• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watchmen Trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
dustytruly said:
i hate how short he is...

is he that short in the novel? i don't remember...

it really bugs me though... at the end of that video he's holding down that biker guy in the bar and the biker guy kneeling is already 3/4 Rorschach's height...

yes.. they specifically mention how short he is and how he has platforms in his shoes to try and seem a bit taller.

Saw these on the way home from work (San Francisco, CA). Cel-phone quality...but enjoy anyway :D

Montgomery BART station:
DSC00583.jpg

Powell BART station:
DSC00584.jpg

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Auron_Kale said:
Saw these on the way home from work (San Francisco, CA). Cel-phone quality...but enjoy anyway :D

Montgomery BART station:
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x129/jmalcala/DSC00583.jpg

Powell BART station:
[IMG]http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x129/jmalcala/DSC00584.jpg[][/QUOTE]

I saw them to man. there is also a display of watchmen books,tshirts and posters at virgin, the watchmen figures are available at the Toy store on market and plenty of buses have watchmen sidings...its getting pretty over whelming.

shagg_187 said:
Theatrical cut: Two hours and 35 minutes
Director's cut: Three hours and 10 minutes.
Director's cut w/ Tale of the Black Freighter - approximately 4 hours and 30 minutes (planned)
Holy crap at that directors cut w/ black freighter
Im excited to see that more than just the main movie

wenis said:
I saw them to man. there is also a display of watchmen books,tshirts and posters at virgin, the watchmen figures are available at the Toy store on market and plenty of buses have watchmen sidings...its getting pretty over whelming.

Yeah. I'm usually amazed at how fast SF can get marketing mobilized.

Like, during Mac World, I remember walking past the pillar-type ad boards (I usually see them in Financial District) during the morning on the way to the office and seeing some ad for Calvin Klein clothes and then when I walk past the same ad pillars on the way home, they already had the Mac Book family ad. :lol

Can't say the same thing though for the billboards on the side of buildings though - they have yet to take down the GTA IV ones... :p

Auron_Kale said:
Yeah. I'm usually amazed at how fast SF can get marketing mobilized.

Like, during Mac World, I remember walking past the pillar-type ad boards (I usually see them in Financial District) during the morning on the way to the office and seeing some ad for Calvin Klein clothes and then when I walk past the same ad pillars on the way home, they already had the Mac Book family ad. :lol

Can't say the same thing though for the billboards on the side of buildings though - they have yet to take down the GTA IV ones... :P
Yeah here in LA there's still a huge Resistance 2 building ad on Wilshire Blvd that's been there since the game came out.

dustytruly said:
i hate how short he is...

is he that short in the novel? i don't remember...

it really bugs me though... at the end of that video he's holding down that biker guy in the bar and the biker guy kneeling is already 3/4 Rorschach's height...
He's 5'6'' in the comics

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
my name is ed said:
He's 5'6'' in the comics
Yeah, it always bugged how they "cheat" his height in the comic. Elevator shoes don't magically make your limbs grow longer. It's much more difficult to get away with that kind of shit in live action.

Catalix said:
Yeah, it always bugged how they "cheat" his height in the comic. Elevator shoes don't magically make your limbs grow longer. It's much more difficult to get away with that kind of shit in live action.

I don't know if thats Gibbons style or satire on superhero comics, but all the superheroes pretty much fit the perfect short torso-long legs stereotype.

Catalix said:
Yeah, Haley looks like a goddam little kid in the movie. :lol

...but that's okay, at least they're keeping him true to what the comic says.

Solo

shagg_187 said:
Theatrical cut: Two hours and 35 minutes
Director's cut: Three hours and 10 minutes.
Director's cut w/ Tale of the Black Freighter - approximately 4 hours and 30 minutes (planned)

Are they including a pillow with this package? That cut is going to make Seven Samurai look like a breezy 120 minute film.

Solo said:
Are they including a pillow with this package? That cut is going to make Seven Samurai look like a breezy 120 minute film.

They should bookend this cut with the 5 minutes of black screen and the Lawrence of Arabia theme.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
So, they showed 18 minutes of the beginning of the movie at NYCC... and the scene where Rorschach douses an inmate with oil. That was pretty cool.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
fallengorn said:
So, they showed 18 minutes of the beginning of the movie at NYCC... and the scene where Rorschach douses an inmate with oil. That was pretty cool.
Aw nice. How did the first 18 minutes play out? What scene did they go up to?

Catalix

Well, I guess this settles it...

After the footage was shown there was a bit of Q&A with Watchmen illustrator Dave Gibbons, who introduced the clip to the New York crowd. There were no big revelations in his answers with the exception of a very definitive answer to the one question everyone knew would be the first asked — “
no squid.
”

Gibbons assured fans that the choice to omit the
cephalopod
made sense as it would just be one more special effect in a film crowded with them, and that even though the new ending has a different “MacGuffin” it remains 100% true to the themes of the original story. He also explained that although there may be some changes to the story that makes it on screen from what appears in the graphic novel, lots of the details are still present.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Talked with an action figure dealer here in SF today. apparently there are 6 shops that are given exclusive posters (1 set of hero posters for each individual store) and on the 13th the WB is going to text people the locations of each store so they can get each poster and complete the collection. There is only 100 per store though and im not to sure on how to get on that list. so 6 stores 1 hero each....thats a lot of running around.

Busty

Banned
shagg_187 said:
If your question is concerning the ending then yes, it's
Dr. Manhattan being setup.

I thought it was being set up as a fake
alien invasion
? Though in saying that, they could tie that in with your theory....

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Catalix said:
Aw nice. How did the first 18 minutes play out? What scene did they go up to?
Actually, I found Rorschach narration distracting while I was watching it. There's really no break in it until he discovers the Comedian costume. I guess this is what happens when you try to cram in as much as possible.

dmshaposv

So does Rorshach suffer from the baleman syndrome too? I'd hope Jackie Earl Haley's voice would've been less grating in the film.

fallengorn said:
Actually, I found Rorschach narration distracting while I was watching it. There's really no break in it until he discovers the Comedian costume. I guess this is what happens when you try to cram in as much as possible.
I can see it now, people will be bitching about his voice like they did about Batman's voice in The Dark Knight.

polyh3dron said:
I can see it now, people will be bitching about his voice like they did about Batman's voice in The Dark Knight.

Bitching? It was a valid complaint. Bale's voice ruins every dialogue scene he has as Batman, especially the end monologue (which was cheesy enough on paper)

megateto

Auron_Kale said:

Montgomery BART station:
DSC00583.jpg

Powell BART station:
DSC00584.jpg

Local cinema over at Oviedo, north of Spain was stuffed with Watchmen promo material.

Just bought these from local bookstore:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1848560680/?tag=neogaf0e-20
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1848560672/?tag=neogaf0e-20
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1848560699/?tag=neogaf0e-20

AMAZING! Can't wait to take some pics when I get home! :D :D :D

In terms of spoilers, here's how it goes:

Buy Watchmen: Portrait if you have NO CLUE about Watchmen. It is spoiler free.
Buy Watchmen: The Official Film Companion if you have read watchmen but want to avoid most of the tidbits from the movie (it does reveal the new ending in text)
Buy Watchmen: The Art of the Film if you think you know the ins and outs of Watchmen entirely (including the new ending).

My favorite is Art of the Film (MUST BUY for the fan) for it includes art by Dave Gibbon made specifically for the film, including his rendition of the NEW ending! It's fucking awesome!!

Busty said:
I thought it was being set up as a fake
alien invasion
? Though in saying that, they could tie that in with your theory....

I can confirm that the
Rumors about the ending is true. It has changed. No squid. No alien invasion. Manhattan blowing shit up all over the world. From the art, it makes sense.

There are Watchmen posters all over LA now all of a sudden.. WB also FINALLY put a huge one up outside their lot. One I saw at a bus stop had just the Comedian in it, it was pretty cool.

Just thought I'd ask, is anyone going to the San Francisco Apple Store event on the 17th?

I'll be heading down there after work and was curious.

I'm debating if I want to bring either my copy of Absolute Watchmen or Watching the Watchmen, which is more directly related to Dave Gibbons...

Blader

^Why the fuck did they change
35 minutes ago line
to
? I hope they keep it the same for the movie, because that's one change that makes absolutely no sense to me.

Can anyone remind me EXACTLY why Snyder ditched
the squid?
I guess this will do, and it could appropriately fill in a foreign threat if Manhattan escapes to another galaxy before he can be caught.

ChoklitReign said:
Can anyone remind me EXACTLY why Snyder ditched
the squid?
I guess this will do, and it could appropriately fill in a foreign threat if Manhattan escapes to another galaxy before he can be caught.

It was deemed too stupid (yet too smart) for the general movie audience. Plus, it will require an entire backstory on how
the squid
emerges
i.e. the writer's story, painting, boat being blown up.
It would take up ALOT of excessive time and will distract the user from the core story.

Also, the message is still there, the scenario has been changed (as you can see).

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Blader5489 said:
35 minutes ago line
to
? I hope they keep it the same for the movie, because that's one change that makes absolutely no sense to me.
Because (ending spoilarZ!)
35 minutes ago he released the squid, but then no one lived enough to tell because of the nuclear explosions five minutes later

Blader5489 said:
35 minutes ago line
to

I think the
35 minutes ago line is still in. The panel looks small so maybe the words "thirty-five" felt out of place compared to simplified "thirty"

Or maybe it's just me :p Nevertheless,
5 minutes
doesn't make a big difference :/

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Blader5489 said:
35 minutes ago line
to

why does it matter?

"Triggered?!?" "Triggered?!"

Why the fuck would you change the most memorable line from the entire fucking comic? I know I'm nerd raging about this, but that is just completely needless. Fuck this movie.

Truant

Gibbons probably just drew that from memory.

A lot of the dialogue was changed by Snyder to be more like the novel after he re-wrote the script himself. For example, none of Rorschachs journals were in the original script, but Snyder put them back in.

He even says 'abbatoir of retarded children' in the movie.

Wrath2X said:
Wait did they change the ending in the novel,or is that some limited edition comic or something?

It's from the new book: "Watchmen: The Art of the Film". Did you read the tidbit in the second pic? :p

Artist Dave Gibbons and original Watchmen colorist John Higgins gives us a taste of what the graphic novel's climax might have looked like if Adrian Veidt had followed the film's script. These new "pages" were drawn at Zack Snyder's request during pre-production to ensure that the film's re-imagined ending nevertheless drew from an authentic source. Just as he did for the original series, Gibbons drew thumbnails sketches for each page before moving on to full-size art.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
SpeedingUptoStop said:
so wait, it's just
pyramids exploding?
I don't follow.

looks like he took out a shitload of stuff. I don't like that either to be honest.. part of Veidt's plan was to kill off a few million people to save the world. This looks like he killed 10's of millions of people if not more

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom