• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

War Thunder released on PS4 (Europe/Australia)

androvsky

I am the source.

Let me try the rest of my post again, with minor edits.

Gaijin has published several games on PSN in the US, like Anarchy: Rush Hour and Skydive: Proximity Flight. Why is it with War Thunder they're suddenly unwilling to submit it to the ESRB?

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Why do you build me up Buttercup?

I will show myself the door now.
"I'll be over next week" you tell me time and again. But you're late, I wait around and then,
I run to the store, I can't take it anymore it's not you, you let me down again.

I will show my self out.

Don't know what Gaijins problem is but Boyes called them out on the patch excuse, so I'm not inclined to believe they're in the right here.

BigDug13

Can you play with PC gamers on PS4? If so, I'll get it day one. If not, I have zero interest.

Yes, the fact that they were allowed to make it crossplatform across PC and PS4 was the reason the game even made it onto PS4. Microsoft refused to allow crossplatform on XBO so Gaijin Entertainment said they will not ever be bringing War Thunder to XBO until that policy changes. Same thing happened to FF XIV.

coolasj19

2 different sources saying 2 different things. Do we need bish involvement in here?
It looks like we do. Though one source was a forum post, the other is using language as if he was under NDA. And really, knowing the real issue behind this would be of no harm to anyone. If our frustration is not directed at the right source for the right reasons I suggest our source clear it up.

Since as coolasj19 pointed out, what I have is extrapolated from forum posts/twitter (and subsequent deletions thereof) and some conversations with community managers. Obviously somebody with a NDA trumps that.

the other is using language as if he was under NDA.
I work as a game designer\programmer at Gaijin. I'm not a PR guy, so I'm not supposed to talk about this stuff in details.
I was just kinda bummed that people here started to believe that we are refusing to release US version for such stupid reason.

I work as a game designer\programmer at Gaijin. I'm not a PR guy, so I'm not supposed to talk about this stuff in details.
I was just kinda bummed that people here started to believe that we are refusing to release US version for such stupid reason.

Can you say if there will still be a US release?

That's not exactly what he said… Sounded more like, "Well, some games have tiny patches, so it's not Sony's problem."

Here's what I suspect is happening. Let's say you just bought a game that game out six months and has been patched three times. On PS3, before you can play, you need to download and install the patch that updates v1.0 to v1.1. Then you need to download and install the patch that updates v1.1 to v1.2. Then you need to download and install the patch that updates v1.2 to v1.3. This is a pretty tedious process, and Sony caught a lot of flak for it.

Fast forward to PS4, and Sony instead mandated "combo" patches, which would get the game to current, no matter which version was currently installed. Sounds like a great idea, but the problem comes for users who have been playing the game regularly and are already up to date. If v1.2 added/redid a bunch of textures, for example, those textures now need to be included in every patch going forward, even if you've already got v2.6 installed, because some users might've just bought the game and are on v1.0, or haven't played in a year and are on v1.1 or whatever.

What Sony need to do is require devs to support both patching methods. Release a delta patch that can take "most recent" to "current," and a combo patch that will bring any version to current.

So let's say a game is updated with a couple balancing and bug fixes, taking it from v1.4 to v1.5. If you already have v1.4 installed, you can download the 100KB delta patch that only updates the config files in question. If you have any version other than v1.4 installed, then you need the combo updater that includes the 2GB of textures which were added in v1.1, even if you already have v1.3 installed.

That said, while it's certainly kludgey, I don't see how the combo-updates-only policy "prevents" Gaijin from patching the game at all. Do they pay for the bandwidth on those patches, or do Sony?

*Oh, since you may be curious, the real reason War Thunder isn't on PSN in NA is that SCEA requires all games on PSN to be ESRB-rated, which Gaijin refuses to do, for some reason.
So, thinking we may be able to start a Kickstarter to raise the $1000 or whatever it takes to get certified, I googled for the cost of certification. The very first result was this Kotaku article about how the ESRB doesn't even charge for digital-only games to get rated.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, Gaijin??

Edit: Just saw Mamont's posts. Please see what you can do about getting us a straight answer. The evasiveness is damaging your brand. kthxbai

Seriously. It takes about 5 minutes to make a UK account. It took as much effort to type your post as it did to make another account and download it. I've been enjoying this since it launched.
I thought about doing that, but I was afraid it would mess something up once the game officially came to NA, so I've been holding off.

Though now, Gaijin are kinda sounding like a bunch of fuckups, so I'm not sure I wanna support them at all… =/

Can you say if there will still be a US release?
Yeah, we are working on it.

That said, while it's certainly kludgey, I don't see how the combo-updates-only policy "prevents" Gaijin from patching the game at all.
Such thing can cause problems for a cross-platform online game.
You have to keep all versions up to date at the same time. PC version of War Thunder, for example, gets patches on a weekly basis.

You have to keep all versions up to date at the same time. PC version of War Thunder, for example, gets patches on a weekly basis.
Right, and I realize the current system is an ever-growing monstrosity which will eventually devour the universe, but is there a reason you can't deliver a 500KB delta patch for the PC and a 7GB combo patch for the PS4? Is it just because of bandwidth costs? Who's paying for the bandwidth?

Any chance we'll see flight stick support soon?

I'm waiting for this update before purchasing one and putting cash into this game.

Yeah, we are working on it.

Good to hear. Is it close to coming out or does it need more time?

Right, and I realize the current system is an ever-growing monstrosity which will eventually devour the universe, but is there a reason you can't deliver a 500KB delta patch for the PC and a 7GB combo patch for the PS4?
It would be a shitty customer experience.
As I mentioned previously, there are weekly updates for PC version. So for cross-platform matching PS4 will also need those updates. I'm not sure anyone is willing to download 7GB patches on PS4 once (or twice) a week just to start this game. Not to mention people with bandwidth caps.

As I mentioned previously, there are weekly updates for PC version. So for cross-platform matching PS4 will also need those updates. I'm not sure anyone is willing to download 7GB patches on PS4 once (or twice) a week just to start this game. Not to mention people with bandwidth caps.
I hear you, and Sony definitely need to allow you guys to push delta updates to users who are otherwise up to date, but in the mean time, can't you just push the combo updates — and explain the situation — and hope that only a few users get fed up, rather than cutting off all users entirely? Lesser of two evils? Plus, ever-growing patches would help to focus the nerd rage back at Sony where it belongs, I'd imagine, as opposed to just not patching at all, which is kinda on you, to be fair. Unless you guys are paying for the bandwidth, in which case I fully understand your reluctance to patch.

Can you get us any more details on cause of the holdup for the NA release? Like, are you just waiting for SCEA to approve the game, or what? Who's holding the ball at this point, and what are they waiting on?

In the mean time, if I were to download the game with my UK account, will I be able to play it with my NA account, and if so, will that cause any issues if/when the NA version ever gets released?

Oh, and sorry for the bump/double, but would it be possible to push code-only updates through Sony, and have the game itself fetch new assets after it launches? Would Sony allow that, or do they need to "test" the textures to make sure they're not just a bunch of dick pics?

BigDug13

Was the amount of flak that Sony got for the incremental patches on PS3 worse than the current situation we now have where patches keep getting bigger and bigger? Why does this have to be an either/or thing for Sony? If patch 1.4 comes out for a game and you're currently at 1.0, system grabs 1.0-1.4 patch. If you're at 1.1, it grabs 1.1-1.4 patch. If you're at 1.3, it grabs 1.3-1.4 patch. How hard could that be to implement?

I personally don't want my console being forced to download all the version 1.0 to 2.0 texture changes (for example) over and over years down the road because it's forced to be included within patch 3.1 for the same game because incremental patching is not allowed. Stupid.

Especially when we live in a world where Telcoms are trying to force bandwidth caps on us. I'd rather have the incremental patching with smaller sizes personally and I'm not sure what idiots complained to Sony so loudly about that, especially now that it downloads in standby...it's the opposite direction.

m@cross

Shame about this one; I play this with 5 other friends and we'd all like to pay for a few things on our accounts, but non of us want to pump money into our UK accounts if that even would work.

Gaijin is losing cash due to this delay.

Was the amount of flak that Sony got for the incremental patches on PS3 worse than the current situation we now have where patches keep getting bigger and bigger? Why does this have to be an either/or thing for Sony? If patch 1.4 comes out for a game and you're currently at 1.0, system grabs 1.0-1.4 patch. If you're at 1.1, it grabs 1.1-1.4 patch. If you're at 1.3, it grabs 1.3-1.4 patch. How hard could that be to implement?

I personally don't want my console being forced to download all the version 1.0 to 2.0 texture changes (for example) over and over years down the road because it's forced to be included within patch 3.1 for the same game because incremental patching is not allowed. Stupid.

Especially when we live in a world where Telcoms are trying to force bandwidth caps on us. I'd rather have the incremental patching with smaller sizes personally and I'm not sure what idiots complained to Sony so loudly about that, especially now that it downloads in standby...it's the opposite direction.
Well, to be fair, they did solve a legitimate issue, but yes, they managed to create a new issue in the process. It's possible it was simply shortsightedness, but it's also possible they got pushback from devs regarding the need to create double patches for every update. Regardless, it needs to be fixed somehow.

Edit: Missed this bit…
If patch 1.4 comes out for a game and you're currently at 1.0, system grabs 1.0-1.4 patch. If you're at 1.1, it grabs 1.1-1.4 patch. If you're at 1.3, it grabs 1.3-1.4 patch.
No, that's way too much work for the devs, especially after six or eight updates. We need a most-recent->current patch, and an any-version->current patch. If you're on 1.1, then tough shit; you get the full combo patch.

androvsky

Oh, and sorry for the bump/double, but would it be possible to push code-only updates through Sony, and have the game itself fetch new assets after it launches? Would Sony allow that, or do they need to "test" the textures to make sure they're not just a bunch of dick pics?
That's pretty much how Dust 514 on the PS3 works. It might (probably will) take a massive reengineering effort to implement if they're already using middleware that's supposed to handle that.

I hear you, and Sony definitely need to allow you guys to push delta updates to users who are otherwise up to date, but in the mean time, can't you just push the combo updates — and explain the situation — and hope that only a few users get fed up, rather than cutting off all users entirely? Lesser of two evils? Plus, ever-growing patches would help to focus the nerd rage back at Sony where it belongs, I'd imagine, as opposed to just not patching at all, which is kinda on you, to be fair. Unless you guys are paying for the bandwidth, in which case I fully understand your reluctance to patch.
Unfortunately, average consumer doesn't know details about patching system and usually doesn't read forums. They will simply blame the game and never return to it after 2-3 forced giant updates.

Can you get us any more details on cause of the holdup for the NA release? Like, are you just waiting for SCEA to approve the game, or what? Who's holding the ball at this point, and what are they waiting on?
I don't know details and don't want to speculate. AMA on reddit will be a good place to ask right people about this.

In the mean time, if I were to download the game with my UK account, will I be able to play it with my NA account, and if so, will that cause any issues if/when the NA version ever gets released?
Yes, you will be able to play on US account.
If I remember it right, game progress is separate from PSN account. When you start the game first time on PS4, you have to create a new War Thunder account. You can even use it to play on PC after that (but not the other way around). So it shouldn't matter which PSN store was used to download the game.
The only problem is that you won't be able to buy aircraft packs or premium currency right now, because it is done through PSN store and is tied to PSN account.

demolitio

As for WT on PS4 in North America, their creative director said this:

Sorry :( that doesnt depends only on us - mostly about Sony of America. Probably not earlier then March, but still not more specific.

