• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Tri G |OT| Dozens of Monsters, Zero Compelling Textures

Luigiv

Mr Sakurai new toys
dn6ME.jpg

http://twitpic.com/7qoetk

zOlt5.jpg

Got 2 1/2 hours into it and battery died.

Anyone who says they could have slapped on MH3rdG as the title and sold the game on PSP is completely delusional. This is Tri through and through.

ShinNL

Looked but did not find - I'm guessing there is none, since there'd be no way to replicate it if you didn't have Frankenstick.
Thanks for the info. Well, then it seems I won't have use for the frankenstick, quite a missed opportunity.

/post oozing of assumption that the game will be released in the west

john tv

Oddly enough, I'm not finding Frankenstick all that comfortable. The positioning of the L and R buttons makes my hands get tired fairly quickly. I have a cold right now so my body might just be worn out in general, but after about 90 mins of messing with it, I couldn't get it to feel really comfortable.

Really random other observation from the game: torches are back (yay), but yowza, the lighting effect of torches in caves is way degraded from the Wii version. I guess it's to be expected, but I'm kinda surprised how janky the torch lighting was in the cave.

Game is not 60fps, but it's at least 30fps. Maybe somewhere inbetween?

Will play more tomorrow. I'm still working my way through the Moga Village tutorial stuff at the moment.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
As soon as I was able to enlarge the touch screen d-pad, I made it as big as I could and it made a huge difference.

DCharlie

Banned
doesn't that make it more of a pain to reach?

i was surprised how well the touch pad worked as a Great Sword user - i am pretty set with The Claw but just moving thumb off the buttons felt natural.

convinced now that it's a very very smooth 30fps locked and that the impression of 60fps is down to a few factors (few close items/details for instance)

Wazzim

Banned
I hate you guys, freaking region lock.

That said, is there a new sharpness in this version? Just like 2ndG/Unite had 'purple' sharpness?

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
That's unfortunate about torches, how hard is it to have a single (or, er, up to 4 I guess) dynamic light in the game...

Does it like, light up stuff square-by-square so it looks bad or something?

Oh well, I don't remember using them much in Tri, outside messing around with minion Jaggies etc.

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
Oddly enough, I'm not finding Frankenstick all that comfortable. The positioning of the L and R buttons makes my hands get tired fairly quickly. I have a cold right now so my body might just be worn out in general, but after about 90 mins of messing with it, I couldn't get it to feel really comfortable.

Really random other observation from the game: torches are back (yay), but yowza, the lighting effect of torches in caves is way degraded from the Wii version. I guess it's to be expected, but I'm kinda surprised how janky the torch lighting was in the cave.

Will play more tomorrow. I'm still working my way through the Moga Village tutorial stuff at the moment.
Hmm. All 3DS games need to shoot for 60FPS to support the 3D mode (30FPS for each eye) - anything less breaks the effect. It's definitely an effective 30FPS in 3D mode (or as near as Capcom can get to it), but the question is whether or not it outputs the full 60 frames in 2D mode (a la SFIV).

Alexios

Hmm. All 3DS games need to shoot for 60FPS to support the 3D mode (30FPS for each eye) - anything less breaks the effect. It's definitely an effective 30FPS in 3D mode (or as near as Capcom can get to it), but the question is whether or not it outputs the full 60 frames in 2D mode (a la SFIV).
3DS doesn't do the shutter thing... If someone says a game is 30fps then it's most likely 30fps for each eye, at the same time. Though I guess some devs may opt for that, alternating frames per eye, I don't think we know any have done so.

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
3DS doesn't do the shutter thing... If someone says a game is 30fps it's 30fps for each eye, but symetric so it doesn't look 60fps. Though I guess some devs may opt for that, alternating frames per eye, I don't think we know any have done so.
It's still outputting 60 unique frames per second in 3D mode. But yes, you're right that the division means it's still only effectively 30FPS.

Alexios

I'm just saying people are usually discussing what it looks like, not doubling it for the 3D since the frames are simultaneous, so if they say it's 30fps it's not 15 per eye like if it was the shutter method but still 30 per eye. I guess I misunderstood your post which seemed like you think the experience suffers because it's not a reported 60fps when despite the numbers people used with your line of thinking this discussion would be going between 120 and 60 frames instead of the 60 and 30 being discussed now.

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
I'm just saying people are usually discussing what it looks like, not doubling it for the 3D since the frames are simultaneous, so if they say it's 30fps it's not 15 per eye like if it was the shutter method but still 30 per eye.

Gotcha. Yeah, I was talking in terms of raw output from the 3DS, whereas you're talking in terms of how a player receives it. Fair enough.

The thing is, Monster Hunter and Snake Eater are both taking huge hits in IQ to accommodate this standard. You've got to wonder what the games would look like if they vetoed 3D support altogether.

wazoo

Here's some food for though: if the 3DS had exactly the same hardware as the Wii, it would need to cut geometry down in order to render in 3D, since everything is rendered twice. In order to display the same geometry as the top Wii games, it would need to have twice the geometry processing power.

The specs floating around are about 20Mpol/sec for the PICA200 at 268MHZ, which may mean only 10Mpol/sec in 3D.

which is may or not be lower than GC, which is lower than Wii of course.

Gotcha. Yeah, I was talking in terms of raw output from the 3DS, whereas you're talking in terms of how a player receives it. Fair enough.

The thing is, Monster Hunter and Snake Eater are both taking huge hits in IQ to accommodate this standard. You've got to wonder what the games would look like if they vetoed 3D support altogether.

Not really. The amount of time it takes to render a scene doesn't have much to do with the amount of RAM available for textures or the number of polys.

Essentially the only IQ hit they'd be taking is lack of 2xAA or 30 FPS rather than 60.

muu

Got shipment confirmation from Playasia! Wish they released this on a weekday, as the Saturday release means I'm getting this thing next Monday.

Hits in IQ? In many ways the monsters look better than they did in Tri, and the 3D adds even more life to them. Strictly speaking in terms of actual (i.e. not screenshots/screengrabs you see on the interwebs) image quality trading off the 3D effect for a little more polygonal detail would be a bad move.

That's pretty low for a handheld release...any pre-order number available yet?

not really as 3DS' usebase is not that big and it's the first release of a portable game on a nintendo handheld. I'm pretty sure it'll do better than that though.

M3d10n

No, the 3DS is side-by-side 3D, not shutter 3D. Mario Kart, Super Monkey Ball, the home menu, all 3D classics and several other applications run at 60fps even in 3D.

Just because a game runs at 30fps in 3D it doesn't means it would automatically run at 60fps in 2D. There's a reason only fighting games did the variable framerate thing.

DCharlie

Banned
Just on train back from wandering streets of aki and shinjuku - i have to say it's FUCKING FREEZING and that probably kept people away - it people were to measure based on this mornings turn out? Absolute undeniable massive bomba.

But sure game will do fine - looking good on that prediction though

Just on train back from wandering streets of aki and shinjuku - i have to say it's FUCKING FREEZING and that probably kept people away - it people were to measure based on this mornings turn out? Absolute undeniable massive bomba.

But sure game will do fine - looking good on that prediction though

so why exactly did you say they wouldn't embrace the game as they did MHP3? is it because of the install base ?

DCharlie

Banned
Started!?

That queue already drained - and a piss poor queue. Seriously - if people are putting stock in those Yodo Aki queues ? It's bombed and even my 800k is over the top.

As i did say in the games defence - it's freezing. But this is sub-xbox 1 queues. Make no mistakes

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Started!?

That queue already drained - and a piss poor queue. Seriously - if people are putting stock in those Yodo Aki queues ? It's bombed and even my 800k is over the top.

As i did say in the games defence - it's freezing. But this is sub-xbox 1 queues. Make no mistakes

The fuck are you saying here.
Use logic, please.

PunchyBoy

Banned
Started!?

GIFfucklogic.gif

Please, explain it with simple words for simple people like me

DCharlie

Banned
so why exactly did you say they wouldn't embrace the game as they did MHP3? is it because of the install base ?

People are expecting whole masses of players to buy a new platform for a game that, content wise, is not significant enough for hardcore players to jump on. Fans are drunk
On the sales of two AAA Nintendo first party games - the expectation that it extends to a G revision of Mohan that forces a platform change is short sighted to put it mildly.

MH4 might have brought a sea change but not a G revision.

Adding again that it IS freezing today

Top Bottom