• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameSpot: Kojima to leave Konami after MGSV, power struggle, communications embargo

Status
Not open for further replies.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I suppose it's possible but the fact they took his name off the Metal Gear legacy collection implies otherwise and is pretty damning IMO.
jim-carrey-liar-liar-oh-come-on-angry-its-enough.gif

They took his name off a pre existing product, REALLY?
That's like Disney removing George Lucas from all Star Wars stuff, actually I don't think they can, they his permission to remove or to credit, same should apply here I'd imagine imagine.

Dremark

Banned

That's like Disney removing George Lucas from all Star Wars stuff, actually I don't think they can, they his permission to remove or to credit, same should apply here.

Iirc the image of the Legacy collection on Konami's site had his name removed. I don't think they're repressing discs to remove his name or anything like that but they are basically going out if their way to not promote him in anyway.

TGO

Iirc the image of the Legacy collection on Konami's site had his name removed. I don't think they're repressing discs to remove his name or anything like that but they are basically going out if their way to not promote him in anyway.
Sounds as sucky as David Hayter deal

That's like Disney removing George Lucas from all Star Wars stuff, actually I don't think they can, they his permission to remove or to credit, same should apply here I'd imagine imagine.

It's this aspect that infuriates me the most at this point. Regardless of the situation, it seems absolutely petty to deny authorship of the title so late in the game. I mean, the game is releasing in six months!

I don't care that Konami's new stance on centralized branding is being ushered at the start of their fiscal year (April 1st, and the irony isn't lost on me). Kojima and, by extension, his team in Japan and L.A. deserve that credit, period.

However the final product ends up, it's THEIR GAME, period. To erase credit in such a way is just disgusting to me.

Now that it's settling a bit, just gotta say: Kojima and his co-workers have many avenues lying in wait. Konami's coming out the worse for this, but I selfishly want the company to limp just long enough for someone to intervene, buy all the Hudson IPs, and then auction them off to parties who can show they're going to redistribute them and/or use the IPs for new games/remakes. Meanwhile, it's all gonna be new for the guys being demoted, and I hope Koji Pro can either get funding or self-publish on whichever platform best suits them. The Steam market would be smart to latch onto...

Also, I'm concerned about how Zone of the Enders will fare under this absence.

Hasney

You guys think Sony would give him free reign? Making AAA games is expensive as fuck.

He'd be treated with a very loose leash I would imagine. His games have a proven track record and slapping his name on something does give it a kick of extra attention.

Like even if this hadn't happened, but Kojimas name wasn't on Silent Hills, I would have never paid attention to it.

TGO

You guys think Sony would give him free reign? Making AAA games is expensive as fuck.
Speak to David Cage about his free reign, Sony doesn't interfere
There are devs that have said they work for Sony because they get freedom and the support for their vision, Sony would be a good choice, and it's also a place Kojima can easily call home.
Kojima and Sony aren't exactly stranger's by a long shot.

They would, but I doubt it'll happen
Even if Kojima is a bit soft on Playstation I don't see him joining up with anyone.

Yeah, he'll found his own studio where he'll be in charge like he was at KojiPro.

What Sony should be doing is getting in there first and signing up him as a second party developer.

doofy102

There'd be more than enough room for Kojima to flex. His games aren't that weird. They're mainstream at the most "obvious" level in that you're playing a soldier with a gun and it's Kojima's gifted style to work the creativity in and around the mainstream stuff. It's not like he's suddenly going to go all nich/avante garde.

TGO

Yeah, he'll found his own studio where he'll be in charge like he was at KojiPro.

What Sony should be doing is getting in there first and signing up him as a second party developer.
That is something I can see happening, complete freedom, rights to his own games and fully supported by Sony.
Then we'll just need Sony to buy the MGS rights off Konami as welcome gift for Kojima.
Hey a man can dream lol

Guys, he might not do something games-related at all.
That'd be a great loss. Everyone likes to poke fun at how he's a frustrated film director, but the man is an excellent game designer with ideas for scenarios and mechanics like no other.

I don't even want to imagine Kojima quitting videogames. I can't. :(

If Japan Studio is willing to take KojiPro in, it's actually a pretty good deal.

Because KojiPro and Japan Studio are like 15 minutes away from each other.

:p

Sad to see this happen, but I would be glad to see Kojima work again with Sony and then create a Twin Peaks style game to rival now Konami' Silent Hills game.

Steroyd

That is something I can see happening, complete freedom, rights to his own games and fully supported by Sony.
Then we'll just need Sony to buy the MGS rights off Konami as welcome gift for Kojima.
Hey a man can dream lol

That's something Microsoft would allow, not Sony.

Well, this is the end of the MGS saga. The most frighting is that the series will head to the factory production line. It will end horribly like many games who lost their original makers.

Macrotus

Another relevant page regarding the announcement.
http://www.konami.jp/osirase/150320/

尚、KONAMIは新たな『メタルギア』シリーズの制作に着手することを決議しました。

It says that Konami's making a new Metal Gear series.

jfoul

Looking forward to Kojima working on fresh new projects. I'm guessing Konami wants to cut down on budget and push out more games.

