• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NextGen Wheels peripherals PS4 and Xbox One Thread: NeoGaf Wheel Club Updates in OP

I really wish Sony would take some responsibility in regards to peripherals on their system. I think they need to represent the gamer here by somehow creating a blanket license that would promote participation and compatibility. They've given all the power to the peripheral companies, and made life unnecessarily difficult for devs by saying forge your own agreements.

patchday

Don't need to. Standard has been developed by Microsoft 15+ years ago. It is called HID and everyone is using it as an industry standard except...

...Microsoft.

You are full of useful information aren't you? I didn't know this! Haha pretty funny (also very sad)

Finally got my Oculus Rift in the mail and having a blast in my PC sims (well, iRacing atm but will try Asseto Corsa tonight too). I'm thinking I'm going to go cancel my preorder for GT6 and just focus on PC sims. Might still give Drive Club a look later though

I'm really thinking VR is the way to go for racing sims. It's just that promising...

Regarding upward compatibility of the “T500 RS – PS3” racing wheel with PS4 racing games:

This decision is upon each game developer and will therefore vary from racing game to racing game. In the event of upward compatibility with PS4 racing games, the T500 RS – PS3 racing wheel will only be recognized in the game, and not in the console’s menus. Please note that the “SHARE” and “PS” functions will not work on the wheel in PS4 racing games.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...55477061.47379.177715455589531&type=1&theater

Shaneus

Kinda what we expected.

So, I know they somebody (can't remember which company) is releasing an "official Driveclub steering wheel"....

Do we know if that wheel will work system wide or if it specific for that game too?
Expected, but it sucks though... obviously it's not entirely up to the developer to support the wheel, because the buttons not working in menus is something that Sony should have sorted out from the start.

I have a feeling that they will implement a system-wide "driver" to support some of the PS3-specific wheels.

Megasoum

Banned
Has anyone tried connecting any Logitech wheels to the PS4, G25, DFGT or GT 27?

Do they dont work at all.

I tried the CSR wheel in PS3 mode which is basically a G25 (or 27 can't remember) and it doesn't work.

We already know that none of the wheels will work in the PS4 itself anyway. We would need a proper racing game to try any of the wheels. Won't be until Driveclub is out.

If older wheels don´t work on PS4 when GT hits i see a lot of people moving on to PC sims.

Buying wheels is very expensive if you´re not on euro/USA/japan zone. It´s not something you want to discard like a game.

I´m very pissed.

pWFItk8.png

Fanatec should start a Kickstarter campaign for the licensing and funding to get a dongle or software update or whatever it would take. I'd probably chip in like $50.

Shaneus

That IS something. Almost newsworthy, in fact.

Good stuff! By the sounds of it, they may not be hurrying but at least working to have something by the time Driveclub comes out.

:D

paskowitz

That IS something. Almost newsworthy, in fact.

Good stuff! By the sounds of it, they may not be hurrying but at least working to have something by the time Driveclub comes out.

:D

Considering there are still G27/DFGT still in circulation , I think they just want to ensure devs have the tools to add compatibility to their games. Logitech may not be making a new wheel, but I guess they have enough incentive to ensure their current ones work.

Shaneus

Considering there are still G27/DFGT still in circulation , I think they just want to ensure devs have the tools to add compatibility to their games. Logitech may not be making a new wheel, but I guess they have enough incentive to ensure their current ones work.
That's what I've been thinking all along... I still see new G27s for sale! Even though they have new packaging and may be a slightly different revision to mine (new box has more stylised font, mine has the generic one) they should still have interest in getting support to work. Otherwise who else are going to buy their wheels? They'd be restricting it to either PS3-only gamers with no future game support or PC gamers.

So do you think $240 is a good price for G27? I've decided to get this wheel, finally. Been going back and forth between it and the T500RS. Now that Logitech has hinted they are working on PS4 support I am comfortable buying this wheel for Gran Turismo 6. Only thing is that Amazon just had it on sale yesterday for $200! I seriously missed the boat. Does Amazon do price adjustments after purchase? Do you think it will go on sale again on Black Friday?

http://i.imgur.com/pWFItk8.png?1[IMG][/QUOTE]

That's huge. Will make my transition to PS4 much easier when I finally break down and get one.

[quote="crazepharmacist, post: 91274434"]So do you think $240 is a good price for G27? I've decided to get this wheel, finally. Been going back and forth between it and the T500RS. Now that Logitech has hinted they are working on PS4 support I am comfortable buying this wheel for Gran Turismo 6. Only thing is that Amazon just had it on sale yesterday for $200! I seriously missed the boat. Does Amazon do price adjustments after purchase? Do you think it will go on sale again on Black Friday?[/QUOTE]

Lots of questions here. $240 is a good price, but definitely not a great price. I got my G27 for $240, and that was a month or two after GT5 dropped, so quite a while ago. I've seen them go for under $200 from time to time, and I think even $180 once.

With the holiday season, I'd wait it out for the $200 price again, maybe you can even do better. But that being said, I wouldn't 100% rely on that tweet from Logitech as guaranteeing G27 support for the PS4. It should, and I think it helps alleviate the angst that many G27 owners had, but I think I'd still be hesitant to buy one without further confirmation.

RotBot

That's huge. Will make my transition to PS4 much easier when I finally break down and get one.

Lots of questions here. $240 is a good price, but definitely not a great price. I got my G27 for $240, and that was a month or two after GT5 dropped, so quite a while ago. I've seen them go for under $200 from time to time, and I think even $180 once.

With the holiday season, I'd wait it out for the $200 price again, maybe you can even do better. But that being said, I wouldn't 100% rely on that tweet from Logitech as guaranteeing G27 support for the PS4. It should, and I think it helps alleviate the angst that many G27 owners had, but I think I'd still be hesitant to buy one without further confirmation.

Just 2 days ago, it was $199 on Amazon and it's been in the $220s 7 times this year. Waiting's definitely a good idea. I bought mine for $150 in 2010 when Best Buy decided to clear out its inventory, but I don't think we'll see that price again.

Set up a price alert and wait.

Vormund

Fanatec owner here, and I really hope that Logitech get it working. Ideally it would be great to have it running at an OS level and making it standard.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Fuck, congrats on all the gaffers who were able to jump on that INSANE deal with the TRS-500 for $150

I'm sure there a few gaffers who have bought two or even three, please sell me one? Please? :p

saladine1

Does anyone have any idea whatsoever when Fanatec will release information regarding their next gen wheels?

I can't take driving with a controller anymore and need a wheel. If Thomas announces something in the next few months, I'll hold off and wait to see what's what.
I just don't want to be waiting for a year you know?

Mascot

Does anyone have any idea whatsoever when Fanatec will release information regarding their next gen wheels?

I can't take driving with a controller anymore and need a wheel. If Thomas announces something in the next few months, I'll hold off and wait to see what's what.
I just don't want to be waiting for a year you know?

It's the reason I'm yet to jump on the next-gen bandwagon, and probably why I'll still be playing FM4 this time next year.

BigDug13

I would think some of these peripheral makers would want to give driver support to help them require less manufacturing as well. Maybe it's not so feasible for a company like Thrustmaster to have a design team create different wheels for each console with different functioning internals and have a factory pump out different versions of the same wheel to support various consoles.

I would think it would be easier to design and build one controller that can be supported on multiple consoles via driver releases. It also makes inventory management easier.

Got me a T500RS. =)

I'm not 100% sure it works with my old Playseat Evolution though.

I'm 100% sure it won't fit on my homemade cockpit that I use with my G27, so I'll probably have to drill a few holes this weekend. I hope everything fits and lines up okay.

Said cockpit, years ago, pre-G27 installation:
DSC00651.jpg

@Neuromancer, @TangoAlphaLima

success-kid-590x438.jpg

I haven't delved deep into the version numbers yet, but mine doesn't have a version modifier, yet it's not a V.1 with the different pedal springs etc. Anybody know what the story is there?

Already ordered some Basher bushings too.

Varth

Woohoo! Something!

Logitech support also means Fanatec support.

Really? Why is that? I have a Fanatec Porsche and a G25, and would't mind selling the one that ends up being incompatible with PS4.

EDIT: also, @ TangoAlphaLima: did you use some kind of blueprint for that? Mind to share? I have a friend that may be interested in building something exactly like that.

_machine

Really? Why is that? I have a Fanatec Porsche and a G25, and would't mind selling the one that ends up being incompatible with PS4.
I believe it's because they have a G27/G25 emulation mode so it's possible it would work as a "Logitech" on PS4 (using the logitechs drivers and portraying itself as one).

EDIT: also, @ TangoAlphaLima: did you use some kind of blueprint for that? Mind to share? I have a friend that may be interested in building something exactly like that.

I can't seem to find the blueprints now. I got them years ago over at GTPlanet, in the subforum on cockpits. It was a homemade rig some guy made, and he threw up the blueprints there. I adapted it slightly, he had a curve at the bottom front, but I just made it angular. I think he also had it so you could adjust the distance of the seat from the wheel, but my seat was on sliders anyway, so I didn't need to do that.

At any rate, that subforum would be a good place for your friend to look for ideas and blueprints. My cockpit gets the job done, but it's far from the most elaborate I've seen.

DirtyLarry

My wife asked me for an XMas List, I started thinking about something I really want but normally would not purchase myself, and I thought about a racing wheel for Forza 5 and the One. I then remembered this thread existed.

Damn. I love playing with a wheel in driving games, but I have never been hardcore into driving games enough to have ever invested in a very good wheel. The most I ever spent was I think $150 at the time for the Logitech GT. The most I would ever feel comfortable spending is $250 tops, and that is even really pushing it. I just know how much I am into the genre, and while I truly enjoy using the wheel, it is not make or break for me.

So yeah, no way I can spend $399 on either XBox One offering, nevermind ask my wife to. As much as I know I would love it, and possibly get way more into the genre and possibly get even more serious about it, I just cannot do it. That is crazy. Damn, that sucks.

Are there ever going to be any less expensive wheels released?

Top Bottom