooms and large mobs.
the 1st thing i talked to tyrone about when listing out my dream additions for rebirth was larger room sizes… and last week that became a reality.
Ns5O6Lu.gif

im still experimenting with what can be done with larger rooms.. but boy does it change things a bit. larger room types are of course more rare than small ones, the rarest being 4x4 rooms with larger mobs like this…
GSFojWd.gif

but they are by far the most fun, and dificult. its crazy what giving the player/enemies more room can do for the game.
can you imagine a double wide room where you fight 2 bosses at once… because i can.
we are also currently working on polish, if you look close at the gifs above you might notice a few new details, moving grass, pieces of paper, tiny animated mushrooms. as the weeks go by we hope to have the caves dripping wet with small streams of water, puddles you can walk through, dust falling from above and tons of other subtle details that will really make things pop.
ZXilXsQ.gif

we have even started experimenting with non-enemy creatures with basic ai that inhabit rebirth. you can see a few fruit flys and other bugs flying/crawling/dying around the room. im quite happy with how things are coming together.. what do you think?
i wanted to show some of the full screen effects today but the god rays were making the gifs over 20mb :) so i think next week i might have to move to full videos.
TILL NEXT WEEK!

Also...
Explosive Diarrhea

jblank83

Steam release wouldn't be held up by Sony, unless they're intent on simultaneous releases.

Also, I need this. Hurry up.

Steam release wouldn't be held up by Sony, unless they're intent on simultaneous releases.

Oh I wasn't implying that. Just that I hadn't checked back on the BoI blog for progress updates in a while and was under the impression that it was angling for an early Q2 release. I guess I didn't expect them to still be experimenting with additional stuff for the game in May, but whatever. I loved what little BoI I've played on PC and will gladly wait for whenever Rebirth is fit for consumption on PS4.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
This is going to be incredible. I hope this comes sooner rather than later, been itching to get back into BOI and I'm waiting for this to do it.

ampere

Larger rooms... mother of god.

Just when we thought the randomness was about to stop. When can we play this McMillen!?!

Top Bottom