• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker (PSP) Official Site opens [DEMO UP AT IGN!]

Callibretto said:
the control is actually really good, but the downside is, it has pretty limited action compared to any other mgs.

maybe I missed it, but so far I can't crawl, can't neck slice, can't move left and right while pressed on a wall, you can't aim while in that position either, and you can't drag enemies. so far it's not much of a problem because it's in open environment and I can use baloon to hide bodies, but I figured any indoor location will be more annoying.

I gotta imagine that almost all that stuff will be added in by the time the game comes out. Seriously, Snake was crawling on the MSX2 :lol

Shame that you can't aim from being pressed on a wall though. I always felt that the Metal Gear series needed better cover-fire controls. Hope that it too will be added by the time the game is out, but I'm not gonna hold my breath on this one.

autobzooty said:
I gotta imagine that almost all that stuff will be added in by the time the game comes out. Seriously, Snake was crawling on the MSX2 :lol

Shame that you can't aim from being pressed on a wall though. I always felt that the Metal Gear series needed better cover-fire controls. Hope that it too will be added by the time the game is out, but I'm not gonna hold my breath on this one.

you can hold the down button to lie down and hide but you can't move while in this position. when you press L button in this position and in the back pressed on the wall position, the camera locked on to visible enemies. you can then use [] and /\ to cycle enemies and R button to tag you enemies. I imagine it's for co-op moves shown in E3 trailer where you can shoot enemies hidden in a smoke if you have your friend act as spotter.

as far as I see. lying down is now an observation tool instead of sneaking tool.

btw. I think the gameplay will be designed based on this limitation so I'm sure the game will be as tight and expertly designed as any other mgs

Yeah, I suspect the prone position will become useful once more camo is unlocked, rather like Snake Eater. Lie in wait with a face full of jungle mud...then up and CQC like there's no tomorrow. Or zap.

Love the demo, really do.

Gen-A CFW to the rescue! What a big demo. Lengthy intro. Delicious.

Graphics are incredible. Is there a way to switch between the Shooting and Action modes with just a button rather than menu? If not, there needs to be. Can't decide if I like Action Mode with Auto-Aim or Shooting Mode for precision better yet. Just balloon'd my first dude, so that was fun :D

duckroll

Errr, action and shooting modes are just different control schemes. Auto-aim is a totally separate thing. You can toggle auto-aim on and off with the select button.

SecretBonusPoint said:
Gen-A CFW to the rescue! What a big demo. Lengthy intro. Delicious.

Graphics are incredible. Is there a way to switch between the Shooting and Action modes with just a button rather than menu? If not, there needs to be. Can't decide if I like Action Mode with Auto-Aim or Shooting Mode for precision better yet. Just balloon'd my first dude, so that was fun :D

Ah, so auto aim is working out fairly well then? I remember not really feeling it in MGS4 because it was a definite step down from dual analog, but since dual analog isn't an option, maybe I'll play through this game with it.

Besides, if you get into too many fights, you're not playing it right! :lol

Right, getting the hang of it now. Initially it felt a bit weird to have Crouch and stuff on the d-pad, so thats why I tried out Action mode, but I think Shooting mode is probably the primary way to play. Got too used to rambo'ing MGS4 I think, as theres a bigger focus on stealth again here which is preferred. Not being able to crawl makes things a lot more tactical as well as I can't just lay in the grass and snipe the shit out of everyone :lol

Would be nice if we could get an English demo soon but I doubt it, I just feel bad with Miller radio'ing me all the time and I am like "yes whatever you are saying Kaz, I do not understand it apart from GRENADU or AUTO-AIMU).

Really enjoying this. Is a massive step up from Portable Ops, and love how the live action cutscenes 'bleed' into the graphic novel stuff. That was very well done.

Cartman86

Banned
About to play demo, but i'm not excited after hearing all the defending of it amounting to "Hey I wanted VR missions and a bunch of levels to screw around with". MGS was never only about the gameplay for me. It takes the great story, visuals, unique design ideas, gameplay, voice acting etc for it to all come together for me. And comic cutscenes again? BLEH!!!!

