• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who are your favorite black Nintendo characters?

zeldablue

Skull Kid!

Skull_Kid_Artwork_3d.png

Edit: Oh god. I guess all the blackface stuff is offensive. But I only find it offensive when watching the old 40s cartoons. When Nintendo is racist it seems so endearing. Well, as a minority who is also female I guess you have to learn to take these things lightly or you'd probably go insane. :D

To do my small part to take this thread back from the abyss, can I just throw out there that I would probably really enjoy a Punch-Out!! prequel where you box as young Doc Louis in his prime?

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay OT, but a lot of places in the world let black people have the vote earlier than the late 1960s
Yep. Americans like to promote the idea that we were ahead of the world in all sorts of ways like civil rights and things like that. When in reality, we were way behind.

I didn't think that Kalos might be lacking diversity because United States has more diversity. But I think there's a stereotype of diversity that we've promoted for a long time with ideas like the "melting pot". And that it might have influenced how some Japanese developers might see the United States.

Of course it isn't true at all. And plenty of places are much more diverse than the United States.

Loofy

I actually hate Twilight Princess Ganondorf since the Gerudo are brown and seem to be based off of the Middle East inspiration-wise, but then in TP they decide "Oh Ganon needs to look evil so.... just make his skin a ton darker!" If Ganondorf getting demon-powers changes his skin color to be black instead of brown... uh the terrible things you could read into it.
TWW Ganon is the same color too.

zeldablue

Yep. Americans like to promote the idea that we were ahead of the world in all sorts of ways like civil rights and things like that. When in reality, we were way behind.

I didn't think that Kalos might be lacking diversity because United States has more diversity. But I think there's a stereotype of diversity that we've promoted for a long time with ideas like the "melting pot". And that it might have influenced how some Japanese developers might see the United States.

Of course it isn't true at all. And plenty of places are much more diverse than the United States.
Besides Toronto and maybe Singapore, what's more diverse than us? (This is a genuine question that'd I'd like to be educated on. o___o)

I honestly thought we were the winners on that. 50% minorities and all that....

I actually hate Twilight Princess Ganondorf since the Gerudo are brown and seem to be based off of the Middle East inspiration-wise, but then in TP they decide "Oh Ganon needs to look evil so.... just make his skin a ton darker!" If Ganondorf getting demon-powers changes his skin color to be black instead of brown... uh the terrible things you could read into it.

For a looooong time the devil was depicted with black skin. We became more politically correct and so now he is red... But in Hinduism and other eastern cultures black is still strongly associated with evil, demons, savages and the ugly impoverished. Darker skin is still closely associated with that over there and I would consider it a strong part of their culture. (whitening creams?)

Roo

''Blacks = Monkeys'' racist shit. I wouldn't say it was a joke though, more offensive than anything.

Whatever, if that guy thought it really was a joke and didn't expect to be banned after that, the nerve.

It all stems back to racist (ignorant) theories that people close to the equator or of African origin are devolved or primal. It's a mess.

Wow really?
Man, that's disgusting. Hope he stays in the shadows for a long time.

Bravocado

The latest inductee:

tumblr_mh1mjoa0NT1rzfo3wo1_1280.jpg

Also, all black characters from the No More Heroes games. They may not count, but I'm just happy to make a post that relates to both Bayonetta and NHM.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
The latest inductee:

tumblr_mh1mjoa0NT1rzfo3wo1_1280.jpg

Also, all black characters from the No More Heroes games. They may not count, but I'm just happy to make a post that relates to both Bayonetta and NHM.

Im sure there will or ive seen some brothas in devils third aswell

Besides Toronto and maybe Singapore, what's more diverse than us? (This is a genuine question that'd I'd like to be educated on. o___o)

I honestly thought we were the winners on that. 50% minorities and all that....

The fact that you have to call them minorities says a lot you know .

The mammy pokemon gym leader. Wow.
I wonder if Nintendo or Game Freak knew what they were doing when they designed her clothes that way. Aside from the outfit, she doesn't seem all that very stereotypical.

Luckily, her characterization isn't a black stereotype.

Damn this thread has reached Off-Topic levels of racism. I am surprised and disgusted.

I see Jynx... Donkey Kong's family... Black Yoshi.. The mammy pokemon gym leader. Wow.

iSP8WlSjKaNmC.gif

I posted her in this thread and had no idea what you were so offended about, so I google'd "mammy" and well... the more you know.

I posted her in this thread and had no idea what you were so offended about, so I google'd "mammy" and well... the more you know.
It's a black stereotype that was really common in blackface. It kind of idealized black slavery and black women as slaves in homemaking. It also portrayed black women as kind of silly and made fun of them.

It upsets many people for all sorts of reasons. Because blackface degraded and made fun of black people, and made black people seem less than white people. Because it made black women seem emotional instead of smart. Because slavery was horrible and still has affects on how black people are treated today in many ways that people don't realize. And mammies made black women subservient to white people. And because black women still struggle with being seen as unattractive by society. And mammy characters were used to portray black women as unattractive.

And a lot of black women today who are plus size, are portrayed in ways that are kind of like a mammy, and also a "sassy black woman" stereotype. Which is often a way to make black women token characters and unattractive. This not only hurts self image in a society that doesn't seem to treat black women as attractive. But portrays black women in stereotypes that have a history in slavery, but also tends to make black women not very well characterized, as stereotypes rather than important and well written characters. Or at least that's my perception of it.

Luckily, Aloe only seems like that in some of her character design. She doesn't seem like a stereotype in personality or characterization. She doesn't act like a stereotype of a mammy or a sassy black woman.
She's not subservient or sassy, she's an important member of her town. And she has a significant other, who looks to be white. Or maybe Asian.

zeldablue

Mammys are a huge stereotype. Just look at Manet's famous Olympia...or watch Tom and Jerry. That's a mammy. Telma is also a mammy...but I like her character. They are suppose to be sassy, and extremely loving and motherly to others. They are usually housemaids, slaves or wet nurses. Watch "The Help" for nice story on that type of character. :p

Also the dark skin, light hair thing in anime is probably because of ganguro. oh Japan.

It's a black stereotype that was really common in blackface. It kind of idealized black slavery and black women as slaves in homemaking. It also portrayed black women as kind of silly and made fun of them.

It upsets many people for all sorts of reasons. Because blackface degraded and made fun of black people, and made black people seem less than white people. Because it made black women seem emotional instead of smart. Because slavery was horrible and still has affects on how black people are treated today in many ways that people don't realize. And mammies made black women subservient to white people. And because black women still struggle with being seen as unattractive by society. And mammy characters were used to portray black women as unattractive.

And a lot of black women today who are plus size, are portrayed in ways that are kind of like a mammy, and also a "sassy black woman" stereotype. Which is often a way to make black women token characters and unattractive. This not only hurts self image in a society that doesn't seem to treat black women as attractive. But portrays black women in stereotypes that have a history in slavery, but also tends to make black women not very well characterized, as stereotypes rather than important and well written characters. Or at least that's my perception of it.

Luckily, Aloe only seems like that in some of her character design. She doesn't seem like a stereotype in personality or characterization. She doesn't act like a stereotype of a mammy or a sassy black woman.
She's not subservient or sassy, she's an important member of her town. And she has a significant other, who looks to be white. Or maybe Asian.

:)

When I was a little girl I would feel pretty terrible about my race because it was considered undesirable. I always wanted blonde hair and blue eyed everything. It's a pretty negative thing how impressionable young black girls are and how quickly they start to hate how they look. There was a study that showed that black girls preferred the blonde doll to the black doll almost every time. And when asked why they preferred it, they said that the black doll was ugly. The two dolls were identical if you ignored the coloring. In our globalized world where a Caucasian woman is the only standard for beauty...you get a lot of people feeling left out. I don't think Asian women should obsess over eye-lid surgery to chase after something they aren't. They're beautiful without trying to emulate the globalized standard of beauty.

I of course, realize I have my own form of beauty now. I wouldn't change a thing about me. :p but for a long time I felt pretty terrible just by soaking in TV shows, magazines and books that only put us down. I don't really think it was a malicious thing that happened, it's just a bad consequence for non-Caucasian women. :p

Yay positive diversity. If Iris or whatever had existed when I was ten, she would've been amazing. :)

Also, I read through this thread and nothing has offended me yet. I think I'm a lot more tolerant for racism over sexism...even though I'm kind of affected by both. o_______o

I read about it some minutes ago, Thanks for the info anyways, I appreciate your detailed explanation.

KtSlime

I haven't read through the thread, but I have visions of racism for some reason

I do hear the complaint that Nintendo doesn't have enough black characters, but is that really true, I mean comparatively I would say they have a pretty diverse collection among their various franchises.

botty

Banned

Education.

Mesoian

Hey guys, what's going on in this thr- Jesus, really?

Okay well...good to see racism is still alive and well, we need these reminders from time to time...

I'm gonna go to bed.

Some Nobody

This feels appropriate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNcKUGlCQFY

C-Wizzy coming with the relevant social commentary.

Dude. So much BS in this thread. So. Freaking. Much. But this? This made it all worth it. Can't wait to show this to my friends.

