• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 14 Online announced. PS3/PC Exclusive. 2010! Art Director Yoshida!

Xux

This games sounds like it'll be pretty interesting.

Reading about it just makes me want to go back to FFXI. :/ Even worse now that it seems like they've fixed every problem I had with that game.

No levels sounds interesting as does the freedom of growth while still contained in a job system. Sure hope I get into the beta if I can.

Awntawn

Teknoman said:
How so? FFXI was/is still pretty sucessful...and its not like it's only on consoles anyway.

Also:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8W1kkBZ3OIM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igxzSuvWzSE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7AFCztSMno

Ask Pancakesandsex about his solo battles in vanadiel with Fields of Valor :lol
You have the one with the appearance of the Crystal Warriors? That was the best cutscene in the game imo ;D Oh yeah, what's the name of that song that you had playing in the Shadowlord fight? They play it in Dynamis Xarc too ;o

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
jiggle said:
no way it'll be free to play
XI was such a cash cow for SE
don't see why they'd let this go unmilked
especially when they said they don't plan to introduce purchase-able items (i doubt they could resist in the future)
They finally introduced (thinly-veiled) purchasable items in FFXI in the last couple months. Two items... ten bucks each.
Awntawn said:
You have the one with the appearance of the Crystal Warriors? That was the best cutscene in the game imo ;D Oh yeah, what's the name of that song that you had playing in the Shadowlord fight? They play it in Dynamis Xarc too ;o
Naw, the best is the cutscene after the Alexander fight in the ToAU storyline.

Teknoman

Awntawn said:

Thats the actual Shadowlord battle theme, just used the music only since I had to cut the video down. Didnt want the soundtrack to skip around.

Oh and we havent made it to the Crystal Warrior yet.

madara

Free? :lol No if they want the game to function at all having 90 percent of population be 14 year old boys is not good idea. The wording makes the game sound radically different. Steampunk would be cool but the typical scifi fantasy mecha blend they have for everything now is fairly blah for me especially if its more realistic then iconic. Strong story elements is the best thing I am reading. Jump, falling, swimming, z-axis, no invisible barriers all over is a must If am going take japanese development in this genre seriously anymore. EQ did it in 1998 and made the world magical.

I'm going to most likely buy this at least a few months into when its released.

I enjoyed FFXI, and after investing a lot of time into it, I can't wait for a newer version..

EDIT: Thanks for the trailer its awesome.

Yazus

I dont know, I'm feeling pretty hyped for this title. I think I'm going to play this if reviews/gaf thinks its good.

Quazar

duckroll said:
I think Gamescon might have a larger showing for FFXIV than TGS does even. TGS will almost certainly be focused on pushing S-E's upcoming JP games.

That's what I'm thinking as well. It seems gamescon is too good of an opportunity too pass up for PR team. They will most likely show what they show at gamescon at TGS as well. Or even wait for a later event in Japan this year.(with more details)

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
duckroll said:
I think Gamescon might have a larger showing for FFXIV than TGS does even. TGS will almost certainly be focused on pushing S-E's upcoming JP games.

I think so too, especially considering it's a worldwide simultaneous release.

i'm semi interested in this... not sure which system i'll get it on.. i'm thinking PC but we'll see.. Are there any in game screens or movies of this going around.. i haven't seen any yet

Teknoman

brandonh83 said:
Be sure to drink your Ovaltine?

SON OF A BITCH

RALPHIE.jpg

edwardslane said:
i'm semi interested in this... not sure which system i'll get it on.. i'm thinking PC but we'll see.. Are there any in game screens or movies of this going around.. i haven't seen any yet

Watch the trailer again. See the part with the sea serpent flying over the boat? The whole boat scene is ingame graphics. Actually it starts when the "galka" busts one of those aquatic monsters with his axe.

Kyoufu

Kagari said:
I think so too, especially considering it's a worldwide simultaneous release.

Nah...I'm banking on TGS being the event for FFXIV. The FFXIV player-base is primarily located in Japan after all...

Munba

New scans are out! :) So far,

Races:
Hyuran (human)
Lalafell (taru)
Roegadyn (galka)

Classes:
Sorcerer
Fighter

Need someone translates the rest : D

Munba

Zanasea

Haven't seen any English names for the "new" Elvaans and Mithras, but a tentative romanization would be Elzen and Mikott.

Fighter and Sorcerers don't like like classes to me, but rather groups of classes. Apparently, within the Fighter group, you have swordsmen and archers.

Jonnyram

Wow, the new designs look like FFXI HD or something. I am quite surprised (in a disappointing way). I thought they would have put a bit more effort into coming up with something fresh.

Edit: hold on, can't make it out totally because of the blur, but it seems that your class is decided by the weapon you have equipped.
Edit 2: this includes crafters. Equip a crafting tool, and you turn into a crafter.

Xux said:
This games sounds like it'll be pretty interesting.

Reading about it just makes me want to go back to FFXI. :/ Even worse now that it seems like they've fixed every problem I had with that game.

No levels sounds interesting as does the freedom of growth while still contained in a job system. Sure hope I get into the beta if I can.

They just added the problem of banning random people at random times.

Rengoku

Munba said:

Races:
Hyuran (human)
Lalafell (taru)
Roegadyn (galka)

Classes:
Sorcerer
Fighter

Munba

Hmm... I'm not really liking the design of the Tarus..

Oh shit, do I see a new race? The dude with the horns and axe o_O
Edit: Nvm, they might just be feathers, lol

Cedille

The new scans are terrific, but the more info is revealed the more I have to worry if this is just a replacement of FFXI. Hopefully one (or two!) new races will be there.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Munba said:

Races:
Hyuran (human)
Lalafell (taru)
Roegadyn (galka)

Classes:
Sorcerer
Fighter

Munba

Saw some low quality ones.
There's customization and crafting mentioned in them as well.
Looks like the models they're showing are in-game too, I think.

Zanasea

There are four categories of jobs right now: fighter, sorcerer, crafter and gatherer. Two jobs have been unveiled for each.

Fighter: swordsman, archer
Sorcerer: enchanter, warlock
Crafter: blacksmith, cook
Gatherer: gardener, fisherman

eggandI

Banned
Zanasea said:
There are four categories of jobs right now: fighter, sorcerer, crafter and gatherer. Two jobs have been unveiled for each.

Awesome, thanks for the translation. Does it say anything else about the game? combat system?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Zanasea said:

Using FFXI as precedence, gathering will not end well.

Cedille

Kagari said:
Saw some low quality ones.
There's customization and crafting mentioned in them as well.
Looks like the models they're showing are in-game too, I think.

Yeah, the magazine says it's almost the same as the in game models. Very high quality.

It also says there isn't much difference between races (which is the case with XI, except for HP/MP).

LaneDS

The Taru equivalents are terrifying. Beyond that I like the designs of everything quite a bit. Definitely feels like a Yoshida product from what's on display.

Moobabe

Kintaro said:
Using FFXI as precedence, gathering will not end well.

I hope that's one lesson they've learned from FFXI. I'm SO pumped for this though, I might go into this blind on day one, I was such a sucker for FFXI :D

Top Bottom