• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rottenwatch: WATCHMEN

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
DMczaf said:
Kevin Smith on the /filmcast tonight said he decided to make his next movie with WB because of The Dark Knight, Watchmen and Speed Racer where WB just backed filmmakers financially and let them make their movie. Put aside what you think of him, but that's probably what most of Hollywood feels right now.
awesome.

Sapiens

DMczaf said:
Kevin Smith on the /filmcast tonight said he decided to make his next movie with WB because of The Dark Knight, Watchmen and Speed Racer where WB just backed filmmakers financially and let them make their movie. Put aside what you think of him, but that's probably what most of Hollywood feels right now.

What a fat ingrate. Hasn't Wienstein essentially been letting him do whatever he wants anyways?

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Wait? Tobias Funke is in this movie?
3985d.jpg

border said:
Weinstein Company passed on Red State, the last script he wrote.
NUMEROUS times.

He's been trying to get that made for years now.

To be fair, WB has a few more dollars to toss around than the Weinsteins.

jett

D-Member
Seems Watchmen was la bomba overseas:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=2561&p=.htm

Watchmen failed to entice an international audience to match its huge marketing blitz, extremely wide release and hype as an intended blockbuster, meeting a similar fate as Speed Racer, Max Payne and Body of Lies. In the recent past, domestic duds like The Golden Compass and Poseidon would usually hit their expected grosses overseas, but that's been a tall order lately.

Leading the weekend with a $26.6 million debut from 44 markets Watchmen was low compared to other superhero movies, which generally have smaller overseas totals than domestic. Back in June, The Incredible Hulk grabbed $30.8 million out of the gate from 38 markets and it ultimately fell short of its domestic haul

Beaten by Hulk and with even less territories. :p

jett

D-Member
mrkgoo said:
I was going to say that came out of the blue...completely pun not intended.

Goodbye serious GN adaptions.

There can still be awesomely serious graphic novel adaptations...but not necessarily this slavish to the original work. See: A History of Violence.

Flynn

jett said:
There can still be awesomely serious graphic novel adaptations...but not necessarily this slavish to the original work. See: A History of Violence.

Besides, Watchmen is an anomaly. There are few other graphic novels that would have ever merited a straight adaptation anyway. And the ones that deserve it, like Blankets, won't be judged on this movies box office.

7Th

I agree with everyone saying that loyalty to the source material was ultimately damaging to the final product. It's more of an overly-simplified version of the original graphic novel rather than an actually compelling work in its own right.

God, that letter from Hayter was terrible. I enjoyed the film as a fan of the book, but on its own merits, it's just too dense to catch on with the mainstream. If it had been done as a 12-part HBO miniseries or something, it might've really worked as a faithful adaptation. But the movie we got, while pretty entertaining, may as well come with a Fans Only warning.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I'm going to go out to see the movie, but man it puts me off when people beg you to see it. Kind of like on the gaming side where they do the same for games. It's like some sort of blackmail. "You better pay money for this or you'll be sorry!"

birdman

Prince of Space said:
God, that letter from Hayter was terrible. I enjoyed the film as a fan of the book, but on its own merits, it's just too dense to catch on with the mainstream. If it had been done as a 12-part HBO miniseries or something, it might've really worked as a faithful adaptation. But the movie we got, while pretty entertaining, may as well come with a Fans Only warning.

I have personally seen people not fans with the source material(never read it or know almost nothing about the plot) and they enjoyed it. It's just this movie causes extreme polarization. If anything it should have a "You'll either like it or think its shit" warning.

I just got back from seeing this. Having never read the graphic novel I enjoyed the movie quite a bit. I liked the music selection too, fit the movie pretty good, IMO.

Can't wait for the extended Blu-ray release. Gonna have to finally pick up the graphic novel as well.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
So I just came back from the film and I'll just give my impressions (I have read the book):

-Execution of the Plot and Backstory was a little scattered. The movie felt a bit jumpy in the first 1/3rd.
-Acting was above average. Rorschach was perfect. I didn't really like Silk or Adrian though.
-Dialogue was a little off, too close to the comic. Some lines from the book just don't work well in film. Conversations didn't feel organic to me.
-Action Sequences were far better than I expected. I really liked almost all of them.
-The look of the film was spot on.

I liked it, but didn't love it. I just wish the plot was executed better.

it was fascinate, to see some interpretate of the book things...but no was not good movie.

I am not big and huge fan of Wmen, I move on from such things....have not read in years. do not think another director would make to much a differents, Synder was fathful of Moore, blame Snyder, but also blame Moore, why not, dont be afraid.

another thing to say, why all excitmetn for "hey improve superhero with more realsm" you know they got realstic type movies with out superh, isnt that better type? enough all the time this superhero things

bafflewaffle said:
it was fascinate, to see some interpretate of the book things...but no was not good movie.

I am not big and huge fan of Wmen, I move on from such things....have not read in years. do not think another director would make to much a differents, Synder was fathful of Moore, blame Snyder, but also blame Moore, why not, dont be afraid.

another thing to say, why all excitmetn for "hey improve superhero with more realsm" you know they got realstic type movies with out superh, isnt that better type? enough all the time this superhero things, stiff for capes??
So the movie is like the comic, but you've moved on "from such things" and superheroes are stupid, therefore the movie is bad.

polyh3dron said:
So the movie is like the comic, but you've moved on "from such things" and superheroes are stupid, therefore the movie is bad.
not they are stupid, but saying, so much attents paid to them on gaf and why not "full realist" better than "fantasy+realist", just as some type nocean

for Wmen, you got to really care about heros to care about subvert the heros, so I dono hehe :)

bafflewaffle said:

another thing to say, why all excitmetn for "hey improve superhero with more realsm" you know they got realstic type movies with out superh, isnt that better type? enough all the time this superhero things
Watchmen is the polar opposite of anything "superhero comic". Did you even understand the graphic novel in the first place?

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
bafflewaffle said:
not they are stupid, but saying, so much attents paid to them on gaf and why not "full realist" better than "fantasy+realist", just as some type nocean

for Wmen, you got to really care about heros to care about subvert the heros, so I dono hehe :)

please tell me english isnt your first language.

ZephyrFate said:
Watchmen is the polar opposite of anything "superhero comic". Did you even understand the graphic novel in the first place?
that could be you opin, disagre on that, I could underst some type things sometimes maybe, who knows

quadriplegicjon said:
please tell me english isnt your first language.
I m sorry :( enjoy ment of the words can be good , but back to watchthings, apologs to some people

bafflewaffle said:
that could be you opin, disagre on that, I could underst some type things sometimes maybe, who knows

I m sorry :( enjoy ment of the words can be good , but back to watchthings, apologs to some people
It's really not opinion... the main reason the graphic novel was created was to deconstruct the genre and critique it.

ZephyrFate said:
It's really not opinion... the main reason the graphic novel was created was to deconstruct the genre and critique it.
yes not oposite then, have relates in that type sense :) let us agree

what is you define of suphero comic? fight scenes costume people specia veehicle, gadgets-yes. dude with powers, show his orgin-yes. villan with master plan-yes. it is suphero comic. sorry I make to much post,

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
The movie goes up here in Sweden today, and so far most reviews from the major new papers seems to end up with a 3/5. Some of the reviewers seems to have read the comic as well.

Saw the movie lastnight. After hearing complaints about music scores, every bodily organ splayed open for all to see, and giant blue dongs shoved in your face every Dr. Manhattan scene, I had strange expectations. What I ended up seeing was the most faithful movie adaptation of a comic book.

They could have cut out a few more minutes that wouldn't have taken anything away from the story and left if for the extended versions such as Rorschach's childhood and some of Dr. Manhattan's longer lines. I would have prefered a better choreographed fight with the thugs in the alley. Overall there is little to complain about as a fan of the graphic novel who just wanted to see the story in live-action.

And the blue dong took up like 3% of the screen when it was even shown for crying out loud!

Thought it was strange they didn't drop a line to explain what Rorschach's mask actually was in the movie as that was one of the mystery hooks that kept me reading the book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom