• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Punch-Out Trailer (Wii)

MoogPaul

13 Boxers, a bunch get used twice with harder patterns (I would assume this would still be the case), probably 5 circuits with 4 boxers each or 4 circuits with 5 boxers. 2 player mode, hopefully leader boards for lowest time, (because of the developer) there will be some sort of wifi play, and practice mode against any boxer you want would round out the title fairly nicely.

It would be really good if they had a create a boxer feature - not for yourself to play, but for other people around the world download to play against.

With the wiimote you could design the character style/speed/strength and the pattern which your boxer will fight. You could then could get statistics back to see the win/lose ratio your boxer has over other people.

pakkit

Banned
RubxQub said:
That must be the least energetic version of the Punch-Out theme I've ever heard. What a pile a crap.
Get the fuck out.

As far as "create-a-boxer" mode, I'll be surprised if Miis don't make it in the game.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Jaded Alyx said:
To be fair, Mario was in everything back then.

Like Qix for example. Why?

because he's mario and he's awesome. when i was a kid, it fucking delighted me to see mario branching out. he's a fucking renaissance man.

I want 3 Rounds.

the thing I hated about Super Punch out was that it was one 3:00 minute round, and if that expired you lost.

Go back to the 3 round decisions!

As much as I like the rounds I never found the 3 minute single round a bad thing. The time moved so fast PO that the matches felt about the same in both games.

rager

Banned
Uh, lets hope there are more characters in the wii game than this.

The arcade was a different beast because you had to put in money. Having a home version will need much more than 5 or so characters.

Online play?

Nicktals

Banned
Balance board? Geeze...Nintendo really needs to start selling these on their own, with so many games, with some great diversity among them, making use of the board. At the very least, bundle it with another game. If there are going to be core games that continue to use the board, why force me to buy a totally non core game? I don't have anything against Wii Fit, and in fact I'd like to have it. I just don't want to buy it. I'd buy the board for 50 bucks, or if they offered a Punch-Out/balance board SKU, I'd buy it day one. It just doesn't make sense that for people not interested in Wii Fit can't get the most out of hardcore games without buying wii fit, or searching for a used board.

Ugh.

Gwanatu T

Stumpokapow said:
erm, optionally. you can play it nes-style if you want

Why would you want to do that? I'll go play it on my NES again if I want that. The game is boring as hell otherwise. It's about damned time we got a good boxing game that has some depth.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Buttseckslol said:
Carl Winslow is back, bitch.
a4oa4l.jpg

Neomoto

Balance Board support is awesome! I can see myself having a lot of fun with that and motion controls hehe. What ain't so awesome is that I don't have a Balance Board.. hopefully there will be a pack-in with the game, but that is probably pretty unlikely. :(

Sephon

That vid really got something tickin' in me. I really hope they can bring the gameplay that made the first so satisfying.
Instantly after seen the vid I went to OCremix and search for punch out just to fuel the nostalgia even more.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Gwanatu T said:
Why would you want to do that? I'll go play it on my NES again if I want that. The game is boring as hell otherwise. It's about damned time we got a good boxing game that has some depth.

what do motion controls have to do with depth? immersion, yes, but not depth. motion controls in punch-out aren't about doing something that wasn't possible with conventional controls, they're about making something that was already possible more immersive.

the game is exactly as deep with motion controls as without.

Minsc

Gold Member
Bumblebeetuna said:
I'll bite at $20 or so. Anything more and no thanks.

Even with BB support, I'm thinking along these lines, and since it's a first party Nintendo game, price will probably never get that low.

Unless somehow, there's more than 2 hours of game to this, I really don't see spending $50 on it.

This is almost as bad as Animal Crossing. Ok not really, but 3 new people? They should have introduced like 15 new boxers. At least the graphics got a nice overhaul, unlike Animal Crossing.

Marvie_3

Banned
Punch-Out looks ridiculously fun. I wish they were having Carl Winslow do Doc's voice though.

Edit: Beaten because I didn't read the thread at all.... :lol

Bumblebeetuna said:

This is practically a 3D remake of Punch-Out! Maybe it should bite you back.

Grrrr, game length does not determine value.

Minsc said:
Even with BB support, I'm thinking along these lines, and since it's a first party Nintendo game, price will probably never get that low.

Unless somehow, there's more than 2 hours of game to this, I really don't see spending $50 on it.

This is almost as bad as Animal Crossing. Ok not really, but 3 new people? They should have introduced like 15 new boxers. At least the graphics got a nice overhaul, unlike Animal Crossing.

Wow, good job. I didn't know that there was a way to make Punch-Out sound like a bargain bin game. You (both) win.

I am actually looking forward to this. In fact, there are quite a few HD games that should be $20 at release. Want me to shit things up, too? No? Good. Let's get back to what's relevant, aka the fact that Punch-Out has made a COMEBACK. Hello!

Bumblebeetuna said:

Minsc said:

I hope neither one of you paid full price or anything more than 20 bucks for either Gears of War games.

dyls

Assuming both Soda Popinski and the "Little Mac Attack" are in the game, that is going to be one tiring-ass fight using the motion controls. I'm glad to hear you can hot-swap between the two schemes; I could see using NES-style controls until he's about to go down, then switching to motion for a dramatic finish.

adg1034

I'll be more than happy to drop full price on this, though I would love to see a bit more content in the game than what they've presented so far.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
MisterHero said:
I don't think Mario is the Ref anymore.

That said this game looks really great.
Hell, I'd be fine if they used the old school sprite that just walked in from the side, even if it didn't match well with the new look. :lol

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Looks so awesome. Graphics are ace, art style works perfectly, and the animations look slick as all fuck. If they actually got the motion controls down PAT, man, what a rush this game's gonna be. Still, classic controls will be a nice fall back.

MoogPaul

I don't think the motions controls will be a problem at all. According to IGN, it doesn't matter which way you move the remote/nunchuck or what direction or motion, just that a motion is made and you hold up on the analog to make your punches goto the head. This is also the reason why motion plus would have been useless in this game.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Yes, I read about it. Probably the smartest way to do it.

Basically:
Wiimote/Nunchuk motion = right/left body blows (reversible, I imagine)
Nunchuk stick left/right/down = dodge/duck
Motion + Nunchuk stick up = right/left head blows
Wiimote A button = star punch

Smells like a winner to me!

Top Bottom