• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This weeks ZOMG JP magazine NEWSSS (PERSONA 3!!)

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
duckroll said:
Thanks for the scans go to Jonnyram. He's the man. :D

Also Shouta, yes you can position characters since you move them with the touchpen. They fight via gambits but apparently you can control movement to flank enemies.
So it's like FFXII meets SRPG. I'm looking forward to this and HoM. :D

Did we ever find out who the composer of RW will be?

ethelred

Jesus Christ, Revenant Wings looks so ****ing awesome.

Best looking Square Enix game on the DS, which means it's now the best looking DS game. Wow.

jj984jj said:

Yes, same here. Wow. I want this so bad.

jj984jj said:

Sakimoto and someone else.

Ginko

Sweet!!! Damn that looks just awesome.

Those images below in the 4th scan are straight from combat if I'm not mistaking. Tha gambit is looking fine, I can see how it will work perfectly with the game.

Kudos to Jonnyram.

duckroll

jj984jj said:

Kenichiro Fukui is composing the soundtrack with Sakimoto supervising the soundtrack. Kenichiro Fukui composed some music for Einhander, FFVII Advent Children and Front Mission 5.

Junpei Heat

:lol Watermarks serious business

It looks good but why are they putting question marks next to espers that anyone who played the game would know?

Belias?

Basch?

Chocobo!

Shouta

duckroll said:
Thanks for the scans go to Jonnyram. He's the man. :D

Also Shouta, yes you can position characters since you move them with the touchpen. They fight via gambits but apparently you can control movement to flank enemies.

So it's what FFXII should've been?

Sweet!

Shouta

Very awesome! Thanks Jonny! I can see the new stufff noooooow!

Oh and the dengeki spreads need more art. Need some nice ones for avatars!

Abel

Nice scans but watermarks FTL :p good thing Dengeki scans surfaced for P3 Fes sans the watermarking :lol

Ginko

duckroll said:
The Jonnyram love doesn't stop! But is GAF still awake? :lol (Persona 3 Fes)

shit...

Thanks, Jonnyram.
Is it just me or is Jonnyram abusing the logo in P3 scans :p.

duckroll

Ginko said:
shit...

Thanks, Jonnyram.
Is it just me or is Jonnyram abusing the logo in P3 scans :p.

The watermarks are mine. The scans are his. If you want to take it up with anyone, take it up with Jeux-France using everyone's scans all the time for their commercial site.

I think the watermarks are very fair, I've placed them such that everyone can see the pics and enjoy the scans, but such that they cannot be reproduced for profit without looking really lame. After all, these are magazine scans and they're already a copyright violation. Everyone is getting them for free, the information is all that really matters right? If you want perfect images you could always buy the magazine once in a while......

Abel

duckroll said:
If you want perfect images you could always buy the magazine once in a while......

Yea I've resorted to this in the past myself :) I, myself, would love to buy such magazines readily, however, trying to find such mags for sell as this is an endeavor in and of itself unless you live in Japan of course.

Then if you're lucky enough to find a store online you get to add on the shipping which can run anywhere from the mid twenties for fastest to whatever it is for snailmail, by the time all is said and done you've spent nearly 40 dollars for a single mag or you receive it 20 years later when its old news and you're more than likely over anticipating those particular scans :lol

Good recommendation in theory, but executing it isnt the most practical of things ^^;;

Ginko

duckroll said:
The watermarks are mine. The scans are his. If you want to take it up with anyone, take it up with Jeux-France using everyone's scans all the time for their commercial site.

I think the watermarks are very fair, I've placed them such that everyone can see the pics and enjoy the scans, but such that they cannot be reproduced for profit without looking really lame. After all, these are magazine scans and they're already a copyright violation. Everyone is getting them for free, the information is all that really matters right? If you want perfect images you could always buy the magazine once in a while......
I know that J-F is the real problem here, I even support the idea of putting the watermarks. It's just that I noticed the watermarks in P3 scans are different (bigger) than the others, so I thought Jonnyram was just making a joke since he doesn't care that much about the game.

I said wow @ the last IAWW scan. This is reminding me a lot of Bleach.

FFXII looks amazing, but now I kind of wish it were a new IP and not FFXII. Still looking forward to it. BTW... looks like all the backgrounds are 3D! DS 3D haters be damned. :D

ethelred

Man... scans here of Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates, It's a Wonderful World, and Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings (FFXII+FFT!)... Square Enix wins the DS. There's just no one else competing with them on it.

ethelred said:
Man... scans here of Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates, It's a Wonderful World, and Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings (FFXII+FFT!)... Square Enix wins the DS. There's just no one else competing with them on it.

I actually agree. I'm looking forward to their DS stuff even more than Nintendo's stuff, which is saying a lot (even more than Zelda, but that's because of Nintendo ruining my Zelda with touch screen gimmicks >:|).

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Jonnyram said:
This is the best issue of Famitsu for ages...
7 pages of P3F (-_-);
4 pages of It's a Wonderful World
2 pages of Kiki Kaikai 2
2 pages of Heroes of Mana
4 pages of FFXII RW <- :O
...and more!
The Heroes Of Mana scans please!

there are many good rpgs coming out...but only one big one for the psp...I want more for the psp dammit...Im not a big hand held gamer...and there is no chance I will get a DS....wouldnt have got a psp if its wasnt for the media capabilities...and mgs po

gconsole

nelsonroyale said:
there are many good rpgs coming out...but only one big one for the psp...I want more for the psp dammit...Im not a big hand held gamer...and there is no chance I will get a DS....wouldnt have got a psp if its wasnt for the media capabilities...and mgs po

Crisis core? What about MHP2 ?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
damn heroes of mana and shiren also looks really nice.....

ds>>>all :D

nelsonroyale said:

If you want great RPGs, there are a few Tales games for the PSP out (and coming soon), then there's Jeanne D'Arc and Monster Kingdom too.

But if that's not enough, then you'll have to get a DS.

BTW Heroes of Mana looks stunning too. Love the art. Shiren is nice too.

LevelNth

Banned
Holy shit. There is absolutely no way I can go without a DS now, that's just too much awesome right there. RW and IAWW look absolutely stunning. Layton was already pushing me off the edge, but this massive SE deluge is just too much to resist.

DS am mine ASAP.

ethelred

nelsonroyale said:

babycryingid8.jpg

Teasel

DarknessTear said:
Wow, isn't the last time a Shiren game was made like during the SNES days?
not quite... there was a sequel for N64,and another one for Dreamcast though that was more a side story

duckroll

Hey, hope you guys enjoyed all the news and scans this week. I have Blue Dragon now though, and I'm getting MPO this weekend, and Zelda TP next week..... so erm..... I guess I'll just be playing games for a while now! :lol

Oh man hells of sweet! Thanks Johnny! :D

Revenant Wings is looking way, way better than I even imagined. I love the gambit system, and mixing it with a four-character party and easy character positioning via the touchscreen seems like an amazing, awesome choice. Plus this game will have more characters (bangaa plz!) Plus plus this game has absolutely gorgeous spritework and backgrounds, completely the opposite of what I was expecting.

Plus, is that a chocobo in your party in the one shot?!

I'm consistently impressed by S-E's DS output at this point. It's too bad that (with the exception of Children of Mana) it mostly seems to be Final Fantasy-branded, though when you stack RW, FF III, Chocobo, and Crystal Chronicles next to each other it's certainly not like they're actually that similar. Still, with DS' ludicrous sales (and S-E's ability to actually leverage them into software sales) I'd like to see some new IPs....

EDIT: Of course I forgot about Wonderful World which is exactly the kind of thing I want them to do more of.

EDITx2: Enjoy Blue Dragon, duck!

ethelred

charlequin said:
Revenant Wings is looking way, way better than I even imagined. I love the gambit system, and mixing it with a four-character party and easy character positioning via the touchscreen seems like an amazing, awesome choice. Plus this game will have more characters (bangaa plz!) Plus plus this game has absolutely gorgeous spritework and backgrounds, completely the opposite of what I was expecting.

Four character party? Take another look at the scans, man -- looks like there are enough slots for either five or six (I think it looks like six). :D

Controlling character movement and positioning adds what sounds like a fantastic FFT/SRPG feeling to the gameplay, to go along with the larger battle parties. And yeah, the character movement will be very sweet with the touch-screen -- I'm looking forward to that in Revenant Wings and Heroes of Mana. And yeah, the backgrounds and sprites are phenomenal. Gorgeous. Best looking stuff they've done here so far.

