• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xmas Nintendo Downloads - December 09 - It's a Christmas miracle; Oregon Trail DSi!

Hiltz said:
I was so disappointed with GunStar Heroes on the virtual console.

The combat while fast-paced, wasn't satisfying and to make matters worse, the game is way too short.

Weird. I thought Gunstar Heroes was too long.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
did i somehow miss the Diatomic impressions or weren't there any?

Ok, I think I've completely cleared Eco Shooter: Plant 530.

In short, it's short, and not worth 1,000 points. It took me approximately 120 minutes to clear the entire game with high-scores on all the levels-- which consists of three stages to choose from and a "Challenge mode," which ups the difficulty level a bit and has you going through the three stages back-to-back-to-back whilst keeping the same amount of health/ammo that you had at the end of the last stage. Clearing the challenge mode unlocks the staff credits and that's it.

There's no story or anything either. The basic gameplay is the same as a standard light-gun title with a twist: your ammo and health are one and the same. Shooting depletes your health so to build up on health/ammo you need to suck the lifeforce of the cans after you've defeated them. The simple tricks that you'll eventually figure out is to keep shooting the enemies in the air so you'll be rewarded with even more lifeforce and when to not shoot during boss battles. There is a combo meter which builds when you don't miss and gives you more points but that's about it. Since there isn't an online leader board nor multi-play, I can't see myself playing this anymore now that it's done. 1,000 points is way too much -- 500 would be more suitable. Pick up the art style games or You, Me, and the Cubes instead if you're looking for a good Nintendo Wiiware title.

GeekyDad

Mockingbird said:
Ok, I think I've completely cleared Eco Shooter: Plant 530.

In short, it's short, and not worth 1,000 points....

Hmm...well, I'll take your word for it that it's not worth 1000 Wii Points. That being said, 120 minutes for $10 worth of entertainment seems reasonable to me...if it truly was entertaining. I know when folks complained about the length of the first LostWinds, I was bemused by that. The game clocked in at roughly four hours for me, I think. I paid, what, $10-15 for it? My whole family has been able to enjoy it. It costs three times that to take them to a movie that's over in half that time.

Of course, Eco Shooter doesn't look like it comes close to offering as much entertainment value. I love on-rails shooters as much as the next guy/gal, but yeah, Nintendo tends to over-value their products. They should take a closer look at what's been going on with iPhone, and then give themselves a shot of reality in the arm.

upandaway

GeekyDad said:
Hmm...well, I'll take your word for it that it's not worth 1000 Wii Points. That being said, 120 minutes for $10 worth of entertainment seems reasonable to me...if it truly was entertaining. I know when folks complained about the length of the first LostWinds, I was bemused by that. The game clocked in at roughly four hours for me, I think. I paid, what, $10-15 for it? My whole family has been able to enjoy it. It costs three times that to take them to a movie that's over in half that time.

Of course, Eco Shooter doesn't look like it comes close to offering as much entertainment value. I love on-rails shooters as much as the next guy/gal, but yeah, Nintendo tends to over-value their products. They should take a closer look at what's been going on with iPhone, and then give themselves a shot of reality in the arm.
In general, everything can be worth $10. What decides it is whether you have something better to waste those $10 on or not.

Capndrake

EU update:

WiiWare:
-The Mystery of Whiterock Castle (RTL Playtainment, 700 points)
-TV Show King 2 (Gameloft, 800 points)

DSiWare:
-A Little Bit of... Magic Made Fun: Mind Probe (Nintendo, 200 points)
-Art Academy: First Semester (Nintendo, 800 points)
-Me and My Dogs: Friends Forever (Gameloft, 800 points)
-Rayman (Ubisoft, 800 points)
-Sparkle Snapshots (Nintendo, 500 points)

Yes, no VC games despite the update being on Christmas day. Good job NoE!

Yes Boss!

Picked up Phalanx off the Japanese marketplace. Looks really good. Loved this game back when I was in high school. Seems to look better than I remember, too. Definitely well worth the $5.

Some updates to Cave Story and La-Mulana I spotted. Cave Story for early 2010.

http://www.nicalis.com/blog/2009/12/24/happy-christmas-eve/

It’s almost Christmas and the end of the year!

We’ve been utterly quiet because updating a blog takes more time away than I’d like from actually making games–what we’re supposed to be doing. We’ll have some updates post-release with Amaya-san discussing the game. For now I want to bring everyone up to speed on the finished product:

- Three save files
- New graphics/music
- Classic Controller support (play this way)
- Original graphics/music
- 60 frames per second vs the PC version’s 50
- Three game modes (easy, normal and hard)

In Easy Mode, Mister Traveler sustains half damage when hit. It’s still a pretty decent challenge. Also, he’ll be in ひよっこ/yellow Mister Traveler attire for Easy–you can probably spot him in the background.

Normal is normal–the same game you’ve come to know and love.

Hard Mode is for all the hardcore fans. You have to make it through most of the game with 3HP and no missiles; Mister Traveler looks very unique in this mode with blonde hair and a blue outfit (he’s on the left side). We were happy to include Hard Mode for release since we originally planned it as…

- DLC, we have a lot planned for this AND we’re taking possible requests

- Translated script with the blessing and support of Amaya-san

- A few changes that we don’t want to spoil, but true fans will notice

I know that some of you might be disappointed that you didn’t get Cave Story in time for Christmas, but it’ll be worth the wait.

Some remixes are in the post, too, if you want to hear them.

----

And a new Play Test video is up for La-Mulana!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2chMZYF9ajg

Nessus

TheUnknownForce said:

Thanks for the heads up, I hadn't heard about this game but it's now on my list of upcoming Wii Ware games I want.

Dear god I love this 2D renaissance on Wii Ware.

Balb

leroidys said:
Why the hell don't they have VC for ds yet? Why does nintendo not want my money? I am baffled.

All I need is Donkey Kong Arcade on the DSi and I'll be very happy.

OnPoint

TheUnknownForce said:

Some remixes are in the post, too, if you want to hear them.

----

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2chMZYF9ajg

TheUnknownForce said:

TheUnknownForce said:

TheUnknownForce said:
Cave Story for early 2010.

... god damn it.

Somnid

Japan's VC games for January:

FC:
Princess Tomato in Salad Kingdom (Hudson)

SFC:
Kirby no Kirakira Kizzu (Kirby's Super Star Stacker) (Nintendo)

N64:
Ogre Battle 64 (Square-Enix)

MSX:
Salamander (Konami)
Parodius (Konami)

For the Week of 1/6:

Wiiware:

Boku wa Pura Rail Untenshi: shinkansen & Jyoukikikansha hen (Takara Tomy, 1000pts)

DSiWare:

GG Series: Dark Spirits (Genterprise, 200pts)
Artist ni Narou: Minna no Nurie Neko hen (ERTAIN, 500pts)

m.i.s.

Banned
Capndrake said:
Yes, no VC games despite the update being on Christmas day. Good job NoE!

A bigger bunch of numptys you could not hope to meet. Get Zombies for h/w but nothing for Xmas day!

Wow, no WiiWare/VC update at all for Australia. We've had plenty of single-game weeks, but I think this is the first time there's actually been nothing. :lol

m.i.s.

Banned
Just amazing isn`t it? Here we are on Xmas day: shops are closed, there are no postal deliveries, families are together and almost everyone is off work and many will be switching on the Wii. What does NoE do with this captive market? Nothing - at least in respect of VC.

Note to NoE: I`m typing this on the Interrnet Channel and not buying anything on VC.

Somnid

Culex said:
So if Ogre Battle 64 is slated for Japan's VC in January, what exactly does this mean for the US?

Probably within a span of about 2 weeks before or after Japan. N64 games have much closer global releases than games for other systems on VC, Smash Bros excluded (when N64 went on hiatus).

I really hop Ogre Battle signifies a resurgence of N64's VC presence.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
So why didn't anyone tell me that the sound in Rayman DSiWare was all fucked up? :(

I'm not talking about the volume by the way, but a couple of things are off or missing:
-no voiced opening (though that one was to be expected)
-lower-pitched sound effects and voices (maybe to make Rayman sound more machoor, haha)
-no victory tune
-no death tune

I don't know about you, but I wouldn't be pleased if I got a Super Mario Bros. port without an end-level tune or death tune.

Also, they made the game easier than it originally was by adding more HP, making 1UPs easier to get, and keeping the bosses' HPs at the same level when you die (say, if you bring a boss down to 3HP and die, you restart immediately, and the boss still has only 3HP left). Since Rayman was a damn hard game, I'm not sure whether I dislike those changes or not, but they're noteworthy regardless for those interested in buying it. Once again, gaming journalism failed to acknowledge this, saying it was a perfect port. It's not: it's pretty decent (graphics, animation, framerate and music are perfect), but some things are different, and others are inferior.

BooJoh

Somnid said:

FC:
Is it pointless to hope for a US release of this at this point?
It's one of my favorite NES games and I've been wanting to see it on VC, but sorta gave up when Hudson stopped releasing NES stuff.

Somnid

BooJoh said:
Is it pointless to hope for a US release of this at this point?
It's one of my favorite NES games and I've been wanting to see it on VC, but sorta gave up when Hudson stopped releasing NES stuff.

I see no reason why they would not put this out in the US as well.

Somnid said:

FC:

SFC:
Kirby no Kirakira Kizzu (Kirby's Super Star Stacker) (Nintendo)

N64:
Ogre Battle 64 (Square-Enix)

MSX:
Salamander (Konami)
Parodius (Konami)

For the Week of 1/6:

Wiiware:

Boku wa Pura Rail Untenshi: shinkansen & Jyoukikikansha hen (Takara Tomy, 1000pts)

DSiWare:

GG Series: Dark Spirits (Genterprise, 200pts)
Artist ni Narou: Minna no Nurie Neko hen (ERTAIN, 500pts)

Slim pickings, but still some good stuff in there!

d+pad

Somnid said:

MSX:
Parodius (Konami)

Man, if I had a Japanese Wii I'd buy this one in a heartbeat. Very different from every other version of the game and harder (and cheaper) than any other version of the game.

Yes Boss!

d+pad said:
Man, if I had a Japanese Wii I'd buy this one in a heartbeat. Very different from every other version of the game and harder (and cheaper) than any other version of the game.

Since you seem familiar with MSX games would you recommend Knightmare or Gradius 2? Almost bought one of them last night but wasn't sure.

d+pad said:

It's included on the PSP collection, and was actually the very first Parodius game. The graphics were touched up a bit and scrolling was smoothed out though, so if you wanted the pure version, VC would be the way to go.

Yes Boss! said:
Since you seem familiar with MSX games would you recommend Knightmare or Gradius 2? Almost bought one of them last night but wasn't sure.

Why not both? Knightmare is a fun top-down shooter, and Gradius 2 is the one all-original entry in the MSX lineup, which even had a thing or two taken for the '89 Nemesis game for GB. (Gradius 2 MSX was also included in the Salamander collection for PSP.)

Just got Eco Shooter, OMG this game kicks arse! Best light gun shooter on Wii, no joke!

If you're like me and you cannot stand overbloated "console style" light gun games like HOTD Overkill and Umbrella Chronicles, then this is the light gun game for you! It seriously would fit right at home in an arcade :D

d+pad

Yes Boss! said:

I've played Knightmare and enjoyed it well enough, but I haven't played Gradius 2, so I can't say anything about it, sadly.

cartman414 said:
It's included on the PSP collection, and was actually the very first Parodius game. The graphics were touched up a bit and scrolling was smoothed out though, so if you wanted the pure version, VC would be the way to go.

I didn't know that (that it was the first Parodius game)! Sadly, I don't yet have a PSP, so that's not an option for me, either. I plan on getting a Japanese Wii at some point, though, so I'll just wait to pick it up then.

Yes Boss!

cartman414 said:
Why not both? Knightmare is a fun top-down shooter, and Gradius 2 is the one all-original entry in the MSX lineup, which even had a thing or two taken for the '89 Nemesis game for GB. (Gradius 2 MSX was also included in the Salamander collection for PSP.)

Yeah, I only have 800 points in my account now. I do have the Salamander PSP collection and enjoy the bonus Gradius 2 on it but going by youtubes it seems different than the MSX (world scrolls smoothly on the PSP port). I guess it is the same, afterall.

I'll go for Knightmare since that is totally new for me.

Good call. I wonder if any of the multi-cart options (i. e. Nemesis 2 in slot 2 to get the true ending for Salamander) for the MSX games will be possible.

So I've just got a Wii so these tthreads are now relative to me. My first purchase has been Sin & Punishment for 1200 points, which kinda feels like a massive ripoff, but I needed it. Gonna have 800 points left once I redeem my last 100 points from Club Nintendo (daily limit bullshit) and Contra Rebirth is probably the only other thing on the store that catches my eye.

Why is everything WiiWare mostly just 1000 points? Sales I take it are incredibly rare? (unless its Sega/Hudson/etc trying to flush their ROMS faster). Obviously you regular posters in here like WiiWare, but I'm just not feeling it. I thought I'd be on Lost Winds like a snap, but infact I found myself completely ambivalent at the thought of spending 2000 points on it. Why isn't the first part discounted to coax people into the series? Stupid.

So yeah, ultimately disappointed but looking forward to the Nifflas (Knytt etc) game thats coming at some point. Not interested in Cave Story Wii at all since I played it for free like 4 years ago, and a company raving about "DLC! DLC!" before the game isn't even out rubs me up the wrong way.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
SecretBonusPoint said:
Why is everything WiiWare mostly just 1000 points? Sales I take it are incredibly rare? (unless its Sega/Hudson/etc trying to flush their ROMS faster).

Sales do not exist. This Sega sale this Christmas the first time there's ever been a sale on Virtual Console or WiiWare.

1000 points is not surprising though--almost every game on XBLA is 800 MSP ($10), and almost every game on PSN is $9.99. This has become the standard downloadable pricepoint. There's definitely a lot of rip off content on WiiWare because the bottom tier of titles are sort of iPhone game / XNA Indies level and they still tend to be priced at 800-1000 Wii points.

Not that I agree with their reviews (they're generally too high for my liking, and I don't really feel that most of the reviewers can write very well), but http://www.nintendolife.com is pretty much the only site on the internet that reviews WiiWare games with any consistency. You might glean some use from their reviews. At least consider browsing their review section; Nintendo's interface for browsing is pretty shitty so if you want to sort of become aware of some of the less prominent or older content, you've basically gotta use some sort of external service.

In terms of the games I've really enjoyed on WiiWare, you might check out Bonsai Barber. It's a game where you... the premise sounds pretty dumb... cut hair. Every day, you get five clients (who are mostly vegetables) who demand certain haircuts, colours, etc. Each haircut is graded. It's pretty gruellingly hard to get some of the tougher haircuts right, and the fact that the game limits you to 15-20 minutes per day gives it longevity. Very cool.

Yeah I did want to try that out. No demos for hardly anything (Demos they have put up getting taken down at the end of January? :lol) is really annoying. Also S&P's 1200 cost really fucked me up on getting another game now.

If it wasn't for these recent Konami Rebirth games I'd reflect on WiiWare as pretty damn pointless and overpriced. Just as I got some points I decided to catch up on XBL Indie Games for the first time in months and saw like 5 I wanted to get, so currently feeling like I made a mistake :/

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Personally the thing that bothers me the most is the restrictions when buying points. Why can't I buy LESS than 1000 points with my credit card? I can sort of understand that on the Wii, as games are more expensive as a rule, but it's stupid to impose the same restrictions on DSiWare, where the most expensive games cost 800 points. I had 600 points left on my DSiWare account, but had to buy another 1000 points for 10€ because Rayman costs 800 points. It's cringe-worthy for people on a budget like myself.

Yes this is a system that always annoyed the fuck out of me on XBLA, then hopping over to PSN and enjoying the ability to buy what I want in normal human money and now experiencing the same fury with Wii. But XBLA's saving grace was the occasional points giveaway that could be scammed (Coke Zone, you beauty), something which I assume never has/will occur for Wii Points.

The Stars > Points thing is appreciated, but the ratio is kinda fucking insane. A new Wii, Mario Galaxy, Sports Resort and Sports will only net me 500 points?? I'll be lucky if I ever get another 100 points off the thing with my tendancy to buy pre-owned.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
SecretBonusPoint said:
Yes this is a system that always annoyed the fuck out of me on XBLA, then hopping over to PSN and enjoying the ability to buy what I want in normal human money and now experiencing the same fury with Wii. But XBLA's saving grace was the occasional points giveaway that could be scammed (Coke Zone, you beauty), something which I assume never has/will occur for Wii Points.

I didn't know this was the same on XBLA, interesting... And by that I mean "why, God, why?"

The Stars > Points thing is appreciated, but the ratio is kinda fucking insane. A new Wii, Mario Galaxy, Sports Resort and Sports will only net me 500 points?? I'll be lucky if I ever get another 100 points off the thing with my tendancy to buy pre-owned.

You're better off buying pre-owned anyway, you save more money that way. What I don't like about the stars is that they can expire. Not the code you get with your game, fortunately, but the stars you already have on your account. That's why I still have a bunch of games that aren't registered. I don't buy enough games, so registering my points all at once can be risky, since you need tons of star points for them to become useful.

Yoschi

Kilrogg said:
So why didn't anyone tell me that the sound in Rayman DSiWare was all fucked up? :(

I'm not talking about the volume by the way, but a couple of things are off or missing:
-no voiced opening (though that one was to be expected)
-lower-pitched sound effects and voices (maybe to make Rayman sound more machoor, haha)
-no victory tune
-no death tune

I don't know about you, but I wouldn't be pleased if I got a Super Mario Bros. port without an end-level tune or death tune.

Also, they made the game easier than it originally was by adding more HP, making 1UPs easier to get, and keeping the bosses' HPs at the same level when you die (say, if you bring a boss down to 3HP and die, you restart immediately, and the boss still has only 3HP left). Since Rayman was a damn hard game, I'm not sure whether I dislike those changes or not, but they're noteworthy regardless for those interested in buying it. Once again, gaming journalism failed to acknowledge this, saying it was a perfect port. It's not: it's pretty decent (graphics, animation, framerate and music are perfect), but some things are different, and others are inferior.

I find this port highly enjoyable and don't mind those minor changes, i wonder what the current limit for DSiWare games is? I would've preferred if the sound effects weren't as loud though as i like the background music a lot.

Considering the portability and size of the game, this is the best portable port so far (of course not taking into account the emulated psx to psp version). And you get a really good game for just 800 points, totally worth it IMO.

Also, Art Academy is awesome.

MoxManiac

Man, I am an idiot. I intended to get the 3 sonics and shining force using 2000 points with the sale..sorted by publisher and ended up downloading the Master System version of Sonic 2 by mistake :lol Oh shit. I said fuck it, and bought another 1000 points and then downloaded the genny Sonic 2 and Toejam and Earl.

Still makes me mad though. At least MS Sonic 2 is a completely different game.

sfog

Yoschi said:
I find this port highly enjoyable and don't mind those minor changes, i wonder what the current limit for DSiWare games is?

I've heard 20 MB from several places, although the largest current games (Dragon's Lair, Rayman, Hot & Cold Hidden Object Adventure) max out at 16 MB, since they're all 127 or 128 blocks, and the DSi uses the same 8 blocks = 1 MB sizing as the Wii.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Yoschi said:
I find this port highly enjoyable and don't mind those minor changes, i wonder what the current limit for DSiWare games is? I would've preferred if the sound effects weren't as loud though as i like the background music a lot.

Considering the portability and size of the game, this is the best portable port so far (of course not taking into account the emulated psx to psp version). And you get a really good game for just 800 points, totally worth it IMO.

No doubt the best portable port there is, really close to the original game. It's just that I'll never understand why small details like those can go wrong (especially the lower-pitched sound effects). I'm enjoying the game as well save a few tricky spots (namely a punishingly hard jump in the music world, fortunately surrounded by two checkpoints, one before, one after). I recommend it, 800 points is a good price for it.

Top Bottom