• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ITT Sony Fanboys make believe they own 360s

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOddOne

learnedhand said:
Of course you are correct. The price (being more affordable to younger gamers) is a huge reason why the 360 demographics tend to trend younger (at least I think I read that somewhere). That seems to enforce my point that the 360, in general, appeals to younger gamers that are more likely to have friends online, and are more likely to have time to game online. They will certainly get more out of Live than someone with no friends, and only a passing interest in online games.

I'm only speaking in generalities, as I'm sure there are pockets of hard-core online gamers on PSN also.

Now, sorry for the stupid question, but can I access the 360 stores with only a Silver account?
Stores? Do you mean the download area? Yeah, you can acces that with a silver account.

learnedhand said:
Now, sorry for the stupid question, but can I access the 360 stores with only a Silver account?

XBL Marketplace has been always available to every member, silver or gold.

btw, what's with all this hate towards 360 these days? :lol

idahoblue said:
See, this is the first I have heard of Last.FM integration, that's pretty cool, not sure it is a system seller :) Thanks though. Also, a bit OT, but what do people mean when they say 'better integration'. Is it that much better for someone who only plays online very casually, or does that just mean cross game chat?

Let me put it this way. If I play 360 offline, it feels very, very wrong, even if I am playing a single player game. It's weird.

There is nothing technically limiting PSN from being the same way, but I think MS made some good moves as far as packing in headsets with every console/most peripherals and the first mover advantage, good marketing of XBL and online gaming, and having a strong core of the right features from day 1. For whatever reason, the online experience is more rich and integrated generally speaking.

I think that for someone such as yourself who plays online very casually, there isn't much value in Xbox Live. Last.FM is cool but definitely not worth 30$-50$ per year. I use live because I don't have any other options to play Gears/Halo/VO:OT. The perks are just an added bonus and while I could probably live without them, I won't because right now it's the system with the games I want to play.

-edit- I would be lying if I said I didn't enjoy just about everything about XBL. I didn't mean to come across that way. I'm just saying I could probably take a feature hit if it meant playing online for free. For the time being though, I won't and since Halo Reach is coming, I probably never will.

God, I haven't had a Live subscription in such a long time. It has been totally not worth it in my situation (most friends have a PS3, lack of free time, Gears of War 2 being total balls, US-specific features not offered in Kanuckistan).

I've been thinking about getting another subscription, but then I remember Mass Effect 2 is on the horizon.

NIGHT-

intheinbetween said:
XBL Marketplace has been always available to every member, silver or gold.

No idea, but its getting pretty terrible :lol

Durante

Woo-Fu said:
Is it? Unless you've worked with the backend code yourself I don't know how you'd be able to determine this.
Actually I imagine that being quite simple. Just use a packet sniffer and see where your packets go over the course of several games. Dedicated servers should be in the same IP range, while P2P traffic should be all over the place.

Anyway, over 3 years I never even felt that I was missing anything by not being on Gold, except one time when I wanted to download a demo. And then it was decidedly a feeling of annoyance rather than a motivation to "upgrade".

typo said:
God, I haven't had a Live subscription in such a long time. It has been totally not worth it in my situation (most friends have a PS3, lack of free time, Gears of War 2 being total balls, US-specific features not offered in Kanuckistan).

I've been thinking about getting another subscription, but then I remember Mass Effect 2 is on the horizon.

I said this a few pages back, and this is it before I bounce, but Gears 2 online is awesome now since most recent patch. Quick matchmaking, good netcode, and bullshit being totally fixed (goodbye, knockdown smoke grenades. Thank god).

People actually play the game with machinegun/cover being primary tactic. Yes, it's some kind of miracle.

If you still have your copy of Gears 2, see for yourself. If you don't, I don't blame you, I was so frustrated with the online back in 08 I sold my copy back after finishing the campaign!

Haunted

Tiduz said:
oh i did it wrong, here proof:

<iframe src="http://gamercard.xbox.com/Ichig0KuroSaki" scrolling="no" frameBorder="0" height="140" width="204">Ichig0KuroSaki</iframe>

edit: well that didnt work either :lol
Ichig0Kurosaki.png
?

intheinbetween said:
It's so fucking loud. :(

Owzers

NIGHT- said:
No idea, but its getting pretty terrible :lol

It's been accumulating but was always kept in check by having the better library. Now that Microsoft has canned a lot of studios and sent Rare to die on Avatar pets and Natal projects, there just isn't any need to restrain from crapping on them.

It was ALWAYS a "bad" system.

gofreak said:
Without making reference to any specific console services...why would the service being free make it 'less reliable'?

XBL is the only premium gaming service of its kind I can think of but it's certainly not the only reliable one.

I'd also say with reference to Arpharmd B's post...'better features' is a matter of taste here I think. There's plenty of different 'nice' features of the type you mention available on other services too, of similar technical and financial burden to their providers. Indeed, I dislike when people bring up third party things like LastFM (or Twitter or Facebook) to justify platform holder charges - these features may be an added-value, but the folks who are actually paying to provide them (API traffic costs lastfm/twitter/fb, not MS or Sony) aren't the ones charging you, aren't the ones getting your money for it.
I've said this a few billion times but really the only justification ought to be a desire to play their exclusive multiplayer games or if you only have a 360 OR all your pals are on 360 exclusively. Feature sets will always be a losing game for Live Gold.

NIGHT-

sillymonkey321 said:
It's been accumulating but was always kept in check by having the better library. Now that Microsoft has canned a lot of studios and sent Rare to die on Avatar pets and Natal projects, there just isn't any need to restrain from crapping on them.

Guess I just don't understand what your getting at. The 360 has an impressive exclusive library in 2010, and the mulltiplatform titles 9/10 times run better on 360 than on PS3

Arpharmd B said:
GAF, or any internet message board, always has stuff to hate on.

Anyone who was here in 07 knows that the PS3 used to get wayyy more hate than the 360 does right now. Sony got their shit together so that has died down substantially. But man I for one remember the days of 599, no trophy, no in game bar, horrendous multiplatform ports, and "no games". The hate was intense.

And a lot of the hate PS3 got was well deserved. All the ridiculous PR Sony was spouting out was finally catching up with them when 3rd party games ran like shit on PS3 and the $599 price tag was hard to justify.

Anyone who was here in 07 knows that the PS3 used to get wayyy more hate than the 360 does right now. Sony got their shit together so that has died down substantially. But man I for one remember the days of 599, no trophy, no in game bar, horrendous multiplatform ports, losing exclusives left and right, and "no games". The hate was intense.

sillymonkey321 said:

Yeah that seems like a sensible position to take.

For the record, when people talk about the ridiculous climate of grotesque disdain for a single console and, by association, it's userbase, they're talking about posts like this one.

NIGHT- said:
[/B]

The newer models run pretty quiet. Hell my 80 gig PS3 is louder than my 360 =[

I have a newer system too and it still runs louder than my launch 60 gig PS3. Not that it matters, because if he judged consoles by their noise, the Dreamcast would be intolerable.

and I just remembered the reason I think paying for Xbox Live is dumb is because even back on the original Xbox you had to pay $50 to play online without any advantages the 360 now has. Now that was ridiculous.

NIGHT- said:
Guess I just don't understand what your getting at. The 360 has an impressive exclusive library in 2010, and the mulltiplatform titles 9/10 times run better on 360 than on PS3

Can you point to the multiplatform games that have an OBSERVABLE advantage on the Xbox 360 released this game which are out of any relevance (80%+ meta)? I can only think of Bayonetta.

If you are now going to post a list of 23 titles that ran at 0.9% higher framerate with a little less jaggies, than that's fine by me, but I would recommend switching to PC if you can actually notice that difference, because you're probably gonna get staggered when you see games in 1080p with 4xAA, 16xAF, 60 frames etc. etc.

McLovin

I think mine expired.. I haven't been on in a while but I'm pretty sure I got my live about 13 months ago. I'll probably renew it when a good mp game comes out or something.

Haunted

NIGHT- said:
The newer models run pretty quiet. Hell my 80 gig PS3 is louder than my 360 =[
:eek: Man, I wish.

My 80GB PS3 is super quiet, but my Elite is like a fucking A380 in comparison. :(

NIGHT-

Lagspike_exe said:
Can you point to the multiplatform games that have an OBSERVABLE advantage on the Xbox 360 released this game which are out of any relevance (80%+ meta)? I can only think of Bayonetta.

If you are now going to post a list of 23 titles that ran at 0.9% higher framerate with a little less jaggies, than that's fine by me, but I would recommend switching to PC if you can actually notice that difference, because you're probably gonna get staggered when you see games in 1080p with 4xAA, 16xAF, 60 frames etc. etc.

I thought review scores mean shit on gaf?

the thing is, I might be wrong, but I don't see that huge difference in gaming catalog this year between 360 and PS3, I mean, I've read many people claiming PS3 beat 360 by a long shot and I don't feel that way.

I gotta say I'm a PS3 and 360 owner, and I've enjoyed great games for both systems during last year

JWong

Banned
NIGHT- said:
Now that's real fanboy there.

Durante

Yay ID pos(t)ing!

DuranteA.png

Note that the recent 3 games are all on PC.
DuranteA.png

Haunted said:
It's so fucking loud. :(
Seriously :(
Sadly my PS3 is also not as quiet as it once was, though still better. PC FTW again.

Lagspike_exe said:

Nowhere near what it was in 06/07/08, but still some turds here and there. Ghostbusters and Bayonetta being the biggest offenders of last year IIRC.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
My refurb 360 makes a lovely grinding noise when I boot it up or put a disc into the tray. I can just imagine it will eat my copy of Rock Band or future copy of Bayonetta for lunch one day. :mad:

EagleEyes

Haunted said:
:eek: Man, I wish.

My 80GB PS3 is super quiet, but my Elite is like a fucking A380 in comparison. :(
If you have an elite, you obviously have a 120gb HD. Just install the game and it will be super quiet. Problem solved.

Averon

NIGHT- said:
:lol :lol . In what way? Do you not agree PS3 versions of multiplatform games have been a lot less stellar than 360's?

This may have been true back in 2007 and some of 2008, but the differences among PS3/360 multi-platform games nowadays are a lot less pronounced. You can play a version of either game without noticing much difference.

JWong

Banned
NIGHT- said:
:lol :lol . In what way? Do you not agree PS3 versions of multiplatform games have been a lot less stellar than 360's?
"a lot" is the breaking point.

9 or 10 times better is just an overstatement.

You don't see Eurogamer's comparison saying that PS3 versions are practically unplayable. All they say is that one version has a slight graphical difference, and it mainly comes down to how dark you want your game to look.

NIGHT-

Arpharmd B said:
Nowhere near what it was in 06/07/08, but still some turds here and there. Ghostbusters and Bayonetta being the biggest offenders of last year IIRC.

The PS3 version of Resident evil 5 had pretty bad textures issues as well

differences between multiplatform games on 360 and PS3 used to be bigger a few years back. however anyone still interested or curious about the differences should take a look at Eurogamer's Xbox 360 vs PS3 Face-Off Rounds articles.

Linkzg said:
Xbox Live stomps PSN in terms of community features. You can see a friend playing a game and join them, chat with a friend playing a game while you play a different game, the party support, (arguable) better voice communication because of standard headsets, etc.

If you're into all that stuff and have a group of real or online friends you regularly play with, the community features basically keep you addicted and paying that fee. PSN isn't that different in terms of "I want to play this game online" but the community features can't compare [I'm sure people feel differently and am talking from my personal experience]. I remember early in the 360 life they compared the community to a herd because they would move from game to game and that happened because people would see friends playing a game then buy it to join in. That said, if all those community features don't interest you, then the value of Gold would seem like the basic "I'm paying to pay online".

This reply sums it up best. Being able to have a conversation with someone playing a completely different game, send or receive voice, text, video messages, and party invites while playing games/watching movies, and the >90% headset usage make LIVE worth it for me.

If none of these features, or the larger online communities and certain 360 exclusives are worth it to you, I can see why you'd balk at $50.

Unrelated, but I also find it easier to find new/popular demo and video content on LIVE vs PSN, simply because of the way the stores are set up (the default presentation on PSN is alphabetical, which is stupid).

JWong said:
"a lot" is the breaking point.

9 or 10 times better is just an overstatement.

You don't see Eurogamer's comparison saying that PS3 versions are practically unplayable. All they say is that one version has a slight graphical difference, and it mainly comes down to how dark you want your game to look.

Slightly better is still better. For some people, it matters.

AppleBlade

Yeah, the difference between PS3 and 360 multiplats is so small that it's ridiculous how much attention it gets. I mean the difference between the original Xbox and PS2 multiplats was huge compared to what it is now and people are actually making a bigger deal now. The difference is so small that the quality of the TV the user is playing his games on probably has a bigger effect on overall image quality. I know that my cousins swear the PS3 multiplats look better but I know they don't, it's just that have a sweat 52 inch Bravia TV and they play on cheap no-name TV's.

[Nintex]

Arpharmd B said:

Anyone who was here in 07 knows that the PS3 used to get wayyy more hate than the 360 does right now. Sony got their shit together so that has died down substantially. But man I for one remember the days of 599, no trophy, no in game bar, horrendous multiplatform ports, losing exclusives left and right, and "no games". The hate was intense.
My system got more hate than your system, cry cry whine whine. Fuck this shit is getting stupid. :lol

:lol :lol

Owzers

JWong said:
Now that's real fanboy there.

No he's right, multiplatform games still tend to run better on 360 than ps3 which is annoying since i'd much rather own them on PS3 after dropping Gold and having my little 20GB hard drive almost full outside of being able to install 1 game at a time. Dragon Age performs better on 360, same with Assassin's Creed 2, and of course the mentioned Bayonetta.

Durante

Anyone who cares enough about the difference in multiplatform titles to read articles about it should be playing on PC.

ZZMitch

brain_stew said:
You use your own connection to host the games, its a matchmaking service you're paying for, nothing else. Something like Steam has a much bigger featurset and much more reliable infrastructure and remains completely free. Its costs are subsidised by you buying games on the platform, just as they are on PSN, and Valve haven't exactly been struggling financially.

If anything, there should be more motivation for Valve to charge as they let you use their service for titles bought outside of the platform where none of the money goes to them. Retail copies of MW2 don't provide any cash to Valve but they still deliver free matchmaking, friends lists, chat and unlimited redownloads of the full game to you and still manage to make a very healthy profit from the service.

So the platform itself doesn't actually offer anything above and beyond PSN but its the fact that its the market leader that makes it more compelling. Is that your answer?
What I think he is trying to say is "cross game voice chat" a feature that is worth the sub by itself.

Owzers

Durante said:
Anyone who cares enough about the difference in multiplatform titles to read articles about it should be playing on PC.

No. I own a ps3 and 360 so obviously having the choice between the two i'm going to want what's best. If i ever do build a pc ( not too keen on the idea but with all these steam sales it's got me debating it) THEN you can factor in the glorious PC versions BUT the ps3/360 comparisons are still relevant.

Durante said:

why? my htpc can't run most of the actual games and I just use my htpc for basic features, I don't use it for gaming. I have a 360 and a PS3 so I like to know which version runs better, I don't see what's wrong with that.

Durante

sillymonkey321 said:
No. I own a ps3 and 360 so obviously having the choice between the two i'm going to want what's best. If i ever do build a pc ( not too keen on the idea but with all these steam sales it's got me debating it) THEN you can factor in the glorious PC versions BUT the ps3/360 comparisons are still relevant.
It's just so silly seeing these debates about minute differences when -- with most multiplatform titles -- a greatly superior version is available, usually for a lower price, and the latter isn't even mentioned. It's like people debating the merits of McDonald's and Burger King while ignoring the gourmet restaurant right in front of them. Actually that comparison works on multiple levels I guess.

NIGHT-

Durante said:

I don't like gaming on PC's unless its something like Quake.

JWong said:
9 times or 10 times better is not slightly better.

I don't think you understand what 9/10 means.

9 out of 10 times, 360 games run better than their PS3 counterparts.

Not, 360 games run 9-10x better than PS3 games.

Some people are overly picky, most of the "better" and differences in visuals are minor and you won't notice unless you were looking at side by side pictures really. I mean really I can usually get best visuals on PC but sometimes you just gotta take a console version for couch fun or in my case, having something to play while I exercise on the treadmill.

Keikoku

Banned
Durante said:
It's just so silly seeing these debates about minute differences when -- with most multiplatform titles -- a greatly superior version is available, usually for a lower price, and the latter isn't even mentioned. It's like people debating the merits of McDonald's and Burger King while ignoring the gourmet restaurant right in front of them. Actually that comparison works on multiple levels I guess.

Well in the case of Bayonetta PC is not involved. I'm buying all the multiplatforms games for PC, but some of them are for PS360 only, you know.

I don't see nearly as many PS3 fadatars as I expected in this thread. How am I supposed to tell which ones the fanboys are!?! (Though I appreciate that gofreak is still rockin' it old stylez.)

I am impressed to note that with like two notable exceptions, all the both accused and legit PS3 fanboys in this thread have higher gamerscores than I do. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom