• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Symphonia: KoR new Trailer

There are also some tidbits I thought were somewhat interesting, from the official blog of the game :

-they ditched the purely waggle-to-attack battle system because from their experiments, they found out that it was too tiring. Instead, they choosed to map the regular attack to the Wiimote buttons, and to offer two different options to pull off special techniques (aka ougis) : the purely buttons based one (mapped to the four directions of the D-Pad) and the motion based one, which implies to swing the Wiimote or the Nunchuk vertically or horizontally to pull off the four differents ougis which are mapped on each sense and on each controller.

-about the play style of the protagonists : Emil is mostly aerial based. He can send the enemy upward and connect aerial attacks (by pushing the control stick and hitting the A button with good timing). The skills that Emil learn also influence enormously his aerial offense.Thus, you can easily disturb the enemy and pull off more than 20 hits with a single combo, but you better not let your guard down when comes the time to land.
When it comes to Marta, she is specialized in ground attacks, as well as healing and holy magics. At first glance, she is the typical back up character, serving to protect and heal the Knight, but the director insists that she is in fact pretty much as powerful as Emil, and perfectly serviceable as a main.

There is also an entry by Daigo Okumura, on, essentially, how difficult it was to be the main character designer for a Tales of game, and to actually redesign the old characters so they could fit the new design [while retaining their old, iconic design], with as an example :

080520_1.jpg

and an entirely new character :

080520_2b.jpg

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Stormbringer said:
There is also an entry by Daigo Okumura, on, essentially, how difficult it was to be the main character designer for a Tales of game, and to actually redesign the old characters so they could fit the new design, with, as an example :
And yet they still didn't give them new clothes/designs? ::facepalm::

grandjedi6 said:
And yet they still didn't give them new clothes/designs? ::facepalm::
I'm think the fact that they would retain their iconic design was also pretty important for most fans, and a rather important part of the fan service. At least I think so.

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
Stormbringer said:
I'm think the fact that they would retain their iconic design was also pretty important for most fans, and a rather important part of the fan service. At least I think so.

True too. But who's to say that they won't have new alternative outfits either? We don't really know now, do we?

Anyways, despite the poor showing from My Arms Your Hearse
you stink
I noticed we approach the game in very different aspects. In battles I focus on general brawling with a mix of regular magic and skills, I tested the Fof system and didn't like it, and I never use the character's specials. As for the story and characters i simply found Symphonia's cast much more enjoyable, and the plot was faaaaaar better paced in Symphonia, even though it was very cliche/predictable. I found Abyss's characters more annoying (Jade and miss dolly just irked me, and I really didn't care for the God Generals much more than Symphonia's generals
they were more detailed, but still lacking much in their personas IMHO
, and the horrendous pace of the story (however interesting) made me drop the game several times for a week or so to play other games, a problem I rarely encounter in jrpg's.

Btw, I don't argue that Lloyd had the least personality change in Symphonia, but I actually think it was unnecessary in the first place. Think of those silly "Dwarven vows" and how it related to Lloyd in the game, and what DID change in Lloyd during the course of the game (hint : not his personality or his beliefs, obviously).
A NeoGAF cookie to whoever figures out what I mean

GamerSoul

Stormbringer said:
-about the play style of the protagonists : Emil is mostly aerial based. He can send the enemy upward and connect aerial attacks (by pushing the control stick and hitting the A button with good timing). The skills that Emil learn also influence enormously his aerial offensiveness.Thus, you can easily disturb the enemy and pull off more than 20 hits with a single combo, but you better not let your guard down when comes the time to land.
When it comes to Marta, she is specialized in ground attacks, as well as healing and holy magics. At first glance, she is the typical back up character, serving to protect and heal the Knight, but the director insists that she is in fact pretty much as powerful as Emil, and perfectly serviceable as a main.

:D :D thank you for the translation. Marta looks to be an amazing character, please let her have some of Farah's moves.

Joule

GamerSoul said:
:D :D thank you for the translation. Marta looks to be an amazing character, please let her have some of Farah's moves.

That would be amazing. Farah's my favourite Tales brawler and with good reason. She was really fun to play with good skills too.

Regal needs a change of clothes. Iconic design or not, he needs some new threads. He's not exactly repenting in a prison anymore. I'm sure like in Soul Calibur IV, alternate costumes will save us all. Regal should actually be the Farah-like character if he actually used his hands, now that he's not bound to only his legs anymore. I doubt that will happen.

@vanguardian1, give me a hint. It's been a while since ToS.

Innotech

Banned
Rpgmonkey said:
With the exception of Vesperia, every localized Tales game has had a different opening from the Japanese opening, or cut out the Japanese vocals of the song.

With the exception of Legendia, this game, Radiant Mythology (IIRC), and Vesperia, every localized Tales game has either had skits (little discussions between the party and NPCs that happen to be with them, that may have little to do with the current goal) cut from the game or they were unvoiced.

With the exception of Destiny, which still had the Japanese voices in battles in the English version, none of the localized Tales games have used or included the Japanese voices.

I think they were reworking the current opening song of this into something different, and they haven't shown much interest in including the Japanese voices in this game or Vesperia from what I've seen, so it's looking pretty unlikely that the opening song will be kept intact from the original or that they'll include the Japanese voicework.
thats pretty shitty, because the great song and cute voice acting are what attract me to this. I dont really understand why they change this stuff. Its not like the people who buy into this sort of game dont appreciate Japanese culture or language.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
reriel said:
new ? we have already saw her many time. Her name is Alice.

She's new to the game. As in, she wasn't in Tales of Symphonia.

Datschge

Stormbringer said:
It's interesting to see that this and the Vesperia blogs are more open with regard to the people involved. The above picture is credited to Furukawa of Tales Studio (most likely Asao Furukawa who's doing the cut in character graphics since TotA). Likewise the Vesperia blog has Kenji Anabuki (ToS script editor, level design, TotA dungeon concept design) discuss the battle design and Yuko Kajihara (TotA dungeon graphic design) discuss the new field graphics. The four Veperia scenario staffs were also mentioned before. I remain puzzled who's that ToS-R director Sato though (pretty generic last name, I hope it's Katsutoshi Sato who's a long time Tales Studio programmer).

Sagitario

Datschge said:
It's interesting to see that this and the Vesperia blogs are more open with regard to the people involved. The above picture is credited to Furukawa of Tales Studio (most likely Asao Furukawa who's doing the cut in character graphics since TotA). Likewise the Vesperia blog has Kenji Anabuki (ToS script editor, level design, TotA dungeon concept design) discuss the battle design and Yuko Kajihara (TotA dungeon graphic design) discuss the new field graphics. The four Veperia scenario staffs were also mentioned before. I remain puzzled who's that ToS-R director Sato though (pretty generic last name, I hope it's Katsutoshi Sato who's a long time Tales Studio programmer).

I really love the fact the you know your Tales stuff so well... puts a lot of users into shame :D ...

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I dig Okumura's work more and more. Loved that first splash picture with all the characters and this one:

main_bg.jpg

And I think I'm the only one who likes Emil, lolz.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Alaluef said:
I dig Okumura's work more and more. Loved that first splash picture with all the characters and this one:

And I think I'm the only one who likes Emil, lolz.[/QUOTE]

He's actually becoming one of my favorite protagonists.

GamerSoul said:
Joule said:
That would be amazing. Farah's my favourite Tales brawler and with good reason. She was really fun to play with good skills too.
Oh hell yes ; I, too, instantly thought of Farah when I read this. If her skills and attack power are anything like her, Marta's indeed bound to be an awesome character.

Datschge said:
Oh, thanks for these infos ! I indeed have the impression that not so long ago, it was a bit more rare to have someone from the staff of a Tales game to come out of the dark to give his impressions on his involvement... Not sure why Ban-Nam suddenly decided shift gears, but that can only be a good thing for the fans.

Jiggy

Stormbringer said:
-they ditched the purely waggle-to-attack battle system because from their experiments, they found out that it was too tiring.
You know... I could almost, almost imagine this working on DS thanks to The World Ends With You (though Tales is more complicated than even that), but on Wii I can't fathom it being possible. Not accurate enough and, yeah, I could see how it would be really tiring.

Instead, they choosed to map the regular attack to the Wiimote buttons, and to offer two different options to pull off special techniques (aka ougis) : the purely buttons based one (mapped to the four directions of the D-Pad) and the motion based one, which implies to swing the Wiimote or the Nunchuk vertically or horizontally to pull off the four differents ougis which are mapped on each sense and on each controller.
I hope this doesn't mean there's no classic controller support. D:

-about the play style of the protagonists : Emil is mostly aerial based. He can send the enemy upward and connect aerial attacks (by pushing the control stick and hitting the A button with good timing). The skills that Emil learn also influence enormously his aerial offense.Thus, you can easily disturb the enemy and pull off more than 20 hits with a single combo, but you better not let your guard down when comes the time to land.
Hmm. On the one hand, air-based characters are my favorite kind in any game. On the other, Emil's a sword user and doesn't appeal to me much (though he's certainly not in the negative realm like Lloyd; I kind of like the idea of a wimp protagonist), while Marta does appeal to me from everything she's seemed to be saying so far, and from the comparisons to Farah in here.

In any case, I guess I'll just sit back and be happy with the idea of both characters being viable to play. Choice FTW, and all that!

vanguardian1 said:
Btw, I don't argue that Lloyd had the least personality change in Symphonia, but I actually think it was unnecessary in the first place.
Same. Putting aside that I really don't like Lloyd at all, his character was fine. A story's going to head either in the direction that a character influences the outside world or that the outside world influences a character, and I'm all for either angle. (And, of course, story arcs that incorporate both elements are great as well.)

Joule said:

Regal needs a change of clothes. Iconic design or not, he needs some new threads. He's not exactly repenting in a prison anymore. I'm sure like in Soul Calibur IV, alternate costumes will save us all. Regal should actually be the Farah-like character if he actually used his hands, now that he's not bound to only his legs anymore. I doubt that will happen.

@vanguardian1, give me a hint. It's been a while since ToS.

Only if they change how stat boosts work in this game (Maybe they have, I don't know). Tying in stat boosts to your title is a bad way to do things, given that the best stat-boosting titles in ToS don't alter your atrocious look, while most that do offer ZERO stats. Capacity Cores, for example, were a much better way of doing this.

Prax

vanguardian1 said:
True too. But who's to say that they won't have new alternative outfits either? We don't really know now, do we?

Anyways, despite the poor showing from My Arms Your Hearse
you stink
I noticed we approach the game in very different aspects. In battles I focus on general brawling with a mix of regular magic and skills, I tested the Fof system and didn't like it, and I never use the character's specials. As for the story and characters i simply found Symphonia's cast much more enjoyable, and the plot was faaaaaar better paced in Symphonia, even though it was very cliche/predictable. I found Abyss's characters more annoying (Jade and miss dolly just irked me, and I really didn't care for the God Generals much more than Symphonia's generals
they were more detailed, but still lacking much in their personas IMHO
, and the horrendous pace of the story (however interesting) made me drop the game several times for a week or so to play other games, a problem I rarely encounter in jrpg's.

Btw, I don't argue that Lloyd had the least personality change in Symphonia, but I actually think it was unnecessary in the first place. Think of those silly "Dwarven vows" and how it related to Lloyd in the game, and what DID change in Lloyd during the course of the game (hint : not his personality or his beliefs, obviously).
A NeoGAF cookie to whoever figures out what I mean

You hate Jade and Anise too and think ToA's pacing is messed up and thet theGod Generals are meh-ish too?! Awesome!! ++

I really enjoyed ToS's younger cast and story much more than ToA, even though the FoF system was fun to work with. Something similar better be there for this game... Maybe some kind of combination system with the monsters.

I was also worried I would hate Emil and Marta, because he seemed like a whiny wuss and she seemed like a clingy priss at first, but they are turning out to be pretty likeable for me (the fact that although Marta wanted Emil to be her "prince" yet accepts him for who he is anyway because he's a good person is cool). This type of scene better be in the game:
Badguy that kidnapped Marta: Ha, you think your prince is going to come save you now?!
Marta: No, he probably won't come save me without me there telling him to.. that coward. lol
*Emil comes in to save Marta*
Marta: I knew you'd come to save me!
Emil: R-really?
Marta: No, not really, but thanks for coming anyway!

:D

I used to play Raine most in ToS, and since Marta's healing and holy also, I guess it'll be an easy transition to her, except that I'll get to kick butt more with actual weapon abilities! Yay!

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
Farore said:

D'oh!

I've been following this thread the whole time, how in the world did I miss that every time?!?!? ;__;

Joule -
Lloyd's character are already set up around the ideals of the dwarven vows that are referred to at many points in the game (if they had used it once or twice at the beginning of the game, I could easily see it being dismissed totally). What changes exist within Lloyd during his journey are his reasons and understanding of those vows, and his "commitment", if you will, of the ideas that they represent.

GamerSoul

Ydahs said:
There's hate towards him? Why?

I just don't like that thing he's wearing for a shirt. But he makes up for it by being a crazy-ass beast in battle. :D

I'm suprised no one has talked about Richter, I'm already having a tough time trusting him.

My Arms Your Hearse said:
Only if they change how stat boosts work in this game

None of the following Tales games used the same (yes, rather borked) ToS system: ToL titles gave straight up stat boosts (sucked because they weren't percentages so they were all pointless after a while) and TotA titles gave a variety of misc. benefits in battle and on the world map. I doubt KoR will go back to Symphonia's.

Jiggy

Farore said:
So... has the release date been confirmed?

I'm reading November 15-19th, with the great price of $40 :D ...
I know IGN has been floating that November release and the $40 price point. And if you had just said "November 15th," I would figure you read some kind of placeholder date somewhere, since I've seen online stores put up that or the 30th.
But I really have to ask: where'd you hear that specific range of November 15th-19th? o_O

Anyway...
Does anyone happen to know where I could find Pow Hammer sprites from Phantasia or the skit faces from Symphonia? I've got some ideas floating around in my mind for whenever it comes time to make the official thread, like a Q&A session covering all of the most important aspects that people need to know in comparison/contrast to any expectations they might have coming directly from Symphonia (such as how long Colette stays in the party how many dress-up games can be played with alternate outfits how the map and the monsters work), but I would need those first or the whole thing falls apart. Not sure I'd want to be the one to make that thread anyway, especially if people are going to shoot for one straight after the Japanese release (since I can't play it in Japanese ;_;), but I could pass my ideas along to whoever does. ^^

Here's a section break I made randomly... I won't claim that I edited it well--but maybe somebody could clean it up if they like it, I don't know:

talesline.gif

The blue line is just a straight pencil tool paint job, and the edges are a (probably poorly) modified version of part of the pattern on those thingywhatsits that Colette wears over her dress.

Sagitario

The November 15th date is Amazon's, CDUniverse has it for the 19th... the price in both stores is $40...

sysMonster_9.jpg

sysMonster_10.jpg

sysMonster_11.jpg

sysMonster_4.jpg

sysBattle_11.jpg

sysBattle_12.jpg

I'm really liking this game interface...

sysMonster_7.jpg
->
sysMonster_8.jpg

Nice evolution?

Seriously, this is coming along really nicely...so much improvement over the first screens...
sysMonsterIntro_2.jpg

sysMonsterIntro_6.jpg

sysMonsterIntro_5.jpg

New non-recycled monsters... YAY!
sysMonsterIntro_8.jpg

sysMonsterIntro_9.jpg

sysMonsterIntro_12.jpg

sysBattle_3.jpg

sysBattle_4.jpg

sysBattle_5.jpg

sysBattle_6.jpg

sysBattle_9.jpg

sysBattle_10.jpg

sysBattle_14.jpg

sysBattle_15.jpg

sysBattle_16.jpg

sysBattle_18.jpg

sysBattle_19.jpg

sysBattle_20.jpg

sysBattle_22.jpg
(he looks mad! :p)
sysBattle_26.jpg

sysBattle_32.jpg

batbeg

...and now the new screens have me hyped again :D

Is that a real evolution? If so... all your stats and levels go down if they "evolve"? :(

Sagitario

batbeg, probably not :p ...

Jiggy37 said:
Does anyone happen to know where I could find Pow Hammer sprites from Phantasia or the skit faces from Symphonia?
Here's a section break I made randomly... I won't claim that I edited it well--but maybe somebody could clean it up if they like it, I don't know:

talesline.gif

I don't like the section break... sorry...
I believe I've the animated GIFs [somewhere in my old PC] of all the ToS skits that once were posted on the Tales Channel... I'll search for them later...

Updated map:
sysMove_1.jpg

New dungeon:
sysMove_2.jpg

Updated old location:
sysMove_3.jpg

And more menus:
sysSynthesis_1.jpg

sysSynthesis_2.jpg

sysSynthesis_3.jpg

Nice:
sysQuest_3.jpg

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
This is starting to look really good, looks better than any other Tales spin-off.

Ydahs

Okay, now that looks awesome. Looks much better than TotA. Looks like a lot of effort is being put into it!

Alex

Looks great, new character designs look slick and so does the map; much preferable to the clunky, barren overworlds of past Tales titles.

For the sake of saying so though, Collette is the worst Tales character of all time, by a truly massive level.

botticus

Farore said:
So... has the release date been confirmed?

I'm reading November 15-19th, with the great price of $40 :D ...
Amazon needs to update my ship date again then. Used to be mid-November, then it got pushed back to November 30, and now they do indeed have it listed at 11/15. Mine's still scheduled to ship 12/3.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Wow, haven't been paying much attention to this game, but it sure looks much improved from the first screens.

Dascu

Holy shit, those new screens look a lot better. A pity they still have those godawful circle shadows though.

I don't want to buy another Tales game after the abomination of ToS, but this game actually looks like a decent 3rd party Wii game which I should support. Fuck.

Sadist

^ This is guy is right. Looks like a updated Temple of Darkness.

But, I have to say this game is looking really promissing. Do want. But where is my Eurodate? :(

Top Bottom