• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overlord Dark Legend for the Wii

volmer

The trailer is also up on IGN. Clicky.

Looks like a quality effort. Also, I am pleased to see a Wii developer finally making extensive use of shadow mapping in their game. Huge props to them for not taking the common route. More of this, please.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
this game is so mine

please have good framerate, please have good framerate, please have good framerate..

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
The Minions are the best part of the game, you get attached to them, it gets even worse when they start picking up unique items like a bosses crown, only for the Minion to die.

wsippel

Banned
Looks fun, I really loved the first Overlord. And quite impressive - especially considering Climax isn't exactly a AAA developer. I'm really interested in seeing that new Wii exclusive survival horror game they're doing for Konami.

wsippel said:
Looks fun - I loved the first Overlord. And quite impressive - especially considering Climax isn't exactly a AAA developer. I'm really interested in seeing that new Wii exclusive survival horror game they're doing for Konami.

Eh? I haven't heard of that game.

wsippel said:
Looks fun, I really loved the first Overlord. And quite impressive - especially considering Climax isn't exactly a AAA developer. I'm really interested in seeing that new Wii exclusive survival horror game they're doing for Konami.

Probably a Silent Hill game... they developed Origins, after all, and that would fit pretty well with Matt C. saying last December that Konami was doing a Wii installment of one of their major IPs.

The fact that it's Wii/PSP multiplatform is a bit troubling, though.

Sadist

wsippel said:
Looks at history... sees Konami... sees it will be an horror game... sees Silent Hill Origins.

:lol I'm going to laugh soooo hard if it turns out to be Silent Hill. Didn't one of the big wigs at Konami thought that Silent Hill wouldn't be a good fit for the Wii?

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Sadist said:
Didn't one of the big wigs at Konami thought that Silent Hill wouldn't be a good fit for the Wii?
It was Yamaoka, he said grandmas wouldn't play Silent Hill.

Cow Mengde said:
Wait, so this game isn't a first person on-rails shooter?
No, but it has some awesome shaders.

Jocchan said:
It was Yamaoka, he said grandmas wouldn't play Silent Hill.

Actually, that was Masahi Tsuboyoma, in a different interview (which may or may not have been legit; it didn't read like most Japanese magazine interviews I've seen).

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Father_Brain said:
Actually, that was Masahi Tsuboyoma, in a different interview (which may or may not have been legit; it didn't read like most Japanese magazine interviews I've seen).
You're right, I must have mixed them up:
Masashi Tsuboyama said:
Tsuboyama-san: The Xbox 360 is definatly a candidate. However the sales are Japan are unimpressive. It does have a large installed based in the West though which will be looked at. While Nintendo Wii sales are very high, and i applaude Nintendo for their sucess, I dont think Silent Hill is a game that would be sold on Nintendo Wii as much as a game like Zelda would worldwide. This by no means says we will not consider the idea but the general opinion is that Wii is for family games and im sure the fans don't play Silent Hill with their grandma!
Source: http://www.gamespot.com/pages/unions/read_article.php?topic_id=25667665&union_id=9877&print=1

later

Two more gameplay vids on IGN:

http://wii.ign.com/dor/objects/14273777/overlord-dark-legend/videos/overlordwii_kamikaze_021909.html
http://wii.ign.com/dor/objects/14273777/overlord-dark-legend/videos/overlordwii_bridge_021909.html

Some images:

overlord-dark-legend-20090220114712299_640w.jpg

overlord-dark-legend-20090220114725658_640w.jpg

overlord-dark-legend-20090220114717783_640w.jpg

wsippel

Banned
Sadist said:
Do you know for sure it's a survival horror title?
A few weeks/ months ago, their website stated that they had two unannouned games in development, both for Konami. One for Wii and one for PS3 and Xbox360. Their company profile back then stated that they were working on some great new PS360 title for Konami, as well as an unannounced horror game. Pretty obvious, isn't it?

YourMaster

rezuth said:
Yes! Its like Dungeon Keeper except more focus on RPG rather than base building. If you have a PC the game costs like 20 bucks for it. Awesome game, one of the best I played last year.
It feels like if Bullfrog made the game :)

I love Dungeon Keeper, but sadly this is no Dungeon Keeper. The only similarity is the "good to be bad theme". Apart from that, this is just pikmin. No base building, no training, no torturing, no wide selection of original minions.

What was a real letdown for me was that there where just 4 different minions that only differed in color and attack. I would have loved to invade the land with a horde of dungeon beasts, in stead I got to have a bunch of gremlins upset some corrupt landlords.

rezuth

later said:
Wow, no pop-in and stable framerate... Awesome!
YourMaster said:
I love Dungeon Keeper, but sadly this is no Dungeon Keeper. The only similarity is the "good to be bad theme". Apart from that, this is just pikmin. No base building, no training, no torturing, no wide selection of original minions.

What was a real letdown for me was that there where just 4 different minions that only differed in color and attack. I would have loved to invade the land with a horde of dungeon beasts, in stead I got to have a bunch of gremlins upset some corrupt landlords.
If you mean base building in the sense that you have to press a button on the UI and drop something down, then no. Torture is in the game aswell but okay no original minions or wide selection.

YourMaster

Base building in the sense that you actually design your own base and use that in a strategic way during gameplay.

What I liked about DK torturing was not to inflict pain, but use the enemies losses to strengthen my own army.

The game is more and more reminding me a of a game called Sacrifice (which is very awesome btw) minus the base building i suppose.

I will pick this up when I get through my huge backlog of games

Ydahs

Very impressive visuals and it looks like it could be a fun game. Another quality title in the growing Wii lineup?

I don't know if I'll but it day one, but it certainly is a game I'll keep my eye on.

flipping_heck said:
The game is more and more reminding me a of a game called Sacrifice (which is very awesome btw) minus the base building i suppose.

I will pick this up when I get through my huge backlog of games
Yeah, we talked about that before. Sacrifice is awesome.

My only concern is, that the minions are it? No other ones that you can summon like in Sacrifice?

IGN has a new hands on:
http://wii.ign.com/articles/955/955882p1.html

The first thing you'll notice is that the game looks really good. The Overlord wreaks havoc through lush, expansive environments, the game runs in widescreen, and the character animation is very realistic. To put things in perspective, the other IGN Xbox and PC editors at the event all stopped to look at Overlord: Dark Legend and said, "man, this looks really good." This is one of the prettier Wii games we've seen.

Several well known fairytale characters make appearances in Dark Legend, but they are presented with that quirky Overlord twist. Little Red Riding Hood, Hansel & Gretel, and the Gingerbread Man are here, but a little more sinister than you may remember. We don't have a lot of detail about the story, yet, but we know it will show how the Overlord came to be. An early cut scene we saw showed a skinny kid stepping into the familiar armor of the despot. The same voice actors from the first game are on board, so we can expect to see some characters return.

Playing the game, it was obvious the developers designed the controls for the Wii. While the analog stick moves the Overlord, the pointer function of your remote will direct your minions and spells. Basically, the B button will send minions and the A button will call them back to your side. Tapping left and right on the D-pad will cycle through your minion types, and down will select them all. Up on the D-pad will activate your spells. Using pointer controls makes it easier to send minions to multiple locations. You can also hold down the B button and then point to sweep all your selected minions at once.

You can center the camera by tapping the C button, or hold it down to fix it behind you. Players can choose to perform a melee attack by pressing the Z button or waggling the nunchuk -- an obvious choice.

The minions of Dark Legend possess a new ability not found in the first game. By holding the A and B button and giving your remote a shake, you can throttle a minion and light their fuse, so to speak. Then let go and they'll run off, only to explode in a few seconds.

Your posse will also find a greater variety of scavenged items around the game world. Instead of just pots and pans or pumpkin shells, they'll pick up zany hats like sombreros or chef caps.

There are four colors of minions, and each has unique abilities. Brown minions are your grunt soldiers; red throw fireballs and are immune to heat; blue can wade through water; green are immune to poison gas. Each color also has a unique bomb effect that can be used to clear obstacles. Certain vines are susceptible to flames, for instance, so sending a red minion on a suicide mission will burn them away.

On the 360, PC, and PS3 the Overlord's minion cap is 50. Here on the Wii, because of less processing power, that cap is currently at 25. The developers are tweaking the game to see if they can't raise that number a tad.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Wish it was

Overlord : Overlord Dark Legend :: Dead Space : Dead Space Extraction

:(

Clarification: This situation is what Dead Space should have been like.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
AceBandage said:
I think it was a sambreo.
Don't have time to watch it again but it looked like a giant mushroom cap. Similar to the Jack-O-Lantern helmets the minions wore in the first game.

Zihark

Andrex said:
Wish it was

Overlord : Overlord Dark Legend :: Dead Space : Dead Space Extraction

:(

Clarification: This situation is what Dead Space should have been like.
Geez, don't mess up this thread by bringing in that stuff, there's another thread for dse.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Zihark said:
Geez, don't mess up this thread by bringing in that stuff, there's another thread for dse.

My depression and angst permeate every thread I see. :(

Top Bottom