• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XIII | The Official Import Thread

RevenantKioku said:
Eh, exact opposite happened to me, so I wouldn't rule that as the case for everyone.
I mean, I didn't even know Vanille's name wasn't Nom-chan.

Yeah my knowledge before this consisted of playing the demo, nom-chan meme, shiva's form in the game, and big monsters.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Goddamn that boss in Chapter 11 (
the fal'Cie at the top of Taejin's Tower
) just took me like an hour to beat. The fucker had 2.5 million HP and I kept getting him down to around 400k - 100k before some random combination of attacks would obliterate my party. I finally just said fuck and tried a balls to the wall strategy of using buffs and debuffs (haste / deprotect, weaken, etc...) and just going all out with attacks. When I needed to heal really bad I would just use the full cure TP. I'm sure I got lucky partially but I was able to take him out in like 2 minutes and 40 seconds or so when all previous attempts were taking like 4 - 8 minutes before I would die.

That was definitely the hardest encounter I have had yet.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
BudokaiMR2 said:
It is a good trend I have noticed in gaming recently. I especially never thought I would see something like it in an action game, but Bayonetta knows what is up too.
And I think that makes FF13 "harder" in a sense. I'm more likely to take risks in battle because of the Restart system. They may pay off, they may fail flat terribly but no massive amount of progress is lost. It's really gratifying instead of making me want to quit if I lose the same fight five times over.

Styles

Ploid 3.0 said:
About the 10hr quit from the Japanese. Isn't the one of the reasons people said the Japanese like the streamlined linear games is because they don't have time to explore and run around non linear worlds?

About playing without understanding the language in the cutscenes. I think the body language, tone of voice, and facial expressions tell a great story in itself. You can kinda read what they are saying. Heck I got all misty eyed at parts (can't wait until all the people start talking about it somewhere). Epic stuff even without understanding the language.

Yeah, especially the eyes, for me anyway. They're the best I've ever seen, especially Lightning's and Snow's. Really expresses what they fell at that particular moment.

RevenantKioku said:
And I think that makes FF13 "harder" in a sense. I'm more likely to take risks in battle because of the Restart system. They may pay off, they may fail flat terribly but no massive amount of progress is lost. It's really gratifying instead of making me want to quit if I lose the same fight five times over.

Yeah it definitely encourages more BALLS TO THE WALL action, which is what the battle system is all about.

The way it frees you up to go on an all out onslaught is so awesome. I mean sure you could probably beat the entire game using blaster/defender/healer without changing Optimas. But it would be boring as all hell. And if the game weren't so forgiving then some people probably would.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Nemesis556 said:
FUCK THIS GAME IS AMAZING FUCK YES ALL OVER MY TITS
This poster is a correct poster.
BudokaiMR2 said:
Yeah it definitely encourages more BALLS TO THE WALL action, which is what the battle system is all about.

The way it frees you up to go on an all out onslaught is so awesome. I mean sure you could probably beat the entire game using blaster/defender/healer without changing Optimas. But it would be boring as all hell. And if the game weren't so forgiving then some people probably would.
That's how I worked most of Ch. 7's boss, but even then I kept switching to ATK/BLA/BLA to put in more damage when the time was good. Figuring out when that time was good was the fun part. Most of the time my ATK/DEF/HEL was in the yellow.

Diablos said:
Yeah but just wait until you hear it in English and realize how corny it all is :lol

yeah the localization is going to make or break this. Basically if they translate most of it even close to the real meaning it is going to be horrible.

Diablos

BudokaiMR2 said:
yeah the localization is going to make or break this. Basically if they translate most of it even close to the real meaning it is going to be horrible.
Well... if the trailers are an indication... :lol

Styles

Diablos said:
Yeah but just wait until you hear it in English and realize how corny it all is :lol

That I would agree with. -_- Plus I would also bet on a very bad delivery from the VAs. Damnit! Let me be wrong.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
Chapter 10 boss advice?

