• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls Online: Morrowind |OT| Why walk when you can ride?

ElfArmy177

ESO has been one of the biggest disappointments in gaming. It feels like a cheap Chinese imitation of elder scrolls.

It's that damn graphic engine they use. Terrible running animations, jumping animations. Some of the ugliest armor and equipment models ever made. No cloaks ever, because the engine can't handle it. No swimming under water, no flying. And the worst UI for an mmo ever made. Everything is on one big list when you look at your bags trying to sort through all the shitty loot you pick up. The loot is so boring and ugly, You can't tell the difference between a lvl 5 noob and a max lvl player wearing the best gear in the game. It all looks the same. A lvl 1 great sword looks identical to a max lvl epic great sword of magical whatever.
And you only get like 5 skill slots that can be active per weapon. Meaning very little skill builds and strategy. Cookie cutter builds.

I've played since closed beta, and every once in a awhile I reinstall to check it out and usually delete it after about an hour.

As a gamer who used to have your jaded ass view of the game without actually playing it I'll tell ya this.

You're very wrong and you're just bitter and pissy because it's not Skyrim 2. Get over it. World of Warcraft didn't play like Warcraft either. Eq2 didn't play like eq1, prey didn't play like prey, resident evil 4 didn't play like resident evil, Aldi cookies are just as good as brand name.

Play more than an hour.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Been about a week since I started up my toon (working on a fairly high DPS, self-healing, magicka-regenning solo Templar build). The game is surprisingly different from what it was when last I played around console launch. I didn't manage to last a weekend before bailing out. I ditched that older character and wound up creating a new one, and am now in the low to mid-30s as far as experience level goes. In many respects, it does feel like you're running through a list of chores. But there's a surprising amount of satisfaction to be had in knocking out lists of activities and that old Skyrim standby of converting black map icons into cleared white ones.

Aside from a daily public dungeon run for the nice rewards they net, I've been playing solo only and don't feel like I've suffered too much from it. I can explore at my own pace. I pick the quests and sub-quests that are most interesting to me at that given moment, and don't feel pressured to keep up with a group while dungeon diving or exploring the many world maps. It's irksome that I've had to leave a few map icons here and there uncleared, if they've proven impossible to solo. Mostly out-of-the-way Daedric Anchor Dolmens and World Boss spawns. Some of those are utterly devoid of other players, so there's no real way of clearing them unless you group up. But I hope to get back to them if I ever manage to find a decent group of like-minded overly-thorough completionists to play with.

The main province maps are way smaller than what you'd expect out of a TES game, but it makes sense, since modern TES games tend to focus on a single province and are able to blow them up into great detail. TESO, by contrast, includes pretty much every province within Tamriel, making for a HUGE world to explore. But as a consequence, the individual provinces were scaled down and are, in turn, populated by way fewer black icons to chase.

I will say, however, that the task of flipping those icons from black (discovered but unexplored) to white (explored and cleared), has been surprisingly satisfying. While there aren't nearly as many as in a game like say, Skyrim; unlike Skyrim, almost every single one has a story element, and one or more quests involved, in the icon-flipping process. Dutifully exploring every icon in Skyrim is a largely thankless job. Doing the same in TESO rewards with tons of story (most not terribly great, admittedly), but all somehow contributing to the overall narrative that's at play within that province. And that "provincial narrative" in turn, contributes heavily into the game's MAIN QUEST (or, if it's a DLC location, that DLC's primary story beats). And I love how you can review these cleared locations on the map and get a little line for each one indicating what's changed or improved through your clearing of those events and locations. Skyrim gave you a huge playground, but used very little of it for its various storylines. TESO attempts to fill every corner with something that ties in, somehow, to the world around it.

This does a great, great job of actually motivating you to hit up all of these locations. The Daggerfall Covenant's Glenumbra region was REALLY nicely tied together, and I'm now halfway through the next region, and it's proving to be almost as good. And having gotten to Wayrest, I've also been able to kickstart the Thief Guild DLC storyline without "skipping ahead" via the boat travel system. I also have the Orsinium DLC storyline at my fingertips from this region. As I said, there's nothing amazing about the story or characters or writing or voice acting. But the way they've managed to weave the narrative elements and gameplay loops together makes for a fairly compelling product. The MMO-ification has had a drastic simplification effect on the experience (gone are any hints of dynamicism or simulation elements), but the tradeoff isn't nearly as bad as I feared it'd be. And as a bonus, playing this shouldn't cause any burnout against the next more traditional TES sequel we all know is in development.

