• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Echo is the coolest new sci-fi game you’re probably not playing

lcap

Finished the game last friday but decided to wait a bit to write my impressions to let a few things settle on my head.

This was one of the most incredible games I’ve played this year, and, from a game design standpoint, it’s masterfully crafted.

The game starts reeeeeally slowly, there’s a bit of over exposition to the story through dialogue, but it took me more than one hour for the game to ‘actually’ start. Mind you, I consider this a positive, because the introduction to the mechanics is done in a really cool and natural way, and adds a lot to the atmosphere. I won’t spoil it, but the segment that introduces the blackouts is really nicely done.

While the AI can be simple and sometimes ‘dumb’, the intention may be just that, so it gives a sense of predictability to what to expect of their reactions, based on your actions on the previous loop. One of my most memorable moments with the game was when I was trying to lure an Echo to stealth takedown and as I stood close to a door an Echo opened the door and surprised me hitting me in the head with a crystal ball, something I had done exactly on the prior cycle.

One of the things the game must be commended, is that I felt really stressed (in a good way) while playing the game. You must always be aware of your actions, if you run towards an objective, expect the Echoes to be capable to chase you relentlessly, if you are careless and shoot with your gun, expect them to shoot you down mercilessly. This made several ‘missions’ playthroughs different one another, since the game encourages you to take different approaches to situations depending on the room or objective.

Now, when the lights are out, your playstyle has to change completely. You can be reckless, since they won’t echo your actions done on a blackout, but it won’t matter if you try to kill all the Echoes at the time, since they wake up again when the lights come back, so there’s an incredible balance between how reckless or careful you are between ‘cycles’.

In my opinion, this game must not be completed in a single or few bursts, it must be savoured slowly for full appreciation of the gameplay design here. While the gameplay loop is perhaps the same through most of the game, as chapters progress, they introduce new stuff and puzzles, like
a part where you have to force an Echo sit on the throne to open a locked door, or the introduction of the Heavy Echo.

Pros:
  • Game is exceptionally beautiful. I stopped several times in awe with the beauty and grandiose of the palace. While some could argue that the game revolves around the same environment too much, I never felt that it got old, since there’s a nice variety in rooms and the lighting variations change them a bit;
  • The dialogue between En (Rose Leslie) and London (Nick Boulton) is amazingly done and they both deliver a really great performance. Their interactions are very well written and delivered in a very natural way;
  • Absolutely amazing UI, it passes the message (detection meter, energy, etc) in a really simple and effective way;
  • The story is sci-fi done right and, although it starts a bit convoluted (and keeps confusing until after I finished) is really thought provoking and made me think about it for days after I’ve completed.

Cons:

• PS4 Pro performance is a bit spotty. The game seems to target 60fps running with unlocked framerate, but there are several instances on the introduction that it gets really bad. I'm not usually bothered by framerate fluctuations (I prefer playing Hitman with unlocked framerate) but man, this game is in desperate need of a performance patch. The later orb collecting levels, which are quite large, the games judders a lot and I couldn't wait to get done with them. I don't think I'll play the game again with this level of performance, which it's a shame, 'cause I'd really like to replay the levels and pick up the collectibles;
  • The game shows the lack of budget at a few times, like some spotty animations and poor animation blending;

TL;DR: Great game. If you are into sci-fi stealth action puzzler, this game is for you. Although PS4 Pro performance needs fixing.

Arklite

It's a solid first release from Ultra, intriguing set up and alluring presentation. It's also light on variety and often simple on map layouts, but the laser focus on its ideas and themes can double as one of Echo's strengths as the narrative slowly unravels. Big props to the voice over cast and the composer, all who manage to heighten Echo's already impressive aesthetic and production quality.

FiveSide

Banned
Man that main menu is really something. I mean hell is that the GOAT? Just look at it.

I'll check this out, was there a retail release?

Man that main menu is really something. I mean hell is that the GOAT? Just look at it.

Enslaved had a cool menu design, as a holographic display the protagonist is looking at
545272-enslaved-odyssey-to-the-west-playstation-3-screenshot-main.jpg

And the game is digital only atm. PC and PS4

I remember seeing trailers for this quite some time ago and really liking it, but the release totally passed me by. Still looks cool, I'll probably get it down the line when I'm in a sci-fi mood.

I had watched a video on it and the idea that the enemies come back really seemed like it would get on my nerves, I like what I do to be sort of an ender to enemies even though I know how it works with the mimicking feature ... just not sure I'd really like it

Courage

Fuck, I love adaptive AI in stealth games. Been watching some gameplay and it looks incredibly tense. Might pick this up.

pakkit

Banned
About an hour and a half in so far. I thought I'd like the intro more. It has a really great premise and the dialogue is excellent, but they roll out their ideas so incrementally that it's a bit frustrating. The palace being dark (with no HUD to guide), to getting lighter, to seeing its immensity. This section could've been significantly chopped so that we learned about the space and its curiosities alongside the larger horror of the slightly off clones that are trying to eye gouge you.

The collectibles are a bit annoying, too. Would've preferred an immediate reward for each pick up instead of a cumulative end of level text that you may or may not be able to read.

But, it's still got me curious, and I am really enjoying the small hints they feed the player in the beginning.

Also, this is definitely a game for headphones. There's a lot of low end sound frequencies going on that'll probably get lost on speakers.

What the heck? How have I never heard of this game before? This looks like my shit right here! Thanks for bringing it to my attention, will probably buy it tonight and try it out. Could do with a nice sci-fi game right about now.

Dinda

Wow, thanks i might have totally missed this game, even though i think i've seen a trailer sometime ago.
Just bought it, looks like just my type of game. Have to finish a few others before i start though.

HA! Glad to see an ECHO topic on the front page. This game needs to get so much more love than it's getting right now.

I had such a great experience, and was left totally haunted; couldn't stop thinking about it for a few days after the credits rolled. For $25 it's a no-brainer. One of my favorite games of 2017 so far.

1 hour played.

It's pretty cool!

First, the writing, is easily in the top 5-10% of gaming. It's much more comparable to a good scifi novel or film than a videogame (a pity I have to do that comparison, but it's reality).
In a few lines the characters seemed to be full-fledged, with a complex personality and interesting. The premise trapped me almost instantly being so unique and it knows how to handle the scifi trappings perfectly, showing a far away future where they don't even put a reference of where or when they are, because these references lost sense time ago. They just are in a future where it's normal to chat with a 1.000 thousand years old AI ship, or find a planet fully terraformed in white cubes and not be particularly surprised for that. Very Banks or Reynols, as someone said above.

The boot of the palace was captivating, with the lights going out and not knowing what's happening, nor in what direction is the story going. Then the air is created, flowers appear (a planetary level energy surge to create flowers, of course), and then you start to notice some curious dark spots in the ground...

In fact it was almost a pity when the real gameplay starts, as then the dialogue and story presentation are decreased in quantity. I almost wanted a walking simulator!

Gameplay wise, it seems decent enough, and it has an interesting gimmick on it.

The worst, it's HIGHLY REPETITIVE in environments.

Morat

Banned
Got it after being reminded by this thread. Played about an hour so far, and it seems excellent. Really good writing - the dialog between the girl and the ship reminds me of Banks (this is high praise), and the opening has the grandeur and mystery of something like Rama. Really impressed so far

Glass Rebel

I played this until the part where you actually get to play and had to stop it for a while.

One hour in and I think it's pretty dreadful so far. The writing is some over-expository shlock delivered in the flattest way possible. Ygritte was one of my favourite characters in Game of Thrones (when I still used to watch it) and I barely recognized Rose Leslie in this because En is such a non-character. In general, the dialogue has had like three modes so far:
- London being an asshole to En
- En randomly telling En about her past
- In your face allusions to what happened to Foster
It's all really terribly written with stuff like "That was the only chance we had and I am good at chances! I gamble for a living, remember? It's how I stayed alive all these years after living the Gardens." 🙄

The graphics are nice but the repeating environments kinda defeat the purpose. There's a way to show megastructures and make them visually appealing like in BLAME! (which apparently was an inspiration?) but this isn't it. I guess I'm only a quarter through and things might change but it has this obviously recycled vibe to it, probably because of the terrible pacing.

I hope the gameplay portion picks up and the VAs zip it because so far it's been less than enjoyable.

nOoblet16

Also it has the best main menu design of the year

M2gopGi.gif

Functionally it's the worst menu I've seen this year, especially on PC. Because you have to hold the analogue in the direction in order to choose something and that means the moment you select an option and go into that menu you'll change the first thing in that menu immediately, since you are still pushing the analogue to the left.

What this means is that if you push analogue to the left, then select "video settings" the moment you go into that menu you'll immediately change the resolution of the game as this game doesn't wait for confirmation after making any changes in the menu. And that's incredibly annoying..

This is a dope menu, though the random opening and closing of the iris is bugging me. Doesn't seem to have any logic behind it.

It closes the eye everytime you press X, even without selecting anything.
And the iris adjusts the lower you look on a menu.

nOoblet16

Oh man I can't handle the stuttering. I'm running at 80+FPS minimum and I'm still getting these stupid stuttering. The odd thing is, it only happens when I do anything with the right stick, if I just keep running on a straight path it usually doesn't have any stuttering but the moment I do anything with the right stick it's stutter city ever other second.

It ran fine yesterday during the opening, so donno what's going on right now.

nOoblet16

I wish this game wasn't so gameplay heavy and was just about the story because I really like the atmosphere, visuals, music, voice acting and the mystery. The game grabs your attention with great voicework, scenary, and gradually unravels certain things. It's all so fantastic....then the gameplay happens and the game makes you go through these large rooms and do stupid shit like collect 1000 orbs to open a lift while the story takes a backseat.

There is a bit of jank as well. like I see no reason why the screen has to go completely dark with the sound cut off and take control away from you for a split second whenever the server resets, it feels very jarring because of the sheer number of times and the frequency the server resets as it's essentially part of the gameplay. Thing is right before it takes control away from you the environment goes dark but you are still able to control En, it should have been that way without the split second blackout. Have the bodies reset by having them vanish and reappear and add some sort of special effect to make that process look cool instead of just a screen blackout.

Anyways yea, really wish the game didn't have as much gameplay because while it's good it's also tiring and the objectives aren't good.

aaaaa0

Played through the intro and first few levels. The atmosphere and ideas here definitely remind me of some of my favorite science fiction authors (like Banks).

I would really like some lore discussion, like who built the palace and why?

I feel that the repetition of the environments is actually cleverly consistent with the backstory. It almost feels like the Palace is the result of some nano-assemblers run amok, building the same rooms over and over again, with random algorithmic variations, until the entire planet was consumed.

I feel that the repetition of the environments is actually cleverly consistent with the backstory. It almost feels like the Palace is the result of some nano-assemblers run amok, building the same rooms over and over again, with random algorithmic variations, until the entire planet was consumed.
Yeah, that’s one of the reasons why I’m not bothered by the “same room”-ness of the visual design. It feels thematically in line with the world and Echo tech. Why wouldn’t a place with the tech to copy inhabitants (but not completely) also not construct itself through similar yet flawed means?

Man, Echo The Dolphin games keep getting weirder and weirder.

JK, looks pretty cool. Seems like something that might end up in a Humble Monthly at some point though, so I'll hold off for a while.

aaaaa0

Yeah, that’s one of the reasons why I’m not bothered by the “same room”-ness of the visual design. It feels thematically in line with the world and Echo tech. Why wouldn’t a place with the tech to copy inhabitants (but not completely) also not construct itself through similar yet flawed means?

In fact the repetition adds to the creepiness, like no human mind could have designed the palace. An ancient machine intelligence, driven insane by time and entropy, still executing the instructions given to it millennia ago.

Endo Punk

I'm loving the positive impressions, there's a lot of great games on psn that I hardly see reviews or impressions for by reliable sources so I too end up ignoring despite trailers looking cool, Echo is one such game. I will likely buy but still on a Destiny high, gonna wait for a sale.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Can't believe I just now found out about this title. Trailer looks really interesting and I basically love everything I've read so far.

Top Bottom