• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Leto Joker vs Gotham (tv) Joker

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he's talking about the package as a whole, but . . .

He may be inherently ridiculous, but that doesn't mean he has to be wholely unintimidating like Leto's Joker.
Letos joker is a joke , he looks ridiculous instead of inspire fear, remembers the guy from clockwork orange
Either way, I don't find any of those designs "intimidating" aside from the skin mask for obvious reasons. I find Leto's joker more intimidating than most interations and I guess we're just not going to agree on that. There have been some truly deranged and terrifying Joker's, some worse than Leto's but in terms of live action presence he's one of the better ones. He balances Heath's realistic take with some of the characters more cartoony aspects.

Sanctuary

Many people are irrationally afraid of clowns. It's a thing.

It's not irrational!

scary-clown-movies-clown-doll-poltergiest.jpg
giphy.gif

Platy

Ledger Joker is not a scary Clown because ... he is not a clown.

He tries to be funny like 2 times the entire movie. He does not have the "I will kill you because it would be FUNNY !" thing, does not make ANYTHING clownny outside the pencil trick (and I am being GENEROUS with this one) and the "walking away from hospital scene".

He is just plain psycho all the time

I think we're talking about two very different things here. The best live acting version was Ledger by far, that's also why I didn't mention Hamill in my initial post. Hamill's voice is iconic now however, and it will be remember as the voice of The Joker.

I don't believe this for one second because 1) most people don't actually know he voiced the Joker and 2) TDK put Batman and the Joker on the map again. Most people know of a 3 Jokers: Heath Ledger, Jack Nicholson, and Ceaser Romero. You'd be surprised to know not every one kept up with TAS. It's similar to how most people don't know Mark Hamill did acting gigs after Star Wars.

Ishida

Banned

He tries to be funny like 2 times the entire movie. He does not have the "I will kill you because it would be FUNNY !" thing, does not make ANYTHING clownny outside the pencil trick (and I am being GENEROUS with this one) and the "walking away from hospital scene".

I loved Ledger's Joker, but I have a pretty big issue with him...

He was too serious.

Yes, the "Why so serious!?" guy is actually just... Too serious...

And that's actually the main reason Nicholson remains my favorite live action Joker. Sure, Jack was mostly playing himself, but the character truly fits him, and he's actually a psycho buffoon.

MVxx_f-maxage-0.gif

He kills a guy with an electrified ring. He's got the poison gas. He's got the "Smilex". He's got the flower that spits acid. He's got a ridiculously long revolver he gets out of his pants. He has that punching glove gun...

Sure, Ledger is creepy, and he makes some jokes here and there. And he has a pretty creepy laugh. But Nicholson, at least to me, felt like a more "complete" Joker. A guy who has no regrets about poisoning and entire city, while at the same time...

giphy.gif

"Bob. Gun."

NfUkIJr.gif

That's not true. What about the part where he miscounts the shots near the beginning? Or his line about his job being to kill so-and-so? (It's been a while since I've seen the movie.)

It might be psychotic funny, and a lot of it is subtle, but he's still really funny.

That's not true. What about the part where he miscounts the shots near the beginning? Or his line about his job being to kill so-and-so? (It's been a while since I've seen the movie.)

It might be psychotic funny, and a lot of it is subtle, but he's still really funny.

"Very poor choice of words", the part where he mimics his henchman who got electric shocked, you complete me, the clapping for Gordon etc. Dude had a very dark sense of humor but it was always entertaining

Platy

"Very poor choice of words", the part where he mimics his henchman who got electric shocked, you complete me, the clapping for Gordon etc. Dude had a very dark sense of humor but it was always entertaining

Alfred has more funny lines in that movie than the Joker ! ALFRED !

Q4FuecW.png

Platy

104-Batman-quotes.gif

giphy.gif

Well... Do they...?

They both look like.

The diference is that LEDGER JOKER is actualy the dude with a plan. A HUGE and COMPLICATED and SPECIFIC plan that requires an enormous coordination of competent goons and infiltrated people.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
If you seriously don't see any humor in Ledgers joker and consider it all just dark psychotic then i don't really know what to say. There are so many excellent black dark humor jokes through out his performance it's great. It's not slapstick but nothing in Nolan's trilogy is. Him fumbling with the gun after getting out of the trailer, making fun of the shocked grunt, his comment to Gordon about needing just a minute, so much of him in the prison, the smoke grenade in the bankers mouth, the no look shot to the bus driver, the entire nurse scene...

like i could go on and on about how great and funny so much of it was but i guess you have to have a certain frame of mind to really think it's funny? I dunno... I thought it was a riot.
I mean... DIRECTLY after the pencil trick (fucking hilarious)
"What the TV tells you .... i know a squealer when i see one and ....." *points*

fuckin brilliant. and funny. and absolutely no where NEAR try hard or grimdark or silly.

Like... actually clever and funny.
"You think you can rob us and just walk away??!!"
"Yeah."

cmon... :D

erawsd

I don't believe this for one second because 1) most people don't actually know he voiced the Joker and 2) TDK put Batman and the Joker on the map again. Most people know of a 3 Jokers: Heath Ledger, Jack Nicholson, and Ceaser Romero. You'd be surprised to know not every one kept up with TAS. It's similar to how most people don't know Mark Hamill did acting gigs after Star Wars.

People might not know that Hamil does the voice or might not even know who Hamil is. However, Id be willing to bet that his portrayal is much more familiar than Caesar Romero or even Jack Nicholson, just by virtue of it being a performance thats been in the main stream within last 20 years...a fairly prolific one at that.

If you seriously don't see any humor in Ledgers joker and consider it all just dark psychotic then i don't really know what to say. There are so many excellent black dark humor jokes through out his performance it's great. It's not slapstick but nothing in Nolan's trilogy is. Him fumbling with the gun after getting out of the trailer, making fun of the shocked grunt, his comment to Gordon about needing just a minute, so much of him in the prison, the smoke grenade in the bankers mouth, the no look shot to the bus driver, the entire nurse scene...

like i could go on and on about how great and funny so much of it was but i guess you have to have a certain frame of mind to really think it's funny? I dunno... I thought it was a riot.
I mean... DIRECTLY after the pencil trick (fucking hilarious)
"What the TV tells you .... i know a squealer when i see one and ....." *points*

fuckin brilliant. and funny. and absolutely no where NEAR try hard or grimdark or silly.

Like... actually clever and funny.
"You think you can rob us and just walk away??!!"
"Yeah."

cmon... :D

The best humor from him is the fact that he set a fire truck of all things on fire before the street chase.

eizarus

Banned
Saw the movie last night. At the beginning I really wasn't feeling it, but I thought Leto improved throughout the movie. I don't think he's as good as Ledger, but I do think that this creepy Joker has some potential.

*happy nod
I recently watched The dark knight and Ledger is so enjoyable, a real treat. He had quite a screen presence, his dry humor touched my funny bone. Him and Bruce Wayne were really funny and charismatic.
Never been a fan of the Joker, he was just there in all the media I've watched but Ledger performance made me really like the clown. RIP Ledger.

People might not remember that it's Hamil, but people will remember the voice. He's done this voice in the vast majority of Batman media - from cartoons to video games - for decades. I would argue that more people are familiar with his performance in the Arkham games than they are Romero's or Nicholson's performances.

Skilletor

My favorite Joker moment is when he bursts into the party, takes a glass, throws the drink out, and then takes a sip from the cup.

Ledger's joker was fucking amazing and hilarious.

Ishida

Banned
People might not remember that it's Hamil, but people will remember the voice. He's done this voice in the vast majority of Batman media - from cartoons to video games - for decades. I would argue that more people are familiar with his performance in the Arkham games than they are Romero's or Nicholson's performances.

The issue with Hamill is that most of his recognition comes from the diverse animated series. The games are just a very small part.

Knowing this, let's remember Hamill's Joker voice was mostly known in english-speaking countries. Here in Latin America, for example, we got the AMAZING performance of Ruben León, which in my honest opinion is just as good as Hamill, and his Joker voice has become iconic in tons of spanish-speaking countries. León has dubbed the animated Joker in every incarnation since the 90's animated series. He's got an amazing laugh!

Nicholson, Ledger, Romero and Leto are the same people no matter the country people are watching from, but voice acting is different for every country/region.

This is the reason I would say Hamill is not more recognizable worldwide as the Joker as the live action actors.

The issue with Hamill is that most of his recognition comes from the diverse animated series. The games are just a very small part.

Knowing this, let's remember Hamill's Joker voice was mostly known in english-speaking countries. Here in Latin America, for example, we got the AMAZING performance of Ruben León, which in my honest opinion is just as good as Hamill, and his Joker voice has become iconic in tons of spanish-speaking countries. León has dubbed the animated Joker in every incarnation since the 90's animated series. He's got an amazing laugh!

Nicholson, Ledger, Romero and Leto are the same people no matter the country people are watching from, but voice acting is different for every country/region.

This is the reason I would say Hamill is not more recognizable worldwide as the Joker as the live action actors.

This is completely anecdotal, but most people I know (I'm 21, two jobs + school) are familiar with TAS and the Arkham games. I know one guy who's seen the Burton films. I'm pretty much the only person who's seen any of the '60s TV show.

The live actors may be more well-known worldwide by default, but for this generation within the English-speaking world, it's most certainly Ledger > Hamill >>>> everyone else.

EDIT: Also, I don't think we can discount how much influence Hamill's had for the character. Compare the Joker laugh pre-TAS to post-TAS and it's pretty clear that most actors are imitating Hamill.

I don't watch Gotham, but I've seen clips of their "Joker". He seems good, but I liked Leto's take a lot as well. Don't really get the hate, I think people are too caught up with the stupid "damaged" tattoo, as I thought his actual character was intriguing and could be one of the best Joker renditions. It really is hard to fully judge though with such a short amount of screen time.

And IDGAF he looks fucking awesome in this:

tumblr_obi8kepMtK1v5g1auo1_500.gif

I think when Leto Joker drops some of the bling, he actually looks pretty good. But I feel like his performance was off at times in Suicide Squad.

Slixshot

Banned
I don't watch Gotham, but I've seen clips of their "Joker". He seems good, but I liked Leto's take a lot as well. Don't really get the hate, I think people are too caught up with the stupid "damaged" tattoo, as I thought his actual character was intriguing and could be one of the best Joker renditions. It really is hard to fully judge though with such a short amount of screen time.

And IDGAF he looks fucking awesome in this:

tumblr_obi8kepMtK1v5g1auo1_500.gif

Was this in Suicide Squad? Harley Quinn is scarier than I would have imagined.

Ishida

Banned
This is completely anecdotal, but most people I know (I'm 21, two jobs + school) are familiar with TAS and the Arkham games. I know one guy who's seen the Burton films. I'm pretty much the only person who's seen any of the '60s TV show.

The live actors may be more well-known worldwide by default, but for this generation within the English-speaking world, it's most certainly Ledger > Hamill >>>> everyone else.

EDIT: Also, I don't think we can discount how much influence Hamill's had for the character. Compare the Joker laugh pre-TAS to post-TAS and it's pretty clear that most actors are imitating Hamill.

Yeah, but you are speaking of the English-speaking countries. My post was about how other countries would not immediately recognize Hamill as the voice of the animated Joker, due to dubs. While the live action Jokers are recognizable worldwide regardless of language. They don't have that issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom