• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PPSSPP 0.75 released

have any of you guys tried this on your android devices?

I get 60FPS with SFA3 Max. Gundam vs Gundam Next Plus is around 8 to 16 FPS on Galaxy S2. Would a better cell phone hardware wise be able to run these better.

My PoP TFS still doesn't work. :( *sigh*

..... Yes.

So I guess its time to upgrade the cell phone or wait till another year for a mini android PSP. :) Why didn't sony make this for their Xperia line.

I imagine select titles would begin showing up on phones in the next few years, as it is they probably don't want to eat too heavily into what's left of sales via real PSP/Vitas... plus most phones can't handle the majority of games at full speed yet.

PFD

Fun fact: running most PSP games I tried in 4x native resolution on my PC causes an average GPU load of 2%. Really puts things into perspective.

I'm no expert, and I may be completely wrong, but doesn't the CPU handle most of the load when running an emulator?

Smo21

Anyone know how to get a ps3 or possibly Wii controller to work with an android phone? I can't do this on screen controls for any game that requires action. Even p3p is a real bother. Also any word on a Mac version?

Cerity

there are a few ds3 to android apps on the market iirc. You just need a mini usb to full size and then a micro to fullsize for initial pairing.

I'm no expert, and I may be completely wrong, but doesn't the CPU handle most of the load when running an emulator?

With hardware transform and rendering enabled in PPSSPP, most of the graphical work is offloaded to the GPU, even on the PC.

As a point of comparison, my much, much weaker GPU (AMD Mobility Radeon 4670) has an average GPU load of 50 - 60% when rendering res is cranked up to 4x PSP native res and 2x SSAA is enabled in a game like Monhun Freedom Unite. It just goes to show the extreme gap in GPU power between that of the PSP and modern GPUs. Even after all the Windows overheads and API penalties (not coded direct to the metal, HAL etc) have been taken into consideration.

CPU utlization on my weaker Core 2 @ 2.8GHz never exceeded 20 - 30% (35-40%) when hardware transform is disabled).

PSP emulation is definitely a lot less CPU heavy then PS2 or even GC/Wii emulation.

It's a testament to how awesome this emulator is when games that work are pretty much running mostly at full speed on older computers like mine (which struggle with Dolphin and PCSX2 for certain games like Zone of the Enders 2, MGS3, F Zero GX and The Last Story) and playable speeds on newer smartphones.

On the games compatibility front, I got Soul Calibur (US) to work on the 0.76 official release.

It was quite a tricky process of trial and error. Firstly, you have to untick Media Engine in the options. Secondly, after starting the game and skipping the intros, select New Game, then type in any name, and the most important part, do not save the game. Decline it and the game will tell you to save later in the Options menu.

If the game detects PPSSPP made save games for itself (not sure about PSP made save games, I'm going have to try that next), it will hang at the loading screen (With the numbers 8736 bouncing around) after starting a battle. For any mode. Which means that you can't save your game, yet.

Otherwise it's fully playable (all modes tested except for online modes of course), and it looks absolutely gorgeous as far as PSP games look when uprendered and anti aliased. Characters are highly detailed (individual fingers!) and arguably superior to Namco's own Tekken DR models. Also one of the more demanding PSP games to emulate at high resolutions and settings.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Well the latest one fixed some of Black Rock Shooter's audio but I still can't get past the intro screen for the first mission sadly.

Had a look at the recent commits at the Orphis build bot page.

Saw that Durante's also part of the dev team. He just implemented BRZ texture scaling in the options.

Knows that the project's in good hands.

Seik

Banned

Saw that Durante's also part of the dev team. He just implemented BRZ texture scaling in the options.

Yeah, that's good to hear indeed. Go Durante! :D

Oitoiff is back, and has released yet another new build for his A/V branch of PPSSPP based on the latest git revision as of May 4th 2013:-

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1ftGc2t9-dZS0lqZHlGUDJHLUk/edit?usp=sharing

Hi, here is a new build. It fixed horrible memory exceeded issue for atrac3plus audios. And it would also cache atrac3plus audio files, and clean them by calling cleanAudios.bat while PPSSPP is shuting down. If you want to keep audio files, you can simply delete or rename the cleanAudios.bat.

Also, it seems like basic Atrac3 support in sceAtrac using ffmpeg has been finally added to the main branch. Good work fellas.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Well guys, I'm happy to say I FINALLY got around to setting up my steering wheel and pedals to work properly in PPSSPP, and let me tell you....IT MAKES PLAYING RIDGE RACERS 2 A BLAST!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D

its-happening-ron-paul-gif.gif

Man, I must have played the game for 4 hours straight last night!!! Holy crap the game is SOOO much fun with a steering wheel, pedals and especially a shifter!! This is the way I have ALWAYS wanted to play this Ridge Racer game! It feels like playing in the arcade! Also Ridge Racers 2 looks AMAZING on PC when using 4x resolution rendering and 4x texture rendering on the latest svn build!!! Does anyone know what the original resolution of the textures are in the game? Let's hope they can put in even higher internal res options(10x res?) :D

Unfortunately the see cars, palm trees, lights, etc through walls, road and mountains glitch is simply too distracting on a few courses. I'll do my best to ignore it but man, looks like uncanny valley for sure LOL. Plus not having the rear view mirror is going to make playing the game quite difficult when I get to the later faster tours.

Still, all those issues aside, it's wonderful to be able to play this arcade classic game on the big screen with a wheel and pedals. It took a while for me to get the sensitivity in my wheel just right using ppjoy, but after a few calibration attempts, I got it just perfect! The steering on the wheel surprisingly feels very natural, or as natural as can be, given the relatively short analog range of the original PSP analog knob.

My hats off to Henrik and the other devs for the great job they've done so far. Once the see through road, mountains, etc glitch is resolved as well as the rear view mirror working, this will be the arcade racing game I will end up playing the MOST!! I'm just that big of a Ridge Racer cum dumpster.

Isn't it a shame how the devs of PCSX2 have had their emulator out for over 4 years, and STILL can't emulate Ridge Racer V for PS2 properly(ie horrible frame rates at certain parts of the track, terrible car graphic glitches in hardware mode, bad de-interlacing problems, etc), yet the coders of ppsspp have only had their emu out for a few months and they have ALREADY got Ridge Racers 2 working beautifully at a rock solid 60fps! Crazy! :cool:

My hats off to Henrik and the other devs for the great job they've done so far. Once the see through road, mountains, etc glitch is resolved as well as the rear view mirror working, this will be the arcade racing game I will end up playing the MOST!! I'm just that big of a Ridge Racer cum dumpster.

Isn't it a shame how the devs of PCSX2 have had their emulator out for over 4 years, and STILL can't emulate Ridge Racer V for PS2 properly(ie horrible frame rates at certain parts of the track, terrible car graphic glitches in hardware mode, bad de-interlacing problems, etc), yet the coders of ppsspp have only had their emu out for a few months and they have ALREADY got Ridge Racers 2 working beautifully at a rock solid 60fps! Crazy! :cool:

Come on now, I'm similarly singing praises at Henrik's team and the insane progress they're making with PPSSPP (Monster Hunter Freedom Unite is pure crack at 4x RR, 2xSSAA 60 FPS, and I've put in 87 hours+ into it already lol), but emulating the PS2's complex architecture (and keeping it all in sync) is an order of magnitude more difficult than the simpler single core CPU, single GPU (plus the media engine chip). The PCSX2 team's still producing new builds, just at a much more measured pace on Orphis.

Durante dude, you rock for bringing in all those texture scaling options into PPSSPP. So many to choose from in the latest git revision. xBRZ, Bicubic, Hybrid, Deposterize, 2x,3x,4x,5x, it's mind boggling.

Ridge Racers 2, ha. The game doesn't pick up until halfway through Pro Tour when it stops babysitting you by starting it with a 1v1. It's super fun, and is probably my most played arcade racer.

Since sajjaja is not around, I'll just post oitoiff's latest (as of 5/5/2013) audiovisual branch for PPSSPP here:-

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1ftGc2t9-dZNnhNQVpGZEJhWE0/edit?usp=sharing

Here is a new build. It fixes crash issue for atrac3plus audio in some games, tested with Shining Blade. And it also fixes graphic issue for 3rd birthday after video playing, hmm, it seems to work fine and I'm not sure if it brokes some graphic in some other games.

The PS2 is a much, much more complicated and completely different architecture than the PSP. There's a reason why even Sony could not get 100% emulation working in launch PS3s even when the hardware of a PS2 was included inside every PS3! Simply removing the EE but leaving the GS in the 2nd-gen "partial" BC PS3s reduced the number of games working to 80% or so. Emulating the PS2 is not trivial, that the PCSX2 guys have gotten it the point they have without any official hardware documentation whatsoever is something which should be celebrated, not belittled when compared to the much, much simpler PSP.

Durante

The project's in good hands because Henrik Rydgård is a badass and has been working on it non-stop for 194 days as far is I can tell. And of course there are some other awesome contributors as well. In comparison to that, I merely spent a few days making textures a bit nicer to look at :p

But yeah, it's a great project. I'd like to contribute more (particularly figuring out why Wild Arms XF doesn't work, since I love that game), but I'm basically swamped with work until June.

butanebob

Neo Member
Noob question - Is there any way to get music working? With JPCSC you had to install Sony's Sonicstage or something.... will that work with PPSSPP?

Durante

Noob question - Is there any way to get music working? With JPCSC you had to install Sony's Sonicstage or something.... will that work with PPSSPP?
Yes, the oioitff branch (builds of which are posted here) uses Sonicstage to decode atrac3+ audio.

Well guys, I'm happy to say I FINALLY got around to setting up my steering wheel and pedals to work properly in PPSSPP, and let me tell you....IT MAKES PLAYING RIDGE RACERS 2 A BLAST!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D

its-happening-ron-paul-gif.gif

Man, I must have played the game for 4 hours straight last night!!! Holy crap the game is SOOO much fun with a steering wheel, pedals and especially a shifter!! This is the way I have ALWAYS wanted to play this Ridge Racer game! It feels like playing in the arcade! Also Ridge Racers 2 looks AMAZING on PC when using 4x resolution rendering and 4x texture rendering on the latest svn build!!! Does anyone know what the original resolution of the textures are in the game? Let's hope they can put in even higher internal res options(10x res?) :D

Unfortunately the see cars, palm trees, lights, etc through walls, road and mountains glitch is simply too distracting on a few courses. I'll do my best to ignore it but man, looks like uncanny valley for sure LOL. Plus not having the rear view mirror is going to make playing the game quite difficult when I get to the later faster tours.

Still, all those issues aside, it's wonderful to be able to play this arcade classic game on the big screen with a wheel and pedals. It took a while for me to get the sensitivity in my wheel just right using ppjoy, but after a few calibration attempts, I got it just perfect! The steering on the wheel surprisingly feels very natural, or as natural as can be, given the relatively short analog range of the original PSP analog knob.

You guys need to post more pics heh

Shaneus

Do any of these GIT builds apply to the iOS version? I notice that the latest one is 0.7.6-419, but I don't know if that's significant or not. I just want to get decent sound out of Lumines :(

Can anyone confirm that the sound works fine on PC?

So I tried to download Sonicstage, and was met with

Please note that the download service for SonicStage® CP Software (SonicStage Ver.4.3) Update program will be discontinued from March 29, 2013 onwards.

SonicStage CP is compatible with Windows® Vista and older Windows® operating systems. However, as it is not compatible with Windows® 7 or future Windows® operating systems, we will be discontinuing the download service of SonicStage CP (SonicStage Version 4.3).

Found the download on cnet, downloaded it, and met with this screen:
7oc9Bmi.png

So is it not possible to download sonicstage anymore? That's kind of a bummer..

Do any of these GIT builds apply to the iOS version? I notice that the latest one is 0.7.6-419, but I don't know if that's significant or not. I just want to get decent sound out of Lumines :(

Can anyone confirm that the sound works fine on PC?

Git versions with decent sound and music (the oioitff branch mentioned in this thread) only work on Windows for the moment as Sound Stage can't be installed on iOS.

ector

Neo Member
Git versions with decent sound and music (the oioitff branch mentioned in this thread) only work on Windows for the moment as Sound Stage can't be installed on iOS.

Lumines works great without Atrac3 support though, it doesn't use it. Audio seems a bit choppy on iOS for whatever reason, I didn't do the iOS port so I don't know what's up with that.

Anyway, isamu will be happy to know that I just found and fixed the issue causing objects to show through walls and roads in Ridge Racer :)

Lumines works great without Atrac3 support though, it doesn't use it. Audio seems a bit choppy on iOS for whatever reason, I didn't do the iOS port so I don't know what's up with that.

Anyway, isamu will be happy to know that I just found and fixed the issue causing objects to show through walls and roads in Ridge Racer :)

Oh wow, I just noticed the fix in the latest revision, thanks a lot for that mate!

EDIT:- Seems like it broke Saint Seiya Omega on the other hand according to raven's remark on github.

Shaneus

Yeah, I have no idea either... it was the first game I tried so I wasn't sure if that was a thing for all games or it was just Lumines it was doing it to.

PS. You worked on porting this to something or other? Congrats! I'll try and read through the thread better so I can actually work out what you did ;)

Yeah, I have no idea either... it was the first game I tried so I wasn't sure if that was a thing for all games or it was just Lumines it was doing it to.

PS. You worked on porting this to something or other? Congrats! I'll try and read through the thread better so I can actually work out what you did ;)

ector's the main dev behind this project lol. The big boss himself.

Shaneus

ector's the main dev behind this project lol. The big boss himself.
A well-deserved lol if ever there was one! Just played a (personally ripped, thank you) image of Lumines 2. Ugh, so godly. Dumps all over the actual PC "port". Fantastic work, ector!

I think the tracks with video clips use ATRAC3 (I think that's the thing... the thing that requires a special codec. Still not up with the lingo yet) don't have music (but do have SFX), but the ones that are just regular levels are fine.

oldmario

anyone know what the file is i copy over from the older versions of ppsspp to get the list of previous games i played?

anyone know what the file is i copy over from the older versions of ppsspp to get the list of previous games i played?

Afaik, that's part of the config in the ppsspp.ini file located in your ppsspp directory.

Open the file in notepad, look for the entry called Recent = , after the = sign all of your recently played games should be there including their directory locations. Copy the whole entry from that file into the new ppsspp.ini file that you're upgrading to and save.

That should do the trick, I think. You're also limited to the last 12 games you played on the emulator.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
The PS2 is a much, much more complicated and completely different architecture than the PSP. There's a reason why even Sony could not get 100% emulation working in launch PS3s even when the hardware of a PS2 was included inside every PS3! Simply removing the EE but leaving the GS in the 2nd-gen "partial" BC PS3s reduced the number of games working to 80% or so. Emulating the PS2 is not trivial, that the PCSX2 guys have gotten it the point they have without any official hardware documentation whatsoever is something which should be celebrated, not belittled when compared to the much, much simpler PSP.

Thanks for the explanation. Point taken. I wasn't aware the PS2 was more complicated to emulate for than the PSP. Guess that puts things in perspective a bit. Still, I'm just frustrated RRV is still kinda glitchy. Just want to play it with proper graphics and framerate. Let's hope they get it fixed some day.

Anyway, on a much lighter note...guess what guys???? THE ISSUE PLAGUING RIDGE RACERS 2 FOR PSP WHERE YOU SEE CARS AND PALM TREES THROUGH THE ROAD AND MOUNTAIN SURFACE HAS BEEN FIXED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YIPPEEEEEEE This makes the game MUCH more enjoyable and isn't a distraction like before! More here:

http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=2865&page=5

Just a heads up, for all you Monster Hunter Freedom Unite aficionados out there emulating on the PC/other mobile platforms using PPSSPP.

The kitchen function, specifically the function that lets you ask your felyne chefs/slaves to cook meals for you has been broken since git release v0.7.6-389-gd952f74

If you get your felynes to cook a meal for you, the game will get stuck in an unresponsive loop after the bonuses/penalities of the meal has been conferred to your character. It happens without fail, pressing all sorts of buttons doesn't do anything, and those cats just endlessly clap their hands/shake their heads.

Last known working release that didn't have this issue is the one prior to it which is v0.7.6-387-g9922756

Sajjaja

Which plays God of War: Ghost of Sparta best: This or JPCSP?

If you have the computer to run the awful Java program, use JPCSP as it is a much more finished software and a lot more compatability. PPSSPP is still very much a work in progress with limited compatibility and different bugs and issues. Once PPSSPP is "finished," I'm certain it would be a better emulator, but as of right now, Java seems to get the job done better if you have the computer to use it effectively.

Oitoiffs new build as of May 13, 2013.
Hi, here is a new build for test. I just implement a filter to make dshow works as the similar way as ffmpeg. Now some issues such as bgm volume is under control in game menu, and it does not need temp files now and works more smoothly (Don't ask for mono at3+ because it's not supported by SonicStage).
Download Link: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1ftGc2t9-dZMjg0Vjd2UUNIQXc/edit?usp=sharing
By the way, it may highlight some issues for sceAtrac, because most games use atrac3plus.

Hmm, it seems there are some system dependence issues, the filter is not working.
I try to compile a higher version filter for WIN32, maybe you could try them to seem if it works.
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1ftGc2t9-dZbHZQMHdFc2N4NWc/edit?usp=sharing

jediyoshi

If you have the computer to run the awful Java program, use JPCSP as it is a much more finished software and a lot more compatability. PPSSPP is still very much a work in progress with limited compatibility and different bugs and issues. Once PPSSPP is "finished," I'm certain it would be a better emulator, but as of right now, Java seems to get the job done better if you have the computer to use it effectively.

That's a fairly complicated way of saying neither are "finished". Fortunately PPSSPP has a more sizable, active committer list so they're both still swimming along.

Top Bottom