There are so many racist jokes in this thread. :<

I thought NeoGAF didn't like racism. Is this considered funny to people rather than racist. I understand that many people aren't taking the topic seriously, but I guess I don't have a very good sense of humor, because that doesn't seem all that funny to me...

This thread was going to be racist the second they made it, unfortunately.

Mammys are a huge stereotype. Just look at Manet's famous Olympia...or watch Tom and Jerry. That's a mammy. Telma is also a mammy...but I like her character. They are suppose to be sassy, and extremely loving and motherly to others. They are usually housemaids, slaves or wet nurses. Watch "The Help" for nice story on that type of character. :p

Also the dark skin, light hair thing in anime is probably because of ganguro. oh Japan.

:)

When I was a little girl I would feel pretty terrible about my race because it was considered undesirable. I always wanted blonde hair and blue eyed everything. It's a pretty negative thing how impressionable young black girls are and how quickly they start to hate how they look. There was a study that showed that black girls preferred the blonde doll to the black doll almost every time. And when asked why they preferred it, they said that the black doll was ugly. The two dolls were identical if you ignored the coloring. In our globalized world where a Caucasian woman is the only standard for beauty...you get a lot of people feeling left out. I don't think Asian women should obsess over eye-lid surgery to chase after something they aren't. They're beautiful without trying to emulate the globalized standard of beauty.

I of course, realize I have my own form of beauty now. I wouldn't change a thing about me. :p but for a long time I felt pretty terrible just by soaking in TV shows, magazines and books that only put us down. I don't really think it was a malicious thing that happened, it's just a bad consequence for non-Caucasian women. :p

Yay positive diversity. If Iris or whatever had existed when I was ten, she would've been amazing. :)

Also, I read through this thread and nothing has offended me yet. I think I'm a lot more tolerant for racism over sexism...even though I'm kind of affected by both. o_______o

This is worth asking at some point (but I won't because I don't really fuck with GAF OT like that), but I've always wondered what are we doing when we raise young girls that we aren't doing to young boys, that they feel like they have to be like someone else? I've never wanted to be anything but myself--is that just male arrogance? Or is it something specific in the way we treat children, based on gender?

zeldablue

In defense of Japan, Jynx and the other blackfaces are based off of veeeery ancient Japanese demons like Yamanba, the mountain witch and other creepy ghostly spirits. Yokai are often depicted like this and they are ghostly dead people...not racist caricatures.

This is worth asking at some point (but I won't because I don't really fuck with GAF OT like that), but I've always wondered what are we doing when we raise young girls that we aren't doing to young boys, that they feel like they have to be like someone else? I've never wanted to be anything but myself--is that just male arrogance? Or is it something specific in the way we treat children, based on gender?

...girls are obsessed with self image because their worth is directly tied to their physicality and sexuality. Boys are taught to be strong and protective and bring bread to the table in whatever way. So basically boys = violence and industry/money and girls = become as attractive as possible so a man can give you money and protect you.

I notice that if you take a picture of a girl while they aren't prepared (not posing/wearing makeup) they are often so disgusted by the picture that they are brought into a terrible mood. Their self esteem gets set easily wrecked by a simple picture. And that is because a lot of women measure their worth in beauty instead of what men measure their worth in (their job and strength.) if you want to know why I was so sensitive as a kid about my image, it was because I thought I would be unloved by everyone if I didn't chase after the ideal beauty. Also my teachers were straight up racist so I sometimes wished I was white so I'd be treated fairly... :/

This is why women whine about self image while many dudes see little offense in it.

KtSlime

Isn't the "I want to be big and strong and manly just like that superhero/solider/athlete" mentality (I would assume most) boys have just that?

really? The fuck?

A list of some pokemon by their color dex, which is a real feature in the game.

These are real black pokemon, this isnt a racist approach at all.

I thought i was being clever, until i checked that some of the pokemon i posted arent in the black dex list :[

knkng

so uh... what kinds of "jokes" are there where the setup can never be perfect enough???

None? It was so on the nose it would be silly not to make the joke.

And just to be clear, I'm not the one who posted images of ghost-type pokemon as being black people. I was just correcting the racism (Gothitelle is psychic).

EDIT: Ah, I see he was posting based on their color dex, but it's still incorrect.

None? It was so on the nose it would be silly not to make the joke.

And just to be clear, I'm not the one who posted images of ghost-type pokemon as being black people. I was just correcting the racism (Gothitelle is psychic).

EDIT: Ah, I see he was posting based on their color dex, but it's still incorrect.
I got some of them right!
mad.gif

I never new my favorite pokemon is in the Black dex, it is too colorful to tell.
250px-441Chatot.png

The more you know!

Top Bottom