• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
You cannot really comment on what resolution that texture is after it's been through mip-mapping, it a lower resolution version of the original. You are arguing the original is higher res, but that's kind of irrelevant when talking about textures far away. I think it's all about texture filtering there is nothing else that can explain the difference when talking about mip-maps at extreme angles.

I think it's an impossible stance to argue the PS3 has a lower resolution texture and is less blurry. You cannot unblur something by adding contrast or black pixels. You can unblur a mip-map using AF, it is about the only explanation that makes sense.

They kind of discuss this here, you are even quoted on the previous page. The consensus is better base textures on 360, AF on the PS3. This is not controversial and the evidence backs it up.
Yes, the base textures are higher resolution on 360 (by quite a bit). That was my main point.

However, regardless of whether AF is in use on PS3, it is a very low level of AF.

Look, here is that PS3 shot...

939213_20071106_screen015.jpg

Notice how poor the filtering is? That could be, at best, 2x AF. Perhaps even selective AF.

However, I maintain that a different texture can appear different at a distance depending on how it was drawn. The mipmaps generated vary depending on what the original texture is.

I can't find the same area for 360, but look at the PS3 textures here...

939213_20071106_screen013.jpg

On 360, the brick wall and the ground are much higher resolution. The ground texture is very different here, however, in that is has very dark cracks throughout. The 360 textures in that same scene are much lighter in appearance. You can see how pixelated and blurred the textures are (even up close), however. The resolution is clearly quite low. On 360, those artifacts are not present (though the texture does blur at a distance due to use of trilinear filtering).

Kingpen

DarkAngelYuna said:
You know trading games in to gamestop comes out to being much more expensive...

I don't really care to amass a huge wall full of games that I won't touch again, if ever. I have a cap limit of around 30 games I keep at one time. So I keep the best ones, and trade others. Thanks for the tip though.

Draft

Mrbob said:
Son of biscuit keep the CoD4 crap out of this thread plz. :x
They really need to be stopped. Like, someone should do something. I dunno. Moderate their behavior, somehow.

Naeblish

Are those CE cases the same like the CE from Mass Effect? I hated ME's artbook, i'll stay with pc releases for decent artbooks.

dark10x

Draft said:
They really need to be stopped. Like, someone should do something. I dunno. Moderate their behavior, somehow.
Oh, quiet. Fine. I'm done with it anyways. If anyone wants to continue, send me a PM.

I'm going to go play the game (DMC4).

Defuser

Mrbob said:
Defuser and Y2Kev give me your PSN names?

Wait maybe I have you on my PSN list already Y2Kev I forget sorry not home to check! Dark10x I'll take yours too. I like to see how much I get owned by gaffers.
PSN: xDefuser

KGKK

Banned
Hmm so you can compare the PSN accomplishments? That's pretty cool. Add me people please as I will not get to play till tomorrow morning. Could barely keep my eyes open right now since I have been up since 4:30pm yesterday:lol

Oh yeah, PSN is KGKK

dark10x

neojubei said:
Dark you should stop or you can expect a spanking from daddy.

"Jester gonna spank your butt, spank you on the buuuuuuuuuuuuutttttttt"
I just said I will stop. It's hard not to argue when people basically slam what you've said and claim you to be flat out wrong. Would you just ignore it completely?

Again, forgive the side tracking (not that it REALLY had any significant impact on the thread). I will say no more on it.

WrikaWrek

Banned
One thing i wasn't expecting from DMC4 were the "finishing moves" a la Ninja Gaiden 2.

All the bosses have a special move reserved for them that is activated by using the devil arm, and then you watch this sequence, but unlike a QTE you don't have to do anything.

Coin Return

Loose Slot
Just got home from Gamestop with my regular 360 edition, but I can't play for a few more hours as there are people over watching basketball. Leave, damnit!

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Damn that collector's edition looks like a winner, just like lost planet's collector's edition. no logo but the game's logo, everything else is on the slipcase cover.

Drewsy

Banned
Blah, I kind of wish they kept the time that gets figured into the final mission score confined to enemy encounters. I'd be getting straight A's, but I like to see the sights my first time through.
sad.gif

I'm in NY and picked up the regular edition for 360. Never played a DMC game before and I'm having a hard time getting into this one so far. Played maybe about an hour so far and I keep finding myself comparing it to Ninja Gaiden and God of War. It looks great and the production value is up there, but I personally don't like the art direction very much. The action so far is okay, but I haven't been wowed or anything yet. Guess it takes time. One thing I definitely don't like are the controls, which are the opposite of intuitive.

Anyone know how long the game is supposed to be?

Defuser

whatdidyousay said:
I'm in NY and picked up the regular edition for 360. Never played a DMC game before and I'm having a hard time getting into this one so far. Played maybe about an hour so far and I keep finding myself comparing it to Ninja Gaiden and God of War. It looks great and the production value is up there, but I personally don't like the art direction very much. The action so far is okay, but I haven't been wowed or anything yet. Guess it takes time. One thing I definitely don't like are the controls, which are the opposite of intuitive.

Anyone know how long the game is supposed to be?
More than 15 hrs. Just watch some videos on how pro players play DMC4.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTXDGLQmav0

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Ack, I need this game!!

I can see myself playing this game so much, I've probably played the demo at least 10 times, I'm just addicted to the combat. The weapons and other unlocks will keep me going longer too.

man I couldnt find a copy,
-Circuit City was sold out
-Best Buy said it wasnt out yet :/
-and I didnt see any copies at walmat

Ill have to check Best Buy or GS tomorrow.

purg3 said:
Got my copy today(360), only played for about an hour so far but so far it's great.

But it's not innovative enough. Fun doesn't mean anything anymore. It needs to innovate.

8.5/10 'ed

(random reviewer from random website/blog)

hteng

Banned
i think i've already put more than 15 hours in this game, i finished Devil Hunter and Son of Sparda mode. Somehow the final boss had not changed much from devil hunter to Son of Sparda and the fight was a joke. Anyway, Im still missing 3 blue fragments, i've finished the secret missions, i need a guide on those fragment locations. Bloody palace is pretty fun but fucking annoying with some enemies, highest was only 29 stages :(

Artie

Im on mission five, but in mission four I did the secret mission, and died. And I had to restart. Argh, I am not trying those anymore.

Fun game though, I like using the Devil Bringer mid-air.

gconsole

C- Warrior said:
But it's not innovative enough. Fun doesn't mean anything anymore. It needs to innovate.

8.5/10 'ed

Why every game need RE4 innovation to get 9+ score ? The game reviewer nowadays are fuck up. They take too much influence from some game and compare to another without learning its true nature. It doesn't mean they have to praise everything about DMC but some complain I heard sound radiculous.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Are both manuals in black and white?

C- Warrior said:

8.5/10 'ed

Pretty much.

WrikaWrek

Banned
C- Warrior said:

8.5/10 'ed

Well, it's like scoring movies man. If a movie already done it before, and if it's a sequel and it's too similar to the original, it's very normal that it won't score as high as the original.

Like it or not, reviewers do good by pushing for innovation.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
WrikaWrek said:
Well, it's like scoring movies man. If a movie already done it before, and if it's a sequel and it's too similar to the original, it's very normal that it won't score as high as the original.

Like it or not, reviewers do good by pushing for innovation.
On the contrary, if it isn't enough like the original then people complain...

Top Bottom