No fucking way I platinum the game like I did Skyrim. But I don't see myself dropping it, at this point, before at least clearing the main story, all of the Daggerfall Covenant quest lines, the various guild quest lines, and likely a good chunk of the DLC. I'll probably burnout on the game before I hit up the other two alliances, since this Daggerfall Covenant is proving way longer than I thought it'd be. But... who knows...

dubq

ESO has been one of the biggest disappointments in gaming. It feels like a cheap Chinese imitation of elder scrolls.

It's that damn graphic engine they use. Terrible running animations, jumping animations. Some of the ugliest armor and equipment models ever made. No cloaks ever, because the engine can't handle it. No swimming under water, no flying. And the worst UI for an mmo ever made. Everything is on one big list when you look at your bags trying to sort through all the shitty loot you pick up. The loot is so boring and ugly, You can't tell the difference between a lvl 5 noob and a max lvl player wearing the best gear in the game. It all looks the same. A lvl 1 great sword looks identical to a max lvl epic great sword of magical whatever.
And you only get like 5 skill slots that can be active per weapon. Meaning very little skill builds and strategy. Cookie cutter builds.

I've played since closed beta, and every once in a awhile I reinstall to check it out and usually delete it after about an hour.
Wow this is entirely inaccurate. What's with the drive-by shitposting?

SRTtoZ

I've been playing almost every day for a few months now and I am really enjoying it. I finally hit champion level 160 on my healing templar and the combat is really fun, which is quite ironic because I can't stand the combat in other ES games. I bought Morrowind and plan on starting a Warden soon but I wanted to hit 160 before I did. Can't wait to dig into the new continent.

Chris R

Any major gameplay tweaks from the previous version of ESO that warrants someone who doesn't enjoy the game as it is now picking it up ASAP?

If not I'll still grab it at some point to explore around Morrowind.

Caayn

Will they ever increase the draw distance to be more in line with the (vanilla) Elder Scrolls games? The PS2 type fog is keeping me from feeling part of a large world and thus enjoying the game.

Will they ever increase the draw distance to be more in line with the (vanilla) Elder Scrolls games? The PS2 type fog is keeping me from feeling part of a large world and thus enjoying the game.
I just hate how textures stream in on armor. Draw distance sucks too.

justjim89

Wait, so there's no place to turn in crafting writs in all of Vvardenfell? Really kills the immersion to have to warp to somewhere else just to turn in a quest.

dubq

Wait, so there's no place to turn in crafting writs in all of Vvardenfell? Really kills the immersion to have to warp to somewhere else just to turn in a quest.
FWIW, I don't think MMOs were ever about immersion. I mean technically don't respawns, daily repeatable quests and killing the same boss over and over again also kill immersion?

justjim89

FWIW, I don't think MMOs were ever about immersion. I mean technically don't respawns, daily repeatable quests and killing the same boss over and over again also kill immersion?

Yep, that's why I hate the MMO part of this game. But I need my TES fix.

pitchfork

Do we have any idea when the patch will arrive tomorrow on Xbox / PS4? Will it hit at midnight or what?

Patch maintenance starts at 2am (UK). usually takes around three hours and then the patch should drop - assuming everything goes smoothly..

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Just jumped back in after a looong hiatus (since 2014), the game is so much different...it's crazy.

Loving it, inventory space is killing me however (Level 6 - Bleakrock Isle).

I want to give ES:O another chance. I haven't played it since beta. Only problem is I don't want to buy it before I try it. Are they planning to run some sort of trial anytime soon?

Mejilan

Wow. Finished our daily public dungeon with literally a minute left to spare. PS4 megaserver is now down for maintenance, presumably for the expansion's deployment. Do we know when it'll be back up? Didn't see anything about that mentioned on their news page. Just that they'd go down tonight.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Wow. Finished our daily public dungeon with literally a minute left to spare. PS4 megaserver is now down for maintenance, presumably for the expansion's deployment. Do we know when it'll be back up? Didn't see anything about that mentioned on their news page. Just that they'd go down tonight.

Well, if they want to guarantee midnight digital launch, max might be three hours?

B-Dex

My morrowind pre order says it unlocks at midnight pacific.

nynt9

Is it possible to "try before you buy" on the expansion? I hate TESO but I love Morrowind and I want to see how it feels. I know I can f2p the main game but I'm wondering if it's possible to try this expansion as well.

Also, is it possible to create a new character directly into Morrowind, or do I have to go some quests on the dreadful mainland before it's available?

Is it possible to "try before you buy" on the expansion? I hate TESO but I love Morrowind and I want to see how it feels. I know I can f2p the main game but I'm wondering if it's possible to try this expansion as well.

Also, is it possible to create a new character directly into Morrowind, or do I have to go some quests on the dreadful mainland before it's available?
Doubt it, and it's still the same game regardless of where the content takes place. It still feels like TESO.

Creating a new character starts you off in Morrowind, don't know if it's an option or not but I didn't see an option to start off anywhere else.

dubq

The main game is not f2p. You have to buy it, you just don't have to sub. They had a free trial week a few weeks ago though. They may have something similar for Morrowind down the road.

Kard8p3

How is ESO? I played a few years ago with some friends on GAF but haven't played lately, was considering getting back in..

Edit: I use to be subbed to ESO, do I get anything for that?

gioGAF

As a long time supporter of this game, I have to say that the release of Morrowind is probably the best time to drop this game.

It has become obvious to me that the people behind the original vision of this game are gone. Those that are left behind are only interested in squeezing the most they can out of people that jump on the game for a bit and then exit. The current ESO vision is this: "Come on, jump in, get a few loot crates, outfits and mounts, once you do, we don't care what you do since the long term is not our goal!'

Some comments:
- The game developers have this raise the floor / lower the ceiling approach. It benefits the short term player, while just being a nuisance to anyone who decides to play the game longer than it takes to release one update. The current game loop is just to level up, get stronger, then Zenimax rearranges some numbers and drops you back down to where you started, accomplishing nothing in the process.

- The RNG in this game is terrible. This is nothing new, since it is bad in most games of this type. Just thought it was worth mentioning. Most of the time your hard work and accomplishments will go unrewarded. Most sane people just give up on RNG and work with what they have.

- FYI, the overall questing is fairly mundane (go there kill this, go there bring this back, etc.). Some of the small expansions have some interesting things, but are still overall same old, same old.

- Personally, I was annoyed by the decision not to allow long time supporters to purchase Morrowind with Crowns (currency purchased with real cash that prior to this "expansion" allowed you to purchase anything related to this game). This was basically a big FU to long time supporters/subscribers. This didn't affect me personally since I tried subscribing and came to the conclusion that it was not worth it, but I still see it as a dick move.

- Homogenization of classes. They keep eroding the individuality of each class. I have one of each class and as time has progressed, Zenimax seems to be driving them all to the same place. They used to feel different enough, but now they feel mostly the same with very minor variations (especially stamina classes).

- Morrowind changes the classic Elder Scrolls bow attack (draw, hold, shoot your target when ready) to a mind-numbing draw and automatically shoot. While this is useful for fighting some stationary 25 million HP blob, it kills it for anything that actually moves. What about a f'n choice Zenimax? I guess it doesn't really matter since they nerfed the damage of heavy attacks anyway.

Unfortunately, there isn't much of a choice on console when it comes to this genre. I think it is a good idea for most people to realize that those in charge of this game are very much focused on the short term. All of the most enjoyable aspects of this game have been around since the beginning. While they have improved the quality of life in general, most new additions since release are exclusively to milk the wallets of the uninformed short termers. There are many things that long time players have been clamoring for since the game came out that have never been addressed and probably never will be (Cyrodill performance, bugs, useless abilities, etc.).

Down until 5 AM EST I am now hearing from a friend.

Why bother releasing the game here in Australia, today then? I have a physical copy I bought today and installed to my PS4. Though I'm guessing there will still be a massive update to download before I can play as the game's tile and patch history shows no mention of Morrowind.

nynt9

The main game is not f2p. You have to buy it, you just don't have to sub. They had a free trial week a few weeks ago though. They may have something similar for Morrowind down the road.

Sorry, I was unclear. I already have the main game. I still have to buy the expac to get to the new areasor not?

Sorry, I was unclear. I already have the main game. I still have to buy the expac to get to the new areasor not?

Yes, to access Morrowind's content you must buy the game.

If you didn't like ESO as a foundation, you will not like the expansion. Assuming you've played since the largest changes, like One Tamriel.

djnewwest

Banned
As a gamer who used to have your jaded ass view of the game without actually playing it I'll tell ya this.

You're very wrong and you're just bitter and pissy because it's not Skyrim 2. Get over it. World of Warcraft didn't play like Warcraft either. Eq2 didn't play like eq1, prey didn't play like prey, resident evil 4 didn't play like resident evil, Aldi cookies are just as good as brand name.

Play more than an hour.

Dude like I said. I've been playing since closed beta on the PC. But I moved to console once it launched, and yes I did preorder it. I've put probably sunk 300 hours into it, which really isn't that much, but it's enough to validate my opinion.

Feeroper

This expansion is great! I've been playing since early launch on PC (I've been an ESO player since the base games beta), and anyone waiting for tomorrow is in for a treat.

If you are currently not a fan of present day ESO, this will not win you over. It is not the Morrowind experience you may be nostalgic for. However, for those of you who are fans of ESO, its great! They hit all the right notes in being a love letter to Morrowind, but so far it feels like a pretty worthy entry to be an expansion as well.

I've been an Elder Scrolls fan since Morrowind launched 15 years ago, and this MMO really nails the Elder Scrolls feeling in the context of an MMO. It is also very different than most other MMO's out there. For example, I really like FFXIV as well, but that one went more the WoW route. At its heart though this is an MMO at the end of the day, so it wont be for everyone, but if you haven't tried it before its worth giving a shot - you can get the base game pretty cheap and the lack of a subscription fee is a huge boon. It was such a smart decision of them to drop the sub and then implement to One Tamriel update.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
As a long time supporter of this game, I have to say that the release of Morrowind is probably the best time to drop this game.

It has become obvious to me that the people behind the original vision of this game are gone. Those that are left behind are only interested in squeezing the most they can out of people that jump on the game for a bit and then exit. The current ESO vision is this: "Come on, jump in, get a few loot crates, outfits and mounts, once you do, we don't care what you do since the long term is not our goal!'

Some comments:
- The game developers have this raise the floor / lower the ceiling approach. It benefits the short term player, while just being a nuisance to anyone who decides to play the game longer than it takes to release one update. The current game loop is just to level up, get stronger, then Zenimax rearranges some numbers and drops you back down to where you started, accomplishing nothing in the process.

- The RNG in this game is terrible. This is nothing new, since it is bad in most games of this type. Just thought it was worth mentioning. Most of the time your hard work and accomplishments will go unrewarded. Most sane people just give up on RNG and work with what they have.

- FYI, the overall questing is fairly mundane (go there kill this, go there bring this back, etc.). Some of the small expansions have some interesting things, but are still overall same old, same old.

- Personally, I was annoyed by the decision not to allow long time supporters to purchase Morrowind with Crowns (currency purchased with real cash that prior to this "expansion" allowed you to purchase anything related to this game). This was basically a big FU to long time supporters/subscribers. This didn't affect me personally since I tried subscribing and came to the conclusion that it was not worth it, but I still see it as a dick move.

- Homogenization of classes. They keep eroding the individuality of each class. I have one of each class and as time has progressed, Zenimax seems to be driving them all to the same place. They used to feel different enough, but now they feel mostly the same with very minor variations (especially stamina classes).

- Morrowind changes the classic Elder Scrolls bow attack (draw, hold, shoot your target when ready) to a mind-numbing draw and automatically shoot. While this is useful for fighting some stationary 25 million HP blob, it kills it for anything that actually moves. What about a f'n choice Zenimax? I guess it doesn't really matter since they nerfed the damage of heavy attacks anyway.

Unfortunately, there isn't much of a choice on console when it comes to this genre. I think it is a good idea for most people to realize that those in charge of this game are very much focused on the short term. All of the most enjoyable aspects of this game have been around since the beginning. While they have improved the quality of life in general, most new additions since release are exclusively to milk the wallets of the uninformed short termers. There are many things that long time players have been clamoring for since the game came out that have never been addressed and probably never will be (Cyrodill performance, bugs, useless abilities, etc.).
Gotta disagree with you on that front, as someone who's come back after about 300ish hours in vanilla, this game is AMAZING now compared to the ESO experience back then.

I'm well into the EP storyline and all the QoL changes and improvements to every facet of the game....it's crazy improved and a great time to jump in IMO (especially as someone who loves TES lore and such, I reckon you can't go wrong).

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I did well with my magika tank templar, but I'm playing now building a damage dragonknight

should I really never put stats on health and just pump on stamina?

Tecnniqe

Banned
So since I got the Tamriel Unlimited edition thing on steam, does buying this upgrade add the other DLC for the game too or what are those?

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
I'm really trying to get into this game, but is anyone else noticing that on the PC, it is a seriously unoptimised POS? When I hit the cities, I go under 60fps on a 1080ti. Is there some magic setting that I'm missing that causes the game to have non absurd performance?

Tecnniqe

Banned
I'm really trying to get into this game, but is anyone else noticing that on the PC, it is a seriously unoptimised POS? When I hit the cities, I go under 60fps on a 1080ti. Is there some magic setting that I'm missing that causes the game to have non absurd performance?
Yeah cities are killing my FPS on a TI too, my friend complains as well on a 1070 in the city.

Nothing really seem to change that regardless of settings ?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So since I got the Tamriel Unlimited edition thing on steam, does buying this upgrade add the other DLC for the game too or what are those?

those other DLCs are separate (unless you have the Gold edition, and even then it's missing the argonian dungeon dlc)

what the hell?

I still have a bunch of crowns left from a previous sale and was going to use them to buy this DLC.

Tecnniqe

Banned
those other DLCs are separate (unless you have the Gold edition, and even then it's missing the argonian dungeon dlc)
Is this something I will need to complete my game experience? Connecting the story and whatnot up til the expansion? Me and my friend is like level 16 now.

only just got the patch on PS4... *twiddles thumbs, kicks at rocks*

btw, any console players hoping to just buy one copy of Morrowind to share with the other people who use the same console (spouse, kids, your other PSN account with the better name, etc), then you're out of luck. Each PSN/Xbox account will need their own copy of Morrowind, even if they'd been using one copy of the base game.

Mejilan

So, I hear new toons start in Morrowind. All of 'em? How does that work? I feel like I'm approaching the end of the MAIN QUEST now. Reunited the Five Companions and unlocked the Coldharbor region. Though I've since left it to wrap up Stormhaven stuff (Daggerfall Covenant). And maybe Rivenspire next.

Seems to me that the main narrative up until now has been as follows:
Char gen > Coldharbor tutorial > MAIN QUEST + Alliance-specific subplots and regions > Coldharbor zone + climax

With the only changes from character to character being the Alliance-specific subplots and regions (admittedly, the bulk of the gameplay so far). How does the Morrowind expansion work, then? Does it replace the MAIN QUEST with something new? Is it effectively a fourth alliance and set of regions that all new toons follow for the extent of the primary narrative? None of the above?

What does this mean for folks like me, that are knee deep in their main quest already? I imagine I'll continue as-is and can start up the Morrowind events at my leisure by porting or boating into the Morrowind region. Like the other DLCs...

I also know that all characters can play through the other two alliances' content eventually. If Morrowind has essentially become a new alliance for the purposes of driving the main quest, does this mean they've effectively further de-emphasized all three of the original alliances?

only just got the patch on PS4... *twiddles thumbs, kicks at rocks*

Yo, are those new emotes? Where can I buy 'em?
But seriously. Got to play less than 45 minutes last night after work. Just enough time to research some gear trait lines and BARELY knock out a daily dungeon. Then the server maintenance. Was hoping the download would complete overnight, but it didn't even start until I woke the PS4 from rest a little while ago. I did a fresh install of the game two weekends ago. 64GB and change. Now another 42 and change? Hope it's done by the time I get back home tonight! I thought Destiny updates were bad! Yikes.

I logged in this morning to check on the state of the game and everything is installed and working normally. PS4 finally got some damn rudimentary buff/debuff bars out of the new expansion and that honestly was the one thing I cared about. Even though I bought Morrowind I have no intention of playing it till after I finish the rest of the DLC.

Oh gawd, they have a new dwarven spider mount.

Top Bottom