• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV TGS 2014 Trailer | Lord Nomura giveth us His only Son so we may live

So how would everyone here rate the trailer? What did you like/not like? Did it make you more or less excited? Curious to hear people's thoughts.

I would rate it 10/10 just because of the scale and the remarkably real sense of character they imparted with the idle banter. It's great to see the "world map" even if we don't know enough about it yet, and it's even better to see that adamantoise(?) confirming the massive scale of some aspects of that game. I mean my god, this is unprecedented in Final Fantasy and in JRPGs in general. The set pieces could be a truly revolutionary leap forward for the series.

However, I have to note that this trailer despite blowing me away is not what I wanted at all. It doesn't answer any questions for me at all, and it seems to go out of its way not to show off any interesting systems the game my have. The HUD looks even more stripped than before, there wasn't a hint of magic or summoning, and showcasing mainly combo attacks made the combat look slower and clunkier than it was in 2013 which is a huge concern for me. I need to see free flowing gameplay before I can be anywhere near satisfied. It leaves so much up in the air and I'm getting nervous now.

After hearing all those characters speak Japanese for so many years, I hope they include dual audio or have a free download like LR did. I'm not sure if I want to listen to them in English anymore, lol.

---

Also, I'd rate the demo fairly high. I liked what they were going for, but sort of wish they showed a bit more of the combat/teleporting mechanics. And a lot of the car scenes were a little pointless with some weird dialogue (wanting a bath lol). The road trip vibe was sort of cool, too. Obviously, the game was gorgeous and the music amazing (SHIMOMURA! <3). And I loved the ending of it.

iosefe

I would rate it 10/10 just because of the scale and the remarkably real sense of character they imparted with the idle banter. It's great to see the "world map" even if we don't know enough about it yet, and it's even better to see that adamantoise(?) confirming the massive scale of some aspects of that game. I mean my god, this is unprecedented in Final Fantasy and in JRPGs in general. The set pieces could be a truly revolutionary leap forward for the series.

considering we got Garula and Goblin, and that FFXIII's Adamantoise was also big, It's without a doubt Adamantoise

and it is gloriously huge. i can't help but want to climb on it's back and attack a weak spot with a small sword

Those were good ol' goblins in the cave. I must say, they really hit the atmosphere of it. The sound emitted from those creature in the dark, echo-y cavern is creepy in the great way.
When I first saw those things in the dark, I thought they might be XV's take on the creatures from The Descent. But I was surprised that they were the classic Goblins.

And damn, if those volcanic fissures in the cavern don't create some moody atmospheric lighting, I don't know what does. It looks beautiful!

After hearing all those characters speak Japanese for so many years, I hope they include dual audio or have a free download like LR did. I'm not sure if I want to listen to them in English anymore, lol.

---

Also, I'd rate the demo fairly high. I liked what they were going for, but sort of wish they showed a bit more of the combat/teleporting mechanics. And a lot of the car scenes were a little pointless with some weird dialogue (wanting a bath lol). The road trip vibe was sort of cool, too. Obviously, the game was gorgeous and the music amazing (SHIMOMURA! <3). And I loved the ending of it.

Preach for the dual audio or free DL for the voices, seriously I'm so used to hearing them in Japanese that I think the eng VA is going to lack substance.

KupoNut

Not sure if new but seems like the logo got a small color update. New one is more vibrant and has more blue/red in it at the edges.

TVZZDUO.png

(took the Episode Duscae logo but it's the same for the regular FFXV logo in the trailer)

raven777

Not sure if new but seems like the logo got a small color update. New one is more vibrant and has more blue/red in it at the edges.

TVZZDUO.png

(took the Episode Duscae logo but it's the same for the regular FFXV logo in the trailer)
Yea I posted this eariler in the thread. Intersting thing is that for JP version of the trailer, thr logo color is same as 2013. Only EN trailer logo and logo for Episode Duscae its different color.

OsirisBlack

Banned
So how would everyone here rate the trailer? What did you like/not like? Did it make you more or less excited? Curious to hear people's thoughts.

I would give it a strong 9 out of 10, I really liked the art direction and how the combat looked. Was iffy on the cars interaction with the road but also know that this is still pretty early.The music made everything that was decent great and everything that was great amazing, for me the music was the highlight of the trailer. The graphics were amazing and look like they are going to push the new consoles pretty hard. Cannot wait for this one to drop.

injurai

Banned
Preach for the dual audio or free DL for the voices, seriously I'm so used to hearing them in Japanese that I think the eng VA is going to lack substance.

No kidding. I can't think of a Japanese series outside of mgs that has really impressed me by the english VA work.

tookhster

I'm liking the dinosaurs and the bro-trip. But man oh man, I hate it when they end the trailers with stuff like "almost there" just to keep reminding people that it's a thing. I don't care, just finish the damn game already.

Dark_castle

When I first saw those things in the dark, I thought they might be XV's take on the creatures from The Descent. But I was surprised that they were the classic Goblins.

And damn, if those volcanic fissures in the cavern don't create some moody atmospheric lighting, I don't know what does. It looks beautiful!

As for me, I thought it was XV trying to replicate the mood of The Forest. Anyway, I loved it. Always nice to explore creepy environment in RPG. Can't wait to see more.

I know I shouldn't have to say this, but, worth pointing out that the combat we have seen here are really all rudimentary, basic moves that are quickly available to us. There will be a lot more coming later on, when magic spells come into effect, buff/debuff, every characters with their own unique abilities, how Noctis's Linkform will come into play, Prompto's TPS advantage, deeper group combo mechanism via strategic character control switch, monster climbing ala Dragon's Dogma, summon, fighting using environment, magitek armor, and so on.

One thing I don't like about the trailer is that it wasn't ready to showcase more of other gameplay elements yet. I guess this TGS trailer is really mainly made for the demo, which is why they don't want to spoil too much of other important game systems just yet.

considering we got Garula and Goblin, and that FFXIII's Adamantoise was also big, It's without a doubt Adamantoise

and it is gloriously huge. i can't help but want to climb on it's back and attack a weak spot with a small sword
Kinda reminds me of a combination of many different Adamantoise designs. It's new(very much FFXV's original take on the classic enemy, unlike Garula and the Goblins), but it's tusks' double edges might be slightly inspired by Amano's Adamantoise design, and it's "rhino horn" seems to be inspired by FFXI's Adamantoise variant. Interestingly enough, Amano's Adamantoise design is the only one with those kinds of shaped tusks and FFXI's variant type is the only Adamantoise with a rhino-like horn.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.

10/10

Short but extremely effective at showcasing bits of character, plot, gameplay, scale, atmosphere, graphics, music, and overall hype.

We'll see. But most people would probably say from this footage there's reason to be optimistic.

Can I ask why? Was there similar excitement for FF13's reveal or does this trailer do away with the restraints on that game?

I'm excited btw, but I never touched FF13.

Im.guessing the giant enviromments in.this trailer are explorable?

I would give it a strong 9 out of 10, I really liked the art direction and how the combat looked. Was iffy on the cars interaction with the road but also know that this is still pretty early.The music made everything that was decent great and everything that was great amazing, for me the music was the highlight of the trailer. The graphics were amazing and look like they are going to push the new consoles pretty hard. Cannot wait for this one to drop.

Seconded.

Also, loved finally seeing the road trip (and banter), and some of the fields/caves and combat out there.

Neat, I totally forgot about this article from last year.

Can I ask why? Was there similar excitement for FF13's reveal or does this trailer do away with the restraints on that game?

There was a lot of hype surrounding XIII, which started to deflate when the demo came out. People held out some hope for the final game in terms of its linearity but we all know how that turned out. Just as these XV trailers show lots of promise and are immensely hype inducing, I think for many of us XIII produced similar responses. The only contrast, in my opinion, is setting/characters and promises seeming far more appealing in XV.

Best to go in with expectations grounded, but so far SE has been making really out of character good decisions. Hoping for some good details in next weeks Famitsu.

I'd rate the trailer 10 / 10

Beautiful music, gorgeous graphics, nice banter between characters, and nice looking combat.

The only complaint I have with it is not seeing any magic. I'm curious if it will have classic spells like Watera, Fira, etc. or if it will be an entirely different system.

It's for sure interesting seeing the stark contrast of fantasy (adamantoise) and the more realistic (the car).

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

There was blind excitement at FF13's reveal. Nothing was shown but people were hyped based on the quality of SE's game output prior to that. The more people heard about that game from the linearity to the story, people's hype deflated

This trailer on the other hand, has people actually being hyped about the game content shown.

And yes, the game is supposed to have huge environments.Its not open world, but its like FF12, with major areas being explorable and being very big and open and filled with monsters to fight and level up and farm. Its also supposed to have a day and night cycle.

And yes, the game is supposed to have huge environments.Its not open world, but its like FF12, with major areas being explorable and being very big and open and filled with monsters to fight and level up and farm. Its also supposed to have a day and night cycle.
I think a good example would be Cerobi Steppe(which was pretty expansive and gave the illusion that is was massive), or a lot of the areas of Xenoblade Chronicles(which despite being broken into zones, have this grand scale feel to them).

DeSolos

who is Roberto ferrari and what exaclty did he design, anyone know?

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Roberto_Ferrari

Ferrari moved from Rome to Tokyo in 1995 to pursue his dream of becoming a character designer in Japan. Prior to joining Square Enix he worked for Tatsunoko Productions, a famous Japanese animation studio, which Yoshitaka Amano spent much of his early career at, and did the character designs for Namco's Death by Degrees. For the latter, producer Yozo Sakagami hoped his Western sensibilities would help preserve the characters' intended Caucasian appearance, specifically noting that "with games like Final Fantasy," Japanese designers tend to make white characters look Japanese.
Aside from his involvement within the Final Fantasy series, Ferrari also worked on The Last Remnant, Moon Diver, Song Summoner: The Unsung Heroes, and Guns N' Souls feat. Song Summoner.

iosefe

Kinda reminds me of a combination of many different Adamantoise designs. It's new(very much FFXV's original take on the classic enemy, unlike Garula and the Goblins), but it's tusks' double edges might be slightly inspired by Amano's Adamantoise design, and it's "rhino horn" seems to be inspired by FFXI's Adamantoise variant. Interestingly enough, Amano's Adamantoise design is the only one with those kinds of shaped tusks and FFXI's variant type is the only Adamantoise with a rhino-like horn.

nice analysis. this was Nomura's first Adamantoise, right? i'd say it's pretty awesome

Dark_castle

Most of it, sure. Just don't expect Skyrim or other western sandbox, open world RPG. What FFXV most likely would provide is a reasonably large "closed open" world with semi-linear direction towards to the next story progression point, but filled with a lot of side paths and freedom to go off-road and explore. What I meant by "closed open" is that the field area appears to be very open-ended, but are still bounded by the plot, so that you wouldn't be able to jump to the final area in the game with high level mobs at the start of the game.

As for me, I thought it was XV trying to replicate the mood of The Forest. Anyway, I loved it. Always nice to explore creepy environment in RPG. Can't wait to see more.

I know I shouldn't have to say this, but, worth pointing out that the combat we have seen here are really all rudimentary, basic moves that are quickly available to us. There will be a lot more coming later on, when magic spells come into effect, buff/debuff, every characters with their own unique abilities, how Noctis's Linkform will come into play, Prompto's TPS advantage, deeper group combo mechanism via strategic character control switch, monster climbing ala Dragon's Dogma, summon, fighting using environment, magitek armor, and so on.

One thing I don't like about the trailer is that it wasn't ready to showcase more of other gameplay elements yet. I guess this TGS trailer is really mainly made for the demo, which is why they don't want to spoil too much of other important game systems just yet.
I mentioned something similar before. I wholeheartedly agree.
That's the main reason I remain excited for the gameplay in spite of the seemingly slow combat in display.

Square is also killing two birds with one stone. Theyre building a demo to build hype/make Final Fantasy Type-0 more enticing, and used said demo to make a great trailer that shows only what we will get to experience in the aforementioned demo.
It all points to a more focused and efficient Square.

That FF XIV scare must have done something. No more announcing games that aren't getting released in at least 18 months, pls.

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Roberto_Ferrari

Ferrari moved from Rome to Tokyo in 1995 to pursue his dream of becoming a character designer in Japan. Prior to joining Square Enix he worked for Tatsunoko Productions, a famous Japanese animation studio, which Yoshitaka Amano spent much of his early career at, and did the character designs for Namco's Death by Degrees. For the latter, producer Yozo Sakagami hoped his Western sensibilities would help preserve the characters' intended Caucasian appearance, specifically noting that "with games like Final Fantasy," Japanese designers tend to make white characters look Japanese.
Aside from his involvement within the Final Fantasy series, Ferrari also worked on The Last Remnant, Moon Diver, Song Summoner: The Unsung Heroes, and Guns N' Souls feat. Song Summoner.

right ,what character did he desing for ff15?

I honestly just do NOT understand the criticisms with the look of the cast.... Like

I hear that they are over designed when they are some of the MOST GROUNDED FF main cast designs.

Then I hear that they're too dudebro and bland and it's like WTF they're not over designed for the world or FF in general but these are distinct character designs nonetheless.

Then I hear they look like douches, which is the one I hate the most. That just comes from people stereotyping someone by their looks which is why they could say they "look like douches" so they hate them before they even know what their character is actually like! It makes especially less sense when you realize they're talking about videogame characters who act like how they're written to act.

injurai

Banned
I honestly just do NOT understand the criticisms with the look of the cast.... Like

I hear that they are over designed when they are some of the MOST GROUNDED FF main cast designs.

Then I hear that they're too dudebro and bland and it's like WTF they're not over designed for the world or FF in general but these are distinct character designs nonetheless.

Then I hear they look like douches, which is the one I hate the most. That just comes from people stereotyping someone by their looks which is why they could say they "look like douches" so they hate them before they even know what their character is actually like! It makes especially less sense when you realize they're talking about videogame characters who act like how they're written to act.

They look more believable then anything square has ever done. People are judging based on real social constructs now.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I went and had a screenshot printed. It's a bit dark, but I'm happy with the results. I would of liked a larger print.

photo_2.jpg

That's the second one. It had a line that sticks out. I have another copy that looks better. They gave that one to me for free, which was nice of them.

raven777

9/10 here.

The visuals were absolutely amazing and music as well. The only thing negative about it was too much focus on the road trip aspect and not enough to convince me on the battle system.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I think the designs are fine and I've always liked the modern aesthetic they were going for. I was so sick and tired of the sci-fi mess we got in FFXIII so this is really a breath of fresh air to me.

Exentryk

9/10 here.

The visuals were absolutely amazing and music as well. The only thing negative about it was too much focus on the road trip aspect and not enough to convince me on the battle system.

Yeah, hiding the command menu didn't help. But I am letting it slide since the demo will be out in 6 months anyway.

I'm totally fine with the character designs as well. But I also had no problem with X/XIII's designs either. Of course, my favorite character design in the series is Vivi. <3

Yeah, hiding the command menu didn't help. But I am letting it slide since the demo will be out in 6 months anyway.

Only 6 months holy crap

It just hit me guys and gals.......we will actually FINALLY be playing this game in around half a year.

It's really happening

Top Bottom