• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tabata’s Active Time Report (FFXV + FFT0HD news) to air on October 31st

raven777

They also didn't answer the questions who the hell is stella and show us the world map that was shown on screen. Hopefully next time

They were specifically on the screen for those types of questions that they didn't want to answer at this point. They said they will gradually release infos on those when appropriate time comes.

artsi

Hasn't pretty much every FF with some kind of world map had a world map director, at least ever since they became a little more complex?

Yeah, lot of directors. For example FF VIII:

Kazushige Nojima ... scenario director
Tetsuya Nomura ... battle visual director
Hiroshi Kuwabara ... movie character director
Motonori Sakakibara ... movie director
Tomohiro Kayano ... character modeling director
Nobuo Uematsu ... musical director
Hiroki Chiba ... event director
Ikuya Dobashi ... world map director
Takeshi Endo ... map director
Aiko Ito ... localization director
Tetsuya Kando ... motion director
Masaru Oka ... map director
Shintaro Takai ... battle effect director
Tchie Tokoro ... coordination director
Takaaki Wada ... battle motion director

Stark

Banned
So in hindsight, with that question mash question answered: the battle system at its base isn't very different from 2013.

The Yoshida Effect

ibp8dXrshEMjTa.png

I welcome this change.

40 hours for the story is perfect for me. I'm afraid the days of me completing 60+ hour games are long gone as I haven't been able to do so since I was in college.

Shamdeo

If they do add some sort of airship system in the game (with a presumably faster speed than the car), I wonder how the engine will hold up. There seemed to be enemy pop-in even when Noctis & co were driving in the car.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
FFXV looks of course amazing. About Type-0 HD I must admit I don't like the lighting, everything looks so dull and dead, while the original PSP game was so much more colored.

Stark

Banned
If they do add some sort of airship system in the game (with a presumably faster speed than the car), I wonder how the engine will hold up. There seemed to be enemy pop-in even when Noctis & co were driving in the car.
Hope that's just temporary due to the engine version. 1.4~2.0.

not just enemies.. even details like shadows ect. But this could be terminated in the final built, I guess.

Dark_castle

They were specifically on the screen for those types of questions that they didn't want to answer at this point. They said they will gradually release infos on those when appropriate time comes.

Does that mean they acknowledge the question specifically about controllable airship and will answer later?

I got here in the middle of the presentation.

Damn, I wanted to see Type-0's video.

Anyway, FFXV looking great still, can't wait to see more in december.

Famassu

With how big those areas are, those 40 hrs Tabata mentioned to complete the game are probably if you really rush things and go by car only.
Yeah, IIRC they said the Episode Duscae demo is supposedly about an hour if you just go through it, but that you could easily spent something like 4-5+ hours just exploring the demo area, effectively at least quadrupling your gameplay time, even more if you just stop admiring the views at times. So if the game is 30-40 hours for mostly just the story, it might easily take 120+ hours to really explore and do everything.

Koozek

Model/texture pop-in and path-finding (party members walking into trees or each other) still needs a lot of work, though this obviously will be improved until release (at least I hope so). Otherwise, yeah, it looks great.
I just don't know how much I like huge worlds like that. I loved GTAV's world because you naturally had a much more dedicated vehicle engine and more ways of traversing which you can't expect from a JRPG developer without the technical expertise of Rockstar in that genre.
Well, we'll see how riding Chocobos, air ships (or even motorcycles?) turns out :p
I'm optimistic!

Model/texture pop-in and path-finding (party members walking into trees or each other) still needs a lot of work, though this obviously will be improved until release (at least I hope so). Otherwise, yeah, it looks great.
I just don't know how much I like huge worlds like that. I loved GTAV's world because you naturally had a much more dedicated vehicle engine and more ways of traversing which you can't expect from a JRPG developer without the technical expertise of Rockstar in that genre.
Well, we'll see how riding Chocobos, air ships (or even motorcycles?) turns out :p
I'm optimistic!

I get what you are saying, but as long as they have a rapid way to traverse the world I don't see too much of a problem. You will probably be able to fast travel later in the game as well. The scale they are showcasing and the way the environment is made up...it is becoming more realistic. I don't really a problem with worlds becoming more realistically scaled, in fact i welcome it. As long as you can get around rapidly.

Koozek

I get what you are saying, but as long as they have a rapid way to traverse the world I don't see too much of a problem. You will probably be able to fast travel later in the game as well. The scale they are showcasing and the way the environment is made up...it is becoming more realistic. I don't really a problem with worlds becoming more realistically scaled, in fact i welcome it. As long as you can get around rapidly.

Yeah, I'm actually with you as long as it's fun and quick to traverse at some point in the game. I really hope there's a Teleport spell or a quick travel option (auto-pilot driving with a Skip funtion or something like that).

artsi

Also raven777, do you know who the world map director is?

I'm not raven777 but he's Yasuyuki Matsunami. Seems like he worked on Resident Evil 1/2 and Parasite Eve 2 pre-rendered backgrounds, and as the lead background designer of FF XIII.

Yeah, I'm actually with you as long as it's fun and quick to traverse at some point in the game. I really hope there's a Teleport spell or a quick travel option (auto-pilot driving with a Skip funtion or something like that).

Yeah, I am sure it must have. Considering how they seem to be listening to fans closely, it could be something to clarify in the next Q&A session.

Anyway, I think this fan engagement is excellent. They had to get to a pretty dark and dank place before beginning to pull through.

zeromcd73

Found a Japanese script. Here is all the important stuff shown:

Walking the world
  • The first video shown is a portion of the Dascae region which will be on the demo
  • Events and enemy position removed/changed for this video to show just the walking
  • You can eat and gather information at gas stations
  • If you can see something in the background you can go to it
  • Depending on the shape of the ground Noct and friends walking animations will change
  • If you keep running you can see your friends tire and try to catch their breath
  • You can fish in streams, rivers, and the ocean!
  • You can fight the wildlife. As they are always active, be careful as they will attack if you get close
  • There are buildings in the forest with people living in them. You can enter some of these buildings
  • There are also animals that aren't enemies like cats and dogs
  • In order to make the mountains the developers actually climbed one. They might show a video of them doing this one day
  • Demons like the Naga or the Goblins will come out of the caves at night
  • It's dangerous at night and is safer to rest at a gas station or by other means
  • The party members dialogue will change in accordance to the time
  • A Chocobo was shown in the forest. Look forward to finding out more in the demo
  • The enemy airship patrols will sometimes land and fight you
  • Magitek Armor will make an appearance. (was not meant to have been said)
  • The Dascae region is as a large as 10% of the game

The Tech Demo!
  • Currently transferring the game from Ebony to Luminous
  • Engine transferring currently 80% complete and will be 100% done by the time the demo is out
  • Working with Sony and MS to help push the hardware to its limits
  • Not all, but you can destroy buildings and the ground
  • With the power of Luminous FFXV will far surpase FF:AC
  • Another tech demo is planned to be shown at a later date

Your questions to Tabata

Q.What if I mash the attack button instead of holding it down?
A.Even if you mash the attack button the combo will still operate fine and connect together. It's possible to counter while you button mash; if you hold the button down you have to be more careful of the enemies movements and it's more strategic.

Q.Will Type0 HD be available digitally and will it come with the FFXV demo?
A.Of course

Q.Why doesn't the MP show up on the UI?
A.The battle UI is still temporary. When it is complete it will clearly show the MP

Q.I'm a little worried the game will only last 40 hours
A.The main story itself will take 40 hours. Beating dungeons and other actives will make the length of the game much longer

Next Episode Preview
Jump Festa!

Damerman

Walking the world
  • There are buildings in the forest with people living in them. You can enter some of these buildings
  • A Chocobo was shown in the forest. Look forward to finding out more in the demo

The Tech Demo!
  • Currently 80% complete and will be 100% done by the time the demo is out

all of this is so exciting. I wonder if you can go into random NPC's homes like old JRPG, if so i wonder how they will react.

Also, i don't really understand what is being said concerning the completion percentage. is the game 80% done? or is the demo 80% done? or is the transferring to Luminous engine 80% done?

zeromcd73

Also, i don't really understand what is being said concerning the completion percentage. is the game 80% done? or is the demo 80% done? or is the transferring to Luminous engine 80% done?
Thanks. Made sure to fix it. It was just the engine transfer.

KoopaTheCasual

So Tabata just confirmed demo day-and-date release with Type-0 HD. Kind of huge news. It was always said they were 'trying' to get it done, but this confirms it.

I'm super hyped for chocobos.

Found a Japanese script. Here is all the important stuff shown:

Walking the world
  • The first video shown is a portion of the Dascae region which will be on the demo
  • Events and enemy position removed/changed for this video to show just the walking
  • You can eat and gather information at gas stations
  • If you can see something in the background you can go to it
  • Depending on the shape of the ground Noct and friends walking animations will change
  • If you keep running you can see your friends tire and try to catch their breath
  • You can fish in streams, rivers, and the ocean!
  • You can fight the wildlife. As they are always active, be careful as they will attack if you get close
  • There are also animals that aren't enemies like cats and dogs
  • In order to make the mountains the developers actually climbed one. They might show a video of them doing this one day
  • Demons like the Naga or the Goblins will come out of the caves at night
  • It's dangerous at night and is safer to rest at a gas station or by other means
  • The party members dialogue will change in accordance to the time
  • The enemy airship patrols will sometimes land and fight you
  • The Dascae region is as a large as 10% of the game

The Tech Demo!
  • Engine transferring currently 80% complete and will be 100% done by the time the demo is out
  • Working with Sony and MS to help push the hardware to its limits
  • Not all, but you can destroy buildings and the ground
  • With the power of Luminous FFXV will far surpase FF:AC
  • Another tech demo is planned to be shown at a later date

Your questions to Tabata

Q.What if I mash the attack button instead of holding it down?
A.Even if you mash the attack button the combo will still operate fine and connect together. It's possible to counter while you button mash; if you hold the button down you have to be more careful of the enemies movements and it's more strategic.

Q.Will Type0 HD be available digitally and will it come with the FFXV demo?
A.Of course

Q.Why doesn't the MP show up on the UI?
A.The battle UI is still temporary. When it is complete it will clearly show the MP

Q.I'm a little worried the game will only last 40 hours
A.The main story itself will take 40 hours. Beating dungeons and other actives will make the length of the game much longer

Next Episode Preview
Jump Festa!

Man, this is shaping up to be my favourite game of all time. I am looking forward to just getting lost in the world and finding my way around the world.

Myths

The Catoblepas from FFV

Considering Nomura's role in FFV as Monster Designer, I'm not at all surprised by what seems to be looked at as a throwback to others. If anything, it shows his versatility in juggling both fantasy and reality.

I'm now curious whether Xenoblade X or XV is going to be larger.

I'd be surprised if it's not Xenoblade. It's basically built around being large and have a huge sense of scale.

Considering Nomura's role in FFV as Monster Designer, I'm not at all surprised by what seems to be looked at as a throwback to others. If anything, it shows his versatility in juggling both fantasy and reality.

It also shows that a lot of what he put in place is still there. He said a long time ago that Versus would remind people more of classic FF than XIII would.

Most of the recent titles have been 30-40 hours also.

But not including JUST the modern ones. I mean, from what I hear, a lot of the older ones, even, were around 40 hours(what I heard, not specifics, which is why I asked). That seems to be a fair amount of time dedicated to JUST the story events.

But not including JUST the modern ones. I mean, from what I hear, a lot of the older ones, even, were around 40 hours(what I heard, not specifics, which is why I asked). That seems to be a fair amount of time dedicated to JUST the story events.

FFI tend to be 17-18 hours. FFVII tends to be 39 hours. FFXII tends to be 57-58 hours. FFIX tends to be 44 hours. FFX tends to be 48-49 hours. FFIII tends to be 31 hours. (Saw all of those on howlongtobeat btw).

It's not big at all, it's within normal scale for a FF title.

The world looks excellent so far. I'm also really glad Tabata confirmed that you can mash the attack button to perform a combo instead of only being able to perform it by holding down the button. Between that and jumping still being in, the combat system might be a little more like Versus than I thought after TGS.

I'm now curious whether Xenoblade X or XV is going to be larger.

They both look huge, but it also seems like each game is approaching the world design from a different perspective. If you compare FFXV's demo map with the opening map for Xenoblade, FFXV's map is much wider and more open, possibly due to driving aspect. Xenoblade, on the other hand, has much more verticality and contains lots of steep cliffs to climb and also lots floating islands to fly to in mechs.

Top Bottom