• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Boom Blox Thread of Epic Steven Spielberg Productions on Wii

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
There's no option in the game explicitly, when you choose save you can only choose a name. All the files are grouped as one “BOOM BLOX” on the Wii Memory Management, too.

batbeg

McBacon said:
There's no option in the game explicitly, when you choose save you can only choose a name. All the files are grouped as one “BOOM BLOX” on the Wii Memory Management, too.

Blah, lame. Seems like we'll be doing a lot of Friend Code exchanging for this game. Sigh... time to go order a LAN adapter.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
batbeg said:
Blah, lame. Seems like we'll be doing a lot of Friend Code exchanging for this game. Sigh... time to go order a LAN adapter.

On the up side, I went "Share" and it listed my Wii friends, no need for an extra Boom Blox friend code :)

Christine

AstroLad said:
That's a good point. Although my desire to support indie development is counterbalanced by the fierce nationalism Europe not getting screwed on this game's pricing has ignited within me. U-S-A! U-S-A!

Oh jeez, I'm crying here. :lol

Stars and Stripes forever!

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
McBacon said:
On the up side, I went "Share" and it listed my Wii friends, no need for an extra Boom Blox friend code :)
that seems to be the norm now in the user-content-enabled wii games. first elebits, then dewy, and now boom blox - they all seem to work smoothly with your wii FCs, no more, no less. not complaining here as it has been working ok for me.

*has a lan adapter* :p

batbeg

blu said:
*has a lan adapter* :p

I hate you. I need to buy one but my paypal isn't working and I can't fix it until I go home from university ;_; Oh well, it'll give me time to make some bitchin' levels and destroy everyone else.

Fladam

Souldriver said:
What is the purpose of posts like these. GTA and bloom Blox aren't even in the slightest comparable.

Well, obviously. But the fact that a minimally-hyped, casual, Wii game scored the same as GTAIV is mildly amusing to me.

batbeg

Kilrogg said:
So, do we know if sharing levels between American and European people is possible?

I was told Elebits can, so I'm assuming (hoping) this can as well. Be pretty lame if not, I mean, it's just using the WC24 feature...

batbeg

Kotaku's review seems to be different from everyone else :lol They talk about how awesome the single player is but how much they hate the multiplayer.

Edit: And Games Radar have put theirs up as well, 9 out of 10!

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I've got $25 in GS credit. I think I'll stop by tomorrow and see if this one's available. :)

batbeg

Amir0x said:

Ban this filth

Haha, I hope you realize there's yet to be a site that hasn't mentioned Jenga.

And, to be fair, there is a Jenga mode in the game, it's just not the main mode.

batbeg

Yahoo Games review is in as well, 5/5.

Pros:
Lots of modes; Entertaining physics; Cute animals give it charm; Powerful puzzle builder

Cons:
Unlockable single-player stuff might frustrate some players; Not all the modes are winners

Also, kind of lame (not that I wasn't going to do single player first anyway):

There's also an ambitious and incredibly flexible building mode, although you won't get full access to it until you've played through a good deal of the single-player content.

And for Amir0x:

Whether it's the Jenga mode, taking turns knocking gems off each others' destructible castle walls, or bringing down a tower together in the cooperative challenges, BOOM BLOX is one of the most gratifying jump-in-and-play games you can get on the Nintendo Wii. Don't knock it down 'til you've tried it.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Goddamn it..these reviews are making this game sooooooo tempting

batbeg

I never understand IGN. The way the text reads, and their impressions leading up to the review, an 8.0 for the gameplay seems fairly surprising.

I'm happy it's reviewing so well :D Unfortunately, it probably will be ignored for the most part (just look at how some idiots treat it on IGN's own site - "NOBODY CARES!"), but hopefully this reviews will push more people towards buying it! I can't wait to see what some people on here come up with for the levels.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Struct09 said:
You're challenged to disassemble, rearrange or completely destroy a series of Jenga-like block constructions by any means necessary -- with baseballs, with bowling balls, with lasers and bombs; the list goes on and on and on.
Jenga, for example, with its clumsy controls and stupid physics, didn't survive the transition to Wii.
Picture a giant Jenga-like puzzle, each block featuring a unique point value.

Three "Jenga"s!

Ydahs

It's getting some really impressive reviews. Three full scores, a nine and an eight.

I unfortunately can't get it for another month or so, but I'm sure as hell hyped up for it.

Ramenman

Wow, this game really has awesome scores ! I knew it was a sleeper since the beginning, but still I wasn't expecting it to be so welcomed by the videogame press.

I thought of it more in an Excite Truck way, not-too enthusiastic reviews but a lot of fans.

Glad to see it probably won't go unnoticed.

I didn't see anyone talking about the preorder gift :

65730.jpg

Saw it here.

Actually it's not even a preorder gift, it's an order gift for the first buyers.

The Penny Arcade strip is even more interesting now.

I've seen it when i ordered but i don't realy know if i'll get it. Most of time I order online the order gift surprisingly disapear (¬_¬)
I'll probably have mine by saturday morning. Can't wait to try this :D

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Picked it up today along with Orange Box (PC). Impressions when I get home ~~8-10hrs from now

legend166

Lobster said:
64 dollars at JB-Hi-Fi in Australia.

Might buy it tomorrow :D

Oh crap, really?

Man, I should be saving money but it's so tempting. I told myself I wasn't going to buy any more games until I finished off my backlog of RE4 and Z&W.

Someone give me $60.

Christine

Ramenman said:
65730.jpg

Actually it's not even a preorder gift, it's an order gift for the first buyers.

Damn, I was interested until I saw this. I'm not going to take the risk - it's just a game, after all. Not worth losing an eye over.

The trailer for this is the first thing I watched on the Nintendo channel this morning. Looks damned good. I'll be picking it up ASAP.

Mejilan

Game's pretty effin' great so far. Got golds on all of the training missions (very easy), and now I'm golding and silvering some adventure mode stages. Good shit so far!

Davidion

Mejilan said:
Game's pretty effin' great so far. Got golds on all of the training missions (very easy), and now I'm golding and silvering some adventure mode stages. Good shit so far!

Tell us more please, thank you.

batbeg

Nice :)

The website I got mine off of says "shipping now", but I've not had an e-mail if mine has personally shipped. Hope so!

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Good stuff so far, although getting Gold on some puzzles seems more like a case of trying various stuff and getting a bit lucky.

Once I've unlocked a few more stuff I'm off to making penis-shaped and goatse puzzles!

Mejilan

Golds aren't too difficult so far. Though it's hard to tell if it's a matter of me actually learning more and more about the physics or just getting lucky. It's damn fun either way.

I love flicking a solitary power shot and watching how much extended, structured chaos I can unleash with a minimum of action!

Edit - Pacing's pretty off so far. Some of the early puzzles take me 4-10x to get the gold (though I can usually get the silver on the first try), and then the puzzle right after is simple and obvious, and the gold is secured in one go.

Mejilan

Left the Adventure mode (got all golds on one entire set of stages) for the explorer mode, and man, if nothing else, these simpler puzzles give you a grand appreciate that the physics in this game are NOT faked. Excellent stuff! :D

batbeg

Mejilan said:
Edit - Pacing's pretty off so far. Some of the early puzzles take me 4-10x to get the gold (though I can usually get the silver on the first try), and then the puzzle right after is simple and obvious, and the gold is secured in one go.

I don't think that would bother me too much... N was like that for the most part. Often it just made me feel relieved :lol

Anyway, holy shit at this Business Week Review. 4.5/5, but they sum it up in quite a bold way:

The Good: Engrossing realistic physics. Precise motion controls. Cheeky graphics.
The Bad: None. Really.
The Bottom Line: The best casual gaming has to offer and possibly the best Wii title yet.

:O

Edit: I have such an awesome idea for a level to make. Also, apparently this is in the Wii's top 10 reviewed titles. Very happy for it :)

fresquito

So the best Wii title yet is only a 4.5/5? :lol

No, it's not the best Wii title yet, but it makes a great use of the wiimote and it's pretty entertaining.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
fresquito said:
So the best Wii title yet is only a 4.5/5? :lol

No, it's not the best Wii title yet, but it makes a great use of the wiimote and it's pretty entertaining.

What?

Haunted

Mejilan said:
Left the Adventure mode (got all golds on one entire set of stages) for the explorer mode, and man, if nothing else, these simpler puzzles give you a grand appreciate that the physics in this game are NOT faked. Excellent stuff! :D
What does this mean?

batbeg said:
Edit: I have such an awesome idea for a level to make.
Sorry, tempy's already got a lock on the penis level.

Yes Boss!

Eteric Rice said:
No widescreen? :O

Bought it btw. I'm not part of the problem!

Yeah, it is widescreen but slightly window-boxed. Actually looks great on an HDTV. This game is slickly polished and they crank up the rumble and make ample use of the speaker.

fresquito

sp0rsk said:
Was only replaying to the former post.

At first I wasn't too excited about the grabing mode, but know I think it's really good. Although I still think the controls are way too sensitive for my taste. Both for aiming and for grabing.

Top Bottom