• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One X - Available November 7 for $499

Frostman

Any info on extra resolution support? Will this support a 1440p monitor or not?

I feel like Microsoft should be supporting as much as they can considering their target audience with the X.

Shiggy

With the pro hitting 1:5 its not a small market is it...

Even less because of what? Give me an actual reason rather than fluff.

Xbox in itself is a much smaller market than PS4.

Though I could see the ratio on Xbox be higher as there are probably, as a percentage of total users, more enthusiasts.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Pachter predicting $399 sealed it, I kinda suspected it and it's probably worth the price too.

Dammit!! That means no price cut for PS Pro or Slim then..

Pachter, the reverse Nostradamus. I should have listened to some of yall...

Like that it looks like a One S. Smaller too is nice. Got hope for next gen consoles being smaller in size too.

leeh

Per Phil back in march.

"I'm not trying to scare anybody on the price. We're going to come out on a price that we think is fair for the product that we build and the customers will tell us as they always do. I call it premium because I don't want people to get confused that somehow Scorpio is the thing that is going to take over the Xbox line."

While Spencer didn't outright say the price, he did hint that Scorpio would hold a higher price point than the Xbox One S. The hint came when Spencer detailed that the Xbox One S would remain the top seller, even over Scorpio.

"The majority of the consoles that we're going to sell are the Xbox One S and I'm very proud of that," he said.

So a pretty small market I think. According to him anyway.
So they expect similar to the Pro. Did anyone expect otherwise?! I don't get what youre saying.

AmyS

If they'd kept 'Scorpio' in the product name, that'd be worth an extra $100 right there!

kidding.

I do love the form factor though, very impressive. Smaller than Xbox One S and again, no power brick.

I'm getting Xbox One X because I can, but many won't because $500 is too much for a console, especially if they already have an OG XBone or Xbox One S.

It's still not a good value proposition, which is why I'm sure you will see Xbox One S indefinitely available for $249.

MilkyJoe

I'm not doing a detailed analysis on a per component basis of the cost. I'm giving an answer to the general perception of why people might think that Microsoft would be releasing a a 4K capable Xbox One that had better performance a year later at the same price as the PS4 Pro. It was not an unreasonable expectation in price point given that it was a whole year later and that the PS4 Pro just falls short of being able to hit native 4K. Plus, being the platform that is behind in market share significantly, one would expect them to be more competitive too. The $399 expectation wasn't something that was unreasonable.

Sure it's reasonable to have expected it, but from the time of actually knowing the full spec and MS consistently saying it's a premium product and will be priced accordingly, from the beginning, it was glaringly obvious that it was not going to be 399.

Shouldn't be directing that with me 😂

I think $449 would of been the sweet spot, but there's so much salt in here its unbelievable.
What a load of BS. 40% figure is crap. Take into account RAM, GPU clock, RAM B/W and even the smaller CPU improvements.

All the games shown at that conference were 4K. This is a true native 4K device for $100 more than a box which hardly gets any support.
Dude, your level of self-delusion is almost impressive. I mean, when youre trying to defend the value of the X, and deny the official numbers because they're not high enough in your own mind...

The problem here is, I think, that most of us can't see the point of paying 100 USD more for this than the Pro. It has no real exclusives, and barely any big games that the Pro isn't going to get, but the same can't be said the other way around.

The only real difference is that it will be able to do native 4K for more games, but that's it. The CPU is barely improved, so other than that, it'll mostly be the same games. And considering even Digital Foundry can barely tell the difference between PS4 faux-K AND real 4K most of the time, there just doesn't seem to be much justification for buying the X right now.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
IMO - too expensive & too late to be much more than a reptutational band-aid for the core fans. Its relevance could have been greater if it was going to be future-proof wrt the next generation of Xbox software, but I guess the CPU put the skids on that. Or it might have been a more credible play for marketshare if it was cheaper. But it seems to be neither of these things. It seems like a nice box though.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
day one purchase for me, like my currant games library and want a more powerful console. people saying price is to high yet will go spend loads on a graphics card for pc. I personaly don't think the price is to bad, yeah would of liked cheaper but at the end of the day its still the most powerful console by at least 40% if the figures are true

I thought they showed some great games and to play forza horizon on my 4k setup will keep me happy, Gears 4 in 4k a nice bonus to

People saying "for 500 dollars I can get a ps4 and xbox1 s or switch". Well yeah you're right. If that's what you want to do and playing more games at the quality those two systems offer is okay with you then do that instead. But if you want consoles with better visuals and primarily stick with the library on one system then maybe you don't need two different consoles? Here's the thing with the exclusive argument. What if none of the exclusives offered by a platform interest you and you're typically a multiplat gamer? In that case the x1x could possibly be a better option for some people. I get that people value things differently. For example I probably won't get an x1x because I'd rather spend those extra 250 bucks on a better gpu for my pc. I bet plenty of you would argue that it's a dumb idea to spent $600 bucks on a gpu and instead get a ps4, xbox and switch and that may be better for some people. I personally would rather have a better gpu. Or in this case some would rather get an x1x instead of two separate consoles.

With the pro hitting 1:5 its not a small market is it...

Even less because of what? Give me an actual reason rather than fluff.
I don't know how a $300 gap between the top of the line console and the cheapest current gen console this year for the XBO X vs a $150 gap last year for the PS4P is something that needs explaining. Calling it fluff isn't a very good response.

The Pro hitting 1 in 5 is a much smaller market than the standard console, yes? That is absolutely the point I was making. Now imagine if it was more expensive.

Sure it's reasonable to have expected it, but from the time of actually knowing the full spec and MS consistently saying it's a premium product and will be priced accordingly, from the beginning, it was glaringly obvious that it was not going to be 399.

I don't think anything Microsoft said leading up to today made it blatantly clear it was going to be more than $399. You're looking at hindsight by stating that. The PS4 Pro is a premium product. Phil Spencer saying Scorpio was going to be a premium product doesn't automatically mean more than $399. It simply means it's going to be priced higher than the One S which regularly was going for $200 to $250 during the holidays. Even at $399, that's twice the price.

PS4 Pro is 399

Scorpio is 50% more powerful, 50% more RAM, UHD Blu Ray, liquid cooled, all in a matchbox. Why should it be the same price?

edit

Because apparently that's the maximum amount a console can be, no matter how much is packed into it.

People expect this to be 399 yet no one is crying their eyes out that the Pro is overpriced... Wonder why that is,..

What a load of BS. 40% figure is crap. Take into account RAM, GPU clock, RAM B/W and even the smaller CPU improvements.

All the games shown at that conference were 4K. This is a true native 4K device for $100 more than a box which hardly gets any support.

You all spout stats like stats are why you buy the console. You can't play stats. The XB1X might have 40% more power, but you aren't going to enjoy it anywhere near 40% more. For one thing, third party developers aren't going to spend a lot of time specifically optimizing for the console likely to have to lowest install base. For another, all games will have to run on the base consoles so their gameplay can't be designed to take advantage of either the Pro or X. Finally, we are seriously getting into diminishing returns territory. Remember when Microsoft was saying 900p was pretty similar to 1080p? Well that difference is the Grand Canyon compared to checkerboarded 4K and native 4K.

Ultimately you'll be paying that Xbox One X premium price for not a lot of real world benefit. (Note, I've said the same about the Pro) The Xbox One X isn't just $100 more than the PS4 Pro. It's $250 more than the base models. Put that another way. You could buy an XB1 AND a PS4 for the same price as the Xbox One X. Now surely someone would get far more enjoyment out of having access to both console's libraries over the minor real world game performance boost they'd get for paying $500 for the X.

I don't think anything Microsoft said leading up to today made it blatantly clear it was going to be more than $399. You're looking at hindsight by stating that. The PS4 Pro is a premium product. Phil Spencer saying Scorpio was going to be a premium product doesn't automatically mean more than $399. It simply means it's going to be priced higher than the One S which regularly was going for $200 to $250 during the holidays. Even at $399, that's twice the price.
Microsoft told us the specs of the then Scorpio which definitely screamed loud and clear it was going to be more than $399. The only reason people gave for not believing it was that they didn't want to believe it.

It was a huge hint, people just didn't want to believe and instead created their own realities.

Chill dude. The 40% more powerful came from Microsoft. Direct your anger at them

Yeah and they're wrong themselves.

328.gif

Shiggy

I don't know how a $300 gap between the top of the line console and the cheapest current gen console this year for the XBO X vs a $150 gap last year for the PS4P is something that needs explaining. Calling it fluff isn't a very good response.

The Pro hitting 1 in 5 is a much smaller market than the standard console, yes? That is absolutely the point I was making. Now imagine if it was more expensive.

The console is aimed at Xbox enthusiasts. I'm not sure if you've watched the conference, but based on the game's announced, they aren't really trying to expand their audience. Instead, they focus on their existing users, even if that means going into an even smaller niche with the One X.

Not sure if that makes much sense business-wise.

Care to explain why? Cause the statement I made is correct.
People usually only claim that a company is lying when they're overstating their advantage. You're claiming that they're understating it. Why would any company ever do that?

That is also the reason why everyone is defending that number, it doesn't make much sense to claim that MS is spinning their advantage to make it seem smaller.

Its not that Microsoft usually day things that are "wrong" per say, just that they spin things a little too much for some people's liking. Like Phil claiming 22 console exclusives yesterday, and most of the games shown only being launch exclusives.

It was a huge hint, people just didn't want to believe and instead created their own realities.

I'm not saying Microsoft made it sound like it wouldn't be more than $399 either. I'm saying $399 was a reasonable expectation but also going higher was reasonable. I'm not faulting anyone that woke up this morning thinking when Microsoft announced, it would be $399. That was completely reasonable.

leeh

Nah, it is not like people were saying that Scorpio would change everything and MS now would have a fighting chance.

Oh wait, people did.
Uhm, no they didn't?

I don't recall anybody on here saying Scorpio would outsell the S and propel them into the lead, but you keep thinking what you want to.
People usually only claim that a company is lying when they're overstating their advantage. You're claiming that they're understating it. Why would any company ever do that?

That is also the reason why everyone is defending that number, it doesn't make much sense to claim that MS is spinning their advantage to make it seem smaller.

Its not that Microsoft usually day things that are "wrong" per say, just that they spin things a little too much for some people's liking. Like Phil claiming 22 console exclusives yesterday, and most of the games shown only being launch exclusives.
Again, you never said why it's wrong.

He knows more than the people that made the console.

I'm not saying Microsoft made it sound like it wouldn't be more than $399 either. I'm saying $399 was a reasonable expectation but also going higher was reasonable. I'm not faulting anyone that woke up this morning thinking when Microsoft announced, it would be $399. That was completely reasonable.

Sorry, but it wasn't. After the DF article it was pretty clear this wouldn't be 399 unless they took a hit.

Uhm, no they didn't?

I don't recall anybody on here saying Scorpio would outsell the S and propel them into the lead, but you keep thinking what you want to.

Never said outselling the S. I said give a fighting chance, which people did. There's one poster that said "this gen isn't over", and a mod even wanted to bet with him. If you took out your fanboy glasses you could see it, but I guess that's too much to ask.

This console looks like a great package, but 499€ is definitely too much for me.
I am not saying the price is not justified looking at the processing power and form factor, but I am really disappointed at the lineup.

Microsoft promised diversity, and they didn't really deliver on that for me... so for now I am going to stick to my OG Xbox One. But I am indeed curious about how older games like Fallout 4 will look upgraded.

Kyuur

I dont get people like you. "lets Complain about a product and demand ridiculous things without Even thinking about buying it in the first place no matter what.".

Whats the Point?

I mean, I explicitly let everyone know so they could feel free to disregard. It was kind of a joke post but maybe that didn't come across. :lol:

Honestly the device looks alright for the price, $CAD is pretty bad right now so it just hurts us a bit more. I would still be cautious around claims that it will boost performance in a meaningful way for all games out of the box. That burned a lot of people on PS4 Pro and I expect it to do the same here (esp. with the focus on patches from the conference).

Bioshocker

What were people expecting for a monster like this? 399 was always out of reach. I was hoping for 449 but 499 is fine. One X is a premium product for those willing to pay for the best. Which is a minority.

For those already owning a One S this is a pretty hard sell. I'm sitting with the big Xbox One so I might get the One X sooner or later. Have to buy a 4K TV first.

Zenner

Were any of the new Xbox titles VR-ready? One of the earlier talked-about Scorpio features was that it would have VR in mind - which, to be fair, is a fairly non-committal time-frame... but time's running out to get an established leg into the VR world.

Still coming down from that lack of a Halo: Gravemind horror/survival secret surprise. :/

Uhm, no they didn't?

Oh, come on. Every bloody sales thread had people claiming that Xbone sales were going to get much better once Scorpio arrived.
Why what is wrong?

Poster#1

After the conference, there's absolutely no reason to buy or upgrade to this thing. It's powerful and all, but where are the games?! They are gonna be murdered by Sony.
I don't mind the price that much, but the proposition is so poor if you have a PC and/or PS4.

Alchemy

I think this product kinda makes sense in that I doubt Microsoft expects it to really take over their console business. Keep selling the S and keep dropping the price, the X is for their hardcore Xbros who are tired of not at least having presentation parity in all games. I never really expected the PS4 Pro or Scorpio to do much other than be weird stop gaps between generations.

Were any of the new Xbox titles VR-ready? One of the earlier talked-about Scorpio features was that it would have VR in mind - which, to be fair, is a fairly non-committal time-frame... but time's running out to get an established leg into the VR world.

Still coming down from that lack of a Halo: Gravemind horror/survival secret surprise. :/
Next year

leeh

Oh, come on. Every bloody sales thread had people claiming that Xbone sales were going to get much better once Scorpio arrived.
Want to link to all these people?

Maybe I misunderstood you but it sounded like you were saying the market for these enthusiast's consoles was pretty big. Sorry if I misunderstood.
Np, I'm just saying they've always expected similar to the pro and we all did here.

Genio88

It's a great machine, i can't argue that, though i would never buy it since i'm a PC gamer too and i can get that power on my PC already and all the Xbox exclusives from Microsoft W10 Store...but i guess there is still market for console, "premium" console guys will buy it, the average will get the Xbox One S, i think even Microsoft expects the S to sell better, that's just to prove they are the leader in for raw power in the console market

leeh

Why what is wrong?
Me stating the 40% figure is actually unrepresentative.

You've got the whole GPU clock-speed, RAM size and BW and smaller CPU improvements.

That 40% is just the TFLOP difference. I don't blame them for doing that, that's what everyone focuses on..

MilkyJoe

You all spout stats like stats are why you by the console. You can't play stats. The XB1X might have 40% more power, but you aren't going to enjoy it anywhere near 40% more. For one thing, third party developers aren't going to spend a lot of time specifically optimizing for the console likely to have to lowest install base. For another, all games will have to run on the base consoles so their gameplay can't be designed to take advantage of either the Pro or X. Finally, we are seriously getting into diminishing returns territory. Remember when Microsoft was saying 900p was pretty similar to 1080p? Well that difference is the Grand Canyon compared to checkerboarded 4K and native 4K.

Ultimately you'll be paying that Xbox One X premium price for not a lot of real world benefit. (Note, I've said the same about the Pro) The Xbox One X isn't just $100 more than the PS4 Pro. It's $250 more than the base models. Put that another way. You could buy an XB1 AND a PS4 for the same price as the Xbox One X. Now surely someone would get far more enjoyment out of having access to both console's libraries over the minor real world game performance boost they'd get for paying $500 for the X.

Microsoft told us the specs of the then Scorpio which definitely screamed loud and clear it was going to be more than $399. The only reason people gave for not believing it was that they didn't want to believe it.

1 ) And you can buy a ford focus and a house to park it in front of for the price of a new Ferrari. It's all about options that are dependent on your needs, wants and means.

I'm not buying the console for the stats, I'm buying it because it's a new xbox that is going to make the games look and play better. The stats simply justify the price at the time it's coming to market. If it was 4Tflops and 399 I'd still buy it. Going from 720 - 900p to 4K, or in my case 1080p super-sampled, is going to be a treat.

2) You are 100% correct

$500 is what most expected when it was revealed last year. Some were saying it would be $600 etc.

I paid 1.5k for a 4k TV and I have no problem with this. Hopefully those that were all in for $400 can find the extra scratch to get on on this.

VR is the real head scratcher. For the life of me I don't know why Microsoft didn't get a deal with Oculus and/or Vive to ensure compatibility with the Xbox One X. That would have cost Microsoft nothing and giving them a real solid benefit over the Pro. The only thing I can think of is that Microsoft has its own VR solution that isn't ready yet, and wants to save the Xbox One X VR market for itself.

Edit:
Thanks InquisitorAles for the answer.

Top Bottom