• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Adventure confirmed for the Xbox Live Arcade

Roto13

Mako_Drug said:
wut. NSMB and NSMB Wii?
Do you know what the post you quoted even means?
Anticitizen One said:
I downloaded the demo to see what all the fuss is about and was able to play through the level smoothly with zero glitches. Its dated and could have been designed better but its still a fun game easily the best 3D sonic game. Graphics were clear and relatively smooth on my tv.

Gaf is making it sound like its the worst game ever or that its on Sonic 2006 level. What a load of exagerated bullcrap.
I don't think anyone would dare to say Sonic Adventure is as bad as Sonic '06. Sonic '06 wouldn't even have been forgiven in 1999.

Roto13 said:
I don't think anyone would dare to say Sonic Adventure is as bad as Sonic '06. Sonic '06 wouldn't even have been forgiven in 1999.

I think it would have.

Consider the scale of most 3D platformers in 1999. Outside of overly-long snooze fests like Donkey Kong 64, a game like Sonic Adventure had a scale and scope that was beyond a lot of other platformers.

Roughly an hour of fully-voiced, dual-language, real-time cinematics. 8 hub-world maps. 13 levels, each containing multiple individual "parts". Six playable characters, each with their own gameplay style. Light RPG elements (skill upgrades, NPCs, a focus on storyline).

Sonic 2006 has all of that and more. Both Sonic Adventure and Sonic 2006 have their own advantages/disadvantages over one another, but for the most part, I would argue that they're pretty close in terms of quality.

It's all about perception, in that regard: Sonic Adventure was viewed as the next evolution for a good game franchise, and Sonic 2006 is viewed as a lazy retread that marks the literal bottom of the barrel. But if you switched their places, I don't think much would have changed. Either game, by today's standards, is dated.

Sonic Adventure has a reason for being dated. Sonic 2006 doesn't. How you feel about that depends on whether you want to weigh Sonic Adventure by 1999 standards or 2010 standards.

Roto13

Sega1991 said:
I think it would have.

Consider the scale of most 3D platformers in 1999. Outside of overly-long snooze fests like Donkey Kong 64, a game like Sonic Adventure had a scale and scope that was beyond a lot of other platformers.

Roughly an hour of fully-voiced, dual-language, real-time cinematics. 8 hub-world maps. 13 levels, each containing multiple individual "parts". Six playable characters, each with their own gameplay style. Light RPG elements (skill upgrades, NPCs, a focus on storyline).

Sonic 2006 has all of that and more. Both Sonic Adventure and Sonic 2006 have their own advantages/disadvantages over one another, but for the most part, I would argue that they're pretty close in terms of quality.

It's all about perception, in that regard: Sonic Adventure was viewed as the next evolution for a good game franchise, and Sonic 2006 is viewed as a lazy retread that marks the literal bottom of the barrel. But if you switched their places, I don't think much would have changed. Either game, by today's standards, is dated.

Sonic Adventure has a reason for being dated. Sonic 2006 doesn't. How you feel about that depends on whether you want to weigh Sonic Adventure by 1999 standards or 2010 standards.
Good fucking lord, no. Sonic Adventure is playable. Sonic '06 is not. I seriously couldn't finish the first level in Sonic '06, it was such a mess.

binary

Controlling Sonic just isn't as precise with the 360 controller as it was with the Dreamcast controller. Sonic tends to make jerky movements with the 360 controller that take away most of the fun for me.

binary said:
Controlling Sonic just isn't as precise with the 360 controller as it was with the Dreamcast controller. Sonic tends to make jerky movements with the 360 controller that take away most of the fun for me.

How recently have you played SA1 on the Dreamcast?

I actually find the game easier to control on the Xbox. The Dreamcast analog stick is tiny and doesn't have any grip.

binary

Hmm...it's probably been about 3 years since I played the Dreamcast version. Maybe it's just me. I love the heck out of Sonic Adventure, but it's all about being able to maintain your speed and I wasn't able to do that in the 360 version very well. I'll try the 360 version again.

DeVeAn

There is no way in hell Sonic 2K6 is the same or better than SA. SA you actually have control of Sonic most of the time. Sonic 2K6 has longer loads, horrible controls and broken gameplay.

vazel

Banned
binary said:
That's weird I would think nearly any controller out there would be an improvement. The Dreamcast's controller and the loud noises the GD-ROM drive makes were the only bad things about that console.

Blaze might have an argument if Sonic 2006 wasn't a broken buggy piece of shit.

I'd agree SA1 hasn't held up well, but I can still play it relatively hassle-free compared to 2006. Good lord.

Well, I was saying that they were close. :p

I will admit that I would rather play Sonic Adventure if I had to choose between the two. It is a better game.

Just perhaps not as much as some people think it is.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Looking back, I think the problem with Sonic Adventure is that it has, well, to many qualities from a subpar adventure game. I mean, a lot of "action stages" aren't much in the way of platforming, but instead wondering around what amounts closer to an on rails adventure game. Sonic Adventure 2 fixed that for the Sonic Stages, and IMO is all around better, but for some reason people just seem to hate it. I don't know what Adventure 1 has over 2. Are people giving "Classic Sonic" style that much of an advantage 1 has over 2?

Tomasooie

Sega1991 said:
Even 920x690 isn't going to account for this type of blurring:

2vx1wtu.jpg

Nor does JPEG artifacting, really.
Upon further inspection, you're correct. I was wrong. Sorry for my stubbornness...You have to admit, it does scale quite decently. But this is incredibly lazy on Sega's part.

TheOGB

Banned
Aaron Strife said:
Blaze might have an argument if Sonic 2006 wasn't a broken buggy piece of shit.

I'd agree SA1 hasn't held up well, but I can still play it relatively hassle-free compared to 2006. Good lord.
You stole my avatar. >:[

Next time, Aaron Strife. Next time.

Foxix Von

I downloaded the trial and fell through the floor at least 2-3 times:lol I popped in the DC version and had a go and no such trouble? Maybe it's just luck hah.

Also, there are weird black bars on the top and bottom of the 360 version. Which are strangely not present in DC version, another oddity was the brief load screen while switching to the next portion of the level. DC version just pauses for a second and then continues nearly uninterrupted.

And it's not overscan. My tv doesn't overscan my 360 or my DC, just my PS3 and anything running through composite or component.

SimonM7

I've finished Sonic 06 in nearly every way imaginable so it's definitely not literally "unplayable", but it is a damn stretch worse than Sonic Adventure is if you look at the core controls of it.

Sonic Adventure still has a reasonable pace to it, a jump that is floaty with a lot of air time and not too much momentum sideways resulting in the ricochet effect of latter day Sonics. The levels are also designed more to accomodate the short bursts of speed spliced into bits of genuine platforming the way the Megadrive Sonics were designed.

The deal breaker for Sonic Adventure was (to a lesser degree back then) and is (to a greater degree right now) the camera and collision detection. Sonic constantly gets stuck on geometry, twitches and spazzes and generally conducts fairly unpredictable business as soon as levels arc slightly. The camera chips in with its share of awkwardness also as perspective twists and turns and doesn't twice have the same effect on controls. Sometimes you're meant to hold forward to go forward, other times you're meant to "guide" him with the stick, and sometimes just be consistent yourself in holding the same direction as the camera spins around and wobbles.

All of these issues - and the ways to combat them - are already in your DNA if you played the game to death on the DC, but if you bring a new guy into it today and expect him to have a shadow of a chance to work it out before his MIND explodes from the awkward.. yeah that ain't happening.

06 has sorted nearly all the problems SA had with camera and collision detection but has a plethora of new control problems that make it infinitely less *fundamentally* playable.

theultimo

No 16:9, not even a stretch mode?

DX version costs 400 pts more?

So far its the PC version it looks like. A LOT buggier though, playing emerald coast has a few strange bugs. No seamless loading also, Now loading pops up DURING the stage cuts...

This is a pretty botched port so far. Its playable as the GC version, but the loading is killing it. And they couldn't throw any AA at all :\

My advice so far - stick with the GC or DC versions. The music is fine, the sound samples are like 11Khz, tinny and off, and the controls still fit better with the DC controller. The only good thing so far is that it runs 60FPS with no slowdown.

EDIT: So far playing 2 missions, its passable. If you do not own a Wii, GC, or DC, this will do fine for your entry in the SA franchise. However, if you DO own a Wii, GC, or DC, skip it :\

RobbieNick

Sonic Adventure is TONS better than Sonic '06. I'm getting sick of Gaffers trying to retcon the past to help fit their arguments better.

I do agree that the control on the 360 feels guite better than on Dreamcast. I seem to have better control over Sonic this time around.

theultimo

RobbieNick said:
Sonic Adventure is TONS better than Sonic '06. I'm getting sick of Gaffers trying to retcon the past to help fit their arguments better.

I do agree that the control on the 360 feels guite better than on Dreamcast. I seem to have better control over Sonic this time around.
I agree what that. I am still playing through it because it is SA, and I haven't played it in a while. However, they really rushed this one out sadly. For something that has been on partnernet as long as it has, it feels like they didn't really care to fix a few of the issues.

EDIT: Playing Windy Valley, I am having framerate hitches! WHY!!

I know it am nitpicking this game, but man, I remember it running smoother on DC.

But so far, its SA, and its still as good when it came out in 1999.

SimonM7

I can't speak for higher resolutions than 720p and 1080i here, but I wanna stress that this runs much much better than any prior release of Sonic Adventure barring perhaps the PC game.

Lost World and Sky Deck (?, the one with the bridges and holding on to stuff while wind blows) used to barely HAVE framerates on the Dreamcast and Gamecube versions of the game, and playing them with a more or less solid 60 is almost surreal.

It still drops from time to time (in other places than the other versions too, bizarrely enough) and that's disappointing, but it is by far the smoothest console release to date.

Roto13

I've been playing the PS3 version of Sonic Adventure for review. It looks like you have to unlock Metal Sonic after you buy the DLC. If it's the same as the other versions of DX (which I'm assuming it is), that means you have to collect all 130 medals. That's ridiculous. Most people will never do that. I wonder how many people bought the DLC for Metal Sonic and were pissed off by that?

Anything you pay for should be available as soon as you buy it. (Or at least reasonably early.)
DeVeAn said:
There is no way in hell Sonic 2K6 is the same or better than SA. SA you actually have control of Sonic most of the time. Sonic 2K6 has longer loads, horrible controls and broken gameplay.
I'm sure you meant "same or worse than" :p

theultimo

Roto13 said:
I've been playing the PS3 version of Sonic Adventure for review. It looks like you have to unlock Metal Sonic after you buy the DLC. If it's the same as the other versions of DX (which I'm assuming it is), that means you have to collect all 130 medals. That's ridiculous. Most people will never do that. I wonder how many people bought the DLC for Metal Sonic and were pissed off by that?
Its that way in the GC and PC versions. They should have put a disclaimer for it, but the achievement for Metal Sonic does say 130 emblems.

DeVeAn

Roto13 said:

Anything you pay for should be available as soon as you buy it. (Or at least reasonably early.)
I'm sure you meant "same or worse than" :p
Nope.

I played the 360 trial a few times as a loving dreamcast owner and I have to say I can't stare at the game without my eyes hurting, the borders on the sides are fine but since I play on vga I see it at the top and bottom too, so stupid, make is 720p you sega fuckers you know the pc version can do it in widescreen, fuck you sega.

Not going to buy it, why should I when the DC version is still better.

theultimo

Diablohead said:
I played the 360 trial a few times as a loving dreamcast owner and I have to say I can't stare at the game without my eyes hurting, the borders on the sides are fine but since I play on vga I see it at the top and bottom too, so stupid, make is 720p you sega fuckers you know the pc version can do it in widescreen, fuck you sega.

Not going to buy it, why should I when the DC version is still better.
I am playing it with a Sony Bravia, which I just set it to "wide zoom" which stretches it out, but no black lines.

theultimo said:
I am playing it with a Sony Bravia, which I just set it to "wide zoom" which stretches it out, but no black lines.
I am just totally boggled why the game plays in 640x and then resized, what sort of technique are they trying to use here? can't they just render an old game, pc port, at 720p on a console of today's power?

Seriously. It boggles me.

Roto13

theultimo said:
Its that way in the GC and PC versions. They should have put a disclaimer for it, but the achievement for Metal Sonic does say 130 emblems.
I actually did it in the GameCube version. :p

But Metal Sonic wasn't a selling point for the GameCube version. He was a secret. I'm ok with him as an unlockable character, but not if I'm paying extra for him.
DeVeAn said:
Then your post makes no sense. :p

theultimo

Diablohead said:
I am just totally boggled why the game plays in 640x and then resized, what sort of technique are they trying to use here? can't they just render an old game, pc port, at 720p on a console of today's power?

Seriously. It boggles me.
Yup, its sad that they rushed this out so quickly. I have to resort to TV hacks just to get what I want. It isn't looking good for any other DC ports :\

Sega1991 said:
I think it would have.

It wouldn't have been forgiven if it had been a Nintendo or PC game. Donkey Kong 64 may be a borefest to you, but Sonic Adventure would not have been selected over that game had they been released on the same platform as equals. The prospect of it being considered a good PC game is just plain silly by default, despite the state of technology at that time.

The only real reason why Sonic Adventure still holds, is because it was a visually superior game at the time and pretty much the only Dreamcast game besides Shenmue worth playing on that particular system.

Besides, few people played anything more than the Sonic stages anyway.

Which is also why the second game is garbage. Shitty friends were never much fun.

Sonic '06 would not even have seen release. It is an unfinished game, even on far superior tech to the previous TWO generations. The movies would have been lowres bink-movie flicks and would still be creepy btw.

That said, the DX version was already as "definite" as one could get, so I don't see a particular reason for this XBLA release anyway. And I sure as hell am not going to play Big the cat ever again.

I've already got all 130 emblems. Done ot on the Gamecube, and finished it again a couple of days ago on XBLA. There aren't actually that many difficult ones.

Still, I agree that it's bullshit that the DX add-on advertises Metal Sonic, but says nothing of him being an unlockable you only get after getting 100%. It's true that most people won't do that.

Metal Sonic just gets Sonic's levels though, so I really couldn't care less either way. To me, it's all about whether the 60 missions are worth 400 points, and as much I love the game (why else would I have got all 130 emblems) I'm not sure they are.

Went ahead and wrote an article about the leaderboard cheating here, because as you can see from the screencaps I took, it's starting to get out of hand. "THEno1SonicFan" seems to have at least -96 minutes on most of Sonic's levels.

Doubt Sega will do anything about it though :\

Don't worry 1991, if there's one thing Sega prides itself on, it's taking care of issues in its Sonic titles after they've hit market.

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
Jesus fucking Christ.

NO upgrade even to the visuals? That is sad and wasteful. I'd love to replay through this game, but not if they plan to make it look like ye olde shit.

theultimo

boutrosinit said:
Jesus fucking Christ.

NO upgrade even to the visuals? That is sad and wasteful. I'd love to replay through this game, but not if they plan to make it look like ye olde shit.
Nope. No 16:9 support, 480p uprezzed, no AA, and it crashes at various save points(I had it crash 3 times already). GJ Sega!

Note: If you HAVENT played this before though, its probably the easiest port to use. The GC one can be used on Wii, but you would need a GC controller and MC.

I haven't had any incidents of crashing, and I haven't heard of anybody else getting that either, so maybe something went wrong with your download?

