• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix thread

turk128

Raging Spaniard said:
It basically means that if something comes out shitty, its because they have to stick to the original frame restrictions, but of it looks good its because of their L33t skills to change and adapt the game.

That way, theres an explanation for everything :)
This is so damn true, it's stopped being ironic and is just sad now :\

I actually like the head on this one better than the original but it's not even close to being within the coloring book method people say they're using. Hmmm... there's something going on in the crouch area....

Hunahan

Banned
Yeah, it definately looks great art-wise, but it's kind of strange how growing some extra height isn't going to mess up the hit detection. Hmm.

And seriously, everyone who's complaining needs to throw down and offer up their own version. If you can do better, feel free to bitch.

dfyb

Banned
Hunahan said:
Yeah, it definately looks great art-wise, but it's kind of strange how growing some extra height isn't going to mess up the hit detection. Hmm.

And seriously, everyone who's complaining needs to throw down and offer up their own version. If you can do better, feel free to bitch.
the tiles used for drawing the sprites (seen in sagat pics) could also very well be used for hit detection. if true, and since the tiles are staying the same, hit detection will be exactly the same. could be percieved as more/less accurate depending on how the new sprites fill up those tiles though.

Hunahan

Banned
Hmm..I think the alpha channel on the tiles factors into hit detection quite a bit. Overall tiles just seem too large from what I've played of Street Fighter games over the years to be the actual hit radius...but I'm sure they'll have it figured out by the time the game ships.

dfyb

Banned
Hunahan said:
Hmm..I think the alpha channel on the tiles factors into hit detection quite a bit. Overall tiles just seem too large from what I've played of Street Fighter games over the years to be the actual hit radius...but I'm sure they'll have it figured out by the time the game ships.
5_15.jpg

that's the original guile hitbox for super street fighter 2 turbo

while the hitboxes are blocky, it confirms that i was wrong in assuming the tiles could also be used for the hitboxes.

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
dfyb said:
....4:3 is retarded. they are sticking to the original code way too rigidly

If nothing else, they should take the senko no ronde approach and have the gameplay area in 4:3 and have visible background 16:9

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
dfyb said:
http://la.gg/upl/5_15.jpg[img]

that's the original guile hitbox for super street fighter 2 turbo

while the hitboxes are blocky, it confirms that i was wrong in assuming the tiles could also be used for the hitboxes.[/QUOTE]

You didn't have to look for an old scan to disprove your theory silly, all you had to do was read the blog ;p

[QUOTE][IMG]http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1268/666067258_5d0b39ee5c.jpg

This picture above shows a proposed design of the new frame. You’ll notice that Sagat was beefed up a bit. The problem with this frame though is that his kicking foot extends past the old one because his proportions have been increased. This will mess with the hit detection, making it seem like Sagat’s foot is halfway into the opponent before connecting. As a result, the artist will have to make adjustments to the pose in order to make the foot fit in the hit detection area, without looking like he has a short leg.

I had the same theory you did and was gonna post it about an hour before you did :lol

MCD

About the 4:3

i think they will add the stretching option to make it fit for 16:9

exactly like SFII Xbox Live version.

MCD

A very interesting comment on the blog caught my attention, here:

The person doing the new Sprites is a tracer and nothing more.

The following statement:

"he looked like a giant troll. That’s why the head was moved up and made a little smaller."

Is a certainly misleading. It suggests the head was redrawn from scratch.

Infact the head was probably altered because it seems it was more convenient the guy who's doing those terrible new sprites to TRACE the portrait of T-Hawk from an artwork for Street Fighter 2 - Turbo Revival (GBA).

The artwork was drawn by Capcom's Edayan.

Why not mention this?

If all you do is what seems to be TRACING Edayan's art why not hire HIM to do the job?

If the persons involved with this project are as big streetfighter fans as they pretend to be they should at least give credit to the original capcom artists when they trace their stuff.

The whole matter is very disrespectful towards the original creators of the streetfighter series.

If you guys TRACE over exsisting artworks at least mention which ones you are tracing and give them credit in your blog updates.

I'm still looking forward to this project but hope you will change the artist who is in charge of the sprites.

pictures for reference:

5y2l3rb.jpg

6biy4gh.gif

Xtyle

I really REALLY don't understand why that neck muscle going to the clavicle is not straight as in real people and as the Capcom drawing HAS it.

Since I have opened this can of worm, I will open up another...T Hawk's upper body is tilted to his right instead of just FORWARD (I think one of the reasons being the angle of the head/neck)...most awkward thing I notice in this one (thought it would not be as bad if he actually animates moving his upper body left and right, probably not the case here though.)

I think Capcom's is much more successful in showing perspective and form (the right upper arm and the RING.)

This is just looking at 1 drawing though, in game it probably won't be so bad (I am worried about the animation though, looking at these new spirits)

Xtyle

"And seriously, everyone who's complaining needs to throw down and offer up their own version. If you can do better, feel free to bitch."

outside of artistic skills, WE do not have the same guidelines (what's allowed or not) and reference from Capcom as these guys have. None of the fan made remake has tried to stay too far from the original for that reason, which is harder to make it appealing.

and if a restaurant serves me half baked chicken (and not so tasty), I have to be able to be a good cook myself in order for me to complain about it? Where is that logic from???????
Dumbest thing I have ever heard.

it shouldnt be 16:9. as long as it has proper screen stretch options like just about all recent compilations, remakes and what have you it should be fine. no reason for them to have to rework everything to 16:9.

Hunahan

Banned
So first it doesn't look enough like the official artwork, now it looks too much like the official artwork.

I get it. They can't do anything right.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Hunahan said:

From some pages back

Morrigan Sprite Remake

And wow and T-Hawks trace job, good find. My only beef with the arms is that they werent consistent with the rest of the sprite in terms of quality, but its something an artist would notice, not a fan so its not a huge deal really

Xtyle

because your characters can be further away from each other. A 4:3 has less room to go around that 16:9. I can understand their concerns.

Hunahan

Banned
bigben85 said:
"And seriously, everyone who's complaining needs to throw down and offer up their own version. If you can do better, feel free to bitch."

outside of artistic skills, WE do not have the same guidelines (what's allowed or not) and reference from Capcom as these guys have. None of the fan made remake has tried to stay too far from the original for that reason, which is harder to make it appealing.

and if a restaurant serves me half baked chicken (and not so tasty), I have to be able to be a good cook myself in order for me to complain about it? Where is that logic from???????
Dumbest thing I have ever heard.

Honestly, I'm just getting frustrated with the reaction by the fans, that's all.

They're redrawing the entire sprite set of Super Street Fighter II for a XBLA release. That doesn't strike anyone else as falling under "fan service?" Exactly how big do you think the market is for 2D Fighters anymore? Does anyone honestly believe this was the most profitable option floating around on the Capcom drawing board?

In your analogy - "chicken" isn't even on the menu these days. That chef prepared that shit special order just for you from what I can see.

I should probably just leave it alone. I know, it's just GAF being GAF. This board is hyper-critical about everything. Fair enough.

I just personally prefer to leave my hyper-critical goggles for the super-budget Halos and Call Of Duties. The games where you know these companies are going to be banking eighty bajillion dollars off our backs, and have every luxury afforded to them in terms of budget.

A remake of an old game that hardly anyone cares about getting what is pretty much the biggest and best retro-treatment anyone's ever seen on the service? Hell, I'm willing to roll with the punches a bit on that.

Sometimes you gotta just take what you can get. You can either piss on Disgaea and Gradius V until their entire respective genres vanish from the market, or you can be thankfull for what you get. I choose the latter. Street Fighter HD? Looks pretty damn good to me. It's Street Fighter HD.

Maybe Capcom should have just crapped out an offline ROM-dump of the SNES port. Seems like more people would have been happy that way, and it obviously would have been a hell of a lot cheaper to do. If we keep going on this path of public reception, I'm pretty sure next time that's exactly what will happen.

And maybe that's exactly why I'm getting frustrated. You know, "never look a gift horse in the mouth" and all that...

Anyways, sorry if I offended. I usually do a better job of biting my tongue.

Cheers.

Xtyle

I don't think you are offensive, just honest.

I don't agree with just take what you can get and we are lucky we get anything at all...we do have to pay for it, however priced.

I just don't agree with some of the decisions made on the remake spirits. I mean if you just trace it over the original and northing's changed, that is one thing, but if you want to spice it up with new ideas and IMPROVEMENTS, these better be good ideas and improves over the original. So far that's hit and miss. But hey, Capcom's ok with it so who am I to complain.

Just so you know, I am just stating my opinion.

Dali

Hunahan said:
Honestly, I'm just getting frustrated with the reaction by the fans, that's all.

They're redrawing the entire sprite set of Super Street Fighter II for a XBLA release. That doesn't strike anyone else as falling under "fan service?" Exactly how big do you think the market is for 2D Fighters anymore? Does anyone honestly believe this was the most profitable option floating around on the Capcom drawing board?

In your analogy - "chicken" isn't even on the menu these days. That chef prepared that shit special order just for you from what I can see.

I should probably just leave it alone. I know, it's just GAF being GAF. This board is hyper-critical about everything. Fair enough.