The fight with Cid is like UGH once he transforms and goes into his second form and can start juggling you to near death. :lol I've gotten him down to 20% health before he targets Lightning and juggles her to death before Vanille's Cures can reach me in the air.:lol

I'm running with a team of Lightning/Sazh/Vanille, my Optima is:

Attacker/Blaster/Blaster
Blaster/Healer/Blaster
Healer/Healer/Enhancer

I'm wondering whether or not to swap Sazh out right now because even though his enhancements are hella useful they don't seem to be doing a whole lot of good in this fight. I might just put in Fang or Snow and have them as a Defender when I need to heal up

Yeah honestly I tried for a while and couldn't do it without using a Defender. That's probably your best bet.

And again if you aren't upgrading weapons you probably should. It really does make things a bit easier. I was an idiot for waiting as long as I did.

Desi

Zefah said:
) just took me like an hour to beat. The fucker had 2.5 million HP and I kept getting him down to around 400k - 100k before some random combination of attacks would obliterate my party. I finally just said fuck and tried a balls to the wall strategy of using buffs and debuffs (haste / deprotect, weaken, etc...) and just going all out with attacks. When I needed to heal really bad I would just use the full cure TP. I'm sure I got lucky partially but I was able to take him out in like 2 minutes and 40 seconds or so when all previous attempts were taking like 4 - 8 minutes before I would die.

I really like how since FFX they actually started making debuffs and buffs really make a difference. If you weren't using buffs in XI or XII you were an idiot.

duckroll

Oichi said:
Chapter 10 boss advice?

The fight with Cid is like UGH once he transforms and goes into his second form and can start juggling you to near death. :lol I've gotten him down to 20% health before he targets Lightning and juggles her to death before Vanille's Cures can reach me in the air.:lol

Attacker/Blaster/Blaster
Blaster/Healer/Blaster
Healer/Healer/Enhancer

I'm wondering whether or not to swap Sazh out right now because even though his enhancements are hella useful they don't seem to be doing a whole lot of good in this fight. I might just put in Fang or Snow and have them as a Defender when I need to heal up

Here's how I did it:

I used Lightning/Sazh/Hope. I started the fight with Attacker/Enhancer/Enhancer giving me protective buffs from Hope, while Sazh gave me Haste and a SHITLOAD of attack buffs. Then I would switch to Blaster/Blaster/Blaster to break him by the time he transforms to his winged form. With the chain stabilized with Lightning's initial attacks, 3 Blasters should not be a problem, especially with Haste on everyone.

Once he's broken I go back to Attacker/Blaster/Blaster OR Attacker/Blaster/Healer. This is important because you want your entire party's HP to be maxed out at any given time especially when he's not attacking, which is a good chance. I juggled him still he had like 30% HP left, and just kept alternating between Attacker/Blaster/Healer and Blaster/Blaster/Blaster.

He died before I could break him again though. I used Full Cure just in case when it was looking REALLY dangerous at one point, that might have changed everything at the final moments, not sure. I might also have swapped back to Attacker/Enhancer/Enhancer once to regain a bunch of buffs, especially Haste and the protect/shell stuff.

Hope that helps!

RevenantKioku

I'm sorry, I wanted to go to sleep. Why did you have to give me that ending, Chapter 8? Why?
Okay, I'm going to pretend Chapter 9 doesn't touch it so I'm a ways off anyway... sleep time.

RevenantKioku

duckroll said:
Has any FF game ever had a New Game+?
This is probably not the best FF to use the "has any FF game ever done X?" logic. :D

duckroll

RevenantKioku said:
This is probably not the best FF to use the "has any FF game ever done X?" logic. :D

No, that was a serious question, I'm trying to think of one. Spin-offs count too, have there ever been one?

RevenantKioku

duckroll said:
No, that was a serious question, I'm trying to think of one. Spin-offs count too, have there ever been one?
Pretty sure FFX-2 did but I have never actually done a New Game+ in any game.

chris-013

Oichi said:
Chapter 10 boss advice?

