• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 10 Game Mode, what it does, how it works

SliChillax

Then look again.

People that don't see the stutter. I don't know what to say. I avoid FH3 because the demo had stutter in my pc and that demo had LESS stutters than this video. Sigh.

I thought the demo ran worse because they don't update that as often as the main game?

Gestault

Then look again.

People that don't see the stutter. I don't know what to say. I avoid FH3 because the demo had stutter in my pc and that demo had LESS stutters than this video. Sigh.

I don't know how to respond to this. If your demo had less stutter than this video, and this video doesn't have stutter by basically every account but yours, you're either confused about a term or seeing something no one else can.

Head.spawn

I don't believe that the issues this is designed to prevent actually occur on decently configured PCs.

Then again, not every PC has a decent software setup so it might help in those cases.

I believe the people it'll help the most will be those people who buy a computer from Best Buy, full of bloated software and manufacture specific preloaded apps (ROG), with Norton preinstalled to bog it down.

dmix90

http://www.techradar.com/news/windows-10-game-mode-6-of-your-burning-questions-answered

In brief:
- More GPU time allocated to game process
- Processor affinity style behaviour implemented, so that game has dedicated cores and also so that background tasks are on dedicated non-game cores.
This actually sounds very promising. Especially CPU cores stuff. I do not believe that GPU is not used for 100% without this game mode though. If it's not then this stuff should have been done a long time ago :/
I mean DWM is probably using a bit of GPU memory but then we have exclusive fullscreen mode( not available for UWP ) which should take care of that already. And windows store games are all borderless windowed by design so GPU is still going to be used to render desktop and notifications.

Yeah it is really annoying especially when setting up a PC for someone else.

"do you have an xbox live account?"

"no, why?"

"sigh... give me a second."
----
Since this is apparently tied to the xbox app, does that mean you need an xbox live account to access it?
That is rather silly. There should be a liveless / non-logged version of the functionality if so.
In spite of that, I will still give it a try and test to see if it gives my PC any help in CPU-limited scenarios. I highly doubt it will though.

Looks like that option is being put in the control panel (seen in the vid), so at least it should avoid requiring an account from now on.

MaLDo

00:15 isn't a stutter, the car hits a small dip.
00:31 Car braking... no stutter.
01:33 Car braking... again not a stutter.

Maybe the camera of Foriza Horizon 3 is throwing you off as it reacts to braking and altering terrain... because those aren't stutters in frame rate.

The fuck?

There are three obvious stutters in this vídeo. I posted the moment of every one. If you don't see them, great for you. You have worse vision and then you can enjoy more games than me.

Those framerate problems are not camera effects. You're totally wrong or spinning the facts.

dLMN8R

The fuck?

There are three obvious stutters in this vídeo. I posted the moment of every one. If you don't see them, great for you. You have worse vision and then you can enjoy more games than me.

Those framerate problems are not camera effects. You're totally wrong or spinning the facts.

Maybe you should step back and consider that the problem is with YouTube, and not the game or the video that Microsoft recorded?

It's really not hard to understand here. No one is lying to you. People - including me - are not observing the same stutters that you are.

YouTube automatically re-renders videos in countless different formats for different devices and different browsers which support different things. Maybe one of them got screwed up?

I personally am also not seeing any stutters using Chrome on Windows 10.

The most amazing thing is there is stuttering in the video.

Really, are they clowns?

Yeah, I watched the video once and thought there was stuttering when the warthog falls off the cliff and the camera pans across the bottom of the cliff as the car turns around and drives off. I came here to post about it but then...

I read this post,

Maybe you should step back and consider that the problem is with YouTube, and not the game or the video that Microsoft recorded?

It's really not hard to understand here. No one is lying to you. People - including me - are not observing the same stutters that you are.

YouTube automatically re-renders videos in countless different formats for different devices and different browsers which support different things. Maybe one of them got screwed up?

and went back and watched the vid again and what do you know, the stuttering wasn't in the same place. I then rewound and played the same spot over and over again and sometimes it stuttered and sometimes it didn't at all. It's definitely youtube that is causing the stuttering here.

lazerfox

Hope this helps with the random stuttering in FH3. I'm tired of setting my CPU affinity every time I want to play.

I can't see any stuttering in the video using Chrome. Looks like Youtube has some problems in different browsers.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
This is true, and very silly.

GameDVR being opt-out rather than opt-in is patently ridiculous.
Hmm, I've started a game under Windows 10 just now, pressed Win+G, and the Game recording was disabled by default. I've never touched this option before, so maybe they changed the default to disabled in some of the windows updates?

MaLDo

Could be. In my case stutters are always in the same point. Only three people in the thread can see them and in the same moments so maybe something is fucked in the conversion. Will download the video from YouTube and try it. Interesting if YouTube can add in this FH3 video the exact same problem than the game has.

LordCiego

Well good news it being part of the OS an not only lynked to the Windows Store. Now lets wait for benchmarks to see how it works.

xrnzaaas

I prefer to be a pesimist about this and can't wait for the news of Game Mode treating your non-MS antivirus software or GeForce Experience like apps that steal your resources.

dr_rus

The biggest new in this video is that they are moving gaming features control to Settings app meaning that it will be a lot easier to turn that fucking pointless DVR off.

Hope this helps with the random stuttering in FH3. I'm tired of setting my CPU affinity every time I want to play.

Well, that's the funniest part really - as someone has said already it looks like with Game Mode they are trying to fix UWP issues which aren't even present in Win32.

derFeef

I prefer to be a pesimist about this and can't wait for the news of Game Mode treating your non-MS antivirus software or GeForce Experience like apps that steal your resources.

It seems like it is not messing with software itself, rather CPU affinity and priority.

Seems like this will be great for people buying brand-PCs with all kinds of shovelware installed. Not so much for computer-savvy people that already knows how to stop or uninstall most of the crap stealing resources.

Simply put (according to the Anandtech Article) Game Mode comes down to the following:
automatically for Games from the Windows Store) are run at a higher priority compared not only to system processes but also to other user processes (like updaters which not only Windows but also GeForce Experience, Keyboard Software, etc. tend to run). So when both the game and another application have work ready for the CPU it's more likely that the game will get it (while so far all user processes had the same priority and that meant that the OS would try to be as fair as possible (which could mean that the updater would run instead of the game).

- Threads belonging to Games will have CPU affinity. This means that even if context switching occurs the game threads will resume on the same core, meaning that it will in all likelihood find most of the required data still in the cache. If it were not for the affinity setting it might resume on another core and first have to go to a higher level cache or the main memory (which takes longer).

So in that regard I can understand how game mode could help mitigate slowdowns in both UWP and Win32 games. It obviously depends on how taxed your system is anyway and how much other software is running. If the game you use only uses 4 cores and you have a 6 core machine this likely won't have much if any impact at all.

Actually this highlights a topic of UWP vs Win 32 Apps (not games) where UWP is quite an improvement. Win32 Applications run or they don't. If it's badly written it can tax your CPU at basically any time it wants to. This isn't true of UWP Apps. When they get sent to the background they get limited time to finish what they're doing before the OS freezes them completely (or even removes them from memory) - unless they belong to a limited set of categories that can retain some kind of background capability (e.g. Music playback).

All in all my take is that as described this has the potential to benefit issues like stuttering due to the system being busy with something else. When it comes to higher framerate absolute numbers however I highly doubt any impact on Win32 games in exclusive mode and likely even in UWP games.

Spider-Vice

Neo Member
Easy solution to this stutter or not issue. Right click, video stats, check for dropped frames. If frames drop, it's a client side issue, i.e. your side.

I hope we get benchmarks soon. Any improvement in minimum framerates or frametimes will be welcome.

Gears has a benchmark tool so it should be easy. I doubt there will be much gain in computers with mid range cards or serviceable gaming rigs from the past with i5s/i7s. Maybe in computers with apus.

Then again gears is already well optimized and they said there are hard drive boosts that might help in areas outside of raw fps performance.

Nabbis

I could just disable a bunch of useless MS shit by editing the registry. No thanks until i see some real numbers for potential benefits.

ghostjoke

Banned
As much as I expect this to be another option to untick in Windows 10 (kudos to putting them all in one section), I'm interested about the results when DF put it through the wringer.

riflen

I hope we get benchmarks soon. Any improvement in minimum framerates or frametimes will be welcome.

There's going to be a problem with measuring this in a quantifiable manner. PCs with a well-maintained software configuration, owned by people who are experienced with games on Windows will likely show no difference.
Messier setups might see a benefit, but simulating this is a challenge. Purposely creating a configuration that's poor for testing purposes isn't going to achieve anything really.

I suppose if the tester takes a newly installed and patched Windows system and game mode shows improvements in that instance, then it's something to take a look into.

Okada

00:15 stutter
00:31 stutter
01:33 stutter

They are showing something to improve performance and use their broken game with the same problems. Go home Microsoft.

I have the game and see stutters on my GTX 1080 and am pretty sensitive to it too.

There are no stutters at those points in that video though.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I don't believe that the issues this is designed to prevent actually occur on decently configured PCs.

Then again, not every PC has a decent software setup so it might help in those cases.

I'd say that, much like XPA, it's designed less for PC gamers and more for Xbox owners who dabble in PC gaming -- there's comfort in knowing you're getting the best possible experience, even if it's practically all a placebo.

Theorry

2-5%? That's basically unnoticeable with naked eye. That's +1-3 fps when you're running 60.

Remember its not done yet.

"The Windows Insider preview build with a functioning Game Mode should be released at some time today (delayed from yesterday). Gamill told Ars that the latest build has even better performance in games."

2-5%? That's basically unnoticeable with naked eye. That's +1-3 fps when you're running 60.

Game Mode focuses on delivering consistent performance rather than boosting it, it tries to solve issues like stuttering that happens because the OS isn't dedicating resources to the game you're currently running.

bee

Lots of people running below 60 fps even 30.
Including me.

at 30fps, 2-5% would be 0.6-1.5fps "boost", that's not every little helps that's an indistinguishable difference plus it only works on the 10 or so games that are released in the uwp format

TBiddy

at 30fps, 2-5% would be 0.6-1.5fps "boost", that's not every little helps that's an indistinguishable difference plus it only works on the 10 or so games that are released in the uwp format

It works on any game. Both UWP and Win32. Seriously. It's right there in the OP.

Top Bottom