I just personally prefer to leave my hyper-critical goggles for the super-budget Halos and Call Of Duties. The games where you know these companies are going to be banking eighty bajillion dollars off our backs, and have every luxury afforded to them in terms of budget.

A remake of an old game that hardly anyone cares about getting what is pretty much the biggest and best retro-treatment anyone's ever seen on the service? Hell, I'm willing to roll with the punches a bit on that.

Sometimes you gotta just take what you can get. You can either piss on Disgaea and Gradius V until their entire respective genres vanish from the market, or you can be thankfull for what you get. I choose the latter. Street Fighter HD? Looks pretty damn good to me. It's Street Fighter HD.

Maybe Capcom should have just crapped out an offline ROM-dump of the SNES port. Seems like more people would have been happy that way, and it obviously would have been a hell of a lot cheaper to do. If we keep going on this path of public reception, I'm pretty sure next time that's exactly what will happen.

And maybe that's exactly why I'm getting frustrated. You know, "never look a gift horse in the mouth" and all that...

Anyways, sorry if I offended. I usually do a better job of biting my tongue.

Cheers.

I stopped reading your post around the food analogy. This isn't just some little to no profit fan service project. This is R&D that Capcom is going to get paid for.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
WasteLand Soldier said:
it shouldnt be 16:9. as long as it has proper screen stretch options like just about all recent compilations, remakes and what have you it should be fine. no reason for them to have to rework everything to 16:9.

Why not just add virtual borders, and continue the background on both side of the screen? It would be easy since the gameplay is restricted to 4:3, and it doesn't look awful.

MCD

Hunahan said:
So first it doesn't look enough like the official artwork, now it looks too much like the official artwork.

I get it. They can't do anything right.

Yes, they can do things right, when they credit the original artist they traced from, who in this case, is Edayan.

you see, people are fine with it resembling Capcom's art, that's what we all want, but what we also want, is them mentioning and giving credit to Edayan, which i just said already.

also that's why people are angry and upset about all this, because the art is traced and doesn't hold up, refer to T. Hawk's hands for example.

seriously, how hard for them to credit Edayan in their blog?

EDIT: and i suggest you read what a fellow visitor by the name "Grinman" wrote in that blog:

"A good illustrator wouldn't have so much problems with human anatomy.
T-Hawks neck in the sprite looks so unnatural, because that's where the head was poorly pasted onto and that's also the reason he's missing his adam's apple btw. The artist is clearly not skilled enough for this job.

They should just hire Edayan, tracing him without giving credit is disrespectful."

that's more for you, see, all they are bitching for is giving credit and better anatomy (something other than the traced faces).

Xtyle

though they can darken the area outside of the 4:3, or put a highlight on that 4:3 border.
Not the best solutions though:)

Sapiens

McDragon said:
A very interesting comment on the blog caught my attention, here:

The person doing the new Sprites is a tracer and nothing more.

The following statement:

"he looked like a giant troll. That’s why the head was moved up and made a little smaller."

Is a certainly misleading. It suggests the head was redrawn from scratch.

Infact the head was probably altered because it seems it was more convenient the guy who's doing those terrible new sprites to TRACE the portrait of T-Hawk from an artwork for Street Fighter 2 - Turbo Revival (GBA).

The artwork was drawn by Capcom's Edayan.

Why not mention this?

If all you do is what seems to be TRACING Edayan's art why not hire HIM to do the job?

If the persons involved with this project are as big streetfighter fans as they pretend to be they should at least give credit to the original capcom artists when they trace their stuff.

The whole matter is very disrespectful towards the original creators of the streetfighter series.

If you guys TRACE over exsisting artworks at least mention which ones you are tracing and give them credit in your blog updates.

I'm still looking forward to this project but hope you will change the artist who is in charge of the sprites.

pictures for reference:

5y2l3rb.jpg

6biy4gh.gif

That's fcukin blatant. I thought the head looked stupid and out of place and now I know why. Disgusting (like all the other art so far) . I knew there were more reasons to hate this project. Someone pull the plug on it already.

Orobi

T-Hawk is ugly than before! Ok, is just A SINGLE FRAME, but I'm starting to think SSF2T doesn't need a remake like this... Let it rest in peace!
Maybe Capcom should make a remix of the original Street Fighter (the first one).

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
McDragon said:

Just wanted to point out Edayan is female, which makes her all the more awesome. :D

Too bad she left Capcom.

Vrolokus

Banned
Jesus, this thread has really become a pit. I can't believe how people are going after this game like it hasn't sent their moms child support in 15 years.

I'm excited about this, and find the constant picking on the art tired and petty. Thank god Capcom is apparently making the game more for people like me and less for people like the complainers.

Jirotrom

Sapiens said:
That's fcukin blatant. I thought the head looked stupid and out of place and now I know why. Disgusting (like all the other art so far) . I knew there were more reasons to hate this project. Someone pull the plug on it already.
just don't buy it.

Hunahan

Banned
McDragon said:
Yes, they can do things right, when they credit the original artist they traced from, who in this case, is Edayan.

you see, people are fine with it resembling Capcom's art, that's what we all want, but what we also want, is them mentioning and giving credit to Edayan, which i just said already.

also that's why people are angry and upset about all this, because the art is traced and doesn't hold up, refer to T. Hawk's hands for example.

seriously, how hard for them to credit Edayan in their blog?

EDIT: and i suggest you read what a fellow visitor by the name "Grinman" wrote in that blog:

"A good illustrator wouldn't have so much problems with human anatomy.
T-Hawks neck in the sprite looks so unnatural, because that's where the head was poorly pasted onto and that's also the reason he's missing his adam's apple btw. The artist is clearly not skilled enough for this job.

They should just hire Edayan, tracing him without giving credit is disrespectful."

that's more for you, see, all they are bitching for is giving credit and better anatomy (something other than the traced faces).

I really don't want to get wrapped up in a back and forth here, but I just have to say that this seems like a pretty ridiculous distinction to me considering the project. People are accusing them of tracing? Maybe everyone should take a refresher course on what exactly this project is all about.

They've been "tracing" pretty much everything so far. Why is this so different? My lord, they "traced" Sagat's pose for the high kick too! Let's get 'em!

I mean, really...is this accusation a joke?

548499197_cd28774a90_o.jpg

^Yes, they are tracing.

Besides, it's not like this connection is some uber-secret discovery. I really don't think they were trying to "pull one over' on anyone. Hell, that same exact art was already posted >>right in this very thread.

But you know, feel free to continue this witch hunt. Maybe if we run Udon out of town and convince Capcom this whole project was a bad idea, they'll leave Street Fighter dead forever and you all can be happy that you've successfully killed off a franchise you proportedly like.

Awesome.

I mean, for shame! They made Street Fighter look like official Street Fighter art. Why Capcom should sue for copyright infringement against itself over this.

Christopher

This thing could be the exactly same artist from the first series making this artwork and people would STILL bitch, keep bitching, no one cares.

I truly can't wait to see it in motion, and hopefully we get more "HD remix" projects

FightyF

Banned
666066838_aa181cf259.jpg

I was wondering why his new head pose was so unnatural. I thought it was odd design choice, that resulted in an ugly pose. But it looks now that it was done because they felt like tracing?

The original pose conveys a lot more emotion...stick with it.

FLEABttn

Banned
Fight for Freeform said:
But it looks now that it was done because they felt like tracing?

It's not traced. A lot of the features of the face do not match in both pictures.

BTW I'm glad Capcom doesn't have a console; I can only imagine how you Capcom fans who claim inane shit like this would shit in console threads,

FightyF

Banned
FLEABttn said:
It's not traced. A lot of the features of the face do not match in both pictures.

6biy4gh.gif

Could you point out which features don't match?

Secondly, what I'm concerned about is the awkwardness of the pose...which means that the most relevant issue is the fact that the outline is the same. That he's looking with his chin up, rather than his chin down.

SCReuter

McDragon said:
My God, rather than tracing over the original Capcom sprite, they decided to trace over an official piece of Capcom artwork.

Quick, someone hand me a pitchfork, Capcom's ripping off of Capcom!

FFChris

FLEABttn said:
The ears, nose, upper lip, left eyebrow, the shape of the eye.

Come on, it looks almost exactly the same. A little rubbing out here and there, and that's what you get.

Vrolokus

Banned
Capcom deviates from the original designs, people storm the castle with torches and pitchforks.

Capcom copies their original art exactly, people storm the castle with torches and pitchforks.

Xtyle

before everyone goes nuts...I don't think people are having problem with them tracing the Capcom artwork...some pople ar annoyed that they aren't crediting the work they trace from..

I myself don't think that's an issue. I mean those are Capcom artwork no matter who drew those originals.

however, just tracing a head or other parts of the body to another drawing can be a bad thing to do simply because of perspecting and other issues.

Pachinko

You know what, if I was a mod at this site I'd perma ban every single one of you annoying niggling complaining bitches. Just shut the **** up and go play your MVS and have sex with your non girlfriends and stay the **** off my internet allready.

Vrolokus said:
Capcom deviates from the original designs, people storm the castle with torches and pitchforks.

Capcom copies their original art exactly, people storm the castle with torches and pitchforks.

:lol Yup.

Top Bottom