• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U final hardware (black) - HQ pics

there are 4 usb ports so I'm expecting there to be 2 usb and one sd card slot.

2rxupfl1.jpg

:)

netBuff

The secret slot has been revealed!

Now if only we knew whether the Wii U supports FAT32-formatted SD-cards bigger than 32 GB (like the 3DS does) - I'd love to put a 64 GB or 128 GB card in that slot. But I guess that's something we'll find out after launch.

It's alright Skies. If people weren't allowed to have opinions, the world would be an even darker place. The problem, I'm afraid, is that tact has become a lost art form in the information age.

Opinions should not be placed on a pedestal simply because they feel sacred to our own personal well being. I find most opinions to be very biased based on ignorance or lack of experience. For example i dont care what some 14 year old girl thinks about life because she will change her mind 10 more times before shes even 40 years old. And im not going to take someones opinion seriously when it so obviously has roots in personal interest only. Im not saying people cant or shouldnt have them or express them, but in reality opinions are no ones friend and they really are not holy. They are ugly and dirty and basically lies dressed up in sheeps clothing. Ive seen too much life to be affected by "opinions" that pass randomly. I dont know what the answer is to this problem but it certainly isnt to let people get out of logic jail over and over and over just because they play the "opinion" card. Letting someone have their opinion is nice. But chances are their opinions come from a tiny perspective that, when expanded, will change. The effects of education show this to be fact to a degree. If someone wants to attack and argue the logistics of my opinions in life ill gladly let them take a stab at it. You wont see me hiding behind the "sacred" opinion card. Id rather argue it. I feel confident in my grasp of reality.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
I think it's easily Nintendo's best looking console ever.

Super_Famicom.jpg

Super Famicon 4 life.

This just looks like something that was produced at minimal cost with a black glossy outer shell. Which I'm fine with as long as that savings is getting passed on, but I wouldn't say it looks good. Just acceptable. Like a moderately priced external BluRay drive.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Super_Famicom.jpg

Super Famicon 4 life.

This just looks like something that was produced at minimal cost with a black glossy outer shell. Which I'm fine with as long as that savings is getting passed on, but I wouldn't say it looks good. Just acceptable. Like a moderately priced external BluRay drive.
I have to agree. Considering how Nintendo downplayed the importance of the console unit itself at first reveal, I think they wanted something that didn't stand out in any way. It's a box: as minimal and small as can be.

And some night argue that is what makes it a good looking console.. The minimalism. And that may make it quite functional/realistic for our living rooms... But I'm not exactly going to gush over it as a result.

Luigison

It looks like WiiU will use external power supply.

I pretty sure you are right.

Also, since they haven't allowed pics of the back is it possible there will be a way to upgrade the basic white addition memory to the level of the black deluxe edition? I doubt it, but maybe.

Luigison

Will it come with an HDMI cable and no other Video/Audio cable in the US? I can imagine a lot of casual gamers having old TVs that don't have HDMI. (I do. That's what I get for being an early adopter of HD before HDMI came out. I guess this is another reason to upgrade my TV, but my wallet is hurting due to the 3DS, Wii U, and my PS3 failing not to mention the tree limb through my roof/ceiling and flooded basement.)

Drago

Will it come with an HDMI cable and no other Video/Audio cable in the US? I can imagine a lot of casual gamers having old TVs that don't have HDMI. (I do. That's what I get for being an early adopter of HD before HDMI came out. I guess this is another reason to upgrade my TV, but my wallet is hurting due to the 3DS, Wii U, and my PS3 failing not to mention the tree limb through my roof/ceiling and flooded basement.)
According to the person who took these photos, there is a composite output compatible with the Wii composite cables. :)

No composite cables included though...

Luigison

According to the person who took these photos, there is a composite output compatible with the Wii composite cables. :)

No composite cables included though...

Thanks, that is as expected, but I guess that means they'll have composite cables for sale in stores and unsuspecting non Wii owners will have ruined Christmas.

Not a big deal though. I think having the HDMI cable standard is better, but feel sorry for the poor kid that gets a new system that won't work out of the box with his/her TV.

Regardless, this means Nintendo finally realizes that HD has arrived.

netBuff

So is the sensor bar required to use the gamepad? or is that just part of the system if you want to use old wii motes?

Considering sensor bars aren't included in Basic Packs around the world: No, the GamePad doesn't require the sensor bar, it is only needed if you want to use a Wii Remote.

Super_Famicom.jpg

Super Famicon 4 life.

I see your Super Famicom and raise you a Super Famicom Junior!

sfcjr.jpg

So wait, did they actually tell you this was final hardware? It was my understanding that these Wii U experiences were using the same prototype hardware from E3 (and PAX).

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
I think the reason they won't let pics of the back of the unit is that its the one part of the case that's not final (at least on the demo/tour units) and they don't want it to misrepresent how the retail units will look.

CaVaYeRo

Considering sensor bars aren't included in Basic Packs around the world: No, the GamePad doesn't require the sensor bar, it is only needed if you want to use a Wii Remote.

Yeah, GamePad doesn't include a pointing camera like the Wiimote. What is funny is that it includes its own sensor bar so you can point to GamePad screen with your Wiimote. I'm eager to see game concepts in which you have to point to both screens, maybe drag objects from one to the other. But I'm afraid since Wiimote isn't included this won't be used much.

So wait, did they actually tell you this was final hardware? It was my understanding that these Wii U experiences were using the same prototype hardware from E3 (and PAX).

Same white prototype in every demo pod. This was locked in a strong box and very well protected, then you could take photos in a dedicated room.

Personally I think it's great, better than charging over USB for me since I sit pretty far away from my TV. I'll put the charging stand right next to the sofa for maximum convenience.

Yeah, same here - charging PS3 controllers is difficult for me due to distance :)

Berg

wondering if i could use my 3DS power cord for the Gamepad. One charger stays downstairs, one upstairs.

Yeah, same here - charging PS3 controllers is difficult for me due to distance :)
Yes, good thing I just use the BR remote for my PS3 nowadays. I just hope the battery in my pad stays alive for the time when the last of us and the last guardian (lol, right) hit.

Why the clamoring for an optical audio port? Just curious.
Not an issue for me since my AV receiver is only 3 years old or so and accepts everything and stuff but apparently some peeps are out of luck and won't be getting surround sound with their older receivers.

Ramma2

Yes, good thing I just use the BR remote for my PS3 nowadays. I just hope the battery in my pad stays alive for the time when the last of us and the last guardian (lol, right) hit.

Not an issue for me since my AV receiver is only 3 years old or so and accepts everything and stuff but apparently some peeps are out of luck and won't be getting surround sound with their older receivers.

Same here, in my setup with soon to be Wii U, Xbox 360, cable box, Roku, and Blu-Ray player all going HDMI it is hard to justify not having an HDMI receiver these days.

netBuff

Why the clamoring for an optical audio port? Just curious.

I think people with surround gaming headset systems that commonly only accept TOSlink and analogue sound input (like the popular Astro A40s) are the posters complaining the most - and rightfully so. They'll only be able to hear stereo with their headsets, lacking an audio receiver.

While I prefer to use a headset for gaming as well, thankfully sound via HDMI is alright with my setup (Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro & Fiio E09K).

What I'm still peeved about are the damn digital triggers (if only for Super Mario Sunshine)!

CaVaYeRo

Is there a shot of the wiiu on its stand?

Not that I've seen. Haven't seen any console in that position either, nor the Wii U stand or the Wii U GamePad charging base either. I've only seen the normal, S-shape Wii U stand.

But don't know if anyone else got a shot...

Top Bottom