Will never understand the venom people have for Ashley Wood's art. I can understand folks longing for the big console cutscenes, but Wood's work is the perfect animated interpretation of Yoji Shinkawa's MGS artwork. Big fat 'IMO' stamped right there, though.

Darkpen

Banned
GoncaloCCastro said:
Does anyone know if this demo works with the PS3 Ad-hoc party software?
I imagine that it should! We should get together on adhoc party :p

PSN: Darkpen

hurr

(mention this thread in the message, plox)

Anyways, just finished the demo, and wow, yeah, the graphics are intense! The opening! <3

SNAKUUUU

But man, that third mission is killing me. I got as close as 4:40 on the timer, and I still got a B ranking :S Maybe I need to take an initiative or some shit with the assault, instead of going all the way around them and flanking, lolz

But now that I've had my fill, I'm gonna go sleep.

SecretBonusPoint said:
Right, getting the hang of it now. Initially it felt a bit weird to have Crouch and stuff on the d-pad, so thats why I tried out Action mode, but I think Shooting mode is probably the primary way to play. Got too used to rambo'ing MGS4 I think, as theres a bigger focus on stealth again here which is preferred. Not being able to crawl makes things a lot more tactical as well as I can't just lay in the grass and snipe the shit out of everyone :lol

Would be nice if we could get an English demo soon but I doubt it, I just feel bad with Miller radio'ing me all the time and I am like "yes whatever you are saying Kaz, I do not understand it apart from GRENADU or AUTO-AIMU).

Really enjoying this. Is a massive step up from Portable Ops, and love how the live action cutscenes 'bleed' into the graphic novel stuff. That was very well done.

That's a good point about the crawling bumping up the difficulty. I hadn't thought of that. As long as the level design is centered around it, I might be in favor of this change. I crawled through 90% of MGS3 and MGS4, and it felt like cheating. If what you're saying is true, you're gonna have to really step up your game in the stealth department to excel in this game.

GOD I CAN'T WAIT. It sounds so perfect!

Its even massively improved, perhaps with Shinkawa doing some direct work on it or Wood throttling back his own style and going with Shinkawa's more. The transitions from gameplay models to the art scenes is really sexy looking.

Great idea about Adhoc Party above. Didn't think about that, but someone will have to work out all the menus and options first I guess!

Darkpen

Banned
autobzooty said:
That's a good point about the crawling bumping up the difficulty. I hadn't thought of that. As long as the level design is centered around it, I might be in favor of this change. I crawled through 90% of MGS3 and MGS4, and it felt like cheating. If what you're saying is true, you're gonna have to really step up your game in the stealth department to excel in this game.

GOD I CAN'T WAIT. It sounds so perfect!
Psh, that's not cheating; your character's name is Snake :p

Don't get your hypes up D:, but yeah, its pretty fun.

SecretBonusPoint said:
Its even massively improved, perhaps with Shinkawa doing some direct work on it or Wood throttling back his own style and going with Shinkawa's more. The transitions from gameplay models to the art scenes is really sexy looking.

Great idea about Adhoc Party above. Didn't think about that, but someone will have to work out all the menus and options first I guess!

I just saw a youtube video on how to host a game. Will do it right now!

Darkpen

Banned
SecretBonusPoint said:

It definitely looks like Shinkawa line work combined with Wood coloring, or Wood emphasizing more on his black line brush work like you see in his sketches, as opposed to his painterly approach from the MGS comics.

It could be either, but Paz's facial proportions look very Shinkawa-esque.

Gamefox

Neo Member
I have fat psp 5.50 GEN-B full, Ive changed the .text file in flash0
but I still the game could not be started (80010013)
PLEASE ANYONE SOS

Darkpen

Banned
GoncaloCCastro said:
I just saw a youtube video on how to host a game. Will do it right now!
:O!

*gets on*

I need sleep though D: If we do this now, let's make it quick :S Send a friend invite, castro D:

Chairhome

I'm on Gen-B, did the Version.txt thing, didn't work.

When I search my PSP for version.txt (after toggling flash0), I have 2 version.txt files show up. They show up under 260 and 271, why don't I have a 500 or 550 show up? Anybody know? Thanks...

Cartman86 said:
About to play demo, but i'm not excited after hearing all the defending of it amounting to "Hey I wanted VR missions and a bunch of levels to screw around with". MGS was never only about the gameplay for me. It takes the great story, visuals, unique design ideas, gameplay, voice acting etc for it to all come together for me. And comic cutscenes again? BLEH!!!!
Even though the artists are damn good and have made the graphics look as close to MGS3 as possible, I knew there was no way in hell they could fit real-time facial animations with the quality of MGS2/3 and I guess the proof is in the pudding. This is exactly why I wish Kojima was doing this game on PS3/360.

That being said its not like the cutscenes are terrible, still looks like its a good game, and it looks like its going to be fully voice acted this time.

My PSP is not recognizing the demo. It just says "Corrupted Data." I updated my firmware to 6.00 just for this so I'm not sure what the problem is. Anyone else having similar issues?

Pylon_Trooper said:
Will never understand the venom people have for Ashley Wood's art. I can understand folks longing for the big console cutscenes, but Wood's work is the perfect animated interpretation of Yoji Shinkawa's MGS artwork. Big fat 'IMO' stamped right there, though.

Wood is a fantastic artist, though I really did not dig his style used in the MGS comic adaptions for most part, his work on Portable Ops was gorgeous.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Is there any CFW available for PSP3000s units that allow this to run? I'm still usin 5.00.

I do have another legit PSP that I could use, but it's a PSP1000 and the screen sucks. At least I can still try it, but still, I'd rather use my 3000.

Pylon_Trooper said:
I think anything that makes this game look closer to MGS PO is a negative for a lot of people. I don't think people were that apprehensive about the cutscenes going into PO but a lot of people hated other parts of PO (controls, text dialog, level structure, story, even graphics) so much that they want Peace Walker to have nothing to do with PO. There are some people over at MGS:TUS who hate PO so much that they are trying to convince themselves its not canon.

Oh yeah bitches! Darkpen, me, GoncaloCCastro and another GAF dude finally A-ranked Tank Battle and got our sweet ass XMB wallpaper unlock.

I cannot decipher moon runes, but youre marked on Alerts and Something else, and Alerts are blanked out for Tank Battle. So whatever didn't happen to us (000) that last time got us the A!

Co-op is fun, don't quite fully understand it yet, but cool. Your own player shows as Snake and everyone else as masked dudes. BattleArmour dude has a helmet and visor as well which looks pretty bad-ass.

yurinka

Using CFW 5.50 Gen-A (Full) doesn't work (asks for a upper FW version).
I tried to change the version.txt file to a upper version and when it's going to start it throws "Impossible to run the game (80010013)" message error.

Try:

release:5.55:
build:3230,0,3,1,0:builder@vsh-build6
system:52556@release_555,0x05050510:
vsh6434@release_555,v52629@release_555,20090608:
target:1:WorldWide

in the version.txt, make sure its ticked to be used as well, and that its saving to flash0. Make sure all plugins are disabled as well.

Xater

yurinka said:
I tried to change the version.txt file to a upper version and when it's going to start it throws "Impossible to run the game (80010013)" message error.

ADAIK the version.txt thing does mo longer work. That's why I got rid of CFW.

SecretBonusPoint said:
Oh yeah bitches! Darkpen, me, GoncaloCCastro and another GAF dude finally A-ranked Tank Battle and got our sweet ass XMB wallpaper unlock.

I cannot decipher moon runes, but youre marked on Alerts and Something else, and Alerts are blanked out for Tank Battle. So whatever didn't happen to us (000) that last time got us the A!

Co-op is fun, don't quite fully understand it yet, but cool. Your own player shows as Snake and everyone else as masked dudes. BattleArmour dude has a helmet and visor as well which looks pretty bad-ass.

Yeah, co-op is really fun! The tank mission with four players is really cool and the syncing, from what I can tell, makes your life bar bigger and increases your camo index.

BattleMonkey said:
So in coop you see yourself as snake while everyone looks like some trooper dude, but each player they see themselves as snake?

Exactly right!

Holtz

yurinka said:
I had that error too. Go into Recovery mode > Configuration> Advanced Configuration and select games plugins DISABLED. That should fix it.
And damn, what a great demo. Really long, too. That tank kicked my ass for a while there, too. :lol

Darkpen

Banned
lol, poor Castro's PSP battery life died as we were doing the 2-man mission :S

Also, I noticed something interesting: If you maim someone with bullets a lot, or seemingly immobilize their leg, while they'll call in reinforcement or some such, they'll actually give up and put their hands on their heads regardless, without pointing your gun at them. Really curious.

They definitely threw in some new enemy animations in this game.

MDSLKTR

Pitch Black Flint said:
My PSP is not recognizing the demo. It just says "Corrupted Data." I updated my firmware to 6.00 just for this so I'm not sure what the problem is. Anyone else having similar issues?

It's probably because you copied it to the psp game folder with an extra folder after you unzipped it.
Make sure that when you click the folder "NPJH90063" you only have the eboot files and not an extra folder with the same name.

I love the game :D, controls are tight, graphics are psp2 quality, the animations and the subtle camera effects adds a lot more brutality to the cqc attacks andthe story trailer is sex. GOTY 2010

KurowaSan

GoncaloCCastro said:
Yeah, co-op is really fun! The tank mission with four players is really cool and the syncing, from what I can tell, makes your life bar bigger and increases your camo index.

I think you also share radar-like items, because that last tank mission i was getting the sonar whenever i deactivated the soliton radar that you get with the sneaking suit.

KurowaSan said:
I think you also share radar-like items, because that last tank mission i was getting the sonar whenever i deactivated the soliton radar that you get with the sneaking suit.

That makes sense, as you share info. Shame we couldn't tackle the tank like the GDC trailer with a smokebomb and using someone with the radar and binoculars as a spotter, but we nuked that bastard all the same. Perhaps we didn't take any damage the last time for the A?

Salaadin

Demo is good. I played some last night and this morning but I still cant get accustomed to the controls. I skimmed the thread but mightve missed this: Are there any translations for the menus and reccomended control schemes? Id like to screw around with them tonight but have no idea what Im doing once I enter the menus.

I was able to play through Portable Ops a good 4-5 times with those controls so Im sure I can get used to PW. I just need to adjust things to my liking, change the camera around, etc.

KurowaSan

SecretBonusPoint said:
That makes sense, as you share info. Shame we couldn't tackle the tank like the GDC trailer with a smokebomb and using someone with the radar and binoculars as a spotter, but we nuked that bastard all the same. Perhaps we didn't take any damage the last time for the A?

I'm not sure, because that last try, we were spotted again. I really don't know what was different between the two tries. Maybe we didn't let the tank move? i wasn't focusing too much on it as I was using the sneaking suit. I'm guessing the idea to get S is to CQC those 4 soldiers without the tank noticing. Using 4 battle suit snakes, one blows the first barrel at the back of the tank, while the other 3 keep shooting everything they have, then wait until the very last second to blow the second barrel. Maybe that way, 4 battle suit snakes will have enough time to destroy the tank while not giving it a chance to move or trigger alert mode.

MDSLKTR said:
It's probably because you copied it to the psp game folder with an extra folder after you unzipped it.
Make sure that when you click the folder "NPJH90063" you only have the eboot files and not an extra folder with the same name.

Wow. Never woulda thought of that. But you're right, it works now. Thanks so much. :D

Minamu

That couldn't have been Big Shell at the end. Too many struts missing but it sure looked like a similar design. And the drawn cutscenes looked like shit. I'm sorry but they did :( At least in the trailer anyway.

Pylon_Trooper said:

<--- appreciator of Ashley Wood's work too.

duckroll

KurowaSan said:
It worked quite well. I for one didn't notice lag and we were 4 players.

So you guys just did the tank mission right? That's the only one which supports all 4 players anyway. Did any of you try doing the 2 player co-op mission? It seems like it could be pretty fun assaulting the shack with 2 players.

Top Bottom