• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blue Dragon (Xbox360) |OT|

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
duckroll said:
dinobd.jpg

TORIYAMA DINOS OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG

Oh, that`s how. :(

p3tran

Banned
squatingyeti said:
Sad thing is, had this been on PS3 in the exact same form it is now it would've got a 39/40 or 40/40. However, being this was regular Famitsu and not 360, that's a great score for BD and I'm sure MS is VERY proud of what they've put their money in to.

even most of you disagree with yeti, I'm willing to put money on BlueDragon getting even higher marks from the worldwide press than famitsu gave it.
and even more important, getting higher marks from the people who will actually purchase and play it.

Bodom78

Man I just love looking at screen shots of this game. It's not really my type of game but I can't help but feel that I will end up buying it.

p3tran said:
even most of you disagree with yeti, I'm willing to put money on BlueDragon getting even higher marks from the worldwide press than famitsu gave it.
and even more important, getting higher marks from the people who will actually purchase and play it.

for an rpg? I seriously doubt it will...famitsu is alway generous towards rpgs and theyve hardly been overly critical of 360 games compared to other platforms... I mean ffxii got full marks from famitsu, and the grades were often slightly lower elsewhere....

peace

p3tran

Banned
well nelson.. Oblivion got a global ~94%, Zelda got a global ~96%, I expect Blue Dragon somewhere in those lines..
we'll know for sure as soon as some japan 360 owners get their hands on it.

Jcgamer60

p3tran said:
well nelson.. Oblivion got a global ~94%, Zelda got a global ~96%, I expect Blue Dragon somewhere in those lines..
we'll know for sure as soon as some japan 360 owners get their hands on it.

Keep in mind blue dragon is a Jrpg :)

I have the Eternity single.. Ian Gillian's singing isn't so great. It sounds really.. non-english and weird. Maybe it was the lyrics he was given?

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
Can't wait for this game... I hope they don't take too long to bring it to America. I hate having to wait for FF's for 10+ months. Me and a friend played through FF8 import with a printed translation in hand hehe, not sure if I am that "hardcore" anymore.

I have to say the game looks so much better in motion than it does in stills. It looks fine in stills, but in motion it looks beautiful.

duckroll

DarknessTear said:
I have the Eternity single.. Ian Gillian's singing isn't so great. It sounds really.. non-english and weird. Maybe it was the lyrics he was given?

Do you have the other single too?

Jcgamer60

TorbjornO said:
Can't wait for this game... I hope they don't take too long to bring it to America. I hate having to wait for FF's for 10+ months. Me and a friend played through FF8 import with a printed translation in hand hehe, not sure if I am that "hardcore" anymore.

I have to say the game looks so much better in motion than it does in stills. It looks fine in stills, but in motion it looks beautiful.

Thats good to hear, i was starting to wonder about those magazine scans.

DarknessTear said:

Yeah, I'd agree with the latter. The lyrics sound weirdly Japanese as in an anime opening theme song, as if a Japanese native who's got english for a second language authored them.

duckroll

tambourine said:
Yeah, I'd agree with the latter. The lyrics sound weirdly Japanese as in an anime theme song opening, as if a Japanese native who's got english for a second language authored them.

Yeah that Japanese native would be Sakaguchi. :lol

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
=GabrielKnight= said:
I hope the world map is fully explorable, even if it's in inferior scale compared to DQVIII.

Aniway, this is really a test for Microsoft... if it fails, even with such a game, then they can leave Japan and concentrate on western markets.

I'm really curious to see how many consoles they will be able to sell when it comes out :)

I don't think they should ever leave Japan outright. They're close to ~200k now, right?? and will possibly move another ~100k when this game releases along with DOAX2, so really, they should try to carve that niche out as best as they can. Get to that 1 million installed base of hardcore gamers and they may be able to survive over there. I still think they should re-brand the 360 with a known publisher's name, like Capcom or something, to help move more units.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Sean*O said:
Since Microsoft were the financial backers for the founding of Mistwalker studios, I don't think that a BD sequel would NOT find its way to the 360. It's likely that the entire BD franchise will never see release on any other platform than the 360. Could be possible, but I doubt it.

since Microsoft were the financial backers for the founding of Mistwalker studios, I think its likely that Mistwalker will fulfil its contractual obligations and say 'cheers for the money MS' - then see what Sony and Nintendo have as incentives to go to their platforms too.

duckroll said:
Yes, that was mentioned in several interviews.

I haven't really paid much attention.

Argh, I want this game. By the time I get a HDTV, a 360 and can get the game.. I wonder if it will be old news? Hate it when that happens!

duckroll

DarknessTear said:
I haven't really paid much attention.

Argh, I want this game. By the time I get a HDTV, a 360 and can get the game.. I wonder if it will be old news? Hate it when that happens!

Nah, by the time you get a HDTV, a 360 and can get the game...... it will be available in the US! :D

Blimblim

The Inside Track
I just listened to Ayako Kawasumi's song for Blue Dragon, and I can't state enough how her voice should never ever be the most important part of a song. For Mahoromatic at least she had the music behind that helped a lot, but just her with a guitar is a bad bad bad bad idea.
I'm a big fan of her voice work, but when she tries to sing it's like they are dozens of cats in heat mixed with nails-on-chalkboard sound.

p3tran said:

I doubt it. It's going to get demerits for being a Been-There-Done-That RPG and I'm sure there are wags that will take off points for it being on multiple discs in this Blu-Rayge. I predict scores betwixt 8 and 9, Viva Pinata style. Considering how much that game owns, that's fine by me.

duckroll

Blimblim said:
I just listened to Ayako Kawasumi's song for Blue Dragon, and I can't state enough how her voice should never ever be the most important part of a song. For Mahoromatic at least she had the music behind that helped a lot, but just her with a guitar is a bad bad bad bad idea.

Haha, if they wanted someone who could really sing and still fit the role of a character like that, they should totally have gone with Maaya Sakamoto.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
duckroll said:
Haha, if they wanted someone who could really sing and still fit the role of a character like that, they should totally have gone with Maaya Sakamoto.
She doesn't have the same sweet voice as Ayako Kawasumi, but yeah at least she can sing :D
Not that I dislike Maaya Sakamoto's voice at all, I also loved a lot of her roles before (especially rahxephon and escaflowne).

duckroll

Wow. The Blue Dragon Ral Grado manga is really damn good! While early 2ch scans would have you believe that it's a pervy shounen manga, it's actually a pretty solid first chapter of a dark fantasy manga.

The story is set in a fantasy kingdom which has imprisoned a boy named Ral inside a shell for 15 years since his birth because when he was a baby a dragon shadow manifested and he was considered a threat. All his life the only two people he has known is his Dragon shadow Grado and the woman who visits his cell from time to time, Mio.

Now 15 years later the kingdom is under attack by monsters and they feel it is time to let him out as a final solution. The first thing he does is to kill the man whom he knows as his father. Apparently while he considers himself a child who knows nothing of the ways of the world, he believes the Dragon knows all, and they decide things together.

After his savage attack, Mio calms him down and promises to teach him what he needs to know to survive in the world, but they have a problem and need his help. He takes on the monsters attacking the city, and saves the day, earning his safety in the castle. While Mio looks after him in his sleep, the Dragon continues talking with him in his thoughts.....

The art is really good, as expected of Obata, and dark fantasy shounen action is a refreshing change from the usual stuff in Jump. This could turn out to be a really good manga, depending on where it goes in the future.

duckroll said:
Wow. The Blue Dragon Ral Grado manga is really damn good! While early 2ch scans would have you believe that it's a pervy shounen manga, it's actually a pretty solid first chapter of a dark fantasy manga.

The story is set in a fantasy kingdom which has imprisoned a boy named Ral inside a shell for 15 years since his birth because when he was a baby a dragon shadow manifested and he was considered a threat. All his life the only two people he has known is his Dragon shadow Grado and the woman who visits his cell from time to time, Mio.

Now 15 years later the kingdom is under attack by monsters and they feel it is time to let him out as a final solution. The first thing he does is to kill the man whom he knows as his father. Apparently while he considers himself a child who knows nothing of the ways of the world, he believes the Dragon knows all, and they decide things together.

After his savage attack, Mio calms him down and promises to teach him what he needs to know to survive in the world, but they have a problem and need his help. He takes on the monsters attacking the city, and saves the day, earning his safety in the castle. While Mio looks after him in his sleep, the Dragon continues talking with him in his thoughts.....

The art is really good, as expected of Obata, and dark fantasy shounen action is a refreshing change from the usual stuff in Jump. This could turn out to be a really good manga, depending on where it goes in the future.

interest piqued...

peace

duckroll

Blimblim said:
Sounds interesting indeed. Obata was also the artist for Hikaru no Go, right?

Yeah, but at the moment he's most famous for the recently completed Death Note, since the second live action movie is running in Japan now and the anime series is running on TV now. Ral Grado shares many design similarities with his more gothic Death Note designs, but he has MUCH more liberty here since its a pure fantasy manga. There's some pretty cool stuff. :D

Kunai

duckroll said:

Panzer Dragoon Orta says Hello!:D :lol

duckroll

BenjaminBirdie said:
Is any of this stuff related to the game or is this like some Tenchi Muyo type stuff where everything is basically its own thing?

Some people have suggested this might be a prequel. In a way this is it's own thing, as far as characters and story are concerned. It might very well be set in the same world at a different time. The first chapter has a pretty interesting explaination for the shadows and how they take on a life of their own. It's a part of the mythos of the world that exists in the game as well. The suggestion that this is a prequel comes from the fact that the game's story revolves around the re-emergence of technology and stuff from an ancient civilization 100,000 years before. It's way too early to tell if Ral Grado is a prequel, or simply set in a different location from the game, or whatever.

Meier

Loved HikaGo (until the unfortunate and abrupt end) and Death Note is one of the few manga I've bothered to read in awhile (sooooo out of the loop now), so I look forward to Blue Dragon. Mostly though, I just want to play the damn game! Probably be another year till we get here in the States I imagine. :(

Blimblim

The Inside Track
duckroll said:
Here are some of the cooler art pages in the first chapter:
Wow, the art is indeed excellent, Obata didn't do a half assed job with these.
A Blue Dragon sequel using this art style would be most interesting, but that won't happen of course.
Meier said:
Loved HikaGo (until the unfortunate and abrupt end) and Death Note is one of the few manga I've bothered to read in awhile (sooooo out of the loop now), so I look forward to Blue Dragon. Mostly though, I just want to play the damn game! Probably be another year till we get here in the States I imagine. :(
Nah, last I heard it was still planned for the first semester in the US. Nothing official of course.

Blimblim said:
Wow, the art is indeed excellent, Obata didn't do a half assed job with these.
A Blue Dragon sequel using this art style would be most interesting, but that won't happen of course.

Maybe a Blue Dragon fighter, tho!

:D

I hope they end up translating this stuff and releasing it over here.

And Meier, I doubt it will take a year for this to get to the US. It had better not...

duckroll

Junpei Heat said:
I suppose later he'll get haircut and that dragon isnt very friendly looking...

I doubt he'll get a haircut, this is an Obata manga after all. :lol

Yeah, I think the Dragon isn't "good" either. The entire backstory about the World of Darkness and the nature of shadows, monsters and gods is definitely going to play a part in the story. While Grado is definitely looking out for Ral as they're still one body right now, I wonder what Grado's objectives are in the long run....

jimbo

Banned
Wait a second. So are you guys telling me the game got 3 9's and one 10 and there are people bitching about this?

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
BenjaminBirdie said:
I doubt it. It's going to get demerits for being a Been-There-Done-That RPG and I'm sure there are wags that will take off points for it being on multiple discs in this Blu-Rayge. I predict scores betwixt 8 and 9, Viva Pinata style. Considering how much that game owns, that's fine by me.

Yeah, I hate to say it but aside from Toastyfrog (of all people), the majority of the American press wouldn't know a good RPG if it bit them in the ass (case in point: all the low BK2 scores and all the high Fable scores).

Top Bottom