As for the visuals, while I agree that the lack of widescreen sucks balls, I have no issues with anything else. Screenshots look pretty bad, but when the game is in motion, it's a smooth 60fos at all times, and everything is so fast, you don't notice stuff like jaggies, and backgrounds not blending in with water, etc.

At the very least, it's also worth mentioning that this version has the best looking character models. They're the same as the Gamecube/PC version, but nowhere near as shiny. In those versions, they all looked like they were wrapped in saran wrap/cling film.

Ben2749 said:
At the very least, it's also worth mentioning that this version has the best looking character models. They're the same as the Gamecube/PC version, but nowhere near as shiny. In those versions, they all looked like they were wrapped in saran wrap/cling film.

How shiny they are really depends on the level you're in. It varies from map to map.

This game doesn't sound like it turned out well, plus they charge you for DX upgrade. Guess I'll hold off. :(

Edit: I've glitch died twice already in the demo. :( Fuck this game.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
RobbieNick said:

Sonic Unleashed is vastly superior to both, however. :D

Roto13

dark10x said:
Sonic Unleashed is vastly superior to both, however. :D
Yeah. I didn't finish it and the werehog segments (like 75% of the game) were awful, but at least it's not a glitchy mess. And there's no fishing.

theultimo

Roto13 said:
Yeah. I didn't finish it and the werehog segments (like 75% of the game) were awful, but at least it's not a glitchy mess. And there's no fishing.
Fishing was boring yes, but Amy's Stages are the worst. Way too cute for me tastes.

Just beat the game again with everything - don't know if I will get all 130 emblems though.

simtmb

I loved Sonic Adventure for the DC, so immediately i want to get it on PS3 or 360. But need help on deciding, any differences between the two? I assume there would be none, but when it comes to multiplatform titles, i can't really decide which console to get it on as i don't...exactly have a preference. :lol

DonMigs85

simtmb said:
I loved Sonic Adventure for the DC, so immediately i want to get it on PS3 or 360. But need help on deciding, any differences between the two? I assume there would be none, but when it comes to multiplatform titles, i can't really decide which console to get it on as i don't...exactly have a preference. :lol
They look and run the same so just get it for whichever platform you wanna earn more Trophies/Achievments on... or controller preference maybe.

simtmb said:

I have a friend who bought it for the PS3.

The Xbox 360 version experiences very minor, extremely brief framerate drops in a small handful of places. They're so minor and so brief I can't even specifically remember where they happen, outside of inside the tornado in Windy Valley and during the falling ice structure portion of Ice Cap.

The PS3 version apparently does not have these framerate hiccups.

Besides that small detail, both versions are apparently identical.

SimonM7 said:
I've finished Sonic 06 in nearly every way imaginable so it's definitely not literally "unplayable", but it is a damn stretch worse than Sonic Adventure is if you look at the core controls of it.

Sonic Adventure still has a reasonable pace to it, a jump that is floaty with a lot of air time and not too much momentum sideways resulting in the ricochet effect of latter day Sonics. The levels are also designed more to accomodate the short bursts of speed spliced into bits of genuine platforming the way the Megadrive Sonics were designed.

The deal breaker for Sonic Adventure was (to a lesser degree back then) and is (to a greater degree right now) the camera and collision detection. Sonic constantly gets stuck on geometry, twitches and spazzes and generally conducts fairly unpredictable business as soon as levels arc slightly. The camera chips in with its share of awkwardness also as perspective twists and turns and doesn't twice have the same effect on controls. Sometimes you're meant to hold forward to go forward, other times you're meant to "guide" him with the stick, and sometimes just be consistent yourself in holding the same direction as the camera spins around and wobbles.

All of these issues - and the ways to combat them - are already in your DNA if you played the game to death on the DC, but if you bring a new guy into it today and expect him to have a shadow of a chance to work it out before his MIND explodes from the awkward.. yeah that ain't happening.

06 has sorted nearly all the problems SA had with camera and collision detection but has a plethora of new control problems that make it infinitely less *fundamentally* playable.

My god. I rented it from my library and couldn't get passed the first level.

Top Bottom