• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii 2 (Project Cafe): Officially Announced, Playable At E3, Launching 2012 [Updated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Stephen Colbert said:
The Wii succeeded because of motion controls. It's success was held back by poor graphics. I don't think anyone can argue that a Wii at $249 with both motion controls and better graphics wouldn't have sold much better.

The Gamecube in 2002/2003 was discounted to $99 and still selling at a profit.

From all indications, the Wii was a overclocked gamecube with a new control interface.

So given that, there was a decent amount of room for Nintendo to make the Wii more powerful, while still selling it at a profit. They probably could have used a dual core configuration of the Gamecube's cpu and gpu and wound up with a console capable of 720p, priced it at $249 and still sold it for a profit.

Had they done that, I contend that they would have made more money in the long run for all the reasons before...

appealing to both casuals and to core gamers

having much longer legs

getting more multiplatform titles

not peaking two-three years into the console and then rapidly losing sales and never recovering the earlier sales since.

In your strange parallel Universe, the Colbert Wii would have had to have matched the power of the 360/PS3 or it would have gained nothing with respect of the 3rd party situation. It would also have had to have a harddrive for the same reason. Or a large amount of flash storage, which would have been unreasonable at the time.

So in conclusion, it would have been very costly. Lost Nintendo money. And cooked itself to death, destroying Nintendo's reputation for family friendly reliable hardware.

Now, you are doing your dog/bone thing again when this thread is trying to get back on topic again with what is going on in this Universe.

I really don't get this gamer obsession with fiscal success and who "wins" a generation. I only care about developers that matter supporting a platform. I guess I'm just lucky I could afford all 3 consoles and a decent PC. But really, people put too much stock in sales figures. Personally, I only care about quality experiences.

mj1108

Freezie KO said:
First they intentionally leak their new console, and then they do a stealth conference right under GAF's nose. That wily Nintendo!

Next up: Stealth reveal....then stealth release.

Sadist

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/04/26/nintendo_million_sellers/

tg65J.jpg

NSMB Wii almost at 22 million and Donkey Kong CR at almost 5 million.

agrajag said:
Doubtful. At the rate they've been selling, it'll take them another five years to catch up. By that time both Wii and Wii2 would have sold a combined 160 million units, I'd wager.
That's a big call. 80 million in the next 2 years?

I'd say 30 million from 360 the way it is selling faster than ever, and PS3 yet to drop to a mass market price.... Seems a little more likely. That works out to an average of 1.25 million world wide per month. Very doable if Holiday sales continue to be huge.

confuziz

Banned
Chuck Norris said:

I'd say 30 million from 360 the way it is selling faster than ever, and PS3 yet to drop to a mass market price.... Seems a little more likely.

But you are expecting 0 sales for the Wii. I think that seems a little less likely.

No new info on the controller/ipad hybrid is a huge disappointment.

DECK'ARD, you do realize that there are versions of the 360 out there without a hard drive don't you? And you do realize that those 360s are all also perfectly capable of running every game?

Stephen Colbert said:
So given that, there was a decent amount of room for Nintendo to make the Wii more powerful, while still selling it at a profit. They probably could have used a dual core configuration of the Gamecube's cpu and gpu and wound up with a console capable of 720p, priced it at $249 and still sold it for a profit.

Yeah they played it a little too safe. Nintendo didn't even know how successful Wii and its motion controls would turn out, so they tried to maximize profit from day one. On launch day, a Wii probably didn't even cost $150 to manufacture. But I agree with your thesis, had they made the system more powerful, not necessarily PS360 powerful, but not 1.5x a GC, and launched at a similar price point of $250, which they could have done and still earned profit selling the hw, they may well have earned even more revenue from additional hw and software sales and Wii could have rivaled PS2 for best system of all time. Of course it's all in hindsight and a bit pointless to debate now.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
probably been guessed at (haven't had time to look through all the pages) but ono was talking about the 3DS connecting to project cafe meaning SSFIV on project Cafe?? of SSFIV:AE?

ohhh SSFIV:AE on cafe...3DS downloads extra characters? that's it 3DS SSFIV 3Ded:AE -that's a lot of letters- then?

mj1108

jufonuk said:
probably been guessed at (haven't had time to look through all the pages) but ono was talking about the 3DS connecting to project cafe meaning SSFIV on project Cafe?? of SSFIV:AE?

ohhh SSFIV:AE on cafe...3DS downloads extra characters? that's it 3DS SSFIV:AE then?

I know it was mentioned by someone a few pages back but I don' t think anyone responded to it.

jufonuk said:

ohhh SSFIV:AE on cafe...3DS downloads extra characters? that's it 3DS SSFIV:AE then?

It's not out for a year or more... more likely NGP.

confuziz said:
But you are expecting 0 sales for the Wii. I think that seems a little less likely.
Wii sales have bottomed out, and will bottom out even further now that the next gen system has been announced. Isn't it the worst selling system in every territory now?

Sadist

Chuck Norris said:
Wii sales have bottomed out, and will bottom out even further now that the next gen system has been announced. Isn't it the worst selling system in every territory now?
Nope

Spike

Stephen Colbert said:
The Wii succeeded because of motion controls. It's success was held back by poor graphics. I don't think anyone can argue that a Wii at $249 with both motion controls and better graphics wouldn't have sold much better.

You just don't get it, do you?

You are assuming that they would be able to include a better implementation of cpu and gpu, yet still bundle in the motion controllers and offer it at $249, and still make a profit.

Yet, Microsoft created exactly what you are pushing here, less the motion controller, and was selling at a loss.

Can you imagine what kind of losses Nintendo would be taking if they went down your path and offered what you are asking?

If they could offer all that for $249, then why is the X360 with Kinect bundle and the PS3 with Move bundle selling for $400 today? Why are they not selling all this for $249 and making a profit?

agrajag

Banned
Chuck Norris said:

I'd say 30 million from 360 the way it is selling faster than ever, and PS3 yet to drop to a mass market price.... Seems a little more likely. That works out to an average of 1.25 million world wide per month. Very doable if Holiday sales continue to be huge.

I never said that, I gave a 4 year timeline for Cafe. I also expect Wii to sell around 30 mill in the next five years. Wii 30 mill + Cafe 45 mill in 4 years, total lifetime to date for both consoles: 160 mill. That's a pretty conservative estimation for Cafe.

confuziz

Banned
Chuck Norris said:

Yes but they are still expecting at least 10 million sales for this fiscal year. With the price cut coming and possibly some more interesting games this is not unrealistic. It also means the 2 years after that it is at least going to sell 10-15 million (7 in 2012 and 4-5? in 2013). It isn't just going to stop you know.

Mael

Can we get the revisionist history out of the thread and get actual talk of the investor meetings?
I mean it's not like this issue hasn't been talked about extensively already.

freddy

Banned
Wtf is this thread about? Has any info been released yet? All I can see is people arguing about shit that was thrashed like a dead horse years ago.

tablets - will be widely spread but thinks for better gaming response need buttons so won't have machines without buttons

Well that's a relief for me at least. I wasn't looking forward to some of the buttons on a touchpad talk that was floating around

There was barely anything revealed at the investigator's meeting :(

Spike, like I said, the Gamecube was being sold for a retail price of $99 by Christmas of 2002, while still eeking out a small profit for Nintendo.

In 2006 (a full four years later), they could have easily used that same gamecube gpu and cpu in atleast a dual core configuration, probably even a triple or quad core configuration, and still managed to keep the costs of the console under $200, and sold it retail for $250.

They would have wound up with something signficiantly more powerful, capable of 720p and without breaking the bank.

mj1108

freddy said:
Wtf is this thread about? Has any info been released yet? All I can see is people arguing about shit that was thrashed like a dead horse years ago.

This thread would be fine if it wasn't for one person in particular trying to shove his fantasy world down everyone's throat as though they are facts.

Stephen Colbert said:

Spike, like I said, the Gamecube was being sold for a retail price of $99 by Christmas of 2002, while still eeking out a small profit for Nintendo.

In 2006 (a full four years later), they could have easily used that same gamecube gpu and cpu in atleast a dual core configuration, probably even a triple or quad core configuration, and still managed to keep the costs of the console under $200, and sold it retail for $250.

They would have wound up with something signficiantly more powerful, capable of 720p and without breaking the bank.

Stop.

You're wrong.

You've been proven wrong.

Stop talking.

It sounded like they couldn't get the vitality sensor working with more than 80% of the population, so they scrapped it for now, till they can get it to be usable by more people.

Is that how you guys are interpreting it too?

szaromir

Banned
Stephen Colbert said:
It sounded like they couldn't get the vitality sensor working with more than 80% of the population, so they scrapped it for now, till they can get it to be usable by more people.

Is that how you guys are interpreting it too?
Literally not working (ie not detecting heart rate etc) or just people don't see the appeal of it?

Mael

Stephen Colbert said:

So now on top of not knowing what the hell you're talking about on the business side you actually show that you don't know what the hell you're talking about on the tech side?
protip :
IBM power pc is what's powering the GC/Wii,
the dual/quad core version of that processor is actually powering the 360 (along with another branch that lead to the Cell).

Seriously drop it now, there's no shame in letting this thread die until we get new info.

szaromir said:
Literally not working (ie not detecting heart rate etc) or just people don't see the appeal of it?

Literally not working. That's what the Twitter feed of the conference made it sound like. As if they don't want to release it until it's a reliable product for 99% of the population, rather than 80%. Maybe we're just living with 20% zombies?

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Freezie KO said:
Literally not working. That's what the Twitter feed of the conference made it sound like. As if they don't want to release it until it's a reliable product for 99% of the population, rather than 80%. Maybe we're just living with 20% zombies?

They found Wii Relax wasn't so relaxing after all for 20% of the population:

Already-Dead-e1263400503343.jpg

Mael said:
So now on top of not knowing what the hell you're talking about on the business side you actually show that you don't know what the hell you're talking about on the tech side?
protip :
IBM power pc is what's powering the GC/Wii,
the dual/quad core version of that processor is actually powering the 360 (along with another branch that lead to the Cell).

Seriously drop it now, there's no shame in letting this thread die until we get new info.

Again, you're ignoring the facts.

It is a fact that the Gamecube was being sold for a mere $99 just an year or two into it's life.

It is a fact that the Wii launched at $249, a full four years later, with an overclocked version of what's in the game cube.

Basic math dictates that they could have roughly doubled the transistor count, or hell just stuck dual GC cpus and GC gpus in the thing , and still kept the cost under $200. That is at the bare minimum, given the four year gap, they probably could've done a hell of a lot more than that.

Claiming that Wii couldn't be anymore powerful than it was and manufactured for less than $249 or even $199 is just outright delusional. The components in it are a hell of a lot cheaper than that.

Stephen Colbert said:

It is a fact that the Gamecube was being sold for a mere $99 just an year or two into it's life.

It is a fact that the Wii launched at $249, a full four years later, with an overclocked version of what's in the game cube.

Basic math dictates that they could have roughly doubled the transistor count, or hell just stuck dual GC cpus and GC gpus in the thing , and still kept the cost under $200. That is at the bare minimum, given the four year gap, they probably could've done a hell of a lot more than that.

Claiming that Wii couldn't be anymore powerful than it was and manufactured for less than $249 or even $199 is just outright delusional. The components in it are a hell of a lot cheaper than that.

This is now a mental health issue. Please stop.

eso76

manueldelalas said:
The Dreamcast 2 notion is incredibly stupid.

You fail to realize that neither the PS4 nor the Xbox 3 will get a quantum jump in graphics. This was true from the Saturn/N64/PS1 to the Dreamcast/GCN/PS2, the graphics were so bad in that day, that you could notice the difference between Dreamcast/PS2 graphics; but now there isn't much ahead to jump in graphics; an updated Xbox360 or PS3 or Stream Cafe is the best you'll get with current technology.

Developers won't bleed money so you can see the hair inside the nose of the main character... If 2D peaked with NeoGeo, 3D peaks here;

Uhh. No, there's still LOTS of room for improvement with 3d graphics, and a lot of improvements that wouldn't even require more work from devs (IQ, lighting etc).

And 2D peaked with NeoGeo ??? Would some of you guys stop considering a machine that could output 320x240 graphics with 4096 colors and some 96 sprites on screen, 3 parallax layers and no transparencies STILL the pinnacle of 2d graphics ?
You might have not noticed because devs stopped making 2d games and people stopped caring, but we're lightyears beyond what a neogeo could offer. And we've been for, like 15 years.

qq more

Stephen Colbert said:

Uh, I thought the Gamecube dropped to 99 dollars on september 2003??

I picked mine up for $99 over the holidays of 2002. It was regularly sold for that price throughout 2003. But I see the price wasn't officially dropped till Sept 2003. Regardless whether it's three years or four years, the point is the same.

The wii could've been quite a bit more powerful than it was and still sold for a profit.

Wolves Evolve said:
This is now a mental health issue. Please stop.

You've been added to my ignore list. I suggest you do likewise rather than repeatedly troll my posts with inane statements.

SonnyBoy

I'm excited about the news and look forward to seeing what they have to offer.

Do you all think that this will somewhat encourage MS and Sony to release some info at E3? I think they may wait to see what Nintendo shows first and then try to one-up them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom