• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soulcalibur IV Official Thread

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Mamesj said:
this game has the weirdest online community.

people with like 1500 matches under their belts, but only spam A or B and don't block, that I can handily destroy with very basic knowledge of the game :lol I thought these people would be gone by now, as there were a lot of them at launch, but nope, they totally stuck around!
The community in general doesn't play a lot of ranked. www.8wayrun.com has been hosting PSN and XBL tournaments that tend to get you much better competition than random ranked goofiness.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
momolicious said:
What happened with this game? The game got good reviews all around and it looks like nobody is playing it anymore.
Street Fighter IV happened.

karasu

I still play daily. SFIV has been put to the back burner because I'm sick of fucking shotos who back away to throw hadokens for the entire match. I'm tired of jumping or holding back. 8 way run or bust.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
momolicious said:
What happened with this game? The game got good reviews all around and it looks like nobody is playing it anymore.
Depends. There's a national/international tournament being held for it this month in Colorado. (It was supposed to be a national tournament, but then French players wanted in as did at least one guy from Russia etc. So it will have a strong European influence now, and the French players have historically been really good.)

http://www.nvgaonline.com/SuperCon//news.php

Most of the major players stopped playing online due to the crappy netcode and were on PSN in the first place.

fionel

Freshmaker said:
Most of the major players stopped playing online due to the crappy netcode and were on PSN in the first place.

Perhaps that is the case in US, but there are still dozens of the same players playing online daily in Japan. I know b/c I'm one of them ;) and the netcode is possibly one of the best out there for a fighter. I always get 5 bars with people within Japan and the lag is so minimal it's almost non-existant.

karasu said:
I still play daily.

Really? I don't see you on my PSN anymore.

Freshmaker said:

Yeah, if they fixed the netcode, this game would have lived. I love SC4 more than any other fighter, but have stopped playing because the netcode is not nearly as good as SF4's. Now I just simply don't play either. :(

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
SC4 reignited the flames of fighting games for me. Now it's all about SF and soon, BB. I want to play some SC4 with my new stick though... would be cool. Mitsurugi 4ever bitches!!!

Xav

K2Valor said:
Street Fighter IV happened.
Yeah yeah we get the point Street Fighter made it's grand return but truth is it's not the 90's anymore and people play other fighting games too. I don't know about you guys but so long as I find someone with a connection of 4 or higher I get some very playable matches. Loads of crappy players who spam A and B attacks, I get the feeling very few people even know how to play SoulCalibur.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
fionel said:
Perhaps that is the case in US, but there are still dozens of the same players playing online daily in Japan. I know b/c I'm one of them ;) and the netcode is possibly one of the best out there for a fighter. I always get 5 bars with people within Japan and the lag is so minimal it's almost non-existant.
That's just 'cause Japan has freakishly overdeveloped internet connections in general, and you're probably fairly close to the other players. Compared to VF5 where I can play someone from Japan or Russia without sacrificing much, playing someone from Japan in SC is pure pain. SC's net code is really inefficient.

With SC IV, even on a good connection, you can get away with stuff online that you cannot offline. (This holds true playing someone less than 50 miles away on a 5 bar connection.)

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
This game would have been great if they had put a little less time into boob physics and a little more time into character balance.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
So what's going on with this game? No more dlc? Not that I bought any, but I'm guessing Namco is working on SC5 or something.

What I'd like to see in a sequel is more online support, heck, maybe even a hub of sorts where you can actually walk around with your character, team up with people, do some quests, get some money, and the game should be constantly updated with new weapons/armors, etc. A sort of MMO-side to the game would be cool I think.

Ether_Snake said:
So what's going on with this game? No more dlc? Not that I bought any, but I'm guessing Namco is working on SC5 or something.

What I'd like to see in a sequel is more online support, heck, maybe even a hub of sorts where you can actually walk around with your character, team up with people, do some quests, get some money, and the game should be constantly updated with new weapons/armors, etc. A sort of MMO-side to the game would be cool I think.

I just wish they'd fix the fucking netcode. This game blows flying chimps online.

tyagi

Xav said:
I get the feeling very few people even know how to play SoulCalibur.

Being quite new to fighting games, I've picked up a bunch over the past few months and modded my old Dreamcast stick to work with PS3 and PC.

Soul Calibur IV seems quite a different playing style than the 2D fighters and I'd be interested in "learning how to play" it. Can anyone recommend any good resources for a starter in SCIV? I'm not just on about combo lists and specials, but playing strategies and good SCIV communities.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
tyagi said:
Being quite new to fighting games, I've picked up a bunch over the past few months and modded my old Dreamcast stick to work with PS3 and PC.

Soul Calibur IV seems quite a different playing style than the 2D fighters and I'd be interested in "learning how to play" it. Can anyone recommend any good resources for a starter in SCIV? I'm not just on about combo lists and specials, but playing strategies and good SCIV communities.
www.8wayrun.com is pretty much it as far as resource site + community goes. There's also www.caliburforum.com but it's pretty dead lately.

Stackboy

I've bought the game twice now and started playing again recently, after acquiring a copy for PS3, since I came across a cheap hori arcade stick for the system.

fionel

I still play this game almost daily however since I live in Japan I rarely play with anyone overseas (4 bars or below is 99% of the time unplayable and I get hate mails for kicking such ppl lol). Would love to play any gaffers in Japan though. PSN is crauss.

daemonic

Banned
Just picked it up and playing the series for the first time. Trying the Tower of Lost Souls now but can't seem to unlock any floors after 17 even after clearing the boss for that stage. Do I need to get all chests before moving up further?

edit: just got it, goddamn this game is tough

geeko

Me and my buddies usually play a couple rounds on the weekend. I regularly kick their ass cause no matter how much they play they still refuse to block and counter thus making easy targets.

<3 Taki

fionel

I would play you but we're gonna get laggy games since I live in Japan, and since you think Ivy is broken I doubt you'd wanna play me ;p

Only broken character in this game is Hilde. What other game allows a character to capitalize on 1 mistake of your opponent and ring him out and win the round?

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
WanderingWind said:
Anybody got a good video that shows why Hilde is so broken?

Her "doom combo" (which starts from a charge move that's safe on block) rings out from ridiculously long ranges.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xQRSN9WMik

She also has the best side step in the game. Plus, button mapping allows her to retain access to A and B when she shouldn't be able to use them (such as for breaking throws) while charging.

Well that sucks. I have no buddies to play this game with here.

I like to play people better than me and learn how to beat them. As soon as I get used to playing someone they beat me and I don't have a chance to replay them.

fionel

BlackGoku03 said:
Well that sucks. I have no buddies to play this game with here.

I like to play people better than me and learn how to beat them. As soon as I get used to playing someone they beat me and I don't have a chance to replay them.

Maybe you can try the gamefaqs forum. There still seems to be quite a few people hanging out there.

So does anybody know what the online community for this game is like?

I've always been a VF guy, so I've obviously been playing VF5 as my go-to fighting game for the last few years (with a few bursts of SSF4 thrown in), but lately I had a sudden urge to see how my Taki and Zasalamel skills were holding up.

But if the only people online are die-hard fans out of Japan, then I may as well just put on survival mode on hard difficulty.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
The Antitype said:

I've always been a VF guy, so I've obviously been playing VF5 as my go-to fighting game for the last few years (with a few bursts of SSF4 thrown in), but lately I had a sudden urge to see how my Taki and Zasalamel skills were holding up.

But if the only people online are die-hard fans out of Japan, then I may as well just put on survival mode on hard difficulty.
I still play once and a while. (A RROD has me off Live for a while tho. Stuck with PSN.)

The best place to find matches with good players is www.8wayrun.com

There is still an active community there believe it or not.

Finaika said:
They are.
I hope it bucks the trend of each one being worse than the last. I love my SC and SCII, but that series has been on the decline :(

I heard they hired one of the top SCII players as one of the battle directors for SCV. I think that bodes well.

Dead Man

_dementia said:
I hope it bucks the trend of each one being worse than the last. I love my SC and SCII, but that series has been on the decline :(

I heard they hired one of the top SCII players as one of the battle directors for SCV. I think that bodes well.
SE and SC3 have been my favourites. I loved that SC3 tried to bring some other genres in with the fighting game to add some extra depth (or breadth really). It was flawed, sure, but it could be great if they work on it.

The Antitype said:

I randomly fired the game up earlier in the week around 9:00 PM EST and couldn't find a ranked standard match. There were only 1 or 2 lobbies up in unranked matches.

Top Bottom