Alienous

Wow... not sure if this has been mentioned but Konami just announced they're making a new Metal Gear game and they're even hiring people for it.... Looks like they threw away Koji-Pro for real...

AVmmNJl.png

http://www.konami.co.jp/job/jk/spe/...806156564&cm_mc_sid_50340000|knm02=1426837963

I wake up to this

New "METAL GEAR" production staff

Fuck this world, seriously.

High-end game production, it is practical experience of planning, etc.
have-rich imagination, it is able to generate innovative ideas
If you have a strong passion for the game making
the communication skills to convey the ideas you person who has

Well guys, consider the series dead.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I can only imagine the shit fit here once Sony or Microsoft inevitably sign the new Team Kojima as their exclusive.
Microsoft would obviously be the most frictional, owing to the fact that Kojima was basically exclusive to Playstation 1998-2012.

But if it were signed to Xbox? Hey, great. It would give me a reason to buy an Xbone.

As long as someone steps up to fund them and make top-shelf core games, I'm in.

fedexpeon

Banned
Wow... not sure if this has been mentioned but Konami just announced they're making a new Metal Gear game and they're even hiring people for it.... Looks like they threw away Koji-Pro for real...

AVmmNJl.png

http://www.konami.co.jp/job/jk/spe/...806156564&cm_mc_sid_50340000|knm02=1426837963

Man, the reviews and fan base will be harsh on anyone who signs up for this project.

Anyway...where do they go now with the story?
New cast members, new main character, and new plot.
Tough challenge imo.
This is like creating a GoT series without the input and direction from George RR Martin.

Alienous

In addition, KONAMI is: also production of "Metal Gear" series after "MGSV TPP", we will continue to provide. Thank you continue to "Metal Gear" series you look forward for your patronage as in the future.

Holy shit.

These guys really think they can do this without Kojima.

They're going yearly already, aren't they?

TGO

Another relevant page regarding the announcement.
http://www.konami.jp/osirase/150320/

It says that Konami's making a new Metal Gear series.
Translation

Dear Customer
March 20, 2015Konami Digital Entertainment Co., Ltd.
Notice: "THE PHANTOM PAIN METAL GEAR SOLID V"
Continued patronage is Thanks for choosing patronizing our products.

The latest series "METAL GEAR SOLID V: THE PHANTOM PAIN (Metal Gear Solid V phantom pane)" (hereinafter MGSV: TPP), along with Hideo Kojima, as I was allowed announced the other day, September 1, 2015 (Tuesday) Starting with the North America, Central and South America, Europe, the Japan-Asia is expected to be released from September 2 (water).

In addition, KONAMI is: also production of "Metal Gear" series after "MGSV TPP", we will continue to provide. Thank you continue to "Metal Gear" series you look forward for your patronage as in the future.

In addition, KONAMI has resolved to embark on production of a new "Metal Gear" series.

Upon production, will begin the audition of key staff.

Applicants, please refer to the adoption site of Konami website.

■ New "METAL GEAR" Production Members Wanted

Please consult If you have any questions until Konami Customer Service Office.

A-V-B

So lemme guess... Kojima put his foot down and said, resolutely, "I'm not making MGS6."

Konami replies "then we'll find someone who will" and erases him from existence.

Hey a man can dream lol

Sony doesn't publish games they don't own. They learnt their lesson after Universal used them to help create Crash and Spyro with Naughty Dog and Insomniac, then ditched them to go multiplatform.

But I doubt Kojima would be unhappy about that aspect anyway, not when he's just starting out with his new studio. Getting signed to a good deal and hiring will probably be the big priorities.

That'd be a great loss. Everyone likes to poke fun at how he's a frustrated film director, but the man is an excellent game designer with ideas for scenarios and mechanics like no other.

I don't even want to imagine Kojima quitting videogames. I can't. :(

I wouldn't worry about it. I think Kojima's too invested in the games industry to think about leaving it.

Golnei

Even if the series does become annualised trash after this, at least it means they might still fund MGR2.

Or outsource it to Mercurysteam...

Lord Phol

In the end it's all business and money, such a sad state our would and society is in. I do hope Kojima makes it out of this okey and hopefully he will be able to continue doing what he likes with less restraints.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

AVmmNJl.png

This reads to me as entirely ego driven.

Like, a new Metal Gear game was not normally in the cards for this moment in time... A new one is coming out and they'd normally surely wait and see the reaction before planning the next one.

But in the breakdown of talks with KojiPro, some suit was like "we don't need you! We own Metal Gear!" And this new project is actually mandated by ideology to fulfill the threats of the higher ups.

This is a spite-based Metal Gear project.

dani_dc

Holy shit.

These guys really think they can do this without Kojima.

They're going yearly already, aren't they?

Of course they think that', it's a big IP, there was no way they would let it die just because Kojima left the company.

How long they can maintain sales of the franchise is really the big question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom