• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watchmen Trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.
shagg_187 said:
It's from the new book: "Watchmen: The Art of the Film". Did you read the tidbit in the second pic? :p

Artist Dave Gibbons and original Watchmen colorist John Higgins gives us a taste of what the graphic novel's climax might have looked like if Adrian Veidt had followed the film's script. These new "pages" were drawn at Zack Snyder's request during pre-production to ensure that the film's re-imagined ending nevertheless drew from an authentic source. Just as he did for the original series, Gibbons drew thumbnails sketches for each page before moving on to full-size art.

What a strange, strange man.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
StoOgE said:
looks like he took out a shitload of stuff. I don't like that either to be honest.. part of Veidt's plan was to kill off a few million people to save the world. This looks like he killed 10's of millions of people if not more

the quote shagg_187 pointed out makes it sound like that might not be the exact ending.

"Artist Dave Gibbons and original Watchmen colorist John Higgins gives us a taste of what the graphic novel's climax might have looked like if
Adrian Veidt
had followed the film's script. "

so confused now....

From people who saw an early version of the film last year they said that
although Manhattan is used by Veidt to simulate explosions around the world, Manhahttan himself is not under suspicion.

Again, I don't see how Manhattan being framed maintains the theme of the ending from the comic. Veidt's idea is that an external force is what unites the world, why would the world unite when a superhuman who the US has been harbouring, and indeed using for their own conflicts, decides to go postal around the world?

If that is the ending then the movie might be 2 hours of "woah" and then 30 minutes of "huh?". Although I'm hoping that is not the case.

Particle Physicist

sionyboy said:
From people who saw an early version of the film last year they said that
although Manhattan is used by Veidt to simulate explosions around the world, Manhahttan himself is not under suspicion.

Again, I don't see how Manhattan being framed maintains the theme of the ending from the comic. Veidt's idea is that an external force is what unites the world, why would the world unite when a superhuman who the US has been harbouring, and indeed using for their own conflicts, decides to go postal around the world?

If that is the ending then the movie might be 2 hours of "woah" and then 30 minutes of "huh?". Although I'm hoping that is not the case.

well.. technically.. didnt veidt also use manhattan in the comic book.. at least to develop the technology needed for teleportation? i seem to remember something like that.. so maybe the movie is along those lines.. and instead of a squid, its an unknown entity that attacked with bombs? i.e. still an alien attack? would be easier to explain in the context of the movie, and would still work..

quadriplegicjon said:
the quote shagg_187 pointed out makes it sound like that might not be the exact ending.

so confused now....

What the quote is trying to say is that If Watchmen: The Graphic Novel followed Watchmen: The Movie's ending, this is what it would look like in Watchmen: The Graphic Novel.

:p

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
Big Icarus said:
"Triggered?!?" "Triggered?!"

Why the fuck would you change the most memorable line from the entire fucking comic? I know I'm nerd raging about this, but that is just completely needless. Fuck this movie.
Wow, a slight overreaction? You're not gonna watch it because they changed one word?

In other news, I've discovered the movie's actually airing here before the US (well, a day earlier). That's a nice first.

KimiSan said:
Wow, a slight overreaction? You're not gonna watch it because they changed one word?

In other news, I've discovered the movie's actually airing here before the US (well, a day earlier). That's a nice first.

Are you in Aus? I also noticed that - so it's more like 2 days given the time difference. Also, it's not a first - we got the same treatment for The Dark Knight. :D

It's WB continually making up for releasing Speed Racer months later over here.

shagg_187 said:
What the quote is trying to say is that If Watchmen: The Graphic Novel followed Watchmen: The Movie's ending, this is what it would look like in Watchmen: The Graphic Novel.

:p

I think at this point people are trying to find any semantic way for the ending to not end up sucking as tremendously hard as it is so painfully obviously going to.

Busty

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:
I think at this point people are trying to find any semantic way for the ending to not end up sucking as tremendously hard as it is so painfully obviously going to.

At the end of the day, the
psychic alien squid
would never have worked on screen.

So really, if the new ending sucks, it sucks. But there's no point in comparing it to the ending in the graphic novel.

But in saying that, it would be interesting to see if any of the drafts from the previous 'aborted' attempts to make the fim have the original ending. And if so, how they handled it.

Busty said:
But in saying that, it would be interesting to see if any of the drafts from the previous 'aborted' attempts to make the fim have the original ending. And if so, how they handled it.

There's an interview with David Hayter somewhere in which he talks about changing the ending in response to 9-11, so I think the idea of dropping the
squid
has been around for a while. I think that there's also an implication in that interview that Hayter had talked to Alan Moore about changing the ending and that Moore hadn't been opposed to it.

Busty

Banned
Dr Zhivago said:
There's an interview with David Hayter somewhere in which he talks about changing the ending in response to 9-11, so I think the idea of dropping the
squid
has been around for a while. I think that there's also an implication in that interview that Hayter had talked to Alan Moore about changing the ending and that Moore hadn't been opposed to it.

Interesting. I've made a point of not reading Hayter yet draft because I don't want the film spoiled even though I have read the graphic novel.... if that make sense.

Has anyone else here read the original Hayter script that's kicking?

Truant

Busty said:
Interesting. I've made a point of not reading Hayter yet draft because I don't want the film spoiled even though I have read the graphic novel.... if that make sense.

Has anyone else here read the original Hayter script that's kicking?

I read it.

Awful. Rorschach is different, more honorable, the dialogue is way different than the novel, and all kinds of strange things happen that makes it too different for my tastes

Brakara

Truant said:
I read it.

Awful. Rorschach is different, more honorable, the dialogue is way different than the novel, and all kinds of strange things happen that makes it too different for my tastes

My sentiments exactly. I shudder to think how awful this movie could've been. And if you think the ending in this movie will be bad, the ending in Hayter's script is mind-numbingly stupid.

Busty

Banned
Truant said:

Brakara said:
My sentiments exactly. I shudder to think how awful this movie could've been. And if you think the ending in this movie will be bad, the ending in Hayter's script is mind-numbingly stupid.

And with that, I now have to read this script. :D Hopefully Snyder and Alex Tse (sp?) have totally retooled Hayter's script. And going by what we've seen thus far that looks to be the case.

Stranglely I do have a fascination with adapted scripts that seem to completely miss the point of the material they are supposed to be based on.

DKehoe

Brakara said:

What was Hayter's ending?

dmshaposv

I have a feeling they really fucked up the ending. No one seems to be addressing the issue clearly.

Lets all keep very low expectations for the ending, and (hopefully) the actual result will be better.

I love Watchmen, I've read it literally dozens of times (not counting pouring over it just to look at the details) and I've never understood why people like the original ending. It would never work, it's got details crowbarred into it to make it even have the slightest veracity-- it's the weak point of the story. I actually like the idea of the new ending, assuming they set it up properly.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
ChoklitReign said:
The fourth TV spot completely spoils the ending.
HAY GUIZE I GEUSS DR MANHATTAN BLOWS UP NEW YORK LOLZ
It's just
a blue explosion out of context. You can't tell it without already knowing the ending, it could be just Manhattan blowing up something or someone.

Ignatz Mouse said:
I love Watchmen, I've read it literally dozens of times (not counting pouring over it just to look at the details) and I've never understood why people like the original ending. It would never work, it's got details crowbarred into it to make it even have the slightest veracity-- it's the weak point of the story. I actually like the idea of the new ending, assuming they set it up properly.

Well, I mean, this is a story with radioactive dudes teleporting to Mars and shit, but I see what you're saying. My affinity towards it lies almost 100% in its execution. It's one of the most remarkable sequences in comics.

Blader

BenjaminBirdie said:
Well, I mean, this is a story with radioactive dudes teleporting to Mars and shit, but I see what you're saying. My affinity towards it lies almost 100% in its execution. It's one of the most remarkable sequences in comics.

But that's the exception (and a purposeful one at that), not the rule.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but one of Watchmen's greatest strengths in deconstructing superheroes is that most of it is grounded in reality (Manhattan isn't, but that's the point of his character).

Busty

Banned
Ending be damned! This film is offically all sorts of awesome.... they have kept in one of my favourite bits!!!!!

That scene featured Rorschach in prison.... more specifically, on the lunch line at prison. Fans know where this is going...

Yes, Rorschach has been arrested and jailed, and is waiting to get his lunch on the line. There's a ton of criminals around him who are giving him shit for being who he is.

It's amusing to note how small he looks on screen, but when the guy next to him pulls a shiv on him and Rorschach just demolishes him thanks to the one-two combo of a a tray table and then fryer grease, it's completely believable. The guards immediately grab him and start to carry him away, and his raspy line of "None of you understand. I'm not locked up in here with you," turns into a monstrous bellow at "YOU'RE LOCKED UP IN HERE WITH ME!"

http://chud.com/articles/articles/18093/1/NYCC-ALEX-WATCHES-THE-WATCHMEN/Page1.html

Bring. It. The. Fuck. On.

EDIT - Spoilered.... just in case.

Ignatz Mouse said:
I love Watchmen, I've read it literally dozens of times (not counting pouring over it just to look at the details) and I've never understood why people like the original ending. It would never work, it's got details crowbarred into it to make it even have the slightest veracity-- it's the weak point of the story.

Completely agree. It seems that some people are so concerned with trying to maintain the 'purity' of the adaptation that they would rather see a poor film that follows the graphic novel ridgedly than something that actually works on it's own.

Busty said:
Completely agree. It seems that some people are so concerned with trying to maintain the 'purity' of the adaptation that they would rather see a poor film that follows the graphic novel ridgedly than something that actually works on it's on.

It got like ten pages in a 32 page book. It's incredibly important to the tone of the work, no matter what the medium is. Who knows, he might still have a three minute sequence that just surveys the wreckage. Honestly, that would completely make up for changing it, if that's what happens. To me, it was never about "The Squid", it was about those shots of the aftermath. If he still lingers on any fallout for a really long time, in silence, no matter what the cause, then cool beans. Or rather, lukewarm beans. Like Rorschach likes!

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
What was Hayter's ending?

EDIT: Nvm! That's the original script :lol

Hayter's script is almost the same as it is right now. The differences were:

1. It was set in present-time instead of 1985 (if im correct)
Nite Owl kills Ozy after a corny confontration

Particle Physicist

shagg_187 said:
EDIT: Nvm! That's the original script :lol

Hayter's script is almost the same as it is right now. The differences were:

1. It was set in present-time instead of 1985 (if im correct)

how the hell would that work? :lol

Blader

a Master Ninja said:
I'm surprised these commercials are showing the ending, but I guess they want to dazzle the eye with the more elaborate visual effects.

I don't think it's a big deal. The people who haven't read Watchmen won't know that's the ending, and the people who have read Watchmen already know what the ending is.

a Master Ninja said:
I'm surprised these commercials are showing the ending, but I guess they want to dazzle the eye with the more elaborate visual effects.

Another thing I'm surprsied at in the trailers is how much
they are really portraying Ozy as a sinister character. Throughout the comic Ozy was always portrayed one of those 'butter wouldn't melt in his mouth' sort of chaps, but he seems to doom and gloom through every trailer I've seen.

I think part of the enjoyment of the comic on the first read through is following Rorschach's investigation into who is behind it all, along with all the twists and turns that it entails, but it looks like they are pretty much going to serve it up on a plate on this one.

hurm...

Blader

sionyboy said:
Another thing I'm surprsied at in the trailers is how much
they are really portraying Ozy as a sinister character. Throughout the comic Ozy was always portrayed one of those 'butter wouldn't melt in his mouth' sort of chaps, but he seems to doom and gloom through every trailer I've seen.

I think part of the enjoyment of the comic on the first read through is following Rorschach's investigation into who is behind it all, along with all the twists and turns that it entails, but it looks like they are pretty much going to serve it up on a plate on this one.

hurm...

Maybe it's just me, but reading Watchmen, I always thought it was pretty obvious that
Ozy was the "bad guy."

Blader5489 said:
Maybe it's just me, but reading Watchmen, I always thought it was pretty obvious that
Ozy was the "bad guy."

I never felt that way,
it does get to a point where the only character who it could be is Ozy, but the 'assassination attempt' really throws you a curve ball and takes suspicion away from him for quite some time.

Ozymandias has clearly crafted himself a public persona which I think permeates many of the chapters in the book. The jovial interviews, his charity appearances, that positive 'can do' attitude, the 'hero you can look up to', its all there to take suspicion away from him. You can't imagine that 'that' man could be responsible for brutally killing The Comedian. Yet every trailer or piece of promotional material I see has him in portrays him as a right moody, depressive, sinister bastard who you can't help but think "Yeah, he did it. And he killed those meddling kids too".

I suppose the real twist is the scope of his plot, rather than the man behind it. But at the moment I'm not really connecting with the character that I know from the comic.

suaveric

sionyboy said:
I never felt that way,
it does get to a point where the only character who it could be is Ozy, but the 'assassination attempt' really throws you a curve ball and takes suspicion away from him for quite some time.

Ozymandias has clearly crafted himself a public persona which I think permeates many of the chapters in the book. The jovial interviews, his charity appearances, that positive 'can do' attitude, the 'hero you can look up to', its all there to take suspicion away from him. You can't imagine that 'that' man could be responsible for brutally killing The Comedian. Yet every trailer or piece of promotional material I see has him in portrays him as a right moody, depressive, sinister bastard who you can't help but think "Yeah, he did it. And he killed those meddling kids too".

I suppose the real twist is the scope of his plot, rather than the man behind it. But at the moment I'm not really connecting with the character that I know from the comic.

My friend at work who has not read the book asked me if the guy
petting the big cat
in the trailers/commercials was the villain. That scene does have the whole
Dr. Evil
thing going on, it's too bad they've tipped their hand like that.

For the record, I lied to my buddy so that he might be surprised when he sees the film.

Busty said:
At the end of the day, the
psychic alien squid
would never have worked on screen.

That's obvious. But there's no reason the changes to the ending had to be so drastic. You switch a
psychic alien squid
for a
UFO crash landing, the machinery breaks and causes the psychic explosion, or maybe it comes from the dead aliens inside. The squid is a macguffin for sure, but they've done more than change the macguffin. They've completely switched the threat that the squid represents
. It's just retarded.

sionyboy said:
I never felt that way,

This 1000 times over.
They may as well play sinister music every time the guy shows up on screen. They really needed to portray him almost like Harvey Dent gets portrayed in TDK and it looks like that's not happening. He may as well have a mustache to twirl.

nidopal

My friend at work who has not read the book asked me if the guy petting the big cat in the trailers/commercials was the villain. That scene does have the whole Dr. Evil thing going on, it's too bad they've tipped their hand like that.

Which trailer/commercial was this in? I've seen all the footage released so far but have yet to see that.

Tr4nce

aznpxdd said:
How does the motion comic compare to the original?

Well animation wise the motion comic does a great job if you ask me. Some panels I could better understand because of the animation. You have to see through the voices though, they are mostly done by one man. And the motion comic doesn't have all of the extra stuff the graphic novel has like diary segments, psychiatric reports and stuff like that.

Code_Link

suaveric said:
Was it a poster? I remember seeing the image somewhere.

You mean this one:

ozymandias_poster.jpg

polyh3dron said:
This 1000 times over.
They may as well play sinister music every time the guy shows up on screen. They really needed to portray him almost like Harvey Dent gets portrayed in TDK and it looks like that's not happening. He may as well have a mustache to twirl.

Yeah,
Alot of people were shocked when they saw Two-face in TDK. Not alot of people know the backstory so they were surprised.

That said, I am not letting my friends see the newer trailers to watchmen. The smashing pumpkin trailer is the best of the bunch and I'm keeping it that way since that was the trailer that made me read the book and it practically gave out NOTHING about the story.

sionyboy said:
I never felt that way,

I read Watchmen as it came out, and chapter 5 is the one where I figured it out. WIth a month between issues there was a lot of time. Two things:

1) It was the symmetrical issue, and he's at the center
2) I had just realized (from advance previews or interviews or whatever) that the series itself was symmetrical, alternating plot with character-- and that made Ozy the last one.
3) After picking up on those clues I reread the first five chapters again (a few times, no doubt) and caught that his responses in the Crimebusters meeting and when Rorschach talks to him in Chapter One were open to interpretation.

Cool stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom