• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 6/11 - 6/17

justchris

Mr. Pointy said:
In hindisight, it's kind of silly to expect a remake to carry the PS3's hopes. I mean, it's like people putting their bets on REmake.

I don't have linguist eyes, but I suspect you're right about that. Still, it's a game, and PS3 hasn't had many of those lately. I mean, even Call of Duty sold fairly well. I think that's an indication that PS3 owners are perhaps starved for content.

Brain Training is a real game.
Some people I know bought it for the Sudoku in it.
Sudoku is a puzzle
Puzzles are real game genres
Therefor Brain Training is a real game.

Speevy

Banned
It's not like Ninja Gaiden and Ninja Gaiden Black were multi-million sellers to start with, and they launched on a system with a 15-20(?) million userbase.

Sho_Nuff82 said:
I just have never understood the whole "buy and sell a console" for one game bit. It happens over here as well. Don't these people have closets? They'll probably end up buying it again somewhere down the line to play Lost Odyssey, and they'll have lost money on the re-purchase, so what's the point? Is it really that shameful to have a second console lying around? Why not try out another game just for shits and giggles?

You'd hear about this all the time last gen with the Gamecube and it never made sense to me.
Since consoles drop in price you won't loose a lot of money. If there is only 1 game on the horizon that you're interested in then why not? Personally I'd rather rent the machine since games nowadays are usually not that long and easy on top of that. You could easily play through 2 or 3 in 2 days. But maybe consoles aren't for rent in Japan? Maybe some JGAFers can shed some light?

angelfly said:
Wow @ PS3 numbers. So what's the next "Wait for X" game for PS3? A couple more games like Trusty Bell and I think 360 might actually have a chance in Japan but maybe I'm being overly optimistic.
That's being overly optimistic. If anything I think the TB sales prove that 360 stands no chance in the long run. For such a high profile game the bump in hardware sales is insignificant. And since the software most likely won't have any decent legs the software sales are pretty bad as well. It probably won't scratch 100.000 and I'm sure it had a pretty big budget (not Blue Dragon big but still).

Without moneyhats from MS no publisher would greenlight a Japan-centric game with such a budget.

Plus no one in their right mind expected NG:S to shift big hardware numbers. The real test for Sony comes with HSG.

icecream

Public Health Threat
Phife Dawg said:
If anything I think the TB sales prove that 360 stands no chance in the long run. For such a high profile game the bump in hardware sales is insignificant. And since the software most likely won't have any decent legs the software sales are pretty bad as well.
Was it really a high profile game? From the impressions of it, the game seems to be just another cast off attempt by Namco for 360 support.

The next game after BD to show off would be Lost Odyssey. Trusty Bell was always just a stepping stone along the way.

Avrum

Greenpanda said:
If you throw out all the * Training titles and just look at the game (vs. educational) software, Sony's actually pretty doing well:

I also hear that if you eliminate every piece of software in the top 30 that doesn't begin with the prefix NDS or Wii, Sony is kicking all sorts of ass.

Speevy said:
It's not like Ninja Gaiden and Ninja Gaiden Black were multi-million sellers to start with, and they launched on a system with a 15-20(?) million userbase.

But the powerz of nex-gen. Wii Graphicz sucks ass, xbox gamez look better lolz, the fad will die.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Avrum said:
I also hear that if you eliminate every piece of software in the top 30 that doesn't begin with the prefix NDS or Wii, Sony is kicking all sorts of ass.

Then if you remove all ps* and 360, then we're in the midst of another video game crash.

milanbaros

Member?
Greenpanda said:
I have to wonder how longer we're going to keep non-game software on "video game" sales charts. I don't mean casting aspersions on Wii Sports on a "non-games," I mean stuff like English Training and the recipe book that is clearly intended for educational or productivity use and isn't a game at all. Should we really be comparing that kind of stuff to entertainment products? I think people are buying those softs for completely different reason.

I think they keep them on the software chart because they are software and also, some people actually find learning fun.

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
Kafel said:
Did I miss first day sales figures or they didn't appear yet ?

I'm eagerly awaiting them as well. I'd also like a review of Folksoul so I know if its worth buying a damned PS3 for.

icecream said:
Was it really a high profile game? From the impressions of it, the game seems to be just another cast off attempt by Namco for 360 support.

The next game after BD to show off would be Lost Odyssey. Trusty Bell was always just a stepping stone along the way.
I think I missworded that. I meant high-profile as in having a reasonably high budget and sales expectations. It may be a mediocre game, I don't know. Personally I'm not really into JRPGs that's why I haven't followed the discussions about the game itself.

And I too expect bigger things from LO but all these investions have not come to fruition for MS. The general trend stays the same. And even if TB is only a mediocre game it's from a known dev team, a known publisher and from all we could gather had a reasonable amount of hype. Still it did nothing significant, neither on the soft- not hardware front. If MS doesn't continue moneyhatting in the future I don't see publishers bringing out software specifically for Japan. And without a serious influx of must-have software titles the 360 will stay the failure it is. (cue "but it'll do better than XBox")

Galactic Fork

Phife Dawg said:
I think I missworded that. I meant high-profile as in having a reasonably high budget and sales expectations. It may be a mediocre game, I don't know. Personally I'm not really into JRPGs that's why I haven't followed the discussions about the game itself.

And I too expect bigger things from LO but all these investions have not come to fruition for MS. The general trend stays the same. And even if TB is only a mediocre game it's from a known dev team, a known publisher and from all we could gather had a reasonable amount of hype. Still it did nothing significant, neither on the soft- not hardware front. If MS doesn't continue moneyhatting in the future I don't see publishers bringing out software specifically for Japan. And without a serious influx of must-have software titles the 360 will stay the failure it is. (cue "but it'll do better than XBox")

Well, even if it's not selling great in japan, there's still a decent size fan base of jrpgs in the US, and that was one genre the PS2 had over the xbox. If they can turn a profit on US and europe sales of these games, the companies could probably forgive the low JPN sales and continue developing the genres, even if they're meant for a japanese audience.

GreenGlowingGoo said:
Well, even if it's not selling great in japan, there's still a decent size fan base of jrpgs in the US, and that was one genre the PS2 had over the xbox. If they can turn a profit on US and europe sales of these games, the companies could probably forgive the low JPN sales and continue developing the genres, even if they're meant for a japanese audience.
Commercial success for JRPGs in the western market is not a given. But even for the titles which enjoy a great success in the western market you still have to bear in mind that you can't turn things around with RPGs alone. There is a lot of japanese-centric software that doesn't fit into the western markets and never sees a release here.

I think we won't see a lot of the crazy japanese stuff on the 360 (minus Idolmaster) and I think it'll continue to suffer because of that. Remember that RPGs also take a lot of time to develop, you're looking at years of development time. There won't be a steady influx of titles, that's why the general trend for 360 doesn't change despite some big games launching.

But it is funny that as a fan of JRPGs you're currently better off with a 360 then with a PS3 or a Wii. That is bound to change though in the coming years I think.

icecream

Public Health Threat
Or rather, you'll see the crazy stuff on 360, while the big name, mainstream stuff stick to the Wii and PS3.

And I too expect bigger things from LO but all these investions have not come to fruition for MS. The general trend stays the same.
What have they tried so far? N3 and BD? That's 1/2 thus far.

Grampasso

Hcoregamer00 said:
No, they are so good that they need to combine forces to overtake the evil wii.

They still need to spend 40 hours leveling up to beat the DS.
Mmmh I think they'll pass, they don't like level grinding...

Someone should put Dengeki charts too...btw, I don't understand why the PSP bump? 33% increase because of what? Only release was Colin Mcrae and last week releases FF2 and DBZ2 sunk in the charts.

First day numbers...

NDS Itadaki Street DS - 70k (not sure...can someone check to confirm?)
PS2 Growlanser VI - ~30k
PS2 Mana Khemia - <20k
Wii Hajime no Ippo Revolution - ~10k
360 Saints Row - ~7k
PS3 Folks Soul - ~7k

I thought Folk Soul would do at least 15k first day. I didn't expect it to bomb this hard...I'll have to lower my estimates for HSG down to 70k for the opening week and 15k for the hardware.

I think the platform choice for current gen home consoles for niche jrpgs is now clear for, otherwise, they will all end up on the DS.

GreenGlowingGoo said:

They're called JRPGs for a reason. I guess it did fine, considering(low 360 userbase, most Atlus games does 50k, etc) but I'm sure they had higher aspirations with the title.

Aeris130

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
PS2 Growlanser VI - ~30k
PS2 Mana Khemia - <20k
360 Saints Row - ~7k
PS3 Folks Soul - ~7k

Does anyone know how big those shipments were?

Masklinn

Accept one saviour, get the second free.
Headin' towards PS3forums, should be fun, their equivalent for this thread is already a denialfest, these news should make for fun reading.

Galactic Fork

Phife Dawg said:
Commercial success for JRPGs in the western market is not a given. But even for the titles which enjoy a great success in the western market you still have to bear in mind that you can't turn things around with RPGs alone. There is a lot of japanese-centric software that doesn't fit into the western markets and never sees a release here.

I think we won't see a lot of the crazy japanese stuff on the 360 (minus Idolmaster) and I think it'll continue to suffer because of that. Remember that RPGs also take a lot of time to develop, you're looking at years of development time. There won't be a steady influx of titles, that's why the general trend for 360 doesn't change despite some big games launching.

You're right, and I was focusing on Jrpgs, but I think the fact that they are marketable in the west was the only reason the high profile for japanese games were jrpgs (Except idolm@aster of course, though I wish it'd come here). Even faster to make cheaper games are a much bigger risk if there's no chance it'll sail elsewhere.

Phife Dawg said:
But it is funny that as a fan of JRPGs you're currently better off with a 360 then with a PS3 or a Wii. That is bound to change though in the coming years I think.

That's true for the moment, and why I'll have one in a couple months. It woulda been my first current gen system if I didn't accidentally get a Wii last week.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Someone should put Dengeki charts too...btw, I don't understand why the PSP bump? 33% increase because of what? Only release was Colin Mcrae and last week releases FF2 and DBZ2 sunk in the charts.

First day numbers...

PS2 Growlanser VI - ~30k
PS2 Mana Khemia - <20k
360 Saints Row - ~7k
PS3 Folks Soul - ~7k

What about Zelda?

How was the Folk Soul promotions and marketing anyway? Isn't it a true, bonafide jrpg?

Iirc, it got really good scores from Famitsu. Why aren't the PS3 owners who have been screaming that no games tailored for them have been released not buying it? I actually pegged it as one of those dark horse hits that would have came out of nowhere on the sales chart.

GreenGlowingGoo said:
What about Zelda?
Saturday release, not Thursday.

I think sinobi says that Folks Soul shipment is 20k (but I'm not sure), and about Itadaki it says quite more but I don't understand it well so if anyone else can translate, it'd be greatly appreciated.

test_account

XP-39C²
GreenGlowingGoo said:
I'd imagine they get the reports, but I honestly don't know.

marvelharvey said:
I believe that around 90% of Japanese stores inform MC of their sales, then MC extrapolates the data with some non-ioi algorithm for the other 10%

From what I remember, Famitsu uses a small percentage of stores to base their numbers on.

Waiting for someone to correct me 3, 2, 1...

Ok, tnx for the info :)

Luckyman said:
:lol @ Folksoul JRPG.

My bad. But wouldn't you agree that it is one of the early games directed at Japanese tastes? Or does the game magically become a western thing after all the gushing from some people?

justjohn

i think its time sony pressed the panic button, if they havent already. something is wrong, and its clearly not the price nor the games

justjohn said:
i think its time sony pressed the panic button, if they havent already. something is wrong, and its clearly not the price nor the games

Um, they should have taped the button down in March or so. Now, it's a little late.

Pureauthor said:
Um, they should have taped the button down in March or so. Now, it's a little late.
Indeed. Personally, I think Japan's mainstream tastes have been forever altered by the DS and now the Wii. Those two systems and their titles are the main focus of that market now. Everything else is very secondary. I wouldn't be surprised to see even FFXIII sell underwhelmingly there and fail to give the PS3 the kind of bump it might've had prior to Ninty's resurgence.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Pureauthor said:

I think the button should be a little worn out by now, after 6 weeks of 10000> PS3 sales, I think the word isn't panic, but capitulate, I wonder if they'll welcome their new Nintendo overlords.

Aeris130

I can't help but think about the amount of crow served if Sony actually manages to pull a miracle and win in Japan.

Wait for Minna no Golf!

Aeris130 said:
I can't help but think about the amount of crow served if Sony actually manages to pull a miracle and win in Japan.

Wait for Minna no Golf!

Is this a serious post? Because the Crow has all been but served and eaten. And Nintendo fans aren't the ones with a full belly.

edit: nvm

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Aeris130 said:

Wait for Minna no Golf!

If PS3 OR PSP ends up winning in Japan I will stop posting in Gaf, forever, screw it, I WILL BAN MYSELF FROM THE INTERNET, FOREVER, IF PS3 OR PSP WIN IN JAPAN.

There I said it, good thing neither will happen.

Vagabundo

Phife Dawg said:
If MS doesn't continue moneyhatting in the future I don't see publishers bringing out software specifically for Japan. And without a serious influx of must-have software titles the 360 will stay the failure it is. (cue "but it'll do better than XBox")

Havaen't MS stated that they will cut support for the 360 in JP at some point if things don't improve.

By cut support I mean stop trying not withdrawn the console totally.

Top Bottom