Attacker/Blaster/Blaster
Blaster/Healer/Blaster
Healer/Healer/Enhancer

Yes, use Snow or Fang as a defender and the fight is very easy.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Haha. Holy shit. The boss at the end of chapter 11 was fucking epic. It was a 20 minute long fight where I was on the brink of death nearly the entire time. Goddamn. I can't believe I beat that on my first try. I was obviously doing something terribly wrong because the target time was 14 minutes. Damn that was fun.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I'm only 2 hours into it so far, but I am liking it. It's been linear, but everything moves quickly so I haven't noticed much. I'm sure after I play a bit more I might end up missing towns though.

Dialogue is bad, but I like it that way for some reason. It's what I was expecting from an FF game. The translation I'm following only has the first two chapters, so unless the guy can translate super fast I'll be playing in full Japanese.

Ploid 3.0

Vect said:
That I would agree with. -_- Plus I would also bet on a very bad delivery from the VAs. Damnit! Let me be wrong.

Hmm maybe it won't be so bad. I don't mind stories, or acting not being oscar deliveries. This trailer sounds good if it's real. (TGS trailer translated may be spoiler? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9cI-QJak5I)

Zefah said:
Haha. Holy shit. The boss at the end of chapter 11 was fucking epic. It was a 20 minute long fight where I was on the brink of death nearly the entire time. Goddamn. I can't believe I beat that on my first try. I was obviously doing something terribly wrong because the target time was 14 minutes. Damn that was fun.

Which fight was that? I started to describe what I think it is but it's probably not it and it would spoil you. Anyway I saw a fight where it kept destroying the player's health almost every other round with a powerful attack. It seemed so cruel. In the end (after 5+ hours of trying over and over, then maybe a few more hours the next day) he found out what he had to do.

Zefah said:

I used Fang as defender on that mission. She can absorb or dodge all his big energy ball attacks. So as long as one person is always defending his is fairly harmless to the party. I just had to break him twice to kill him.

But I did fail the mission twice before I figured out never swap out the defender if he is about to do one of his big energy attacks.

hteng said:
i need help here on getting a monster hunt.

I'm at the tower thing where the elevators have music notes. I don't know how to make the monster at the 1st floor to come out. Anyone knows how to do it?

I don't know if you ended up solving this one. But I just got to it.
On the very top of the tower were you beat the fa'Cei, there is another statue thing that will summon up a second elevator machine. It will take you down to a floor you have not been to before. Once you go down there and clear it out there is a path to the other main elevator. I don't know if you have to do it in this order, but I was just following the red star. I took the elevator back up to the top of the tower, then I rode the elevator straight down the the 1st floor, this will trigger a cut scene that shows the mission target monster.

At this point for me that monster can insta-kill my whole party. He makes the fa'Cei at the top of the tower seem like a gentle puppy. So I am sure I cannot beat can't beat him till hours of grinding later.

Chapter 11 fulfills my grinding needs. I fucking love it. :D :D :D

BTW, I think it's pretty funny how everyone here is using Helterskelter since I'm using it as well.

duckroll said:
Here's how I did it:

I used Lightning/Sazh/Hope. I started the fight with Attacker/Enhancer/Enhancer giving me protective buffs from Hope, while Sazh gave me Haste and a SHITLOAD of attack buffs. Then I would switch to Blaster/Blaster/Blaster to break him by the time he transforms to his winged form. With the chain stabilized with Lightning's initial attacks, 3 Blasters should not be a problem, especially with Haste on everyone.

Once he's broken I go back to Attacker/Blaster/Blaster OR Attacker/Blaster/Healer. This is important because you want your entire party's HP to be maxed out at any given time especially when he's not attacking, which is a good chance. I juggled him still he had like 30% HP left, and just kept alternating between Attacker/Blaster/Healer and Blaster/Blaster/Blaster.

He died before I could break him again though. I used Full Cure just in case when it was looking REALLY dangerous at one point, that might have changed everything at the final moments, not sure. I might also have swapped back to Attacker/Enhancer/Enhancer once to regain a bunch of buffs, especially Haste and the protect/shell stuff.

Hope that helps!

Don't know if that is the best advice.

There really shouldn't be any reason to take an Enhancer as that flashy AoE attack he has cancels out every status effect on the field, and at least when I took him on he was doing that all the goddamn time. It really is a lot easier if you take a Defender because you don't have to worry as much about keeping your HP all the way up, which allows you to break him faster. Also something like ?/Defender/Healer is basically the best way to save your ass a lot of times. I used Enhancer/Defender/Healer just because I am stubborn and didn't take out Sazh.

donkey show said:
Chapter 11 fulfills my grinding needs. I fucking love it. :D :D :D

BTW, I think it's pretty funny how everyone here is using Helterskelter since I'm using it as well.

When I was playing with the upgrade system I actually got a Durandal but it has some stupid ass No Break effect. Why in the fuck would I want that no matter how good the weapon is. :(

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
LOL at that batshit insane CG cutscene at the beginning of chapter 12! That was just completely nuts and random. These guys have been watching too much Speed Racer.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
PuppetMaster said:
I used Fang as defender on that mission. She can absorb or dodge all his big energy ball attacks. So as long as one person is always defending his is fairly harmless to the party. I just had to break him twice to kill him.

But I did fail the mission twice before I figured out never swap out the defender if he is about to do one of his big energy attacks.

Defend will absorb all of the damage even on AE attacks? That is news to me! I'll try that if I ever play through the game again.

duckroll

BudokaiMR2 said:
Don't know if that is the best advice.

There really shouldn't be any reason to take an Enhancer as that flashy AoE attack he has cancels out every status effect on the field, and at least when I took him on he was doing that all the goddamn time. It really is a lot easier if you take a Defender because you don't have to worry as much about keeping your HP all the way up, which allows you to break him faster. Also something like ?/Defender/Healer is basically the best way to save your ass a lot of times. I used Enhancer/Defender/Healer just because I am stubborn and didn't take out Sazh.

Yes but he can't cast that if I break him. Haste made a HUGE difference in the battle for me. Maybe it's just a difference in play style, but I hate using Defenders. It makes the battle go slower, while with a fully hasted party, I could heal and attack so much faster. He has a fixed set of patterns, too, so after a while he'll start guarding, and that's a GREAT time to pile up the buffs and start blasting away. You just have to watch his behavior to take advantage of what you want to do in the battle. Like, once I broke him and he went into guard mode RIGHT after that before I could juggle him. That was a total waste, but I managed to use the time to heal up and rebuff, before continuing to damage him.

duckroll said:
Yes but he can't cast that if I break him. Haste made a HUGE difference in the battle for me. Maybe it's just a difference in play style, but I hate using Defenders. It makes the battle go slower, while with a fully hasted party, I could heal and attack so much faster. He has a fixed set of patterns, too, so after a while he'll start guarding, and that's a GREAT time to pile up the buffs and start blasting away. You just have to watch his behavior to take advantage of what you want to do in the battle. Like, once I broke him and he went into guard mode RIGHT after that before I could juggle him. That was a total waste, but I managed to use the time to heal up and rebuff, before continuing to damage him.

Well I took Sazh, like I said. My party never goes un-hasted in this game because he never leaves :)

I just meant that I wouldn't recommend an Enhancer over a Defender for this particular battle. As you mentioned his behavior can be erratic and I had several instances where I buffed myself to hell while he guarded just for him to use that AoE attack wasting all my precious effort. Plus with a Defender he can't juggle them unless the guards are timed bad, which takes away his most dangerous moves. I hate using Defenders too, but unfortunately Bahamut is my favorite summon so Fang makes her way into my party pretty often.

duckroll

BudokaiMR2 said:
Well I took Sazh, like I said. My party never goes un-hasted in this game because he never leaves :)

I just meant that I wouldn't recommend an Enhancer over a Defender for this particular battle. As you mentioned his behavior can be erratic and I had several instances where I buffed myself to hell while he guarded just for him to use that AoE attack wasting all my precious effort. Plus with a Defender he can't juggle them unless the guards are timed bad, which takes away his most dangerous moves. I hate using Defenders too, but unfortunately Bahamut is my favorite summon so Fang makes her way into my party pretty often.

Yeah, I think ultimately, how the battle is tackled depends on how much the player is willing to risk for potentially finishing the battle faster. Your way is probably the safer route, and more consistent with the expected strategy, but I took a bigger risk and managed to get through it anyway, so I'm pretty sure it works. I was just VERY careful about spacing out my heals and ensuring HP generally stays healthy while fighting.

duckroll said:
Yeah, I think ultimately, how the battle is tackled depends on how much the player is willing to risk for potentially finishing the battle faster. Your way is probably the safer route, and more consistent with the expected strategy, but I took a bigger risk and managed to get through it anyway, so I'm pretty sure it works. I was just VERY careful about spacing out my heals and ensuring HP generally stays healthy while fighting.

Yeah well I don't think we did it too differently anyway. The way I use Fang is with her almost constantly attacking. I usually just have my "Oh shit I need to heal NOW!" setup which has her as a Defender. Best strategy for healing imo because she draws attention to herself and usually uses Regen Guard. Can be a lifesaver, especially in hard boss battles.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
Bah, Lightning died on the boss fight when the boss had about 3000HP left. >:| I got fed up with it after dying that close to beating it so I'll try again tomorrow. I got the strat down but I goofed up at the end and paid for it :/

I used Lightning/Vanille/Fang for it, for what it's worth

hteng

Banned
PuppetMaster said:
I don't know if you ended up solving this one. But I just got to it.
On the very top of the tower were you beat the fa'Cei, there is another statue thing that will summon up a second elevator machine. It will take you down to a floor you have not been to before. Once you go down there and clear it out there is a path to the other main elevator. I don't know if you have to do it in this order, but I was just following the red star. I took the elevator back up to the top of the tower, then I rode the elevator straight down the the 1st floor, this will trigger a cut scene that shows the mission target monster.

At this point for me that monster can insta-kill my whole party. He makes the fa'Cei at the top of the tower seem like a gentle puppy. So I am sure I cannot beat can't beat him till hours of grinding later.

thanks I'll try it out, jesus christ looks like i have to walk all the fucking way to there.
I just warp back from cocoon, and the warp brings you to the very first place you landed on pulse
, damit SE, why the hell did you took out the airship ><

lsslave said:
Yeah, my hype went from down to up with this game. I will always have the old school FF games to entertain me and as long as its not another 12 I am happy.

Because JRPGs don't evolve? >.> <.< >.> :lol

No more Sakaguchi I would say might be the biggest reason for it. 10 was Kitase without Sakaguchi and this one is an evolution of that with the linearity. More focus on the epic journey and less on exploration.

Nomura still has his chapter of the 13 universe to come out and I expect it to be fantastic because he is excellent.
I'm still a bit worried about Final Fantasy Versus XIII myself. There's a chance that the battle system will be little more than Kingdom Hearts, press X the game, action RPG gameplay, and it's another Nomura/Nojima collaboration project, story-wise, even if right now the plot looks completely bad-ass.

Ploid 3.0

Kingdom Hearts fighting was pretty fun. I think this battle system would be great on VS, you'll probably have the ability to run around on your own, and if you can issue orders to the other characters like in 13 that would be nice. Not having cities would be easier to swallow in VS if it's like Kingdom Hearts. FF13 seem to be in the action rpg area almost due to it's focus on story and Balls To The Wall Battle.

Maybe vs will give us a inside picture of life in the cities, platforming, a huge world, and such. It wouldn't be bad if it was linear though, it got in the FF brand in a odd way. It's a side game.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
mcdomination said:
Are we sure that FFXIII was made by SE and not Fisher-Price? (My 1st RPG)

My last hope with the FF series now lies with FFXIV.

Are we sure you've played the game? There are plenty of arguments to level against FFXIII, but my first RPG? REALLY? The FF with the hardest regular battles in a long while is My First RPG?

Diablos said:

Where I am in the story, it's currently a struggle within the party between the not so bright, but kind-hearted Snow vs. Intelligent brash realist Lightning.

I kind of like the dynamic, because I have a feeling Snow's confidence is finally going to pay off...after like, 50000 more people die because of his idiotic plans.

Top Bottom