• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the BEST game character design in your opinion? (pictures included)

Solid Snake from MGS1 is my pick.

fHhGYr5.png

My biggest bum out in gaming history is that we never got a chance to play as Solid Snake in his prime in any other game. Sons of Liberty does not count, and it shouldn't. Kojima will always be on my shitlist for that.

Astral Dog

Shit,its very difficult to pick just a few :p
First, i absolutely love the Masked Lumen Sage from Bayonetta 2 also, her new design is just perfect, and it has my favorite color too:
bayonetta-2-masked-lumen-sage-bo-620x350.jpg

Ganondorf_Wind_Waker.png

The best version of Ganondorf by far.

Bowser_Super_Smash_Bros_Brawl.jpg

I think Bowser deserves a mention.

dmc4_guide_1202258732.jpg

I dont need to explain them.

1191317-bigthumbnail.jpg

The Resident Evil Cast in general, my favorites are Jill, Rebecca and Leon.
412MB637SQL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Snake has a very cool design, mostly in MGS1 and 2.
gifs-animados-alice-madness-returns-1542808.gif
American McGee Alice.
And many others, from Castlevania, Sonic,Kingdom Hearts,Final Fantasy, Zelda,Bioshock,Metroid,etc. but i wont list them :p

Mephala

I expected to see Chris Lightfellow, always liked her design but i think Suikoden series has some great designs in general.
Tir, Jowy, Riou, Hugo, Flik, Victor, Pesmerga, Clive, Luc and many others are very nice, not just Chris but Chris is noticeable I think for being an awesome female lead character design which is less common.

From Soul Calibur, Hildegard is my favourite and deserves more love.
RyK0OjK.jpg

Hazama is one of the best designs, assuming your intentions was to design a complete asshole for your opponents to hate. His posture, moveset and animations are all somewhat mocking.
XzaRUqb.gif

Fire Emblem has some pretty great designs (and some pretty awful ones too).
Ephraim and Flavia
hSIp5W8.png
tdKx4aA.png

Super_mario.jpg

Mario. All he is is a dude with a mustache, overalls, and a hat. Simple. Efficient. Effective.
They were able to render him with 4 colors. They are able to render him to be as lifelike as a Pixar character. There aren't many characters that are able to translate well in any era of gaming - that makes a great design.
Very well said

My biggest bum out in gaming history is that we never got a chance to play as Solid Snake in his prime in any other game. Sons of Liberty does not count, and it shouldn't. Kojima will always be on my shitlist for that.

LOL i remember playing MG2, thinking to myself the whole time, when the fuck do i get to play SS again, that was, one of the best character designs of all time.

ryu_third_strike_hd_by_steamboy33-d4tcf9b.gif

This RYU not the shitty model from the street fighter 4 series.

Ninja_Gaiden_Widescreen_by_TheDarkMan.png

Forkball

Suikoden III as a whole. I know some people have posted Chris and Hugo, but so many characters have great designs that are all very different yet fit coherently into the world.

Props to anyone that mentioned Street Fighter and 80/90ties Capcom's stuff.

What's wrong whit you guys? That's the best and most successful design of all time
MarioNSMBWii.png

That's perfection. It has roots in old Japanese comics, it's simple yet iconic, he has a super hero wibe thanks to it's M on the cap yet he's an every day guy thanks to fat and 'staches.
There's no way somebody doesn't know him. His more famous than Mickey Mouse.

I know you people are thinking: "oh Mario it's boring". And that's why, thank god, you'll never design anything. Mario it's not made to easy please people, like your average anime or shooter character, but he's made to live in long term memory of everyone. He's made to make you feel home every time you see him.

spirity

There's no way somebody doesn't know him. His more famous than Mickey Mouse.

Hmm, I don't know about that really. I'm pretty sure if I showed Mickey Mouse and Mario to my parents, they'd only recognise Mickey Mouse. Mario is arguably the most iconic/famous video game character of all time (I say arguably because Pac Man is up there too), but more famous than Mickey Mouse? I doubt it.

Synth

I know you people are thinking: "oh Mario it's boring". And that's why, thank god, you'll never design anything. Mario it's not made to easy please people, like your average anime or shooter character, but he's made to live in long term memory of everyone. He's made to make you feel home every time you see him.

Why you gotta be so condescending? Nobody's even disagreed with you yet, and you're already going off at them in advance, trashing potential characters they may like...

And what makes you so sure they'll never design anything?

Bishop89

ape-escape-3-20050930020137667.jpg

All Apes from Ape Escape

1190494-dead_space_art_01.jpg

Isaac armour from ds2

darksiderswar.jpg

War - Darksiders

url

Lilith - Borderlands

Xion_the_Unborn.png

Xion the unborn (Animal form) - Bloody Roar 3

DOOM4_teaser_02-590x330.jpg

Cyberdemon - Doom (4)

adam-jensen.jpg

Adam Jensen - Deus Ex HR

Sin.jpg

Sin - FFX

Kessler_original.jpg

Kessler - infamous

Guacamelee_Artwork_7.jpg

Carlos Calaca - Guacamelee

6489157_orig.jpg

Pretty much every character/enemy in GOW franchise

HalfLife_GMan.jpg

Gman - Half life

IoriYagamiXI.png

Iori - King of Fighters

7102283_f520.jpg

Ninjas (Particuarly scorpion) - MK

20100228205111!Solid_Snake_The_Twin_Snakes.jpg

Snake and most characters from the franchise - MGS

samus_tribute_by_wen_jr-d7dwi73.jpg

samus - metroid

22125Y4_AKIYAMA_002.jpg

Akiyama - Yakuza
eGdlaDg2MTI=_o_yakuza-4---kazuma-trailer.jpg

Kazuma

sweet.jpg

sweet tooth - Twisted metal

3679370-3507775-sfxtk-pro-yoshimitsu.jpg

Yoshimitsu - Tekken

e2c165531eee8b91cd34b71ffcdb842c-d3cjmvf.jpg

Glacius - Killer Instinct

SFA2.png

Entire SFA2 cast

Garuda_%282%29.jpg

Garuda - SFEX

kerrigann.jpg

Kerrigan - Starcraft

6150822_std.jpg

Onikage + Rikimaru - Tenchu

albert_wesker_by_lena14081990-d48c5lv.jpg

wesker - resident evil

Killzone2_Infantry_Wallpaper_2_by_yurtik.jpg

All Helghast - Killzone

Luna Sy

Neo Member
When it comes to that subcategory of characters that look like "just some guy", this is my favourite:

Tb6.jpg

He looks like an endorser of Domino's Pizza.

I've always adored Kazuma Kaneko's demon designs, especially the humanoid ones. Some of them have a very surreal and alien-like quality to them which really contributes to the unique look and feel of the Megami Tensei games.

x1pGg9EMswqL--lIv4oGriHqr2VeK1-o2gI4q9bDnJrDsM6U9BoQ-YTC8SoLf5K6DgPLtO46DKyVKu1As-lg67iz6qD3ApBIT2G7CN9jMchzEKJymH8danF0EfhEPPWqOz9IIlzqn938kOt6MVMQqsAOg
1134.jpg

I've always adored Kazuma Kaneko's demon designs, especially the humanoid ones. Some of them have a very surreal and alien-like quality to them which really contributes to the unique look and feel of the Megami Tensei games.
Nitpicking, but Kaneko didn't design Izanagi or the main personas from P3/4. Shigenori Soejima is the one responsible for those.

But yes, Kaneko is brilliant. It's a real shame he didn't do the demon designs in SMT4.

Luna Sy

Neo Member
Shigenori Soejima
Ah. Wouldn't have known unless someone pointed it out. As some of them (Izanagi, Himiko, Hermes, to name a few) still have those traits that I really like in Kaneko's humanoid designs (sleekness, use of strange patterns & geometry).

The new demons in SMTIV look alright, but the style is distinctly different. It doesn't give off the same "feel" I get from the old ones.

balgajo

Link from The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess.
Link_Artwork_1_(Twilight_Princess).png

I honestly think his look is amazingly iconic; simple, logical and distinct. The TP character model is probably my favourite.

I swear we have this thread every other week... oh well, more excuses to post Raziel :)

402647-raziel_poster.jpg

You guys nailed my two favorites on the first page!
I'm proud!

Also TP Link has the best character and the best hair design ever.
tp_art_link03.jpg

Fox the Sly

Can't believe no one posted the Judges from Final Fantasy XII. Although gaudy, I still think they're really elegant.

070717125210_29.jpg

Also...

Triss Merigold from The Witcher 2. I love that she is not hyper sexualized, but still... sexy
aside from the Playboy shots! *howl* ;)
314_max.jpg

Jedi Knight. I love the juxtaposition of the battle armor and cloth cowl. Looks so good.
JediKnight-TOR.jpg

Ganondorfo

AyaBrea-1.jpg

Aya Brea from Parasite Eve 1, so hot, she needs a game for the PS4 (no not the like Third Birthday, more like the original)

Drac84

Harvest Moon protagonist. Like Mario the design is simple, yet instantly recognisable.

257px-Harvest_moon_64.png

Also, the HM cow is a psuedo mascot for the game, and I love this design.

art-003_sm.jpg

George Stobbart from Broken Sword. A simple everyman, yet again, is instantly recognisable as the face of the series. A lot of character designs are defined by what they wear, but for George it's all in the face and hair.

a7a821517cae0bac64c67aee64abda984e3ad183_full.jpg

Hildegard von Krone, Soul Calibre. Dat armour!

hildesc4.jpg

John Marsden, Red Dead Redemption. Such a bad-arse. You knew he had a rough, shady past within seconds of seeing his face.

250px-John-Marston-red-dead-redemption-14740700-494-599.jpg

Shepard, Mass Effect. This is all about the N7 armour, which remarkably managed to make both John and Jane recognisable.

Mass-Effect-Male-and-female-Shepard.jpg

Morrigan - Dragon Age. I really liked the concept art for the character, but felt the in-game implementation did a really poor job of reflecting the original design. Also the voice (whilst I love Claudia Black) really didn't suit this design IMO.

morrigan_3.jpg

Iota from Tearaway. Adorable, I love this guy. Almost every character/creature in Tearaway is wonderfully designed.

480px-Iota_Iota.png

Max - Sam & Max. Something I really admire in character design is when personality is conveyed visually. Take one look at Max and you can instantly tell he's an utter psychopath.

sammax6.gif

Von Koz

Neo Member
I really dig Niers design. It may not have been executed that well in the game, but I think it perfectly capture the weathered stern look of the character.

tumblr_static_168-nier.jpg

UnrealEck

I love Planescape: Torment to death but I wouldn't say any of the character designs look particularly good. Most of them are rather ugly, really, which is probably thanks to the crummy CG and artwork they used for the movies. Memorable, certainly, but not great. It also doesn't help that, for a team who obviously spent a ton of time researching the setting, several of the characters look completely wrong. Annah looks more like a reject from Biker Mice than an actual Tiefling, the Nameless One isn't nearly as much of a wreck as his description implies (also, dreads? Come on, he's looking for his past, not a place to buy weed), and Falls-From-Grace is just boring, with none of the charm that is present in her personality. Dhakkon and Nordom are ok by virtue of being a fairly vanilla example of their species and Ignis and Ravel are admittedly neat ideas but even their execution doesn't live up to the text.

I thought he was talking about general design from a background/personality perspective. Seems the thread has (if it wasn't initially intended to be, turned into) being solely about visual design.

sn00zer

Not a fan of Twilight Princess at all...only game to make me throw a controller BUT BUT BUT....has some of the best marriage between form and function in character design. Very few overdesigned characters, everything is purposeful. in world..really really great design all around

RE6's China stage Leon is arguably one of the better character designs of all time.

cRrwzea.png

Good suggestion. I have a bit of a man-crush on Leon, and very much liked his outfit in the downtown China chapters. In fact, I think all outfit designs for him have been pretty great:

l18331-leon-s-kennedy-73955.jpg

Leon_Kennedy.jpg

(I know this is the same with a jacket on, but I think he wears it like a boss)

3cb2d-resident_evil_6___leon_s__kennedy_render_by_leonskennedy4815-d4n19b5.png

Top Bottom