• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

robox

protonion said:
The ghosts in Pac-Man have unique AIs.

Red- It tries to reduce it's distance from you. So it chases you almost directly.
Pink- It chases the tile four spaces in front of pacman (in the direction he faces).So this ghost ambushes you from the front.(it gets in front of you, then you face away from it and you are between the tile it chases and the ghost).
Blue- The tile it chases is the combination of the tile two spaces in front of you and the red's potition. It feels a bit random. The closer you are to the red the more predictable it is.
Orange- If it is far from you (over 8 tiles) it behaves like the red. If it is close it heads for the lower left corner.

and to achieve this ai in 1980, they all run the same path-finding routine, just with the different targets.

y'all should just read this gama sutra article, it's a goldmine of pac-man info http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/3938/the_pacman_dossier.php

OMG Aero

Not sure if it is mind blowing but here's a fun fact, the names of the Lokomo in Zelda: Spirit Tracks are all based around trains:
Anjean -> Engine
Carben -> Carbon -> Coal
Embrose -> Ember
Gage -> Gauge
Rael -> Rail
Steem -> Steam

Haunted

OMG Aero said:
Not sure if it is mind blowing but here's a fun fact, the names of the Lokomo in Zelda: Spirit Tracks are all based around trains:
Anjean -> Engine
Carben -> Carbon -> Coal
Embrose -> Ember
Gage -> Gauge
Rael -> Rail
Steem -> Steam
I actually think it's impossible to overlook that, since pretty much all of them sound forced.

I like how that presents the translators with a bit of a problem since they have to rename every single one to keep with the train puns, though (at least they did it for the German version). :lol

sphinx

the piano man
OMG Aero said:
Anjean -> Engine
Carben -> Carbon -> Coal
Embrose -> Ember
Gage -> Gauge
Rael -> Rail
Steem -> Steam

having played and finishing the game days ago, I didn't notice this. Interesting!

Jezan

OMG Aero said:
Anjean -> Engine
Carben -> Carbon -> Coal
Embrose -> Ember
Gage -> Gauge
Rael -> Rail
Steem -> Steam

And Lokomo is like the short version of "Locomotora" which means train in spanish.

OMG Aero said:
Anjean -> Engine
Carben -> Carbon -> Coal
Embrose -> Ember
Gage -> Gauge
Rael -> Rail
Steem -> Steam

You forgot:

Byrne -> Burn
Cole -> Coal

Jezan said:
And Lokomo is like the short version of "Locomotora" which means train in spanish.

Or Locomotive.

jaxword

This may have been mentioned, but in the spirit of naming info:

Some rare Final Fantasy name details.

Some people think Tifa is short for Tifaret, which would fit with the Sephiroth Kabbalah aspect. But the interviewers recently said...it's short for Tiffany.

People know Terra's original name was Tina, and people think Tina was too boring a Western name.
However, Celes on its own means nothing as well. But La Celestina is one of the most acclaimed Spanish novels in history. Given the other European literature influences on FF6, the Tina name makes much more sense.

And then there's Penalo, whose name is obviously another case of Tifa-shortening...

sn00zer

On the back of the Timesplitters 2 box there is pictures from earlier versions of the game, including a gun that is not in the final version and a different weapon model
517864_50943_back.jpg

The weapons in question is the one being held by the player and the one used by the bot in the top image

Kyzer

Banned
In the Pokemon games, the trainers and even Gym leaders are so weak because they have trouble raising their Pokemon. This is because:

1)They can't see levels. The only reason that you do is because of your Pokedex.

2)Something they mention all the time in the games, but that no one takes at face value, but should, is that you always play the role of a very special trainer who has a "knack" for Pokemon. It is because you bond so well with your Pokemon (and because you're a big cheater for using a Pokedex), that your Pokemon grow so rapidly.

This also explains the weird non-constants of Pokemon evolution. The levels that Pokemon evolve, as we know them, are actually not universal in the Pokemon world. They are merely the standard for YOUR trainer, and since in all the games you play as this super guy who's amazing at raising Pokemon, they're always the same.

These things combined allow you an advantage which leads to, in a matter of less than a year, you becoming the strongest trainer in the entire world. (Also thanks in no small part to your cruel ways in which ALL YOU DO is make your Pokemon battle, while even adults who have had their Pokemon since they were children in the games are fairly weak.)

This is also why Red and Blue are the strongest canon trainers in the Pokemon universe. Because they were the first ones with a Pokedex.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
TheShampion said:
I`m leaning towards nose. No way they would make the tooth that crooked.

Right?
Assuming they showed up in the cartoon at some point, wouldn't somebody who watched that be able to answer this question?

::edit::
Checked youtube, it's a nose.

Still can't be unseen, though. :lol

ElFly

Kyzer said:
In the Pokemon games, the trainers and even Gym leaders are so weak because they have trouble raising their Pokemon. This is because:

1)They can't see levels. The only reason that you do is because of your Pokedex.

2)Something they mention all the time in the games, but that no one takes at face value, but should, is that you always play the role of a very special trainer who has a "knack" for Pokemon. It is because you bond so well with your Pokemon (and because you're a big cheater for using a Pokedex), that your Pokemon grow so rapidly.

This also explains the weird non-constants of Pokemon evolution. The levels that Pokemon evolve, as we know them, are actually not universal in the Pokemon world. They are merely the standard for YOUR trainer, and since in all the games you play as this super guy who's amazing at raising Pokemon, they're always the same.

These things combined allow you an advantage which leads to, in a matter of less than a year, you becoming the strongest trainer in the entire world. (Also thanks in no small part to your cruel ways in which ALL YOU DO is make your Pokemon battle, while even adults who have had their Pokemon since they were children in the games are fairly weak.)

This is also why Red and Blue are the strongest canon trainers in the Pokemon universe. Because they were the first ones with a Pokedex.

It doesn't help that nobody in the pokeworld bothers to raise six different pokemon. Even a lot of the Elite 4 have 5 pokemon teams. If someone has six pokemon, it's always six magikarp or something.

They must always be complaining against that cheating champion with his/her six pokemon team.

Kyzer

Banned
ElFly said:
It doesn't help that nobody in the pokeworld bothers to raise six different pokemon. Even a lot of the Elite 4 have 5 pokemon teams. If someone has six pokemon, it's always six magikarp or something.

They must always be complaining against that cheating champion with his/her six pokemon team.

Well imagine raising a single magikarp when you can't even tell what level your opponent is. Not to mention most people start off with Rattattas and Pidgeys, not Charmanders and Squirtles like your blessed trainer.

Now imagine raising SIX weak ass pokemon. That's a lifetime of dedication on their part.

OMG Aero

That Diglett thing is the complete opposite to me. As soon as I first saw Diglett I thought the red thing was his mouth, it destroyed my brain when I found out it was his nose.

Kyzer

Banned
Pikelet said:
inventing unfounded canon to fit around arbitrary game mechanics does not count as a mind-blowing 'fact' imo

Unfounded?

In the anime and manga, the only mentions of "level" I ever saw were obtained by the Pokedex.

In the games, countless dialogue situations let you know how special your(SPECIFICALLY YOUR) ability to bond with Pokemon is. And why else would only like 3 people in the world have a Dragonite? Especially when you can just fish at the safari zone for only 500pokemoneyz.

Your mom is unfounded.

ElFly

Kyzer said:
Well imagine raising a single magikarp when you can't even tell what level your opponent is. Not to mention most people start off with Rattattas and Pidgeys, not Charmanders and Squirtles like your blessed trainer.

Now imagine raising SIX weak ass pokemon. That's a lifetime of dedication on their part.

It'd actually be easier for them if they tried to raise six different pokemon.

Most trainers just decide that one pokemon/type is the absolute best and concentrate on that. See: gym leaders / elite 4 who only have one type of poke, and most of the people you fight on the world.

They handicap themselves. The only exceptions go on to become champions (except maybe Lance, who only added a 6th pokemon, to his team THEN became the champ).

Kyzer

Banned
ElFly said:
It'd actually be easier for them if they tried to raise six different pokemon.

Most trainers just decide that one pokemon/type is the absolute best and concentrate on that. See: gym leaders / elite 4 who only have one type of poke, and most of the people you fight on the world.

They handicap themselves. The only exceptions go on to become champions (except maybe Lance, who only added a 6th pokemon, to his team THEN became the champ).

Yeah that's true as hell.

Except that MAYBE Gym Leaders and Elite 4 are restricted by law, or whatever they follow, to only use one type. MAYBE.

Not sure. Maybe they're just dumb too. It would make sense. Since they never switch out.

ElFly

Kyzer said:
Yeah that's true as hell.

Except that MAYBE Gym Leaders and Elite 4 are restricted by law, or whatever they follow, to only use one type. MAYBE.

Not sure. Maybe they're just dumb too. It would make sense. Since they never switch out.

I've thought way too hard about this, and my best explanation is economic pressures.

Pokemon are tools, friends, workers, transportation. Specialization is useful because it allows people to get a good job in a particular field. You see how the ground gym leader in diamond works in a mine. There are probably more examples you don't see as you are only a kid. Each gym probably has the function of a technical school where you go to learn a trade, in this case, using pokemon of a given type. You go there to train, and then get a job in an electric plant, become a psychic, a miner, a construction worker, etc.

So the elite 4 probably have some sweet deals on the side working as consultants and shit. Except, again, for Lance, because what economic use there is for dragons?

bjork

Kyzer said:

You can see your pokemon's level before you ever get a Pokedex. Your initial pokemon is always level 5, and in your first battle (before you get the dex) you can see your level and your opponent's.

And that's in all generations of Pokemon games afaik. So...

Gagaman

Someone find a image of a 3D model of Diglett from Pokemon Stadium/Snap/smash bros(?) from a slight angle to prove this wrong/right!

MNC

Gagaman said:
Someone find a image of a 3D model of Diglett from Pokemon Stadium/Snap/smash bros(?) from a slight angle to prove this wrong/right!
Someone click on the link that was posted already!

:p

Just noticed this today: the England theme in Super Dodge Ball (NES) is a mix of two Beatles songs, Get Back and A Hard Day's Night. I was playing today and I kept wondering why the song(s) sounded so familiar!!

Captain Smoker said:
o5q5xe.jpg

Can't be unseen anymore, fuck. >_>
How do you not see the mouth from day one? this thread baffles me sometimes.

edit, I fail at life and am the one who should be mocked and people baffled by.

nose confirmed.

It's a nose, guys. It only looks like a "mouth and tooth" because that piece of art uses a more simplified shading.

552768-050___diglett_super.png

sw_85_diglett.jpg

diglett.jpg

Nose.

elrechazao said:

oops

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
elrechazao said:

nose confirmed.
:lol

elrechazao said:

nose confirmed.

Because it looks like a shiny nose. I've been wrong all these years... I might just shed a tear.

Top Bottom