• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crystal Bearers E3 Trailer

VAIL

Fuu said:
f3rimw.jpg

She's hot...

EDarkness

Fuu said:
It's the obligatory PR talk when involving the Wii though. Also, the main Final Fantasy series hasn't been "hardcore" for years.

The hype level for this has never been dramatically high either imo. :p Also, this thread is "old" now. Just like the one with the website updates, even if there's more news people don't comment anymore.

I'm not really looking on this site since this place is more for 360/PS3 gamers. Among them this game is low on the radar. With the Wii crowd (going by hype on other sites that I visit) it's low as well since E3. Before that, it was talked about pretty often. Of course, this is all anecdotal. Among people I know, it's dropped off due to the "casual/grandma" comments from him. It's typical Wii speak, but you don't hear that kind of thing when they're talking about FFXIII, Metal Gear, Alan Wake, etc. It gets tiring and really comes across as trying to pander to a group that won't play the game in the first place. Getting new gamers is great, but you'd think after all this time Square would know who the target audience for their games are. Especially something like this. So I can understand where my friends are coming from.

I'm still hyped for the game and will pick it up when it comes out day one, but these comments from the developer has allowed me to temper my excitement and expectations.

EDarkness said:
I'm not really looking on this site since this place is more for 360/PS3 gamers. Among them this game is low on the radar. With the Wii crowd (going by hype on other sites that I visit) it's low as well since E3. Before that, it was talked about pretty often. Of course, this is all anecdotal. Among people I know, it's dropped off due to the "casual/grandma" comments from him. It's typical Wii speak, but you don't hear that kind of thing when they're talking about FFXIII, Metal Gear, Alan Wake, etc. It gets tiring and really comes across as trying to pander to a group that won't play the game in the first place. Getting new gamers is great, but you'd think after all this time Square would know who the target audience for their games are. Especially something like this. So I can understand where my friends are coming from.

I'm still hyped for the game and will pick it up when it comes out day one, but these comments from the developer has allowed me to temper my excitement and expectations.
'
I wouldn't see why, considering E3 impressions were fucking glowing.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
EDarkness said:

Precisely. It's all about how they perceive the audience on said consoles. You can bet FFXIII will also be as "casual" as a RPG can be. But I agree with you, it's really not needed of Kawazu or Itahana to point this out in interviews as most of the public that will watch these don't want to hear such a label on a game (although it's clear that making the game accessible was in the team's mind). It is very silly to write off the game based on THIS though... It's sad how these people you mentioned are fickle, I'm glad you're still giving it a fair chance. I for one stopped caring about "core and casual" long ago, I just want "fun".

pakkit

Banned
EDarkness said:
I can't shake this feeling that the game will be too easy and simple. Makes me wonder if other people are feeling that way since it's hype level seems to have gone down dramatically in recent days. :(
Zelda is easy and simple. Mario is easy and simple. They've both been toned down in recent years to make them more accessible to the newcomers. If the game is good, who gives a shit?

pakkit said:
Zelda is easy and simple. Mario is easy and simple. They've both been toned down in recent years to make them more accessible to the newcomers. If the game is good, who gives a shit?

In terms of difficulty? Yes, but that's a trend in all games it seems. In terms of actual gameplay I wouldn't say so as both started out ridiculously simple to grasp. And as you said, a game being good is all that matters

EDarkness

Fuu said:
Precisely. It's all about how they perceive the audience on said consoles. You can bet FFXIII will also be as "casual" as a RPG can be. But I agree with you, it's really not needed of Kawazu or Itahana to point this out in interviews as most of the public that will watch these don't want to hear such a label on a game (although it's clear that making the game accessible was in the team's mind). It is very silly to write off the game based on THIS though... It's sad how these people you mentioned are fickle, I'm glad you're still giving it a fair chance. I for one stopped caring about "core and casual" long ago, I just want "fun".

I agree about the "fun" part. <shrug> I do want badass as well as "fun". I don't think that's too much to ask for, but on the Wii it seems to be too hard for developers to even comprehend. I don't agree with my friends for just writing off the game, but I think they were wanting a game like FFXII, but with a new direction. One of them really wanted something a bit more serious and not something his grandma would get into. Who knows it might not be that way, but these interviews of being friendly and "open" just don't hit the right note with the obvious intended target audience who are tired of being treated like kids just because they own a Wii. Personally, I don't think there's anything wrong with that idea and in the end I'll probably let him borrow my copy when I'm done.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
You guys know that 'casual' doesn't automatically mean 'bad', right?

The term is so differently interpreted by different people it's utterly useless trying to decipher what they mean.

When he says casual he might mean an incredably shallow, simplified experience targeted towards children and the elderly who don't want any 'depth' to their game.

Or he could mean the game's mechanics are easy to learn and quite accessible, and the pacing of the game is not bloated, allowing for 'anyone' to pick it up and enjoy it in long and short stints.

It's inspired by GTA for christ's sake, a game that is notoriously 'casual' in terms of the latter description. If that's what they mean then we have nothing to worry about in the slightest.

'Casual' has such a crazy negative and illogical stigma with gamers these days. I feel like I'm in Salem and somebody just muttered "witch".

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Casual as a term is pretty much meaningless, as it's been twisted by everyone and their uncle to suit their own explanations and interpretation of things. I think Kawazu wanted it to mean "accessible". There are no crazy turnbased systems, no convoluted menus, and no confusing and elaborate stat tracks. You just move, throw shit and people around, shoot some stuff, kick some ass, and mack on chicks. The demo definitely showcased the title's variety and its emphasis on action. That's the direction he wants to take with the Crystal Bearer franchise, and I'm totally on board the hype train with that idea.

Fuu

Layle's expressions when he's dealing with Bell are great, these two will certainly provide lulz.

14l1qw3.jpg
s47yw5.jpg
:lol ->
2rgjigk.jpg

Fuu

Now this is hillarious. Google translates Layle as "rails", on-rails am confirmed. :lol

Regulus Tera said:
Uh am I the only one seeing something wrong with Belle in this picture?

No, those are not nipples.
She is looking backwards and her chest is pointed down. You sare seeing the top of her outfit.

Vinci

Danish
EatChildren said:

The term is so differently interpreted by different people it's utterly useless trying to decipher what they mean.

When he says casual he might mean an incredably shallow, simplified experience targeted towards children and the elderly who don't want any 'depth' to their game.

Or he could mean the game's mechanics are easy to learn and quite accessible, and the pacing of the game is not bloated, allowing for 'anyone' to pick it up and enjoy it in long and short stints.

It's inspired by GTA for christ's sake, a game that is notoriously 'casual' in terms of the latter description. If that's what they mean then we have nothing to worry about in the slightest.

'Casual' has such a crazy negative and illogical stigma with gamers these days. I feel like I'm in Salem and somebody just muttered "witch".

Good man.

EatChildren said:

That is what I thought when he said "casual".

Amir0x said:
Well besides the fact that the main female protagonist is once again dressed like a prostitute, looks rad.
Shes a Selkie, it's what they do.

In fact, I'm dissapointed her chest is not pouring out of that top. She is a disgrace to her heritage.

Vinci

Danish
Amir0x said:
Well besides the fact that the main female protagonist is once again dressed like a prostitute, looks rad.

I've come to expect it. I'm looking forward to the day they have a nun in a JRPG (for some unholy reason) and she's dressed like a total minx. You know, for the funnies.

The city is gigantic, by the way. You hop on a train at one point and, assuming you resist the urge to just decimate everyone on board, you can look around outside and appreciate how much of the city has been painstakingly rendered. At the end of the track you'll come across Althea, a Lilty princess whose white ferret swiftly absconds with your crystal. WHAT A RASCAL. After chasing it down and grabbing it, perhaps also knocking Althea to the ground and robbing her in the process, a series of events transpire that end with you fleeing the city with a Selkie woman named Bell—the Lilty guards hot on your tail. I wonder what kind of behavior could have possibly prompted that.

Sounding better and better.
:D

kenji

there are new scans on this week's famitsu.. can someone see translate the text to see if there are new info? :D

This game is getting better and better every time we read impressions or see some video. I can't wait to play it when it releases :D

From a Joy Stiq Interview with Square Enix's Akitoshi Kawazu...

J: To date, Crystal Chronicles has meant multiplayer games, or even My Life as a King where it's more of a simulation with parties going out and adventuring for you, but this is more focused on the single-player experience. How did you arrive at the decision to make this a solo game, and how will that affect the progression of the story in comparison to the previous Crystal Chronicles games?

AK: We wanted this to be for a console that is for the family, and we thought solo play would be more suitable for that. There was some trial and error, because it is the first solo-play action game for the development team. However, we were all used to action games, so that part was fine. We made the characters' art style a little more mature so that the action would look cooler.

J: Will the other Crystal Chronicles, with the cuter character designs, continue as another branch?

AK: Not sure about the style yet, and if it's going to be realistic proportions or not, but we would like to keep creating multiplay Crystal Chronicles titles.

J: The Crystal Chronicles games have always appeared on Nintendo systems. Is that a deliberate choice? Do you see branching out into other platforms?

AK: We cannot say anything definite at this point. Personally, I feel grateful, and it almost feels like my duty to stick to Nintendo, as the original GameCube title was created upon Yamauchi-san's request. However, as a company, Square Enix wants to go multiplatform, so we cannot say definite things at this moment.

Full Interview: http://www.*******.com/2009/06/11/interview-square-enixs-akitoshi-kawazu-on-final-fantasy-crysta/

batbeg

Ha, I was just coming in to post that interview, can't believe nobody else mentioned it. A lot of the same questions and answers from the gametrailers interview, but there's a little extra in there that's quite interesting.

Seems kind of weird we don't have a release date if we're expecting this in the next 6 months. come ooooon Square-Enix, don't let me down!

Top Bottom