By the way, you guys will love tanks once it's out. The gameplay is amazing if you've ever wanted real tank combat.

Unfortunately, average consumer doesn't know details about patching system and usually doesn't read forums. They will simply blame the game and never return to it after 2-3 forced giant updates.
So the alternative is to basically freeze the PS4 build until Sony get their shit together? I suppose that's reasonable, assuming there are no game breaking bugs or anything.

What about pushing asset-free updates? That should make the actual patch comparatively small, even if it's a combo patch. Have you guys looked in to that?

I don't know details and don't want to speculate. AMA on reddit will be a good place to ask right people about this.
Unfortunately, it wasn't very informative at all. :(

Yes, you will be able to play on US account.
If I remember it right, game progress is separate from PSN account. When you start the game first time on PS4, you have to create a new War Thunder account. You can even use it to play on PC after that (but not the other way around). So it shouldn't matter which PSN store was used to download the game.
The only problem is that you won't be able to buy aircraft packs or premium currency right now, because it is done through PSN store and is tied to PSN account.
Okay, so when it does come to the US, will I then be able to buy planes for the UK build installed on my PS4, or is the store content region-locked to specific releases? This was an issue on the PS3; if you imported a game from the UK, you could only buy content from the UK store, even if the same content was available in the US.

If I delete the copy I get from the UK, will I be able to download it from the US store and have my save files and stuff still work?

By the way, thanks for talking to us about this stuff. <3

Liberty4all

Banned
I'll also check on my side to see if I can dig anything up from SCEA as to what's holding back a North American release.

No promises, but I can ask.

m@cross

Game looking better and better; not sure if they patched it in, but last I played two maps where the sun was setting and the lighting effects where fantastic.

Dangit, can someone edit the title please?!
I'm interested in trying this game, but it honestly should be pretty soon before waves of games start coming out. This 4 month window after launch was a perfect time to get something/anything out and get people's attention. It's too bad so many devs weren't ready for it.

I'll also check on my side to see if I can dig anything up from SCEA as to what's holding back a North American release.

No promises, but I can ask.

I keep hearing that it's either related to not passing SCEA cert, not getting ESRB rating, or a combination of both. The first allegation doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, could SCEA's cert process be more stringent then their EU brethren?

BukoNuTz

Banned
I keep hearing that it's either related to not passing SCEA cert, not getting ESRB rating, or a combination of both. The first allegation doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, could SCEA's cert process be more stringent then their EU brethren?

My heart skipped a beat when I saw this... Opened the thread, I was disappointed. :(

Chris_C

Funny you mention that, I deleted DCUO just last night because it always seemed to be updating with 7GB patches.

K.Sabot

I have a UK psn for this game ( and I do play it some), but I would play this a hell of a lot if I could play it on my main account.

Eusis

It traditionally has been far as I can recall, a lot of shovelware did get the OK there that never showed up here or had to be ported first. Though in this case maybe it's more the ESRB thing.

coolasj19

I have a UK psn for this game ( and I do play it some), but I would play this a hell of a lot if I could play it on my main account.
You can... just make your PS4 the UK Accounts Main Device and play it your original one.

Funny you mention that, I deleted DCUO just last night because it always seemed to be updating with 7GB patches.

Metro Last Light got a 7gb patch last night. What the fuck are they thinking with that? I am going to burn through my download cap in no time if I am constantly downloading 7gb patches.

As I pointed out, ESRB don't even charge anything for digital-only games to get rated, so I doubt that's it.

That said, the complete inability to get a straight answer from anyone involved has completely deflated my hype for one of the games I was probably looking forward to most, apart from inFamous. Edit: Oh, and DriveClub.

Violater

leaving-now-grandpa-simpsons.gif

Dammit!

didn't we just get a 6GB update to BlackLight:Ret last night? im not sure how Warframe handles updates but I remember they're done in-game with it's own launcher. FFXIV also does it's own patching via launcher.

Top Bottom