I want some moogle characters this time around.

charlequin said:
I'm consistently impressed by S-E's DS output at this point.

Same. Square Enix's DS stuff is absolutely killing their GBA support. I'm loving their games here so much.

charlequin said:
It's too bad that (with the exception of Children of Mana) it mostly seems to be Final Fantasy-branded, though when you stack RW, FF III, Chocobo, and Crystal Chronicles next to each other it's certainly not like they're actually that similar. Still, with DS' ludicrous sales (and S-E's ability to actually leverage them into software sales) I'd like to see some new IPs....

Well, not all Final Fantasy branded. I mean, we just got Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime in the west, and Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker comes out in Japan in a few weeks. And like you said, while there's a Final Fantasy branding to each of them, it's not like FFIII / RW / Chocobo / Crystal Chronicles are all that similar. Each of them stands on its own pretty well.

I would absolutely like to see some more new IPs from them here, too, but at least we've already got one so far (IAWW, which looks great in the new scans).

charlequin said:
Oh man hells of sweet! Thanks Johnny! :D

Plus, is that a chocobo in your party in the one shot?!

I'm consistently impressed by S-E's DS output at this point. It's too bad that (with the exception of Children of Mana) it mostly seems to be Final Fantasy-branded, though when you stack RW, FF III, Chocobo, and Crystal Chronicles next to each other it's certainly not like they're actually that similar. Still, with DS' ludicrous sales (and S-E's ability to actually leverage them into software sales) I'd like to see some new IPs....

EDIT: Of course I forgot about Wonderful World which is exactly the kind of thing I want them to do more of.

EDITx2: Enjoy Blue Dragon, duck!

Eh, Final Fantasy is pretty much just a name that SE throws out to get more money. A lot of the things SE calls FF are hardly even similar to real FF. Crystal Chronicles for example.

jarrod

Banned
Teasel said:
not quite... there was a sequel for N64,and another one for Dreamcast though that was more a side story
There was also a GBC release, an online PC release and various mobile releases. Shiren's alive and well. :)

ethelred said:
Four character party? Take another look at the scans, man -- looks like there are enough slots for either five or six (I think it looks like six). :D

::blink::

HELL YES.

Controlling character movement and positioning adds what sounds like a fantastic FFT/SRPG feeling to the gameplay, to go along with the larger battle parties.

It's kind of weird and ironic to me that I'm currently pumped for a sprite-based, small-t tactical RPG set in Ivalice and Yasumi Matsuno has nothing to do with it.

I want some moogle characters this time around.

Damn straight. The XII moogles might be the cutest iteration yet. Since the whole deal with Revenant Wings is apparently that there are tons of characters to use, and since the cool thing about XII-era Ivalice is that it's filled with really awesome and interesting races, I'm hoping to see quite a few of them feature as playable characters.

Well, not all Final Fantasy branded. I mean, we just got Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime in the west, and Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker comes out in Japan in a few weeks.

True, although spinning off from S-E's other multi-million seller flagship RPG series is very similar. :p

And like you said, while there's a Final Fantasy branding to each of them, it's not like FFIII / RW / Chocobo / Crystal Chronicles are all that similar. Each of them stands on its own pretty well.

Yeah, it's true, and this is a type of IP milking I'm much happier with than (say) the FFVII compilation. FF already had pretty much complete freedom in terms of world design, and recent spinoff games have also taken liberties with the gameplay and plotting, so there's really very little you can't do under the umbrella. My interest in new IPs is really in two areas: one, a succesful new IP is more likely to generate a series than an FF spinoff is (I liked some of the opportunities that games like VS, Chrono, PE, etc. had for expansion and variation), and two, with FF spinoffs as plentiful as they are a new IP is more likely to go into totally crazy new areas (the way IAWW does).

I would absolutely like to see some more new IPs from them here, too, but at least we've already got one so far (IAWW, which looks great in the new scans).

Yeah, it does. I've always thought that Nomura was given a little too much shit. He's unsteady at best as a director and some of his trademarks (i.e. belts) have reached the played-out stage, but he's really an excellent designer and his stuff for IAWW is amazing.

Top Bottom